Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

Chance posted:

I was surprised that they said worldwide shipping and launch before and yet only have european stores, I mean at least one on this side of the ocean would have been nice.

RS Components and Allied Electronics are both owned by the same company, and they have distributors around the world. So even if you order from the RS site, the item could still be shipped from within the USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

I don't quite get why these are so popular. I would imagine most people who are interested already have, at the bare minimum, one or two low powered linux computers lying around already. I especially don't see how it can be targeted at education but doesn't even come with an enclosure... I don't think one of these would last through a semester of use/abuse by the average high school kid or whatever.

For me, its the ability to have a full Linux computer at an almost trivial cost. I have lots of small projects that I either need to make a dedicated microcontroller board for, or use a full computer (which is larger, uses more power, etc). If I can buy a full Linux computer for $35, it can do everything my AVR based projects can do, but with the flexibility of a full operating system.

Other boards, like the Pandaboard, are much more powerful, but at $180 or so, I don't have the money to buy multiple boards and dedicate one to a particular project.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

peepsalot posted:

I just can't believe they didn't put any drat holes in the board for mounting. :wtc:

You'd be surprised how often this happens with even "industrial" equipment. At work we buy various boards for integration into larger systems and way too many of them lack simple mounting holes. I swear, the designers of some of these boards must have never tried to actually use them outside the lab.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

Cockmaster posted:

Plus I was reading a thread in another forum about the prospect of turning one into a CNC controller, and someone mentioned that there was some problem with doing true real-time programming on an ARM-based system. Does anyone know anything about that? Would it help if the operating system were stripped down to whatever was strictly necessary for running just the CNC software?

This depends on what you mean by "true real-time". Linux in general is kinda lousy for real-time applications unless you use a hard real-time setup, like RTLinux. I think most applications that actually require a real-time OS are going to use VxWorks or something FPGA based. VxWorks runs just fine on ARM, so its not that you can't do real-time, but more if its really necessary. It entirely depends on the application if it matters, and for many things, Linux on ARM is good enough.

In your case, you don't really need anything real-time. For MAME in general, I'm sure it will work just fine, but I'm not sure how many games will actually be playable. A little Googling gave me this: http://wiki.maemo.org/Sdlmame

That's a list of games working on the N900, an older phone that runs Linux on ARM, but with a more powerful CPU than the Pi.

Not applicable here, but at work when we want the best of both Linux and hard real-time, we use FPGA's with embedded PPC or ARM cores. Then you can run normal Linux for the non real-time stuff and still have the FPGA for the hard real-time.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

Just got mine today too! My plan is to replace my Atom based carputer with the Pi. I primarily use the carputer for logging OBD and GPS data using the appropriately named obdgpslogger: http://icculus.org/obdgpslogger/

I've also used the GPS traces for OpenStreetMap. Someday I may try to make a media player out of it, but that'll probably take more free time than I have available these days.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

So other than cost, why should I get a Raspberry PI over a IMX53QSB with a hdmi board?

Cost is pretty much the only reason to go for a Raspberry Pi. The low cost allows me to use them for projects where I'd otherwise be using a microcontroller, but with the Pi, I can have a full Linux distro and the convenience that provides. It also lets you do things that would otherwise require a much larger and more expensive computer. If I wanted something similar with more horsepower and features, I'd probably go with the Pandaboard or Beagleboard since they seem to have a larger community around their development.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

I have been using the leopardboard at work for the last few months, and anything TI is really really lovely. Stay away from the DM365/DM368 in particular. The Omaps aren't bad, but I still hate Cmem and anything TI touches.

edit* The pandaboard is better all around, but I like Freescale in-particular. :)

Well if you like the Freescale stuff, then sure, go for it. The Pi board is all about being cheap, so pretty much anything else will be more expensive and have more features.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about the TI stuff? I've never used the Leopard Board before, but other TI chips I've used has been pretty good (mainly MSP-430 based, which is low end microcontroller stuff). I don't have a Panda/Beagle board either so I guess I shouldn't promote them too much.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

bobua posted:

My google foo is weak apparently, and this seemed like a good place to ask.

Is there an x86 quasi-equivalent to the raspberry pie? I don't so much care about price or performance that much, it's just that every time I start playing with something ARM drivers are unavailable for the toys:(

I guess I should elaborate on equivalent... single board, fanless, tiny. There seems to be a lot in the way of small pc's, but they still tend to be pc's, set up for a real hard drive, external ram, etc. Definitely not something you'd 'embed.'

PC Engines makes some small, fanless x86 boards for around $100: http://www.pcengines.ch/alix.htm
The alix3d3 is probably the closest to the Raspberry Pi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

fishmech posted:

The Intel Compute Stick is very small and costs $180, but it also only has a quad core modern Atom CPU: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Compute-Stick-Windows-BOXSTCK1A32WFCR/dp/B00UZ3CYE2

It's about 4 inches by 1.5 inches by 0.5 inches.

There's also the Minnowboard Max which is a little cheaper at $140 for the dual core version with 2 GB RAM: http://wiki.minnowboard.org/MinnowBoard_MAX