Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011
Rufus does a lot of things to SD cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011

eschaton posted:

What kind of performance could I expect out of an SD card? I'm seeing some inexpensive cards rated for 90 MB/sec read and 50 MB/sec write; can the Pi (or other comparable SBC) get anywhere close to that? Or is 10-20 MB/sec all one can expect, no matter what the card can handle?

Definitely limited by the RPi. I recently switched some cheap SD card to a Samsung Pro one. While the Samsung had a 90MB/s read and 63MB/s write throughput on a USB 3.0 stick and the cheap card managed to pull slightly over 30MB/s read and 20MB/s write, both did exactly the same on the RPi with about 15-17MB/s. Boot times and system reaction in general felt the same.

Now I can only hold on to the hope that the Samsung Pro flash chips are slightly more reliable :ohdear:

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011

spiny posted:

I'd love to, but that costs (more) money.

Take a look at the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite, its price is very close to the Pi3+stuff and does a lot of routing and vpn in a well done web management interface.

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011

LochNessMonster posted:

Not really an rpi question I guess, but maybe someone here tried to set stuff like this up before.

I realize I could just install raspbian and run the software on the rpi, but I want to get some hands on practise with docker so I figured this might be fun to do.

Resin has a lot of useful images which are made for all RPis. No need to run x86 binaries on arm with qemu.

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011

Hadlock posted:

I'm curious if the latest round of NUCs if they use USB-C for power. At that point you could just plug an Arduino in to it for the IO pins.

The integration of usb-pd over usb-c isn't going very fast, especially for stationary devices. Manufacturers have to take a look at how awesome the yoga 720 plugs into a lenovo p27h, one cable goodness :swoon: