Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.

poemdexter posted:

If I can shove this inside of a gutted atari controller, I'll have the coolest media center PC ever.

I question if it would be possible to stick it into a modified or custom one and use the joystick as the mouse and the button as the mouse click. Of course you would need to have a external cable to connect it to the television/extra power for the controller. But that would be loving awesome if it could work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am having a hell of time just trying to get this thing to connect to the internet. I bought a model B "starter kit" from a seller on amazon and had a bunch of problems with the SD card it came with and had to get a new one, way back when I got it the wireless dongle would connect just fine but now it refuses to. Now the wireless connects but for whatever reason my router refuses to give it a IP. WPA GUI says everything worked when connecting but ifconfig shows no IP associated with it.

When connecting with wired it seems like the RPi attempts to connect but the interface seems to reset multiple times as the LEDs go off for a few seconds periodically and all I get from the router is a the LED indication that the device is attempting to connect but nothing ever comes of it. I even tried the net install and had the same issue.

Starting to feel like I got a faulty Pi. Another thing is the wireless dongle randomly resets the Pi after running for a bit, which again when I initially got it I was able to connect it for a few hours with zero problems. The ethernet never worked even with different cords and ports on the router.

I am at a complete loss as even the loving ethernet cord should work without error especially on a net install.

Should I just say gently caress it and buy a new RPi to see if it works without error? Or could these issues be cause by a faulty power supply?

Another issue I had is with RaspBMC/OpenELEC not recognizing the mouse or keyboard, the only fix I found was SSH into it and forcing it restart the keyboard/mouse. Would prefer a more solid fix though.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

TVarmy posted:

You might want to try with a different Wifi adapter (the Pi works with a lot of common chipsets, so if you have one lying around, it'll likely work) or ethernet cable and see if the resets keep happening. You might just have a bum wifi dongle, or something could be wrong elsewhere.

Also, post the model of the wifi adapter if you can find it.

EDIT: Also, how much stuff do you have plugged into USB? Wifi on its own is okay, but if you power more than that without a powered hub, it can get crashy or glitchy.

EDIT2: I see ethernet doesn't work, either. Baring power issues or multiple faulty cords/router ports, that's pretty concerning. This is the same with every SD card image? Also, consider another power adapter. A name-brand tablet charger might be a good thing to try.

I was able to get the USB wifi dongle to work just connected to the pi, but it gets constant resets now if I connect it, well it usually boots fine then sits at the login for about a minute before restarting. Have been dumping everything through a powered USB hub that has 10 ports. But even with just the dongle connected it does not work, again this worked back when I got it and was messing around with it. Will have to try another USB wifi antenna I have to see how it works.

I am using the power supply that came with the pi which is rated at 5V 1A, it is connected through a power strip though. Will try a nexus 7 charger, think it is underpowered though.

Here is the USB wireless dongle
Apparently same chip as this, just unbranded.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MTTJOY/
http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=48&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=274

With the wired it seems like every image I have tried it will not work, did not try all of them only raspbian and arch. Arch is prolly not a good example as it did not even seem to have the drivers installed as ifconfig IIRC did not even dump the loopback.

Something really minor but NOOBS that came pre-installed on the SD card failed at installing anything, which makes me suspicious that they never made sure that the most of the products worked correctly. A fresh install worked fine and it could have just been a bug with the version installed.

Will do some more tests tomorrow with all the images and post results, thanks for the help.

Is there any good external power sources that are somewhat compact, I want something that can last for several hours and power a pi, a dual antenna wifi receiver (USB is enough to power this, at least desktop is) and possibly a external cased harddrive. Going to stick all of this into a backpack so a full on battery pack that is not too heavy would prolly be perfect.

Also, I want to be able to SSH into the pi without it connected to a router. Would I have to set it up as its own AP or is it possible to set this up over bluetooth via a dongle or some other way?

Edit: Just tried the wifi dongle on my windows system, was able to connect to the router and obtain a IP so have no idea what the pi's problem is. Could just be raspbian having problems setting it up.

Jeesis fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 15, 2013

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

Able to run both a edimax dongle and this monkey at the same time without hub.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041RFWZ6/

I am using a 2.2 amp power adapter though, also worked fine with a 12000 mah usb power brick. Initially could not even run the dongle at 1.1 amp

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

eddiewalker posted:

What about one of these things as a power supply

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00828VFT2/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_Kpsxtb0WXMHH9

I honestly don't know if the solar is enough to power the board while also storing an overnight charge in the battery. If not, you could get a big 15000mAh one and "sneakernet" the power every few days.

That project sounds better suited to an arduino, though, especially if you want to get power draw down.

Just bought this, and going to get it tomorrow. Going to see how well it runs the Pi. The power draw will prolly be too much for it to charge but I will see.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

This is what they are prolly looking for. Hold it down for 2 seconds and it properly shuts down the system and cuts power.

http://www.mausberrycircuits.com/products/illuminated-led-shutdown-switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

Are they bullshitting themselves that the pi is meant for learning only? Because I would love to see them put in a better gpu and stop piping ethernet through usb.

Also, thinking of using a pi connected to the auxiliary port in my car to play music. Is the jack a piece of poo poo? How hard would it be to pipe just audio through hdmi if it is.

Any of the touch screens available able to handle below freezing temperatures/how hard would it be to get a replacement touch screen meant for cars and connect it to a pi?