Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

thelightguy posted:

Please enlighten me on the "up to date" release you seem to think is between Debian stable and testing.

There isn't one. That's the point I'm making, debian is either outdated or unstable. This is a common criticism.

thelightguy posted:

So if you don't like scratch, you must not like LEGO Mindstorms, PureData, Max/MSP, BASIC, or any other language that doesn't adhere to strict standards of being loving inaccesible for non-coders.

Or, you know, I don't like languages you can't use to make real software with being pushed as something worth learning. Even BASICs can be compiled and use the OS APIs without needing a few hundred megs of horseshit dependencies. Acorn did that a lot.

thelightguy posted:

Once again, nobody is using GCC. If you're using scratch, you're using its interpreter, and when you step up to python or ruby, you're using the interpreters again. No GCC. Period.

Actually, I'll just C&P this over to the Raspberry PI thread so they can have a go at you.

So you're basically saying that the Pi is going to encourage kids to get into coding by letting them play with interpreted languages nobody ever uses. I'm sure that's a good idea, after all "Techsoft 2D design V2" was a great thing for me to learn at school in a world where people actually want to see AutoCAD or Solidworks on your CV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

thelightguy posted:

Django sure isn't serious work, huh guys? Amirite? Ruby on Rails? Hobbyist level, at best.

You can't retroactively drop things into the conversation and say I've made a statement about it when I haven't.

For real though? gently caress ruby on rails, or any other web developer interpreted horseshit. The last thing we need is more idiots trying to turn the web browser into an application platform.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

thelightguy posted:

I'm sorry, I figured you read what you quoted where I said that they'd step up into python and ruby. That was in the original post pre-edit.

Tell me more about how you totally said Django :allears:

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

thelightguy posted:

Django is a framework on top of python. Grats for not knowing your web technologies. :)

That's cool. I'm going to mention the top of the empire state building when people discuss the earth's molten core.

What do you mean it's irrelevant? It's built (miles) on top of the core!

I'm still giggling over real languages "being loving inaccesible for non-coders".

I mean, wouldn't that mean nobody could ever become a coder? Wouldn't the pool of coders be limited entirely to those who created the languages they use?

Or maybe you could man up, read "C for dummies", and start cranking out actual real software. It might not do very much at first, but at least it's in a language people use to do real things like create the browser and OS you use to have this argument with me.

If course a good start is an OS where the compiler can be trusted, so I point you to the PCs running windows the schools already have. drat, a saving of £20/student and an OS they already know how to use, too.

doritos fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 26, 2012

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

thelightguy posted:

Tell me more about how having a background in a language is irrelevant when working with a direct superset of it. :allears:

Tell me more about dragging the argument away from what it's about into petty semantics about website backends.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

thelightguy posted:

The RPI allows schools to get a computer for every kid that has an IDE pre-installed along with several high-level languages that are useful in the real world, and a couple that simply serve to teach programming concepts. The cost of getting a comparable package from an approved vendor would be several orders of magnitude higher than the $35 they're asking for the Pi.

Why again do you think it's a bad platform?

Scratch is identical in concept, yet lesser in learning value to Kismet, which is part of the free UDK. The UDK also has the bonus of interesting kids because it's loving video games. Scratch is free and you don't need a Pi.
Python is free and you don't need a Pi.
C is free and you don't need a Pi.
Ruby is free and you don't need a Pi.

$35 isn't buying you any software. It's buying you the opportunity to spend more money on KVM switches, plastic cases and USB hubs.

thelightguy posted:

Why again do you think it's a bad platform and/or an overpowered audrino?

1) it's a slow linux computer that costs money. There is no gain over computers everyone already has, if taken as what it was said to be: a machine to teach programming in schools.

2) it's only actually having success with people using it as an embedded board for gimmicky poo poo.

doritos fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 26, 2012

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

thelightguy posted:

Visual Studio is $400+.

No it isn't. Schools don't pay full retail, they get educational discounts.
Express edition is also free.

thelightguy posted:

A PC is $600-ish.

Schools already have these. There is no cost here because they already have them. Best Buy don't charge you the cost of your TV every time you turn it on.

thelightguy posted:

Schools don't just go and install random OSS packages without a support contract.

I can tell you they do.

thelightguy posted:

A Raspberry Pi is $35 and includes an IDE, hardware, and support. (Granted, it will probably cost the schools slightly more for their support contracts, but it will still come in far under the $1k+ a seat that a PC would.)

Schools already have PCs in them. There's no cost to save here, there's already computers in the building. Hundreds of them.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

doritos please stop debating the merits of the Raspberry Pi and let the folks who have one go back to talking about them.

I wasn't the one who dragged it in here, but ok I'll stop.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is anyone's (in the thread) kid using the Pi as a modern day C64 yet?

Just wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey has the Raspberry Pi become anyone's kid's Commodore 64 equivalent yet?

Just checking. Thanks.