Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

Having your kid tie up your TV set rather than your computer isn't much better really, and of course the set of people of [has no home computer] AND [buys a raspberry pi] is null. Not to say that's argument against getting one, but it's not really convenient.

I see somebody failed logic class. A lot of families have more than one TV, most kids these days have their own TV. The raspberry pi is not for families who lack a PC, it's for families who don't want to gently caress up their only PC because their kid's python program had an "undocumented feature".

Install Gentoo posted:

If you trust kids with a bare circuit board computer to not mess it up, well that's pretty silly. You'd also be relying on them having everything else needed to use it at home (compatible display, input devices, and being allowed to use all them). Tons of people still don't have TVs at home that accept HDMI, and composite SD video is pretty drat crappy for coding and use, especially if this thing can't autodetect when on composite output to adjust display.

If your goal is to have something that students can take home to program on, a netbook or laptop would be far better, since it's more durable and you'll know they'll have the proper input/output.

The raspberry pi FAQ states they intend to have a housing for the device by summer, they don't intend to sell the original bare PCBs to schools. Until we see the device running over composite video I would not disqualify that option. Yeah composite sucks, but it might be the only TV you have without buying a monitor. But if you could read text from an SNES or even better a WII, you can probably read the screen from the raspberry pi.

A netbook or laptop would be nice, although far more fragile (spinning hard drive, hinge, built in crushable screen, etc) and would cost a lot more than $25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Placed an order for a Pi from Newark at 11:45am, got an e-mail saying it was shipping today. Got an e-mail at 5pm saying it will ship 10/26, I am not sure if I should believe that shipping date or not.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Is the Pi Camera a good buy? $25 for 1080P seems like a good deal, but also seems far too cheap. Also, fixed focus seems like it might be a deal breaker but I am just wondering if anyone has experience with this.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

thegasman2000 posted:

My mate is a qualified electrician and he will double check everything before I flick the switch!

The relays are good for 25A which sinker than enough for all except the heaters. They are my worry. The heaters are only on the relays as a backup in itself as they are automatically designed to sustain a temp. That relay would be wired for always on and the relay runs of the heater jams on. This has happened to plenty of people and cooking coral and fish smells lush.

How big is your tank? 240v * 6amp = 6,000 watts, for perspective an 800 watt heater on amazon heats a 265 gallon tank. . . Are you sure these heaters draw 240V 25amps?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Hadlock posted:

There was never once a screenshot of a desktop or a diagram depicting a mouse and keyboard hooked up to a win 10 Pi with a monitor like a desktop.

Your statement is true, but they came pretty close: