Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Hi thread, I was hoping you could point me in the right direction. I've been thinking of getting a Pi, but I'm not sure if I'd be better off with an arduino or something, and really I don't know the difference (computer vs. microprocessor).

I was going to use this as an opportunity to learn some new stuff like babby's first introduction to linux, mysql, apache, programming, electronics, etc.

My day job right now is a database developer, though I use a fisher price software (Filemaker) compared to the real stuff like SQL/Oracle. So I'm already familiar with database schemas and high-level programming, but it would be fun to learn something new.

Project Idea 1:
To start, I was going to try and have two temperature sensors log readings to a mysql database every minute / 5 minutes / whatever to basically just log the temperature in our house vs. our basement or outside. No real reason other than "hey this should be an easy enough intro".

Ultimately in a perfect world I would have a database logging all sorts of stuff, interacting with my calendar, weather and whatever other APIs so I could have a dashboard specific to me. Maybe I could monitor my electrical useage or process my YNAB data as well? All sorts of cool stuff!

Project Idea 2:
I'd like to have a device run a query against an existing existing database using ODBC/JDBC, and if there are "unread" records, then control a relay or whatever to turn a spinning police light on. The query would run every x seconds or so to determine whether the light should be on or off.

Now, I'm not sure what devices would best suit my needs. I have an old PC laying around that I could probably throw ubuntu on, after reading the last few pages of "Pi's are pretty much garbage" it's the way I'm leaning (for project 1 at least) since eventually it could be running mySQL/Apache and whatever else I have to throw at it. Project 2 would be fine with a Pi, but maybe it's better suited to an arduino? I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

ElCondemn posted:

Use your old PC as your database and use the RPi for your sensors etc. You could also get a ethernet shield and use an arduino for the monitors but it's a bit tougher to code. The PI is great for lots of stuff, but mostly it's just great for tinkering and testing, or making arduino type toys with higher level languages.

ante posted:

Yeah, it sounds like you're at the level where a Pi would be perfect for those projects. You don't need high reliability or anything, so you'll have a good time messing around. The problems you've been reading about are mostly overstated because we're trying to use it for serious projects where reflashing a card is a huge pain in the dick.

Arduinos are a different beast entirely, and much lower-level, so standalone database stuff like that would be a difficult and unusual and slightly difficult.

edit:
If you want to turn temperature/whatever logging into a Really Cool Thing, then set up Grafana with InfluxDB on your spare desktop running Ubuntu, and send all your datapoints there with your Pi.

Thanks for the advice, is there any Pi model that I should avoid or just buy the best one?