Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

I'm in the US and set Raspbian to US UTF8 in the language settings, this is just really strange. I mean, if I type out #include <stdio.h>, the output in nano is £include <stdio.h>, and if I type printf("gently caress my rear end why won't this work"), the output in nano is printf(@gently caress my rear end why won't this work@), and compiling just flat out isn't an option.

That's almost assuredly a keyboard layout issue. Try this... http://elinux.org/RPi_Beginners#Keyboard_layout

Edit: You'll need to reboot as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Has anyone had success moving their root fs to a usb stick? I tried a couple of tutorials but I seem to brick it at some point. I've managed to get the usb stick formatted with a copy of the install on it, but when I switch it over in fstab and cmdline.txt it won't boot any more. I'll try to post some examples of my fdisk and configuration files after this next attempt.

df -h posted:

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs 2.6G 2.0G 469M 82% /
/dev/root 2.6G 2.0G 469M 82% /
devtmpfs 211M 0 211M 0% /dev
tmpfs 44M 236K 44M 1% /run
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 88M 0 88M 0% /run/shm
/dev/mmcblk0p1 56M 19M 38M 34% /boot
/dev/sda1 29G 2.0G 26G 8% /mnt/usb

fstab on the usb stick posted:

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot ext4 defaults 0 2
/dev/sda1p1 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1
# a swapfile is not a swap partition, so no using swapon|off from here on, u$

cmdline.txt on sdcard posted:

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 8, 2014

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

PS. Love the cabin posted:

From a quick glance your cmdline.txt still has root=/dev/mmcblk0p2, also your usb stick would be /dev/sda(part #) so if it's on the first partition it'd be /dev/sda1.

Ah yeah, that's from a fresh install. I had it set to /dev/sda1p1, which is the only partition on the usb drive and has the copy of the fs from the sd card.

Edit: Changing it to root=/dev/sda1p1 gives me this...

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 8, 2014

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

PS. Love the cabin posted:

Unless something changed in the last few kernel versions you don't access partitions like that for USB sticks and things like HDDs.
Partition 1 on your USB stick is going to be /dev/sda1, 2 being /dev/sda2, ect...

So if your / is on partition 1 of your USB stick you'd put "root=/dev/sda1".

Changing it to /dev/sda1 fixed the booting problem. I have some errors about the file system, but hopefully I can work those out. Thanks!

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

YouTuber posted:

I was under the assumption that rpi-update was a jury-rigged hack and that it was no longer needed now.

What, if anything, has replaced it?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Amberskin posted:

You should get firmware updates via the raspbian repositories if I'm not wrong. I have got at least one (and it broke my setup because I didn't had the /boot partition mounted, so it dropped its stuff into the /boot directory of my root HD).

That sucks. Would adding the mmcblk0p1 partition back to fstab as /boot prevent this?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
How do the small 8-core atom boards stack up against older/similarly priced server hardware? The 2758 and 2750 are two models IIRC. I would imagine that they fall short in terms of total CPU power.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I got an rpi0 this morning from Adafruit after getting a notification that they were back in stock, if anyone was waiting.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Prescription Combs posted:

Anyone managed to pick up a Pi 3 in the U.S. yet?

I ordered one but it's still in processing, whatever that means.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Knowlue posted:

I'm finally getting myself a raspi once the raspi 3 is back in stock. It'll just be the board so are there any recommended accessories that I should grab at the same time?

You will need an SD card and some way to power it over Micro-USB at a minimum.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

I've been looking into getting into computer vision for robotics. Do you suppose the Pi Model 3 would have the power to calculate a stereo depth map from a pair of cameras? I'd probably be using only 640x480 resolution for each camera, but I'd need it to reliably handle a good framerate (ideally 90Hz).

20th Edit after some more research... It looks like the Broadcom VideoCore IV in the Pi works with OpenCV now that they've opened up the source. I guess the real question is whether it's going to be worth it to pay more for a more powerful GPU because you're not going to get 90hz out of the Pi. Some quick searching turned up some projects that used the RPi for exactly this problem though.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 17, 2016

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

Well, I might not need 90Hz if I can get good range (my intent was to bolt it to a high-performance R/C truck and have it avoid obstacles at 30-40mph), but I'd certainly need more than the 12FPS people seem to be getting.

I don't suppose there are any meaningful alternatives?

There are some Jetson development boards from Nvidia that will support CUDA and a variety of boards for mobile phone development that will give you access to higher end mobile GPUs and OpenCV.

Bear in mind that most/all commercial vehicles are still using radar for this thing.

Edit: Assuming that you're on roughly flat ground and are trying to avoid relatively uniform obstacles you could take a subset of the image corresponding to the likely area of travel and compress it into a single dimension via an average or some activation function. That would greatly reduce the complexity of the problem.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 21, 2016

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

You mean those things that are way too expensive for anyone other than well-funded robotics researchers? https://www.robotshop.com has a few small LIDAR units for under $2000, but even that's more than I was looking to spend.

I was more so saying that the radar is still the best thing going for production vehicles at this point. All/most of the collision avoidance stuff is based at least in part on radar because its just way more reliable for a +/- of whether or not you're going to hit something 5' away.

The $2 sensors work on the scale of inches, so I don't think they'd work.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

ante posted:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/639
0 - 6.45m

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11307
30cm - 5m

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9494
0 - 7.65m

etc.

They come in a whole bunch of different ranges. Those are the sparkfun options because it took two seconds to find them, but all of those modules can be had for less than $5

Those are cool but they're all $25-$50 dollars.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

Given Sparkfun's prices, you can probably get them from a Chinese ebay seller or AliExpress for single digit dollars. Is what I think ante was going for.

That would be awesome if you could.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

ante posted:

you should probably read the last sentence of my post dude

I'm genuinely asking you to link to the $5 page.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

These aren't the same thing but they're still cool. I have the blue one wired up now.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Baconroll posted:

Anyone know what performance is like when using a Raspberry Pi 1 B+ as as an OpenVPN server ? I'd only be using it for browsing/email - no streaming or intensive downloads.

Would the Pi 1 be fine, or would there be a benefit to jumping to a Pi3 ?

Any would be fine for a single user doing email and browsing, even remote desktop, but there's no reason to buy anything other than the Pi3 aside from availability. That being said, while the Pi2 and Pi3 are indeed faster than the Pi1, if you're really concerned about throughput you probably want something else entirely. There are also CPU instruction sets that make AES encryption much easier which I don't believe the Pi supports. Depending on where you're at on the 'Please don't steal my credit card' to 'I am a high ranking ISIS commander' spectrum of paranoia you might also want to consider whether it can run mainline linux (not the Pi1) as opposed to Raspbian or some custom distro downloaded from China. I'm not saying Raspbian is bad, but crazier things have happened.

See here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES_instruction_set

Fake edit: I'd just like to interject for a moment etc. etc.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 27, 2016

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

eschaton posted:

The Pi3 should have AES if you can actually use the ARMv8 instructions.

Is it possible to use armv8 with just 32 bit? There are some recent posts on the RPI forums saying that 64-bit requires some more work on the firmware compatibility which may or may not happen.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Mantle posted:

How can I reset my network config to stock Raspbian without complete reinstall?

I installed pi hole which configured a static IP, but I'm no longer intending to use the Pi as a DNS server. The symptoms are for some reason both wlan0 and eth0 are assigned the same IP and eth0 isn't able to resolve DNS or ping hosts outside of my LAN.

I've already reset my dhcp leases and configured my interfaces to dhcp but on boot both wlan0 and eth0 still are getting the same IP. I've also disabled the static dhcp settings on my dhcp server.

Help please!

e: Figured it out. I needed to add "auto eth0" and "iface eth0 inet dhcp" to my /etc/network/interfaces file.

The correct answer is to restore the original config file that you made a backup of before modifying.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

fishmech posted:

My only point of comparison is the Raspberry Pi 1 it used to have, but it's a lot faster than that. It's actually pleasant to use for normal web browsing, and the gigabit ethernet is really handy. It's a bit annoying getting up and running because not many people have them yet, but right now it has Debian 8 running fine.

Is that the normal Debian image or something that Pine created?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

osirisisdead posted:

I've been doing some periodic searching for the past year-ish and haven't been able to find something like this.

Are there any good ARM boards available or in the works for Q3/Q4 with 8GB RAM? I've seen some with 4GB, which would be adequate... What about 4GB RAM with USB 3.0 and that can boot from SATA? It doesn't have to be as small as humanly possible, either. I do have some space in this case, but the extra can be filled up with more batteries and maybe some silly poo poo depending on how everything will fit together. I have a stupid genius plan that will involve an upcycled laptop case, a bit of 3d printing, dremeling, hot glue, solder, and the Japanese Kintsugi aesthetic.

Ideally, I want some kind of relatively powerful quad+core ARM SoC with 8GB RAM, USB 3.0, and SATA boot, but I am willing to moderate that based on what is available at a reasonable price, but it seems difficult to even find one with 4GB.

inb4:

I've seen the CuBox 4i4 or whatever, but it's probably going to be too small and not have enough in the way of features for what I want to do.

I've also seen the Juno, which def. has the horsepower and is totally what I would want, but it's one of those ARM Dev boards that isn't really intended for individual hobbyists (though I'm sure that I would be able to get it running) and I'd bet that any inquiries I sent to them would be immediately dismissed. Also, it seems buggy as gently caress, like the HDMI only works with *some* monitors. It's def. not ideal apart from the gross specifications.

---Finally

Does anyone have any experience with any of this company's stuff? This Nitrogen 6MAX seems like it may have everything I would need and that price is acceptable...

https://boundarydevices.com/product/nitrogen6max/

If it doesn't have to be ARM there are a multitude of low-power Atom boards that might fit, although you would have to deal with a larger itx footprint rather than something the size of a playing card. Check out linuxgizmos.com.

If you're building a netbook then you could also look at netbook motherboards sold as parts/replacements.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

osirisisdead posted:

I really do want to do ARM. If I wanted an x86 system, I'd just spring for a Macbook Air...

This is a full size 15" laptop case and so I have a whole lot of space inside and really don't need to worry about that.

The annoying hardware-related part is going to be hooking up the perephrials, like the existing keyboard and touchpad, and routing the connections to external ports.

ARM boards aren't necessarily any more/less powerful than Atom/Celeron boards, and I'm not sure where/how you made the leap from cobbling a laptop together from trash and buying a new Air. What is so attractive about ARM to you?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

osirisisdead posted:

I don't think you realize that I do know exactly what I am doing, and do know exactly what I want except I posted here to see if any goons had any market knowledge that I didn't have. Thank you for your constructive criticism, but I have had my mind set on this project for a few years now and having to compile some code is far from a terrifying prospect. I've hand-edited and compiled kernel driver modules from source. I've cross compiled ARM kernels on this laptop that I am typing on right now and loaded them into a raspi. I'll be a'ight, bruv.

:allears:

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

eschaton posted:

Ugh, sucks to have to always use someone's random image to make these boards work.

I long for the day all of the official distros just work when their image is just put on an SD card formatted for FAT with a custom booter, maybe some driver modules, and a config file next to it.

Same. Downloading random images from someone with an anime avatar is loving gross.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

DeaconBlues posted:

That looks better than the one I'm using. The idea of a cable based solution is to eliminate the need to have the other half in the cabinet also: I've got a UK socket wired to the 240V feed from the boiler switch junction, hence the reason I have a bag taped around the socket/plug combo.

If I had a cable I could wire it straight into the chocolate block connector on the boiler's switch box. The only bulky item would be whatever transformer circuit is built into the cable. I'm assuming this would be much smaller than the current solution.

Please modify your solution to not involve wrapping things in bags and cleartext passwords for SSH.

Less time than it takes to use garbage as electrical insulation in a wet environment: My First 5 Minutes On A Server; Or, Essential Security for Linux Servers

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 10, 2016

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Initial reviews of the largely-unavailable Pine64 appear to be somewhat unflattering.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
After seeing the Pine64 debacle unfold I'm not even mad that they aren't using the new chip to its fullest potential. Whether it's a legit excuse for them to play the 'education' card is a different issue, but they made the right choice.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I got a notice that my CHIPs shipped. Has anyone gotten theirs yet? Impressions?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Has anyone used Pi-hole, the ad-blocking service for RPi? It seems really bloated for something that's just redirecting DNS. I'm going through the source now but my main concern was that it would mess with other things like openvpn if it made changes to firewall/routing settings.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Awesome, thank you.

E: several of those look like they do SD but not eMMC. Or are you suggesting SATA and external power for the drive?

This is a pretty long list but has a short overview of pros/cons for a ton of boards.

http://hackerboards.com/catalog-of-81-open-spec-hacker-friendly-sbcs/

Edit: The XU4 is supposed to be good for stuff like streaming due to having SATA/USB3/gigabit Ethernet on top of comparatively more CPU power.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 7, 2016

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Not having dozens of extra micro-usb chargers is the price you pay for being a bougie apple owner.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

huhu posted:

I've got a Raspberry Pi 3 and one of these: https://www.amazon.com/WEme-Active-...dmi+to+vga+weme and every time I boot up, the screen doesn't initially display anything but after unplugging/plugging various cables it'll eventually display. This happens every time I boot up. Any ideas? I've tried googling but can't find anything about random errors like this.

Have you tried adjusting the values on any of the HDMI-related settings in config.txt? I can't say for sure which one would fix your issue, but there are several related to resolution/signal strength.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt.md

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Police Automaton posted:

Man, that seems way too small and too cheap to be so powerful. Ever put that thing to it's limits?

I have a similar one from a different brand and it works fine with my 2 and 3 and occasionally other random boards connected. Maybe if you had 4 Pis running benchmarks it would crap out but under normal circumstances I haven't had any issues. If nothing else it keeps the cords to a minimum.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

tuna posted:

Not a Raspi but this thing looks interesting and costs $9 for the main unit (expansions and docks are quite a bit more). It's the $9 pricepoint that's pretty awesome along with being pretty small https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/onion/omega2-5-iot-computer-with-wi-fi-powered-by-linux/description

How am I supposed to play my pirated animes without HDMI? Absolute garbage.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

General_Failure posted:

Is there a benefit to having the OS on a USB drive instead of MicroSD? Not including the rewritability of using a USB HDD.

It tends to be a faster file system, but how much faster really depends on how slow your SD card is and how much you're actually being bottlenecked by IO. There's s huge amount of variation in SD cards and USB is not only faster but also more consistent as far as I've seen.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Open EA's Origin and check the logs if you want a good laugh. It's like an alphabetical list of every ad tracker and social media site in existence.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Does pi hole block outgoing Windows 10 telemetry stuff

I think there's a pfsense plugin that does it but pfsense is a real bitch to get configured correctly

No. It doesn't rely on DNS. The pfsense plugin doesn't work either.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Blocking all network traffic works but it has a few downsides. As soon as you run Windows update it's going to do whatever it wants with whatever it has been storing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

This doesn't do anything hth.