Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SwissCM posted:

Well at least the launch wasn't as botched as it was with the OpenPandora.

That launched fine, its the delivery that's botched there. Neat thing about that little dealie is that because it's taken so long to be built and sent out, everyone beyond the first 2000 orders gets 512 MB of RAM in it instead of 256 MB. Because the lower RAM amount is impossible to supply, due to the chips being declared obsolete and no longer manufactured, so they had to upgrade the RAM amount in order to have supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Toad King posted:

Where exactly did you hear that? I know the Model A got a boost to 256 MB, but this is the first I've heard of all of them models going to 512.

I'm referring to the OpenPandora in that post. It's had orders delayed so long that parts became unavailable and existing orders now have spec bump because the new factory can't get 256 MB RAM chips that work with the design, they need to use 512 MB now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nickdab posted:

Does this mean they are going back on the price? How can the $35 price of a Model B translate into anything other than $35?

On January 1st, $35 was €27.00. On Wednesday $35 was €26.19. As I write this, today $35 is €26.51

Exchange rates vary constantly, and that doesn't even get to different taxes in different countries and so on.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

feedmegin posted:

Why do you need another computer? It runs Linux, it has HDMI out, it has USB. You can plug it into an HDTV, mouse and keyboard and develop right on the board.

And if you have all that already, you probably also have a computer they can use already.

Especially in an education environment, although I don't know maybe your school just bought HDTVs for every student instead of computers.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

feedmegin posted:

HDTVs are a) cheap these days (because all TVs are HD) and b) already in a lot of people's homes, even people who don't own computers (or don't want to let Junior use them), so effectively free. At that point your 'all that' is a $5 mouse and a $5 keyboard, which is pretty trivial compared to a computer.

Having your kid tie up your TV set rather than your computer isn't much better really, and of course the set of people of [has no home computer] AND [buys a raspberry pi] is null. Not to say that's argument against getting one, but it's not really convenient.

DNova posted:

kids aren't allowed to take the school's computers home with them usually. it's nice to let them have more than 30 minutes three times a week (or whatever schedule) to work, don't you think?

If you trust kids with a bare circuit board computer to not mess it up, well that's pretty silly. You'd also be relying on them having everything else needed to use it at home (compatible display, input devices, and being allowed to use all them). Tons of people still don't have TVs at home that accept HDMI, and composite SD video is pretty drat crappy for coding and use, especially if this thing can't autodetect when on composite output to adjust display.

If your goal is to have something that students can take home to program on, a netbook or laptop would be far better, since it's more durable and you'll know they'll have the proper input/output.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DNova posted:

Yes, you can trust kids with bare circuit boards to not mess it up. Some hamfists will gently caress it up but most won't. See also: musical instruments, cameras, laptops, etc.

Pretty much everyone has a display that accepts HDMI. If they don't, yes, the kid could use composite, and it's not that bad. People used it for many years with great results. We have the same eyes today as we did in 1985.

Keyboard and mouse: free or like $10 max.

Seriously, this is the cost of a single field trip. Again, I don't care if it gets used in schools the way the foundation wants, but I see no problems with it. You guys are inventing problems.

About 70% of Americans have HDTVs. Not all of those have HDMI in, many are older and don't have it. That's 30% or more of your potential students who may be stuck on composite displays. So that's going to be a problem if you're going to have them write graphical programs since 480i is going to require compromises to display things well.

And maybe you've forgotten but programming on 480i composite displays was annoying as hell back then and still is today, if you want the text to be clear when you're doing it you're talking 40 column 20 something line displays, and that's going to be different from the programming environment on the same thing at school with real monitors.

And something being "the cost of a field trip" isn't going to guarantee your students have it, you simply can't rely on their parents buying it.

Noone's inventing problems for an education environment here, if you're saying these are good to have students take home, that's pretty much just wrong since they don't have everything you need built in.

Colonel Sanders posted:

I see somebody failed logic class. A lot of families have more than one TV, most kids these days have their own TV. The raspberry pi is not for families who lack a PC, it's for families who don't want to gently caress up their only PC because their kid's python program had an "undocumented feature".

The raspberry pi FAQ states they intend to have a housing for the device by summer, they don't intend to sell the original bare PCBs to schools. Until we see the device running over composite video I would not disqualify that option. Yeah composite sucks, but it might be the only TV you have without buying a monitor. But if you could read text from an SNES or even better a WII, you can probably read the screen from the raspberry pi.

A netbook or laptop would be nice, although far more fragile (spinning hard drive, hinge, built in crushable screen, etc) and would cost a lot more than $25.

If only there were languagues that ran in some kind of virtual machine... too bad noone invented those and implemented them in popular school programming curricula.

You don't program on an SNES or Wii. All devices running on composite video are bad for displaying a lot of text clearly, you don't need to wait to see for that because composite video hasn't changed over the past decades.

Well the raspberry pi isn't a viable replacement precisely because it's not a standalone device - if you give students a netbook or laptop you know they'll definitely be able to use the screen and type on it. You can't just go "this is cheaper" and expect it to work out.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 5, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DNova posted:

good lord, man.

Yeah good lord, I actually thought through the problems in using these for take-home school poo poo.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Please, continue telling us why this thing is a horrible idea while we all buy up our $35 Apple TV replacements.

Dude you can buy 500 of them if you want, just don't go around saying they'd be good to give kids for take home programming poo poo (which you aren't).

DNova posted:

No, you really didn't. You conjured up a bunch of nonsense. Parents of freaking 5 year olds have to spend like $100 just on a mandatory list of school supplies (stationery and things) at the beginning of every school year.

And you think these kids are going home to a house with no televisions, no way to spend $25 or $35 on a computer, impossible to obtain such exotic hardware as a keyboard and mouse, etc. Do you think all these kids in programming classes go home to a thicket in the woods or something?

You can get all the school supplies a kid needs for a year for way less than even the cost of a mouse and keyboard, and you always have to buy them anyway (not to mention that many schools give them away).

Who said they have no televisions? I said tons of kids won't be able to use them on the TVs they have, and newsflash: non-spergs don't just buy extra mice and keyboards around the house. You simply can't expect all your students to have everything they need to use one of these at home - that's why it's a poo poo idea to recommend them for take-home programming stuff. It's really stupid that you expect that every student would have everything needed to actually use one of these at home.

And the fact that you think not having spare electronics for a raspberry pi sitting around the house = shack in the woods is pretty telling of how out of touch you are.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DNova posted:

Newsflash: Mice and keyboards are dirt loving cheap. You are a dirtbag piece of poo poo if you can't afford that for your kid. Do you have any idea how much it costs kids to play sports or learn a musical instrument or any of the other things I have said? A lot more than this will ever cost.

It's really stupid that you expect that the vast majority of kids who have access to a computer science curriculum would not be able to afford to get totally loving kitted out with one of these. These kids already have laptops. Get off it already.

Nice straw-man, but it's not working.

Let me summarize:

Your argument: ":qq: you can't expect kids to have access to a television or fifty dollars!"
My argument: "yes you can"

You're so clueless here. We neve rhad to pay for sports equipment for gym class, and if you wanted to be in the band they had school-owned kinda crappy instruments kids who couldn't afford their own would use. Also yeah wow all poor people are pieces of poo poo, nice opinion Mitt Romney.

That's not stupid at all, it's reality. What kids already have laptops? You're seriously claiming that everyone has laptops for their kids now? If they have laptops then why not have them use that instead of this?

There's no strawmen here. And you're pretty drat out of touch and nerdy to think everyone has what they'd need already for their kid to use one of these at home. I mean seriously do you not even know that poor people exist? And their kids go to school?

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 6, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DNova posted:

I said sports, not gym class. Those are different things, you see. Where I grew up (lower-middle class at best), sports all cost quite a lot to join. Learning an instrument, you could RENT the school's crappy stuff every year or buy your own. Again, not cheap. And every year I remember my parents shelling out at least $40-100 on field trips, most of which were totally worthless, not to mention random required garbage (plastic recorders, books, etc).

I guess you went to more affluent set of schools than I did.

I keep saying that keyboards and mice are cheap if they don't have them (I've said this like four times can you please do me a favor and read my posts more carefully?), not that everyone will have them at home... you keep saying that not me. I even said "fifty dollars" in my last post to help you understand that I am including those items in the outlay.

And I don't think it's out of touch and "nerdy" that I expect everyone has a television.

You're specifically saying these would be part of a programming class: that is the same as gym, not after school sports. You don't have to pay poo poo to play a sport in gym class. And ok so you've finally realized that people might not be able to afford things for a class, but don't get that that's bad.

Saying keyboards and mice are cheap is pointless: that doesn't mean everyone can afford them. Like you seem to think that "cheap" ="everyone can buy it".

It's out of touch and nerdy to expect everyone to have a television that the kid will be able and allowed to use for this, and also the other necessary equipment.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DNova posted:

I have no idea how it would be set up in schools, but here, gym was mandatory for graduation. We had choices in what "specialized" classes to take, as long as you met all the requirements (it's been a while and I don't remember the specifics). The way I'm assuming "programming class" (hopefully it'd be a little more generic computer science with some applications) would be one of these types of electives.

If your family truly, honestly can't afford fifty bucks for your education, then you're probably not living in a school district that has a programming class in the first place. I don't know what to tell you. Fifty dollars is a drop in the bucket for any given year worth of required purchases for a child in school.

edit: Or five packs of cigarettes.

So you actually want programming classes to start costing money, so that students will have to take home something that they may not be able to use? What's wrong with doing what schools with programming classes do now where you are given access to what you need for it for free?

You actually think there's no such thing as poor people in any school with a programming class? Are you high?

What are you trying to imply, that anyone who can't afford buying extra stuff for their kid smokes too much?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DNova posted:

Dude. Calm down.

How about you smarten up and realize that classes requiring students buying extra stuff is a bad idea for your average school? And stop saying poo poo about how about if parents can't afford to buy this stuff they're bad people.

You said "You are a dirtbag piece of poo poo if you can't afford that for your kid", that's straight up disgusting.

Jigoku San posted:

No whats beaning said is that you have the RPi in a Computer Science class, everyone learns on the RPi. Several are really nerdy about it the teacher can order a batch of them + value accessory bundle for them to take home. All at minimal cost.

It was explicitly being said that students would have to bring the raspberry pi home to do their assignments - and that's what I have a beef with. Using them in class itself is fine because the school would have everything needed to use them.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 6, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

peepsalot posted:

Hello, RaspberryPi cool low-power computer in a small package that will be a hell of a lot cheaper than a full desktop or laptop PC, EVEN AFTER FACTORING IN THE COST DISPLAY AND PERIPHERALS.

Schools are not going to suddenly be forcing every poverty stricken family to spend the last of their food money on these. Give it a loving rest and stop threadshitting.

It's a low cost computer that doesn't have a display, or mouse or keyboard. People would have to buy those if they don't have those or the ones they have don't work with it.

It's not threadshitting to point out that requiring people to use them at home would be a burden on some students dude. I get it you think that just because it's "cheap" that means there's no problems to doing that for a class - you're still wrong.

DNova posted:

The RPi is just one more option of what the people who make decisions in schools can choose from. You can rant and rave and lob ad-homs at me all night long but I don't run any schools nor do I care one way or the other how they set up their computer science curricula.

amen.

Yes thanks mister "poor families are basically scum", which is almost literally what you said. They're a bad choice for the curricula if students are required to take them home and use them there. Period.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mantle posted:

How about this for an advantage? Kids learn this platform at school. Some kids like it an decide they want a personal device for themselves. They ask their parents and ok sure it's $35 and it can work with their existing tv.

Vs.

Kids learn on win32 systems and like it. They go home and ask their parents for a personal device. The parents have to decide whether they want to spend $350 on a new walmart pc that takes up space and eventually dies from bloat.

It's just like when people ask me advice about buying powerful vs small laptops. In 5 years both are going to be slow, but the small laptop will still be small.

See that works fine! It's the requiring the kids who want to take a programming class to bring it home and all that that would be a problem. You feel me? I mean most programming classes in schools right now are on Windows PCs but you don't see the schools requiring kids to run them at home. If they were, it'd be even worse.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DNova posted:

If this is true I can't even comprehend how big of a fuckup this whole launch has been.

There's a pretty solid comparison to look at though: the OpenPandora launch.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Third Man posted:

Only a bunch of angry manchildren would be angry at a group of people who develop a miraculously cheap computer for the poorest of the poor and children.

This is an april fool's post right?

"Miraculously cheap" and for children my rear end.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cockmaster posted:

Could the GPIO pins be used to emulate a parallel port? I was thinking that the Raspberry Pi could make a cool CNC controller. It's cheap enough that you could just hardwire it permanently into the machine and set it up to boot directly into the CNC software, just like in an industrial machine.

This could be possible, but I'd be wary of relying on it. Not because there's anything wrong with the idea but because it's a pain in general to get accurate/stable parallel port emulation set up.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

frogbert posted:

Why even bother emulating a parallel port? Can't you use the GPIO pins to drive the steppers directly?

Presumably the hardware he's already got is already set up for parallel communication. Trying to run the steppers directly might be a lot more hassle.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cockmaster posted:

Actually, I was just thinking that you probably wouldn't have to bother mimicking the actual parallel port communication standards. All the parallel port interface does is give you a convenient point to hook up the motor drivers and stuff (and in some cases optically isolate the computer from the motors).

Driving a stepper motor simply involves setting one pin high or low to select direction, and sending short pulses down another pin to move the motor (one pulse per step). Things like limit switches and probes can be handled as basic digital inputs, and spindle speed can be controlled via PWM.

You're not really getting anything out of emulating the parallel port specifically then! If the system you're interacting with does not already have the parallel interface,then building one on the system and one on the rpi is just making yourself more work for no gain.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I honestly can't believe someone is saying Linux was "superior in every way" for the past 20 years without being a troll. I mean, honestly now, Linux was barely usable in 1992 and 1993. It was still not very good in 1994 through 1997. 2000 is about the earliest point you could make a claim for it being a "superior OS" to everything else around (though I wouldn't agree with that assessment personally, people can make a good case starting around then).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

movax posted:

I think your thread title is a very apt description. The primary difference being of course, that when the Commodore 64 came out, it was around the same level of performance/features (I THINK) as its competitors. (I was not alive in 1982).

The C64 was mostly comparable in performance to the Atari 800 and the current lower end Apple IIs at launch, overall, though in certain areas each would be ahead of others.

Notably at its launch, it was $595 while the Atari 800 was $899 and the Apple IIs started at $1200. IBM PC was of course available in much more capable ability, but started at $1600 for the base model that used cassette tapes and used your TV.

In today's money:
$1,403.73 = Commodore 64
$2,120.92 = Atari 800
$2,831.04 = Apple II+ (48k)
$3,774.72 = IBM PC

So, you know, "cheap" is relative for the C64. $595 was cheap for a computer, but still a lot of money, and remember that even using a Datasette cost extra - $595 just got you the c64 and no storage.

Edit: Also for reference with the inflation-adjusted prices, the average PC bought in 2011 cost $405

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 5, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yeah, and the price for the C64 dropped like a rock - I distinctly remember them at $199 or so - while the Apple prices didn't really drop that much and Atari made some weird mistakes in their lineup after the 400/800 generation.

Funny thing about that - according to Commodore, the total cost of production and design on each Commodore 64 they put out in 1982 was $135 ie the retail price included $460 of pure profit. So that's why later in 1982 they started having $100 rebates if you sent them a used competitor's computer when buying a C64, and then in 1983 they were able to drop the MSRP to $200.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
What you've got in the Raspberry Pi is basically a smartphone from 2009 that's had a decent pre-recorded video decoder chip put in it. Imagine a slightly overclocked G1, but with h.264 1080p video support in hardware for playback.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bolind posted:

Got Quake 3 sorta up and running yesterday, but I can't seem to get it to run in full HD (1920x1080) and I don't seem to be getting the advertised 60 fps. Anyone got this running?

Who told you it would be able to run Quake III at 60 fps at 1920x1080? The device doesn't have a fast processor or a decent GPU.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

bolind posted:

The CPU is admittedly not very fast by modern standards, but the GPU is quite decent. It decodes H.264 in 1080p30 and has OK 3D performance.

That's any crappy GPU these days. It's quite easy to have hardware decode for preencoded video and play it back fast - it has no bearing on live rendering performance. And even bare bones smartphones from a few years back have decent 3D performance.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Social Animal posted:

Oh one thing that came to mind was the whole HDMI aspect. Raspberry Pi was meant to be an inexpensive way for kids to learn programming right? The fact that you need a monitor capable of HDMI kills that inexpensive aspect for me because you can't just buy this thing and then go to a flea market for a cheap VGA monitor. I understand why they went with HDMI I think but does anyone else feel the same way I do regarding this? Like I hope the kid has a spare HDMI monitor/tv before they receive this as a gift..

Or maybe I'm just out of touch and HDMI screens are cheap as poo poo second-hand these days.

It may have started out as an idea to make low cost computers for kids. But let's face it, that went out the window well before launch, it's clearly for nerds who've already been buying similar classes of devices for a while now.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, really, it just is what it is. Realistically it's only useful to someone who already has at least access to another computer, and has some decent enough skills or someone they know with them to get it up and running before you can start using it. And yeah technically it has composite out so you could use it with most TVs - but of course then you just remind yourself of why people stopped using SDTV signals and connections to do computer stuff.

greenman100 posted:

Nope, the DVI connector can carry digital and analog, vut HDMI is digital only. There'd be no signal on those pins.

To be clear, you can still get an HDMI to VGA adapter, it'll just need to be active and thus cost a decent amount of money, more than the RPi itself.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Powdered Toast Man posted:

So is the consensus now that if you didn't get an order in before the end of April, you're basically hosed for the foreseeable future? What the hell is wrong with these people? There are people waiting to buy it!

To be fair, it's actually a lot harder than you might think to keep a project like this going, and keep stock up. Many projects like this never even get to the point of shipping more than a first test batch.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pweller posted:

Pretty cool that they started with a 14MP camera (!) rather than just tacking on some ultra cheap generic low-res webcam.

To be fair that's only for the prototype, they plan to use lower ones for production.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jamsta posted:

Tried it, and it's noticably faster. Still slower than most smartphones for web browsing.

They'll still be able to eek more performance out, as they've not yet accelerated 2D yet in Rasbian x-windows.

Have you tried running the PI at a smartphone's resolution? Something like 800x480, and then see whether the browser performance is able to stack up.

It is after all, the relative performance capability of a smartphone from 2009 or so, and then being used to handle stuff at higher res such as 1280x720 or 1920x1080. You may see performance improved by knocking down to a smartphone resolution.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Snak posted:

I know nothing about SD cards, what is a good place to buy one? Is it worth paying shipping to buy one online somewhere or should I just get one at walmart?

I ordered on July 13 from Newark and mine shipped July 30th. I just need and SD card and a power supply.

I recommend this card, as I'm using it as main storage in an older netbook: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VNKNEQ/

16 GB, costs just $10.70, shipped from Amazon themselves. Also available in 8 gb and 32 gb versions if you need to save some cash or need more space.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

thelightguy posted:

You can't do GPGPU stuff on the PI at all. It's a proprietary chip, and broadcom's binary blob doesn't expose any general processing functionality at all.

Even if you could, the GPU used only has two computing units on it...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MagneticWombats posted:

Wow, this is really disappointing. I guess I can I don't know, write a ray caster and pretend like it's 1999 again.

What did you expect out of a $35 thing that uses a chipset from a mediocre phone of a few years ago with a hardware video decoder bolted on?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

AgentF posted:

Probably been asked already, but what are the chances of running a Minecraft server on an RPi?

I sincerely doubt it, especially for more than 2 people at once.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

syphon posted:

In case anyone is interested, I got Zoneminder working. My take from it is that Raspberry Pi is not very good with cameras.

I bought a Microsoft USB webcam, which advertises 720p video (and a hasty googling showed to work just fine on linux). Apparently, something to do with the Pi's USB port means that it won't do any better than 320x240. Even running a single camera at 1fps with Zoneminder sets the cpu load >1 quite a lot. You can forget about motion detection, recording video, or multiple cameras.

Many of those webcams offload the processing for high-resolution video to the CPU, with the expectation that you'll have them plugged into a modern dual or quad core computer so the processing won't make a difference to the user. Now, given that the Pi has a single very slow core compared to any recent desktop, this causes problems trying to go above very small video feeds on the Pi with it.

If you want to use a webcam, you're going to need to track down which cameras handle all the processing stuff onboard, instead of offloading it to a CPU.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vinlaen posted:

Hmmm... do you think the 512mb upgrade will help with XBMC (Raspmbc) speed?

Most likely it'll help with just about everything. Never hurts to have more RAM, but I don't think anyone can say just how much better any given program will run.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Toast Museum posted:

How widespread is CEC support? I've got a cheap Dynex from three or four years ago, so it wouldn't surprise me much if I were out of luck.

It's almost reached the point that most new TVs have it, though not quite all, but the further you go back in the years the more it becomes a "premium brand, higher end model" thing. I have a Samsung 720p LED backlit 32 inch TV from I think 2008 or 2009 that has it (and it works great), a 42 inch 2011 model year Samsung midrange set that is it, but the cheapy VIZIO set I got in 2010 as well didn't have it.

You might want to look around in the TV's manual to see if CEC is mentioned.

Also some manufcacturers have a branded name they use for CEC, here's some of them:
Anynet+ (Samsung); Aquos Link (Sharp); BRAVIA Link and BRAVIA Sync (Sony); E-link (AOC); Kuro Link (Pioneer); CE-Link and Regza Link (Toshiba); RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) (Onkyo); RuncoLink (Runco International); SimpLink (LG); HDAVI Control, EZ-Sync, VIERA Link (Panasonic); EasyLink (Philips); and NetCommand for HDMI (Mitsubishi).

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 24, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vinlaen posted:

drat... My kitchen TV (22" Samsung) doesn't support HDMI-CEC ("AnyNet+"). However my larger (and older) Samsung (32") does.

Why did Samsung remote the feature from the smaller (and newer) TV?! :(

They didn't remove the feature so much as never include it standard on smaller TVs

The larger the screen and the more expensive tier the TV (i.e. not just a 40 inch set, but the high end 40 inch set) the more likely you are to get a feature like HDMI-CEC.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

MohawkSatan posted:

First post from my Pi. My only problem now is the lovely old TV I'm using as a monitor can only display 800x600 before things get hosed up. It's damned near i,possible to read even at 1024x768(which I'm using now).

Assuming you are using an old CRT set, the Pi is actually only outputting a 640x480 or 720x480 signal which is downsampled from the other resolutions you mentioned.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

So I'm thinking here… I know the Pi isn't powerful to run a bus-powered USB hard drive, however I've got an 80GB Intel 2nd Generation SSD here. You guys think that would run reliably off the Pi's USB?

They consume 60 milliwatts at idle and 150 milliwatts at full load. Should work fine in most cases, however it always helps to use a powered hub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Is there a more powerful version of this thing out there/in the works? I'd love to have something that competes with modern top end x86 chips but uses much less power to crunch WCG on.

What you're looking for is something that has a modern top end x86 chip then, or at least a midrange one.