Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

SpaceAceJase posted:

I'm really excited to see what people come up with.

I'm looking to homebrew a cost-effective vehicle tracking solution for the logistics company I work for. Basically, something that polls a GPS chip for data in minute intervals and shoots the data back to server via a 3G modem, or SMS gateway.

You should probably look at an arduino then, or something similarly powered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

IOwnCalculus posted:

RSC seems to be to 'register interest' in a Pi.

"If you're only seeing "register an interest" on RS's site, you're on the wrong page."

via twitter

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

LastCaress posted:

Really bad launch (for someone in Portugal):

-The $25 PC (which kind of the main point of the project isn't even available).Model A wasn't up for sale
I can't access the old site on archive.org but I'm pretty sure this was known in advance.

LastCaress posted:

-Why "launching" it at 6 am for the domestic customers? (this wasn't even an official date, just a 'wink wink' get up at this time)
This was probably when the site opened, or when they automatically add products to the site, or the earliest someone would get up.

LastCaress posted:

-Chosing distributors that won't even send to non business customers (Farnell only sends to business clients in Portugal, don't know how it is elsewhere, maybe someone who got to the ordering page knows).

-Not having direct links to the product

-Distributors sites always dead

-Not even knowing when it's up for sale on the RS site, some guy just phoned the company and knew more than the rasbperry guys

-Raspberry guys tweeting on how it's entirely the distributor's fault. Come on, you were the ones that chose them, maybe you could've programmed the launch a little better. Also really annoying reading stuff like "well we managed to keep our site up, which isn't true (it was down for a while) and unfair since they reverted to a static page, which the other sites can't do.

But maybe I'm just grumpy because I got up so early :P

It is the distributor's fault. Apparently they asked them in advance if the distributors could handle the network load, and they said yes.

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

DrMelon posted:

I dunno why the RasPi guys wouldn't choose Amazon to do this - they have distribution worldwide, very affordable shipping, and extremely large server farms to handle very large amounts of traffic.

Because Amazon doesn't build things. It's being built by the distributors.

edit:

text editor posted:

So if I can still add one to my cart on Newark, are they still in stock?

[link

Availability: 0

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

inpheaux posted:

For anyone who actually got a sale to go through: What's the power supply situation? The old RPi FAQ mentioned you'd have to buy other components like power supply separately, but I can't see anything along those lines on the burnt-out shells of the two distributor sites. Is it just powered by an AC -> MicroUSB connector like my phone's charger?
from the manual:

The unit uses a Micro USB connection to power itself (only the power pins are connected - so
it will not transfer data over this connection). A standard modern phone charger with a microUSB connector will do, but needs to produce at least 700mA at 5 volts. Check your power
supply's ratings carefully. Suitable mains adaptors will be available from the RPi Shop and
are recommended if you are unsure what to use.
You can use a range of other power sources (assuming they are able to provide enough
current ~700mA):
• Computer USB Port or powered USB hub (will depend on power output)
• Special wall warts with USB ports
• Mobile Phone Backup Battery (will depend on power output) (in theory - needs
confirmation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ppp
Feb 13, 2012

by angerbot

Space Gopher posted:

The problem is, after you give kids this "$25 computer to practice basic programming on," they still need another computer to run dev tools, not to mention a monitor or TV for the Raspberry Pi itself. Meanwhile, that same computer (minus the $25 board) can run all kinds of excellent, free dev tools on a much more capable system. Sure, there's a lot of value in an inexpensive embedded system specifically as a tool for teaching embedded programming, but it's just silly to try to claim that a little dev board will somehow make it cheaper or easier to teach basic Hello World programming concepts. Just because you learned to program on a C64 doesn't mean that slavishly emulating the concept is the best way to teach programming.

What other dev tools did you have in mind?