Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I don't quite get why these are so popular. I would imagine most people who are interested already have, at the bare minimum, one or two low powered linux computers lying around already. I especially don't see how it can be targeted at education but doesn't even come with an enclosure... I don't think one of these would last through a semester of use/abuse by the average high school kid or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Does anyone know how difficult programming the GPIO will be? I will find this much more interesting if the GPIO is easier to work with than it "normally" is in Linux.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Earlier in the thread I posted that I was not so sure why anyone would want a raspberry pi. Well I think I finally thought of a project I would like to do with one. It would be what I am creatively calling a "server room helper" because I haven't seen something exactly like it. It would use a USB hub and a handful of USB-RS232 converters so it could act as a console server (which is nothing new) but it would also have temperature probe inputs (either USB or through an add-on card that connects to the GPIO). Of course you can get all of this separately but the cost can be pretty high. For example, a single ethernet enabled thermometer can set you back $200. I'm sure there are other features that could be cheaply added but that's all I can think of for now.

Unfortunately the pi still isn't "widely" available, so I might use a beaglebone instead. The beaglebone has four RS232 ports on the expansion connectors, so it would result in a less cluttered solution anyway.

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 15, 2012

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Is there a more powerful version of this thing out there/in the works? I'd love to have something that competes with modern top end x86 chips but uses much less power to crunch WCG on.
There is an updated Beaglebone in the works, which I am pretty excited for. Pre-order info here.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Incase anyone else is interested, the updated Beaglebones just became "available" from Newark. They're $45 a pop and should be much more powerful than the Pi (although who knows if a community will spring up to do an XBMC release or whatever). Ship date looks to be May 13th, so hopefully I won't be in for too wild of a ride to get mine.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

armorer posted:

Maybe I am missing something, but it doesn't look like you can "Register your interest" yet if you live in the USA.
Here's the direct link

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Yeah, I am mainly interested in using it as a platform for screwing around with some random hardware controlled through python scripts. I looked at the pcDuino but it just looked a little goofy. So I'm hoping this platform will really catch on.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Beaglebone Black update: Newark sent me two of them, even though I only ordered one :woop:

The default Angstrom distribution was pretty meh, but others might like it a lot more because it includes a javascript library to access the I2C and GPIO, etc. I ran 'opkg update && opkg upgrade' and it bricked the install. Fortunately, booting from microSD still works perfectly. As long as you have a Linux machine, you can easily make an SD card with Ubuntu, Debian, or several others. Right now I'm running Debian (console only) and it's awesome to have any package I could ever want available. I popped this wifi adapter in and was able to get it running without a lot of problems. I need to get a micro HDMI cable before I can evaluate the video performance.

Overall I would say, there are so many advantages to the BBB compared to the Pi, I really think its just a matter of time before it gains a large following.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

nmfree posted:

Is there a beginner's guide to this anywhere that's appropriate for a total dumb :downs: like me? Is this a good explanation?
For the most part, you can install this python library and be off running. It will do the dumb device tree garbage for you. You must run a 3.8 kernel to use it. The basic areas where the BBB is a pain in the rear end are:
1 - kernel. There is a kernel maintained by a guy named Robert Nelson, and now TI has finally jumped in and started providing kernels you can apt-get install. You have to read forum posts and wikis to figure out what the gently caress is going on with kernel releases, what is broken in each one, how to deal with the device tree stuff, etc.
2 - cape manager - this is a silly idea to begin with (IMHO), it is supported and available in some kernel versions, and not available in others. Kind of defeats the whole point.
3 - device tree garbage - there are two different versions of the device tree compiler, and (for example) Robert Nelson has made tools to manipulate the device tree overlays in one way, while others have done it differently, etc.

Basically just pick a 3.8.x kernel from Robert Nelson, install the Adafruit library, and it will make the SPI, I2C and GPIOs available to you. It's mind blowing that something so simple has become so convoluted, but hey, here we are.

Edit: Adafruit also has quite a bit of good info, there is a Device Tree 101 in there somewhere.

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 3, 2015

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Thought I would share a project that I helped a buddy with. His catte incessantly loving meows so we decided to build an automated feeder using a model B pi, some PVC, and one of these augers to convey the food from a vertical PVC tube into a T junction, and finally into the bowl. You can just see the tip of the auger protruding.

Sometimes the attached webcam manages to catch a glimpse of the action.

Catte meows less now.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I assume CUPS has some kind of log file, can you post it for us to read? That's usually step #0.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm just going to reformat and reinstall. I'll post any errors I get after I've started fresh.
Glad you got it working, but just for the future... this is not how you make stuff work in linux. In windows, yes, reinstalling fixes stuff, but generally speaking it doesn't help in linux.

I advocate a couple rules for linux newbs trying to make stuff work:
1 - always make a backup
2 - always make a backup

In this case, what you'd be backing up is the cups config file. That way you can edit and configure stuff with impunity. If you feel that you broke it, just replace the config with the backed-up original and try again.

/neckbeard rant

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Dylan16807 posted:

Well if you break the config trying things then you need to reset it, that's the same no matter what your OS.

And reinstalling is like restoring a backup, but easier.
The second area where linux generally differs from windows is that resetting rarely, if ever, helps things. If you think a service is misbehaving, you restart that specific service, rather than rebooting.

When I say "make a backup of a config file" I mean:

cp cups.conf cups.conf.back

To go back to your original config:

cp cups.conf.back cups.conf

And then restart cups.

That whole process takes seconds and is way faster than reformatting and reinstalling.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

You can usually google for "<distro> default smb.conf" or something like that if you absolutely must. Much easier to just make a backup first before you start hacking it up

^ I've never tried extundelete before. I will have to give that a go some time.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

When I have to do lots of coding on a remote machine, I make a network share (either samba or netatalk if you have a mac), mount that, and edit remotely. Then you can use whatever IDE you want. Of course you will still need to SSH in to run and/or compile but it's easily worth it.

My preferred text editor is still vim though if I do need to edit through command line.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

CashEnsign posted:

Is it possible to make an app for Android that will sned push notifications and play music when a Pi sends it a signal?
I'm way late, but here is now I send notifications to android devices without any apps. You need to know some python and have some patience to get it working.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

The Liva doesn't, but if you can name some names that run x86 that do please feel free.
The original PC standard included the parallel port, which is GPIO. :raise:

quote:

My suspicion is that (all things equal) ARM tends to have better hard-realtime performance characteristics than x86 due to architectural reasons. However ARM are usually weaker than x86 counterparts. And running GPIO directly on the processor, on a non-realtime OS like Linux, is not really the best way to do things. Many (if not all) practical tasks are better handled by a hard-realtime daughterboard like a Bus Pirate for I/O, or things like an FPGA for clock-sync'd logic.
I'm dying to know why think ARM has better realtime performance than x86

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

Cool bro, but how is the IBM XT standard from 1980 relevant to single-board computers in 2015? Nobody here is running an IBM 5150 PC, you have to make the case for why that standard matters if you want it to stick.

Highly-microcoded architectures are inherently inferior to RISC architectures for hard-realtime applications because the execution time is longer and less predictable.
Yes, an x86 processor is faster in the long term, but in terms of millisecond-level interrupt handling, how do you know what your CISC processor is going to do behind the scenes with out-of-order superscalar execution and all that jazz?

CISC processors (like x86) can't really guarantee hard latency times nearly as well as a RISC system. And poo poo like an FPGA with a hardware-defined clock signal than either is infinitely more reliable because you forego the hassle of clock/edge sync.
I'm definitely not your bro

Though that book appears to be published in 2012, on that page the only reference cited is from 1991. A lot of the points raised would have absolutely made sense in 1991, but now I'm not so sure. Intel's R&D has done some pretty amazing things to x86. I took HPCA last semester and we used only a very dumbed-down model of the pipeline, and I could see how while the out of order capability may make sense as an argument, there's also so much room for optimization that we never touched on. But anyway, it was just funny to see you poo-poo on x86 latency and then suggest a Bus Pirate as a better way to do things. No latency there, no sir!

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Can anyone recommend a resistive or capacitive touchscreen solution that has good driver support "off the shelf" with raspbian or some other popular distro? My brother-in-law has been bugging me for like 2 months trying to compile, install, and do xorg config for some random POS touchscreen he got off of ebay or something. At this point I just want to tell him "buy this, It Just Works"

He's trying to do a carputer, so like 7-8" size is preferable I suppose. Thanks for any ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I do know about that one, but had hoped to hear a first hand "yeah, it does actually work" or see other options with higher screen resolution because I know he'll complain about that. I should have mentioned that I knew about the "official" touchscreen though.