Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
I almost got through on the Farnell site, but ran into errors trying to complete my order. I'm just gonna hold out for the Model A since that has the 256 MB of RAM now, which was the only real reason I was going for a Model B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Install Gentoo posted:

That launched fine, its the delivery that's botched there. Neat thing about that little dealie is that because it's taken so long to be built and sent out, everyone beyond the first 2000 orders gets 512 MB of RAM in it instead of 256 MB. Because the lower RAM amount is impossible to supply, due to the chips being declared obsolete and no longer manufactured, so they had to upgrade the RAM amount in order to have supply.

Where exactly did you hear that? I know the Model A got a boost to 256 MB, but this is the first I've heard of all of them models going to 512.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Crankit posted:

Last weekend I got an email from RS saying my chance to order had come up!!
When I went to the website, the enter payment details page redirected me to the beginning page asking me for the verification code from my email.

I tried to enter it but it said it's already been used, and I can't order a RasPi now.
I used the contact form and haven't had a response.

I got an email like that earlier today and ran into that same problem. I tried again an hour later and it was working. Looks like RS was having some issues with their site.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

KrautHedge posted:

Any word on which xbmc distribution is the best? I heard the recent updates made everything a bit snappier menu wise. I'm really excited about finally being able to use xbmc again. I was a heavy user back when it was just for the xbox, reluctantly switched to a WDTV once I upgraded to a hdtv a few years ago.

The RaspXBMC and Xbian distros are basically just XBMC thrown over a normal OS install, so neither is really "optimized". Plus the guys behind them both seem pretty juvenile with their little scuffle a while back and both sound like highschoolers quickly throwing something together for e-fame. This goes double for the Xbian guy though. EDIT: Nevermind, it goes double for RaspXBMC too.

From what I've heard, the OpenELEC distro is getting a lot better, so I would go with that. Or go full-Linux and get omxplayer and do everything from the command line :unsmigghh:

Toad King fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 11, 2012

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Vinlaen posted:

Anyways... is XBMC + RPi capable of playing 720p/1080p -and- decoding AC3/DTS? (i.e. I'm not using a receiver)

As long as the video codec can be decoded in hardware (h264, VC-1 with license, or MPEG2 with license), it can do HD video with AC3 just fine. DTS might be a problem though, since DTS-HD Master can't do HDMI passthrough because of license restrictions, and decoding that in software might be too much for it.