Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yes

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/mediacentre/features/raspberry_pi_supercomputer.shtml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

TVarmy posted:

Maybe he's talking about the analog sound, which makes a horrible pop on stopping and starting?

This was fixed months ago by an updated firmware build (which is a 5 minute job to update)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm using shairport to make a pi in the kitchen show up as an airplay receiver, works great and super easy to setup

You really need to get some kind of usb soundcard though, the pi sound output is pretty awful as it comes

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

heh

http://raspi.tv/2015/raspberry-pi-model-c

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Slanderer posted:

this is such an "epic" "lul"

pranked so hard!!!

Sorry you don't like fun

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Fuzz1111 posted:

Anecdotally - some sdcard's are more prone to corruption than others. I've got a few pi's of different types and have never had an issue with corruption even though I yank power all the time - I'm I using patriot EP's for the RPi-B's, and sandisk extreme pro's for the B+ and 2 (the latter was chosen because it has very good random read/write).

However I've also set up a few for pi's for friends, where I've just used any old poo poo for the sdcard - a few of those have gone wrong, and it's these cards which seem particularly prone to loving themselves:

I should note that most of these pi's are running openelec which doesn't use a swap file/partition and has most things mounted readonly. I do try to properly shut down the pi's running raspbian especially if they are running a gui.

This has been my experience too. I had a pi in work that was getting the power pulled all the time and would need re-imaging every couple of weeks. It had a Sandisk card

After putting a Samsung card in, it hasn't broken once in 2 years

Wasn't there a thing a few years back that said that Sandisk were the biggest target of counterfeit cards being sold online?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

DNova posted:

Welp. That's working fine. Thanks, that saves me some money and hassle.

Would I be asking too much to also add a USB flash drive to the mix? This is a B rev. 2 (two usb ports, 512mb RAM)

No it'll be fine, I do the same all the time

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

if they're $3 shipped why don't you just order a few and pick the best?

Its $3

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

What's the advantage over using something like Google drive or whatever?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

doctorfrog posted:

Generally, or personally?

If generally, what eightysixed said, privacy, personal control over your data, a secondary or tertiary means of file duplication and access.

Personally, it's fun, an entree into basic Linux server management, and I can use the knowledge gained to set up a HIPAA compliant file server for the company I work for (not with Pis, of course). Similar reasons to why you'd build your own PC or change your own oil rather than pay a company do it for you.

That's fair enough, I'm always looking for new stuff to try out on mine, so I might give it a go

The privacy stuff isn't really a draw for me, but a new project always is

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

CloFan posted:

I searched the thread a bit, but didn't find a similar issue-- I also can't find anything online really.

I've installed RetroPie to my 8gb Kingston card, and it boots just fine the first time. Every single time after I expand the filesystem, the thing will boot but emulationstation won't start due to missing files and I get a couple other errors during startup. It seems to hang on 'random nonblocking pool is initialized', but eventually gets past it to just a terminal prompt. I get the Pi logo and it attempts to display some system stats (memory, processor speed, uptime, temp) but all those stats are blank with errors above them.

Is my SD card dying, or what? I'm sure I'm using the right RetroPie image (3.0 for RPi 1) and I'm following the guide exactly.

E: Ah, I think I figured it out. I noticed the SD card was acting weird with an amount of unallocated space, even after expanding the FS. Windows formatter wouldn't really format fully, and the flashing utility didn't care that it was only 4gb instead of 8. Downloaded the kingston format utility and finally I can see the whole card. Reloading the image, but I bet this will do it.

E2: Welp maybe not. Still sticks on the 'random:...' line. Also getting error 'EXT4-fs error bad extra_isize', guess I'll search around for that too.

Entirely anecdote based and without anything to back it up, I've always regretted buying anything kingston

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah Samsung cards have been bulletproof for me

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Moey posted:

The Pi has an RCA out in addition to HDMI. An RF Modulator will take care if everything for you.

The new one doesn't, not without an adapter

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah the emails starting flying in just now, it's on sale everywhere already

Raspberry Pi 3 - Model B Technical Specification

Broadcom BCM2387 chipset
1.2GHz Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A53
802.11 bgn Wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.1 (Bluetooth Classic and LE)
1GB RAM
64 Bit CPU
4 x USB ports
4 pole Stereo output and Composite video port
Full size HDMI
10/100 BaseT Ethernet socketbr
CSI camera port for connecting the Raspberry Pi camera
DSI display port for connecting the Raspberry Pi touch screen display
Micro SD port for loading your operating system and storing data
Micro USB power source

Raspberry Pi 3 - Model B Features

Now 10x Faster - Broadcom BCM2387 ARM Cortex-A53 Quad Core Processor powered Single Board Computer running at 1.2GHz!
1GB RAM so you can now run bigger and more powerful applications
Fully HAT compatible
40pin extended GPIO to enhance your “real world” projects.
Connect a Raspberry Pi camera and touch screen display (each sold separately)
Stream and watch Hi-definition video output at 1080
Micro SD slot for storing information and loading your operating systems.
10/100 BaseT Ethernet socket to quickly connect the Raspberry Pi to the Internet

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You can rotate it with a line in config.txt can't you?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

DizzyBum posted:

Another thing I want to do is create a very simple GUI frontend for the Pi, so when Raspbian boots up it'll display a menu with whatever I want it to run - PC streaming, Emulation Station, Plex client, etc. Somebody has to have done this already. Any ideas?

I'd be quite interested in that too

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That'd be perfect for mine

I've got a pi with touch screen in the kitchen that basically just runs chrome. Its hooked up to speakers and gets used for play music, Mixcloud, SoundCloud etc. Recipes too

Its a bit clunky as chrome is quite slow, being able to run the native apps would be amazing

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I have a pi in the kitchen hooked up to speakers running shairport-sync

https://github.com/mikebrady/shairport-sync

It'll show up as an airplay speaker and works really well

The audio out on the pi is poo poo though, so invest in a usb (or HAT) dac

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I have it running on an old model B, works really well

I think it's really supposed to be run on its own with nothing else on the pi, that's why it's good for sticking on an old one you have knocking around then forgetting about

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

PBCrunch posted:

It works okay. A better option is running pf Sense on an old laptop and using the pfBlockerNG plugin. Same goal, more reliable hardware (including baked in UPS).

Wireless support in pfSense is piss poor, so you'll probably need an access point.

that sounds like a silly overkill solution in the raspberry pi thread but whatever dude

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Its still a full blown firewall that would take god knows how long to configure vs a single line install that does the one job it's designed to do well. You can even power it straight off the usb port of a router

I'm not sure what you are doing to pi's if you find them unreliable, and this isnt exactly a taxing task. It would run on a zero fine

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Completely anecdotal, but I've not had a single card failure or corruption since I got rid of the cheap sandisk ones I started off with and moved to samsung ones

One has been running for 3 years now non stop serving up pictures to screens in a pub. Not a single issue.

If you are needing a device with more power/reliability that costs more than a pi, the pi probably wasn't the right tool for the job to start with

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Now and again in the pub, but then I'm regularly cutting the power to the couple I have at home with no ill effects

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Did you do a full update including an rpi-update on the old pi before you took the sd card out?

It might just need an updated kernel and drivers depending on how old it is

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

This is cool:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/pi-3-booting-part-ii-ethernet-all-the-awesome/

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Make sure you do a full apt upgrade, and an rpi- update then give it a go

It should work, but its not like you've got anything to lose

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

All the drivers are in the kernel though, its not like you have to download a different version of raspian depending on which pi you have

A fully updated sd card should work in all 3 (well, with an adaptor)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Frobbe posted:

i can recommend https://www.hifiberry.com/dacplus/ (especially if you're in europe)

Ive got a pidac+, works real nice

http://www.iqaudio.co.uk/audio/8-pi-dac-0712411999650.html

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

A dist-upgrade

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I have this running in a cronjob

code:

ping -c4 192.168.1.1 > /dev/null

if [ $? != 0 ]
then
  echo "No network connection, restarting wlan0"
  /sbin/ifdown 'wlan0'
  sleep 5
  /sbin/ifup --force 'wlan0'
fi

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The XKCD Larper posted:

My Rpi Model B has corrupted the memory card upon power loss a few times now. It's incredibly inconvenient. What can I do to prevent this from happening?

For what it's worth, since I stopped using cheap sandisk cards and switched to Samsung I've not had a single one corrupted, and this is across multiple pi, for years now. All of which get the power yanked

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Same size and brand sd card yes (or all bigger than the one you're copying from)

They're not all quite the same size between brands, so if it's a fully expanded card image, sometimes it won't fit

I've always wished the raspi-config file system expand did it bar the last few mb to avoid that

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 20, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've been using it for a while now and its doing a great job, only issue I had recently was one of the lists it was pulling from was blocking a Google api that stopped hangouts and a few other bits working in chrome

The recent updates to the web interface make it a lot friendlier to use too

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Realistically I don't have the money for that unfortunately, but I do have a pi I'm not using for anything serious.

e: it is crazy to me that kodi on a pi seems to be the only low-cost option for airplay receiving. That I can't even use my iPhone as an airplay receiver is dumb as gently caress.

I've got a pi running shairport-sync that does this, a quick Google suggests it works on ios 10 but I don't have a device to test that out personally

Its updated regularly and the dev is very responsive

Be warned the audio output on a pi is trash, you'd definitely want a dac for it. You can get cheap usb ones

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

GobiasIndustries posted:

That's unfortunate. I think their receiver is using all of its HDMI inputs, but if there's a spare one, would the audio output be better from that compared to the rca out?

I've never tried it to be honest

By cheap I mean 5 or 6 pounds cheap, something like this:

https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/accessories/xbmc-media-and-sound/usb-sound-adapter-for-the-raspberry-pi

e: tried shairport-sync with an ios 9 ipod, worked perfectly

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 28, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Lord Windy posted:

I have issues with my raspberry pis SD cards corrupting after blackouts and other events. I use it to run several things so it's a pain in the butt when it dies and I have to recompile all my stuff.

Would eMMC be a solution? And if so would it be dooable on a raspberry pi 2 or 3 with ubuntu 16.04? Otherwise are there any other solutions?

This comes up every time but there are a few of us here who have experienced zero corruptions since switching to better quality sd cards

In my case Samsung ones, but really just not cheap sandisk ones

Multiple pi, over many years, all getting power yanked

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Pi's can network boot too I think now? So you could drop the card entirely in theory

Never tried it myself

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Super Slash posted:

Dangit, I ordered a JustBoom Digi Zero pHAT which finally came in the post today but I can't get it to work.

I've used LibreELEC, DietPi/Kodi, OSMC and none of them can detect the board. Is there any kind of detection tool out there to check if the GPIO pins are working properly? I haven't done any soldering since I was in high school but I did an alright job of fitting a bank of 40 pins, but I have no idea if that's the issue or not.

EDIT: Well there's a little progress, I can get OSMC to see the soundcard after dicking with the boot config.txt file but the select passthrough device is completely greyed out. So I can get 2.0 sound out of some videos but anything which uses dts etc plays mute.

Stuff like that usually requires an overlay loaded in the config.txt, and possibly disabling any onboard sound

Online documentation for it seems rather lacking though from a quick google

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I don't have it handy, but I had a script that would read out the ip address on boot, so you could just plug in a pair of headphones and it would tell you :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I was getting power issues with what should have been a plenty good enough supply and it was a poo poo cable causing it