Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Yeah, I ordered mine from Newark CA this morning.

Based on the order confirmation, expect to be waiting a long time.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

So launch-day orders have just slipped again...from March to August.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

My element14 said Mar 31. As of today it says August 16.

There's a thread here with people in the same info:
http://www.element14.com/community/message/48146#48146/l/re-ship-dates

And a cursory glance around Twitter says the same thing:
https://twitter.com/rglenn/status/185049599269023744
https://twitter.com/y0shiy0shi/status/185037050377015296
https://twitter.com/damienp/status/185022650115035136
https://twitter.com/Haaner/status/184170714939654144
https://twitter.com/jpmens/status/183268788840570881
https://twitter.com/web_martin/status/183174108643737601
https://twitter.com//jejernig/status/182636094465122304

Only one post on the forums though.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/general-discussion/march-30-shipments-pushed-to-august-16

Come August I won't even be living in this country, so I'm going to have to cancel.

Best launch ever.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 28, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

I don't think anyone at element14 knows what's going on.

An employee DMed me on Twitter, seemed confused about Raspberry Pi's tweet about emails going out, and wanted to know whether I did actually receive the information in an email from them, or whether I just looked up the order.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

quote:

Update, 6pm Mar 28: we have spoken with BIS this morning, and they have confirmed that, given the volumes involved and the demographic mix of likely users, any development board exemption is not applicable to us; as a result, even the first uncased developer units of Raspberry Pi will require a CE mark prior to sale in the EU

Jesus loving Christ. Couldn't you have contacted the UK Government a little earlier? Even a week ago when your manufacturers were disagreeing about CE compliance?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Lukano posted:

Yes they are. I have no idea why they are, as both RS and Farnell have stated it's just the EU that concerns them re: shipping 'dev boards' without CE... but alas, many of us North Americans are also seeing the delay.

Also sup Javid :D

Because FCC certification is also required.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 31, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Longinus00 posted:

I think they were counting on it falling into the same category as beagle/pandaboard. I bet the reason they're running into the issue is because the project is so popular.

Except that (recent) Beagleboards and Arduinos etc. are certified for this very same reason.

They're running into the issue because they're loving incompetent and didn't ask the actual government agencies and bodies like they should have rather than just googling Beagleboard reference manuals.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 2, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

~Coxy posted:

With the atv3 coming out recently they probably lost half their potential customer base so they're really letting themselves down first and foremost with the screwups.
Anyone who bought an ATV3 specifically for XBMC over a Raspberry Pi is an idiot.

Despite all the delays and missteps, you'll still be able to get a Raspberry Pi in your hands well before an ATV3 jailbreak.

It's been 18 months since the last bootrom exploit, we've seen absolutely zero for A5 devices despite a year on the market, and it's extremely difficult to create userland jailbreaks on the ATV with its much smaller software footprint.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 2, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Tiger.Bomb posted:

The rpi is also likely to have difficulty decoding anything it can't do natively is hardware. The atv3 is roughly four times as powerful.

Agreed, but that wasn't the argument. The "potential customer base" of Raspberry Pi users that has supposedly been stolen by the ATV3 is only really interested in playing MPEG-4/H.264 or they wouldn't be potential customers.. (And the MPEG-4/H.264 limit is actually a licensing issue to keep the cost of the Raspberry Pi down. The GPU itself can actually actually do VC-1 & MPEG-2 among others. I'm not sure if there's any way around that.)

If/when the ATV3 IS jailbroken, Apple will obviously be able to handle the demand of 50,000 nerds a lot better than the Raspberry Pi foundation, with 24 hour shipping and a giant retail presence. If you want to gently caress around with AirPlay, sure, but there is zero reason to get an ATV3 *now* with the sole intention of a future jailbreak and XBMC.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 3, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The thread on the XBMC forums seems to indicate that 720p playback works fine in OpenElec right now. 1080p is stuttering every 5 seconds and fast forward/rewind doesn't work particularly well. Early days.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Newark sent out a mail saying that they're expecting to finally ship U.S. orders after they receive a shipment on June 18. Too bad this means it's going to arrive just after I leave the U.S. for a 2 month trip where I wanted to get a chance to play with it. :doh:

It could be worse. My Canadian one said Jul 9 yesterday. I leave the country on June 8. Permanently. I had to cancel.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 11, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

If there are any Aussie goons wanting one, element14 have 2700 of the 512MBs in stock for same day delivery.

Just cancelled my RS Components order that's been sitting unfulfilled for four months and now I'm on my third attempt at obtaining a Pi.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Mine arrived today, so ~36 hours all up. All things considered, pretty happy with performance so far. Giving raspbmc a whirl right now.

edit: Okay. Xbian is a giant piece of poo poo, Raspbmc was a breeze to set up but stuttered on 1080p, and OpenELEC was a pain but works perfectly on even the most demanding content like my 35GB remux of Avatar.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 17, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Moey posted:

So is anyone running XBMC on their Pi (raspbmc or xbian) connected to a centralized mysql db? I am wondering if that will increase the menu speed at all.

I'm using a MySQL db w/OpenElec. Scrolling could be better but it seems decent when loading the artwork all things considered. Only running on a Class 4.

http://youtu.be/fTfu9cvblGs

(As the XBMC wiki warns, Redirecting the thumbnails to a share on my NAS definitely slowed things down though, so I copied them back locally.)

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 18, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

There are a few drawbacks, there's no package manager so you can't apt-get anything, and right now there are no releases, just nightlies, so things can break (XBMC just changed its artwork grabber and semi-broke the default Confluence skin, for instance). And the script to create the SD card partitions is Linux only, so if you're on Mac or PC and want to use the full card size your choices are to write an unofficial 4/8/16GB image in its entirety or to boot up with GParted to resize the linux partition.

However, it's by far the most lean and optimised build if you just want XBMC happening, and the only one I found that is capable of playing high-bitrate 1080p while decoding DTS rather than bitstreaming.

If you are going to try it out, I'd just grab one one of these images for your size card then up/downgrade to r12026 by putting KERNEL and SYSTEM in /.update and rebooting.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 18, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Vinlaen posted:

Anyways... is XBMC + RPi capable of playing 720p/1080p -and- decoding AC3/DTS? (i.e. I'm not using a receiver)
Just barely.

Raspbmc stutters like crazy when decoding DTS, but OpenELEC seems to work just fine provided nothing's going on in the background like a library update.

According to the Raspberry Pi Foundation they're "working on" DTS licensing, so I presume that'd include both HD-MA output and accelerated decoding.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Yeah. 1050MHz, overvolt, and force_turbo on? That's a ridiculous overclock, particularly just for DTS which is going to kick the CPU frequency up to the maximum. Meanwhile while your RPi is idle it's still chugging away at 1050.

OpenELEC decodes DTS just fine for me with arm_freq=850 / gpu_freq=325 / sdram_freq=425, that's over NFS anyway.

XBMC devs said overclocking the GPU clock is mostly pointless and you can even downclock it, so I tried Raspian's "High" setting as well (see below) and that also worked just fine with about 82% CPU.

The "officially sanctioned" overclocks found in Raspbian are:

Modest: arm_freq 800 / core_freq 300 / sdram_freq 400 / over_voltage 0
Medium: arm_freq 900 / core_freq 333 / sdram_freq 450 / over_voltage 2
High: arm_freq 950 / core_freq 450 / sdram_freq 450 / over_voltage 6
Turbo: arm_freq 1000 / core_freq 500 / sdram_freq 500 / over_voltage 6
(all with force_turbo=0, naturally.)

There's plenty of things you can try before deciding to combine force_turbo and overvolt.

DicksToAsses posted:

Everyone should be aware that using force_turbo=1 will void your warranty if the CPU goes over temp because it turns off the units ability to scale back when it starts to get hot.
Incorrect. The 85 degree temperature limit still kicks in.

Your warranty is only voided if you combine (force_turbo 1 or current_limit_override or temp_limit>85) with over_voltage > 0.

XBian was combining force_turbo and over_voltage.

Social Animal posted:

I'd like to try these overclock settings so I can get the DTS videos watchable but what file would I edit to add these settings?

If the results are still crappy I guess I'll just try openelec.

http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt

You have to edit/create config.txt on the FAT32 boot partition. It's in /boot on Raspbian and /flash on OpenELEC, or you can just put the SD card in your PC/Mac and create it there.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 24, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

DoktorLoken posted:

Well, since I have a receiver, the Pi would just be passing that stream onto it and not decoding it, no?

Correct, with the caveat that it won't passthrough DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD.

That said, even if you haev to decode DTS, I had no problems decoding a high bitrate 1080p/DTS remux with a moderate overclock over NFS.

XBMC on the RPi can be quite slow when reading all the metadata (ie codec/length/etc.) and/or retrieving thumbs remotely, but once it's all done it's reasonably speedy and better than the ATV2 port was. It hit beta 1 last week and has become reasonably stable.

My WDTV Live certainly got ditched.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 23, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

If you're running OpenELEC 3.0b4, that actually broke a lot of things. Not sure if its a bug with the beta or a fundamental change, but after upgrading I received messages that previously installed addons like nano, iperf etc. were broken despite working that day with beta 3.

Also, the changes in Frodo broke a lot of skins, they'll have to be updated.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Shadaez posted:

Have any of you got Quake 3 running well? For me it's slow and there are graphics artifacts everywhere. I'm not even running it at 1080p, and I had everything on low and it's really bad. I've tried different OC settings (including none), and using different power supplies including a 2A one.

I know it's not really the purpose of the thing, but I really wanted to play Quake 3 on it :(

I gave it a whirl with Arch Linux (there's a precompiled build if you don't want to pull it from git and compile it) and although I hadn't configured sound it seemed to run pretty well.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

While that's true, a (genuine) charger and 100mA ports should be fine for powering the RPi plus a USB keyboard and mouse.

As should any MicroUSB cable designed for that much power (such as one that comes with a Kindle or Android phone for charging)

It sounds like broken unit and/or knockoff eBay charger, definitely the former if the "Apple Charger" was a genuine 1A (iPhone) or 2A (iPad) and not some old iPod thing.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 22, 2012

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Rexxed posted:

If I want to display HD quality video in the future, I gather that there's a few things that are suggested in the thread so far, but I'd like some confirmation from folks currently doing this. I've read that using analog audio and not HDMI audio can cause the PC to have to do more processing and slow things down.

It's not an analog vs HDMI thing, more of whether or not you have a setup that can decode DTS audio without the Raspberry Pi having to do it. Both involve HDMI.

If you're passing through to an HDMI receiver, this isn't a problem, but if you're hooking your Pi directly to TV, they typically only accept Dolby Digital/AC3 and uncompressed PCM audio, meaning the DTS has to be decoded to uncompressed LPCM in software.

It will depend on whether or not the Raspberry Pi is playing from locally or over the network, and what protocol it is using, but with a decent overclock you should be able to get DTS decoding working, provided the CPU is not doing anything else at the time like a library update.

quote:

I've also read that some folks overclock the raspberry pi. If you overclock, do you need to add a little heatsink to the cpu? Mine's currently running at about 131F according to the system info in OpenElec and this doesn't seem too hot for a full tilt CPU, but I figure it could get quite a bit hotter if it gets overclocked.
I run mine overclocked at "Medium" (arm_freq=900/core_freq=333/sdram_freq=450/over_voltage=2) and there's a pretty minimal difference in temperatures both with/without heatsinks and with/without overclocking. You'd probably be fine at up to 950, and after that you're probably risking SD corruption anyway.

I've never seen it get past 65'C with a big overclock and inside a case, and both when idle and during video playback (if you're not decoding audio) it's quite a bit lower. That's 20'C of headroom.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

peepsalot posted:

What's the latest consensus on xbian vs raspbmc distros? Last I checked both projects were run by two stupid kids having slap fights and accidentally setting everyone's write-once bits.

Still pretty much the same scenario. I tried the latest versions the other night to see if the tables have turned. My consensus is still that OpenELEC is the best but Xbian might be better for novices and Raspbmc is still so unfathomably slow compared to the others.

- Menus and navigation on Raspbmc is slow. Slow slow slow. I don't know why, but even when rendering the menu at 720p, it's choppy and nothing like the experience with the others. Actual playback seems fine though, although when I tested DTS decoding+overclocking it still didn't handle it as well as the others. But it's easy to use (and faster to set up now that they've added CDNs)

- Xbian is actually pretty close to OpenELEC in performance and runs pretty well, but it always seems to me like the devs don't actually know what they're doing. From voiding warranties a few months back as you mentioned by not understanding the implications of combining over_voltage=2 with force_turbo=1, to completely loving up upgrades, to shutting down their distro entirely and then coming back. Even the latest 1.0a4 has an 'optimised' advancedsettings.xml file that sets thumb_res which has no affect in XBMC Frodo. Minor? Yes. But it doesn't give me a lot of confidence when an XBMC distro doesn't know XBMC inside and out. I'm also not 100% happy that they just automatically decide to overclock your RPi without your consent.

- OpenELEC is fine if you have a Linux machine, but a pain in the rear end on Windows and Mac, which require using an unofficial image. It doesn't doesn't resize your SD card to the full size on boot up, meaning you have to resize it yourself with GParted, or download an another unofficial image tailored to the size of your card and waste a lot of time writing many gigabytes of zeroes to your card. Once set up it's fine, and future updates are easy. But it also ships with ridiculously lovely defaults that make fanart and poster images look like complete and utter poo poo, requiring you to override them in advancedsettings.xml with something more sensible like thumbres=720/imageres=512. On the plus side it performs the best and has actual knowledgable devs that work on both XBMC and OpenELEC.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 4, 2013

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Pretty much. After you boot the kernel you can load from USB (or even NFS) which is faster than the SD interface in the RPi. That said I've never noticed much of a difference on my OpenELEC setup, although I'm using MySQL for the db.

If it helps with Raspbmc's navigation speed like Masako claims then it's definitely worth a shot.

Not relying on the SD card can also greatly help with the higher-end overclocks which for many people can lead to SD card corruption.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 4, 2013

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The last release of DarkELEC is over 2 months old at this point and still running an XBMC alpha, is barely maintained+tested (look at the release notes for r3), doesn't actually use the full 512MB on newer RPis, and really not necessary now that the main OpenELEC has improved RPi support over the last few months and made it an official target in v3.

It's got some nice default plugins and repos if you care about that sort of thing, but there aren't any magic optimisations in it (cachemembuffersize=5MB and a default overclock is about it) and you're doing yourself a disservice not running something based off a near-final XBMC v12, which is now in RC3 status.

But I would agree that raspbmc users tend to praise the USB stick method most of all, which has always been the slowest in my experience at least.

Sidenote: Hopefully DTS Inc. stop being jerks this year and agree to licensing, the XBMC devs have had a GPU decoder for DTS for months which should solve everyones 'optimisation' problems.

Stick100 posted:

Is there any guide how to do this? I'm on RMBC all on SD and it's so slow but I'm happy with it besides the menu speeds. I'd like to fix the speed issue but don't know how/what to move.

Not sure about Xbian, but if you're using Raspbmc, I believe it's an option in the installer.

If you're using OpenELEC, all you have to do is create a blank ext4 partition somewhere and update cmdline.txt on the boot partition to point to it -- you can change /dev/mmcblk0p2 (SD card, partition 2) to /dev/sda1 (USB, partition 1) or other stuff like NFS mounts. You can also go further and move SYSTEM of the boot partition.

But the principle is the same, move the partition somewhere else, and update cmdline.txt as necessary.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 5, 2013

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Sendo posted:

Edit: Also does Openelec overclock by default now or have things just come along way?
It's just come a long way, to overclock on OpenELEC you have to edit config.txt manually.

Le0 posted:

What do you mean the poster images look like complete utter poo poo? I'm a novice and been using openelec for a little while and never noticed anything that bad?
The default sizes of poster images is only 256px high, which is tiny considering the menu is rendered at 720p and then quite likely upscaled to 1080p on your TV.

<imageres>512</imageres>

<imageres>256</imageres> (OpenELEC default)

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 7, 2013

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

double post

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

It's possible, but then again, Raspbmc and Xbian both default to higher quality art and they still work fine on 256MB models.

And reducing the quality of background fanart to 480p or better yet disabling it entirely would probably give you a net gain in RAM and speed.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Jago posted:

http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2013/01/29/xbmc-12-0-frodo/

"Support for Raspberry Pi"

Does this mean that the main releases of XBMC will now work and we don't have to worry about the OpenELEC, RASPBMC, etc? Might it be inferior? The wiki page doesn't seem to have been updated yet.

No, it quite literally means it's the first stable release of XBMC works on the Raspberry Pi. You still need a Linux distro like OpenElec, Raspbmc, Xbian etc. Up until now, however, those distros have been using alphas, betas and release candidates.

YouTuber posted:

You're not going to get something "Wife proof" because the RaspPi is just too weak to handle being a primary HTPC rig. It's acceptable for a nerd to use because we can and are willing to ssh in and kill xbmc's process when it gets stuck. Your wife likely won't enjoy it.

Perhaps if you ran a more stable (near)final of XBMC you wouldn't run into these issues. Mine hasn't frozen up in weeks, certainly not since the release candidates or final betas, and I don't think I've ever rebooted it via SSH.

My wife couldn't be happier with the RPi which she uses daily without issues.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 31, 2013

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

moron posted:

Am I right in saying that OpenELEC/RaspBMC will act as a receiver for Airplay video? If so, does it run ok on the Pi? Or is it a slow, janky piece of poo poo?

AirPlay in XBMC works brilliantly for the most part, with two major caveats: Mirroring isn't supported, and DRM-encoded videos aren't supported.

Flatulence Jones posted:

Does anyone know of an 802.11N wifi adapter that will work OOB with OpenELEC? I have one with the RT5370 chipset, but it refuses to connect. All of the settings are correct and LSMOD shows the driver as loaded. I just want something which will work with no hassle.

The Asus USB-N10 (RTL8188SU) seems like a popular choice.

Also depending on the adapter you may have to use a powered hub.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

Install OpenELEC on your Pi, buy a £2 MPEG-2 codec from the Pi shop, plug in a compatible DVB-S2 USB stick, install tvheadend from unofficial OpenELEC repo.