Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaludan
Jul 2, 2009
Seriously looking forward to this.

I'm still expecting the company to get bought and liquidated by a major manufacturer though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaludan
Jul 2, 2009

nickdab posted:

Right now, I don't think we have to worry about that. I was listening to tuxradar and from what they were saying it sounds like everybody on this project has a day job and this is just a thing they've been doing with their free time. I'm sure that if it generates enough interest somebody will try to figure out a way either to make a profit off of it or to destroy it, though.

I hadn't thought about putting XBMC on it and making a media center, but that is a brilliant idea. You could have a really cool HTPC setup for under $100. I'm excited about all the cool things dedicated hobbyist could do with a system this cheap.

Liquidate might not have been the right term. Throw money at to slow down or impede is what I was getting at. HP and Dell make major bank off of keeping the cost of the entry level PC higher than it needs to be.

Based on it's size, price, and the fact that it's capable of 1080 HD playback means it's going to bump heads with everything trying to exploit the media trend of online streaming services and remotely hosted home office solutions.

I imagine a comparison to the incumbent automotive industry quashing electric car technology would be apt.

I could also just be a negative nancy.