Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I want to use a Pi to host small files here and there. Password protected, able to upload/download from a web interface, mobile-friendly, that sort of thing. Like, let's say I'm at my mom's house and want to summon a picture of my kid for her to see on my phone, or play an MP3 that doesn't happen to be on my current machine/phone. Or a friend wants to upload a file to me and not send it through email.

• HTTP web interface
  • requires authentication
  • supports upload/download
  • need not have many bells and whistles
  • should be able to mount a usb flash drive
  • very easy to install/configure/remove
  • light on the ol' resources

Something like HFS for Windows (http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/).

I'm not super familiar with Linux, but I managed to install a SmallMachines forum successfully from carefully following a couple tutorials, so I'm not a complete dunce. That's my technical level: not an idiot, mostly.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hadlock posted:

Google "owncloud raspberry pi" and setup an annon account

http://www.element14.com/community/...our-own-dropbox

Paul MaudDib posted:

How about Seafile? It's more or less a self-hosted Dropbox server, and I think it's generally agreed to be one of the lighter-weight implementations.

Thanks both, looking into these.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hadlock posted:

I would go with Seafile over Owncloud simply because Seafile isn't written in a garbage language like PHP (as Owncloud is). Seafile is, unsuprisingly, written in Sea C and also some Python

It seems like a bit of overkill for some web-based file hosting, but I was kinda interested in building a personal cloud server, so what the heck. I'll be using this: https://draptik.github.io/blog/2014/04/21/installing-seafile-on-raspberry-pi/

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

$4 more will get one with good reviews from Amazon. Or you can look for one with good reviews on Amazon and see if it's on Ebay.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hm, there really is no way to just throw NOOBS onto a Pi, connect it to a router and just SSH into it. I pretty much have to attach a monitor and keyboard just to activate SSH. Kind of annoying.

edit: NOOBS is not Raspbian, I'm a dumb head.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 28, 2015

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

mod sassinator posted:

Why not just put Raspbian on the Pi? If your router adds hosts to its DHCP server then you can just ssh into pi@raspberrypi once its booted up. You can get a Raspbian image from here (scroll down past NOOBS): https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

Yep, realized this about five minutes after typing up that post. The question then followed as to whether SSH was enabled by default, and the answer was yes.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hadlock posted:

What does NOOBS do for the average user if you're installing Raspian?

It looks like if you flash NOOBS on there and then choose Raspian as your default install you still have to use the colorized text installer anyways.

Nuthin', so far as I can tell. It's still a nice thing for them to provide. It would be even nicer if it had some SSH and command line support on the installer, so I could headlessly install one of the alternative OS's, but it's still pretty nice to have. Unless that's something else I'm missing. Also would be nice to have a bonehead-safe command-line-configurable wireless utility without having to run the desktop... All told I'm still pretty impressed with how easy and fun it is to set up this little Linux box for someone who isn't that familiar with it outside some halfhearted desktop use.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Eh, for me, the Raspberry Pi is like a '63 Volkswagen Beetle. It's cheap, low-powered, fun to tinker with, and works well enough to do some fun and useful things.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I see. Well, if it's something I will be using long-term, I'll look into those other computer things. Something that ran off of an SD card and a flash drive was never going to be a permanent thing.

edit: I'll repeat that my original use case was to just upload and download some files to my phone/laptop on an infrequent basis, not as a robust file sharing platform.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 29, 2015

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm still fiddling with Seafile, but it's way overpowered for what I need it for anyway (just hosting some jpegs and mp3s and documents for my personal use, plus the ability to upload/download). It's pretty educational as a project, though, you couldn't have gotten me to break out my noisy hot netbook to do this kind of elaborate install routine and configuration. But a silent little box running off of a cellphone charger? Lots more fun somehow.

Seafile is actually pretty attractive as a permanent thing, but rather than go after a banana board or whatever, I think I'm more likely to pick up something like an HP Stream or a NUC.

Is there an in-depth list of Raspberry Pi OS's somewhere? I'm looking at maybe using PressPi to put up a Wordpress site, fiddle around with that.

This is fun stuff. And of course I have a spare SD card with RetroPie on it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

mod sassinator posted:

One annoying thing is that you need a Windows 10 machine to unpack the image and get something to put on an SD card. Just an FYI in case you don't have a Win 10 box upgraded yet.

Why? Callin' BS, just push out an SD image MS.

All the same, it's a cool idea, and I look forward to some trip reports.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fractale posted:

there's tons of them all over youtube, including tutorials. this is the most ambitious one i've seen.

To hell with the aquarium, I want my room done up like that.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If you like things all pretty and complete, the $70 Canakit works well for me, who had almost none of the spare bits. If I buy another Pi, I'll probably just get the board and scrounge everything else, but that'll be because Pi #1 will probably be in the living room playing RetroPie, and has to look nice, with #2 being the fuckaround board that lives in a plastic box next to the router.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I guess I was one of the ignorami who didn't look too deeply at Windows 10 on the Pi, but I wasn't expecting a full Win 10 desktop experience, either, but something pretty scaled down, maybe half as flexible as Raspbian, with some disappointing form of their cloud, office, and gaming features roped in. I figured it would be part of MS's attempted entree into schools: cheapo computers with basic computery functions, aimed at poorer schools or better-equipped schools' science and activity labs.

"IoT"-a read the article next time.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Nintendo Kid posted:

That doesn't really make sense. "Use raspberry pis as cheap school computers" has never made sense even if that was the intention. You can't use a Pi 2 without extra keyboard, mouse, display device. You bundle all that up and frankly regular Windows desktops or even low end laptops are cheaper, and significantly more versatile.

There are very few situations ever that you'd have usb mice, keyboards, and either composite tvs or hdmi tv/monitors all ready to go in the dozens but no computers, or with computers but they're so old that the Pi or anything like them would be a step up.

That was extra supposition on my part that I didn't think would happen, but would be very interesting if it did. It would have been not an endgame, but a step toward cheap MS tablets in the schools and the like to compete on mindshare with Apple. All supposition on my part, supported by nothing but imagination.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I think they're partly enamored of the idea of a weakly adorable, cheap machine like the Spectrum ZX in the UK of the 80's. If the design of the Pi really has some dumb decisions more than cost-conscious tradeoffs, that is. They're either being true to a set of values or pursuing a nostalgia.

Maybe they'll use their name rec to push something with a little more umph, but only if it's cheap. From their about page (bolding mine):

quote:

We don’t claim to have all the answers. We don’t think that the Raspberry Pi is a fix to all of the world’s computing issues; we do believe that we can be a catalyst. We want to see affordable, programmable computers everywhere. We want to break the paradigm where without spending hundreds of pounds on a PC, families can’t use the internet. We want owning a truly personal computer to be normal for children, and we’re looking forward to what the future has in store.

There is something in that first sentence, as though responding to common criticism.

I will say this much as a newcomer to the Pi: the low expense and even the low power of the device, are both part of the appeal. It's fun to see what one can coax out of the device, whether its really built for it or not. But there comes a point where, as a consumer--not a student, educator, or hardcore hobbyist--I'm gonna want a next step, and they should be investigating that, or making active, official recommendations for that next step, if they want to really contribute to the idea of "owning a truly personal computer to be normal." I think for kids, the next step is a tablet, which is generally a storefront for consumption, a step away from personal computing.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Nintendo Kid posted:

It reminds me of the original OLPC. They decided to make it gimmicky with some custom Linux OS, then when the actual people who would be receiving them finally got a say, they're like "well we would really prefer if it had a normal OS, preferably Windows, so that we can use the same things the rich folks can". And then people whined about the project being tainted when Microsoft donated free Windows 7 Starter licenses for most of the later ones produced and actually sent overseas.

I always wondered, but never enough to look it up. OLPC was the sort of thing I thought was really neat, but always kinda scratched my head about what the poor African villagers in the pictures were supposed to do when the battery wouldn't hold any kind of charge in 2-3 years, the handle on the charge thing broke, or the kids wanted do something outside of the ghettoized OS it came with.

I even downloaded Sugar, the OS. It... means well.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I think what I would like about the computestick and the HP is that they'd run silent, sip on power consumption, and take up next to no space when headless. Those plus cost are what I'd be looking for when graduating from the Pi. Plus probably decent Linux support.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Raspberry Pi running Seafile report:
  • It's neat and works pretty well for what I wanted it for: to share some photos with family (behind neat stuff like expiring passwords and whatnot) and share small-to-medium files to myself
  • I did a very basic install on the SD card, next will move it to a USB flash drive for a little extra speed and to offset wear and tear
  • Will also do other stuff, like setting all the proper stuff to autorun and figuring out how to tell the Pi to reboot itself when the wireless pees itself
  • I view this as a light use, short term thing, and if it starts getting regular use by more people, will probably investigate other small-box, low power alternatives. Or run this one until the wheels fall off.
Learning a bunch of introductory Linux stuff that I've been putting off for years, so this is a pretty fun little project. Thanks for the guidance, thread. Seafile is pretty boss.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Skarsnik posted:

What's the advantage over using something like Google drive or whatever?

Generally, or personally?

If generally, what eightysixed said, privacy, personal control over your data, a secondary or tertiary means of file duplication and access.

Personally, it's fun, an entree into basic Linux server management, and I can use the knowledge gained to set up a HIPAA compliant file server for the company I work for (not with Pis, of course). Similar reasons to why you'd build your own PC or change your own oil rather than pay a company do it for you.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

What software could I use to stream videos and whatnot to a Roku through the Roku's media streaming app? I guess I can study up on how to use minidlna?

Mind you, I don't want to use the Pi itself to output the video, just stream it to the Roku. I figure that's a lower impact task that's more suited to the Pi, and it's on all day anyhow, may as well get some extra use out of it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

doctorfrog posted:

What software could I use to stream videos and whatnot to a Roku through the Roku's media streaming app? I guess I can study up on how to use minidlna?

Mind you, I don't want to use the Pi itself to output the video, just stream it to the Roku. I figure that's a lower impact task that's more suited to the Pi, and it's on all day anyhow, may as well get some extra use out of it.

As a first step (perhaps a bigger one than necessary), I installed OSMC, and it's pretty slick for what it is. It has a pretty smart installer that asks for your wireless config up front, and gives you the option to boot from an SD and then run from a USB drive (dual-boot OSMC and RetroPie, maybe?).

It'll play SD media just grand and streams to a Roku handily enough for the HD stuff. Runs the Pi pretty hot, though. The USB drives (which it detects automatically and allows you to play media on there with no problem) were like touching the side of a cup of coffee about 20 minutes old.

It's weird, with seemingly well-crafted OS distributions like this it seems that people want the Pi to be something that it clearly isn't designed for as a long-term solution, and I wonder if/when the Pi group is going to respond. Or even if they can. If the board were $60-100, would there even be this kind of community energy behind it?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Karthe posted:

This is the guide I used to get minidlna up and running on my Pi 1 B+: http://bbrks.me/rpi-minidlna-media-server/

My Roku HDMI stick saw it and played stuff off of it no problem. The only issue I've had is that miniDLNA won't start up if I have to power cycle my Pi, but I've chalked that up to my own Linux incompetence. Fortunately it stays running once you manually start the service so I haven't spent all that much time figuring out what I did wrong.

Thanks, this should be a bit less overkill and hopefully will fit just fine with RetroPie (which uses Arch instead of Debian?). I'm starting to like the get-your-hands-dirty approach to getting these things to work, because when the GUI stuff stops working, you're just helpless. The more command-line stuff I do, the easier it is to puzzle things out when they don't work.

edit: works perfectly.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 25, 2015

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

My problem now is I need a real project

I think if I had the knowhow and time I'd do something like the audiobook box this one guy did for his grandmother. It was a box with a button and a speaker. You press the button, and it picks up where the audiobook last left off. When done, it'd read another. I'd make something like that as a smart podcast player/table radio, just hit the button and it goes. Audiobooks I'd just want to constantly skip back 30 seconds to re-hear what I'd missed.

However, I do have a $25 radio that does a pretty good job of this already.

The other thing that takes too much effort for me (and I don't really really need it) is an information display. My cell already does this, but it's an iPhone 4 and it's really slow (and frankly sucks at playing podcasts too).

Also for some reason I'm tickled by the idea of running a BBS on a Pi.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hey man, the PirateBox is what made me consider the Pi in the first place, I wanted something a little more powerful than a pocket router to play with.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is there a way to diagnose how "burned up" your flash drive or micro SD card is? I'm still mostly using mine as a RetroPie and minidlna box, so it's not serving mission-critical files or doing a lot of writes, but I'm just curious. I do abuse the poo poo out of save states, after all.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

So... the only way to diagnose it is to observe shrinking capacity?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thanks for the explanation. I had a cheap 4GB drive once just start loving up writes and failing validation, and wasn't sure that all flash media just went "gently caress you, I'm a black box."

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

monster on a stick posted:

Are the Pi "kits" on Amazon worth it or do they throw in garbage memory/WiFi/etc.?

Bought the Canakit, am happy with it. SD card is Sandisk, WiFi dongle is the recommended brand, case isn't too cheap, no power supply issues, etc. Comes in a nice little box, all arranged like a Birchbox or something.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Back to SD Card questions, I wonder if Raspbian is designed not to do unnecessary disk writes, like with log files and stuff? I know very little about Linux, so I don't know what the average stripped down Debian does in terms of background disk writes.

The lesson's clear not to use a Pi for anything mission critical, but I wonder if I shouldn't just image my RetriPie image right now. It's just sitting there, infected with some digital alheimers that's killing it day by day :ohdear:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Which torrent client should I use with my Pi? It's running RetroPie and minidlna, but is idle a whole bunch, and torrents will be pretty light, maybe a couple GB downloaded a week onto an external flash drive. I'll be controlling it via SSH, don't care about longevity.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Quick dumb Pi/Linux user question here. My Pi is set up with the SSH and HTTP/S ports open on my router (to the Pi only) so I can mess around with it from work and (though not yet) use it as a web server. Currently I use it for RetroPie and Minidlna. I came home after a short weekend vacation, loaded up some pictures on it, and noticed that the temp was kinda high for not being used all weekend. So I ran top and saw about 8 sshd processes running. Weird, I thought.

I don't know much about Linux from the command line/administrative end, and in my paranoid mind I was thinking "Some dastardly individual is attacking my network, maybe," and immediately instructed my router to close those ports. The sshd processes vanish. CPU time goes down to normal.

Likely explanations?

e: vvv Interesting. Guess I'll keep the router zipped up tight until I have a use for the Pi as something other than a sitting duck. And increase the complexity of my password also.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 27, 2015

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Prescription Combs posted:

Get some fail2ban goin' if you want to leave it open to the internets.

Will do. Incidentally, I opened it for about five more minutes and got a Hong Kong IP trying to get in, so there we go.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I feel like we have this discussion about once every three pages.
It's not common knowledge and it's not in the OP. What's common knowledge is "the Raspberry Pi is a popular dirt-cheap computer, and there are 10,000 more projects for it on the internet than anything else."

Raspberry Pi Thread: Don't Buy A Raspberry Pi

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 19, 2015

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Just curious, this is the Pi combo I bought right here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008XVAVAW?keywords=raspberry%20pi&qid=1447983284&ref_=sr_1_5&s=pc&sr=1-5

And a lot of why it's an easy thing to buy is that it's cheap, it's available, it's all in one kit, no waiting for a sale price, all that stuff. It's practically an impulse buy. $70 and it's on my doorstep in two days. Two hours later and Wordpress or something is on it. So I have to spend two more hours in six months to replace the flash card. Big deal. (Right now mine is running RetroPie and is used as a media streamer and a light file server.)

But anyway I am interested in maybe getting something with more horsepower and reliability. What's the next incremental step up? Any complete kits? Something that's in stock right now.

I read the word "BayTrail," then I'm looking at this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B7I8HZ4?keywords=baytrail&qid=1447984102&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Up front cost is $145, but then I scroll down and see this:

quote:

You'll need to order memory, mSATA solid state drive, and a "Mickey Mouse" power cord for the NUC kit. You might also want to order a WiFi card. These are easy to install with the instructions provided. Then you'll need to install an operating system on the mSATA drive. I used an external USB DVD drive to install Windows.
I ordered:
Crucial 2GB Single DDR3 1333 MT/s (PC3-10600) CL9 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Notebook Memory Module CT25664BF1339
Crucial m4 32GB mSATA Internal Solid State Drive CT032M4SSD3
Cables Unlimted 6-feet Mickey Mouse Power Cord
Optional WiFi Card:
Intel Network 6235AN.HMWWB Centrino WiFi Card Advanced-N 6235 Dual Band Bluetooth Retail

Is that the next step up? Something that ends up costing three times as much? I'm not incredulous, just wondering what the reality is here.

edit: tl;dr - I'm a huge baby who demands that people pick my next purchase out for me.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 20, 2015

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Paul MaudDib posted:

This is what you're looking for:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856501011

32GB onboard eMMC instead of 8GB SD card, mSATA socket, non-lovely power adapter included, case comes standard. That's the model with a mSATA socket and the (marginally) upgraded processor over the original. You don't need a "kit", that's the poo poo that's supposed to come in the box when you order a product. I guess you're on the hook for the HDMI cable though.

gently caress, $70 AR. Guess I'm getting a couple more.

Cool. Eyeballin' that for X-mas.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Muad'dib you should start a new thread, man. Save some future effort with one good effortpost, cuz people need to know.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Police Automaton posted:

How many of you are building stuff like ECUs for cars though? In such application circumstances you're usually straight in the Realm of ASICs/FPGAs/microcontrollers anyways. That stuff is ARM country (at the very best) and will be for the future for aforementioned reasons. You do not want any added complexity in such applications there, already alone for liability reasons, especially in products where people can get injured or die when they run into some unforeseen problem. Some complex OS with a 2 GB RAM overhead you just will not find there. Also remember that lots of embedded computing in industrial settings still depends on "ancient" technology like 68k (also RISC) and only in the recent years has seen a switch, mostly because the supply situation of spares is becoming very complicated. A company recently started to produce an 100% pin-for-pin-ready-to-drop-into-old-designs compatible 68020 clone, there's enough need for these old CPUs that it is worth it. New designs are expensive and in stuff like commercial aviation.. forget about it. You don't just go and "change" things there.

This reminds me a bit of those articles that come out now and then announcing that the US Navy has a bunch of nuclear computers running Windows XP (or something else embarrassing sounding). I'm sure that there are plenty of outdated dumb as hell things the military keeps around for tangled reasons, but I'd imagine that certain things you just wait for the funding to replace the whole dang system because who knows what bugs'll crop up.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This a surprise to anyone?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/

It's five bucks. It's made in Wales! It's really small so it probably needs cables to do anything useful to me, but, five bucks.

edit: ten bucks says it'd cost fifteen to get it anywhere near me.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Famethrowa posted:

Just took the plunge and got the starter kit and a usb harddrive. First time ever doing something hacky, going to attempt to make a wireless NAS. Any precautions for a utterly green noob?

Enjoy, and if you decide you want to use something like that full time, transition to something more permanent and pick some other fun project to use the Pi for.