Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Knowlue posted:

I'm finally getting myself a raspi once the raspi 3 is back in stock. It'll just be the board so are there any recommended accessories that I should grab at the same time?

^^^ and a keyboard/mouse. A powered USB hub is never a bad idea either. While I'm thinking of it, has anyone had any luck getting those logitech unifying bluetooth keyboards/mice to all connect to a single USB plug on the pi? There's some tool that supposedly does it for you, but I couldn't get it to detect my devices the last time I messed with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Magnus Praeda posted:

They're not Bluetooth, but what I've done is pair them both to the same unifying receiver using the software on my desktop before plugging it in to my Pi. You might try that.

Are they not? I'll give pairing them on my Windows machine a go then. They ought to be already, but I never thought to test it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Raspian seems to be the default from my experience. I'd still go get the keyboard at the absolute least just to get headless mode running with minimal fuss; especially if you're not using a hardline connection to your network.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Roundboy posted:

What is that awesome website where people order cheap-ish electronics parts from. I'm feeling stupid

Massdrop.com? Or do you mean monoprice or one of the other billion online storefronts?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I just picked up one of the new Zebra cases that has a fan in it for my Pi3. Can you power it off of the GPIO pins? I want to say I saw that somewhere, but I'm not sure.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I use that hub as well, I'd say just get the USB 2.0, but that's just me.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Sinister_Beekeeper posted:

I guess some hubs just aren't compatible since nothing else makes any sense to me. It's the Amazon Basic 4 port USB 3 one in case anyone is wanting to stay clear of getting one.

I'm using the same one, but with USB 2.0. Make sure the power and data cords are plugged in properly on either end. Mine has been finicky a few times when first installing and moving components, but it works fine a majority of the time.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

If you're not familiar with Linux systems, about a billion chrome tabs and several days of your life trying to work out how to do relatively simple tasks. Luckily for you, most emulations stuff is well established and often have images that you can flash to a SD card for minimal fuss and muss.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I remember seeing a link that some vendor has messed up and revealed that the RasPi camera was getting an update, but I'm unable to locate it now. Does anyone have it handy?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is there a convenient way to have a RasPi3 act as a Bluetooth receiver for your iPhone using the built in receiver? My car doesn't have an Aux jack and I figure I could do a little rewiring and hook the Pi up to the internal sound system and play music to it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I'll look into it. I've seen pi powered car media center type dohickeys, and I wouldn't mind taking a swing at it myself if for no other reason than to do it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Hell, there's likely some flavor of Arduino that would work for you.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Where are you pop planning on traveling? I was planning to do the same when I was over in China, but was told that some places that crack down on VPN traffic would catch the sort of connection s that would involve a pi at your residence.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Folks I'm going to start doing a fair bit of travel for work and I'd like to be able to bring a Pi along to tinker with. Right now I've got a system set up using my Macbook and a USB dongle to share a network to a a Pi0W that works kinda sorta well. I did see this on Adafruit while looking around it it might be perfect for what I need. One thing though, does this share network data to the Pi from the host machine? If so, is this limited to OSX or do Windows machines have the ability to do so as well?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh man I wasn't expecting that level of detail (and in mercifully small words), thank you! I went ahead and cancelled that order for now, so let's just throw the PPP chip thingy business out the window. I'll just connect to the thing via USB if that's supported and this simple. This news is producing feelings similar to when someone mentioned that tab completion was a thing (a half decade later than it should have come up). I love/really really hate a good simple solution that I just missed.

Funnily enough, I have already played around a bit with the travel router solution a bit using a unit I bought a million years ago in an ill fated attempt to use a kindle as a portable screen. This is all just the modern version of that initiative when you get down to it. I was debating moving to a two antenna model so I wouldn't be limited to having to source a wired connection. The model you linked seems more or less functionally identical so I think I'm off to a good start.

mod sassinator posted:

or you can even have it connect to a local wifi network (like in the hotel, whatever) and bridge that to its own private AP that the pi connects to (since it's usually a bitch to connect to hotel wifi with login webpages and such with a headless pi) so you computer can both see the pi and the local wifi.

Can you expand on this a bit? I've had success just connecting to one or the other, but if I can "transfer" an internet connection to the travel router's network that would be ideal. It'd let me drag a chromecast around as well which would be even more ideal. I've previously got around this via using a WiFi dongle and Apple's wifi share stuff (hard coded the local WLAN into the Pi), but it's a bit hokey and I've shot myself in the foot with that a couple of times now.

Edit: It seems that I could also just get the internet connection off my phone via Bluetooth PAN and share out a Wifi network from the MBP's Wifi radio. Learn something new every day. That travel router would still be more ideal though.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 11, 2019

Warbird
May 23, 2012

A couple of notes should anyone else be thinking of fiddling with this:

You can SSH in just fine after performing the steps I linked in the previous post, but you have to share the network connection/data/whatever via the Share area of the system preferences (OSX) to be able to phone out.
Assigning an IP via the Network settings area dohickey causes the internet sharing to break all to hell.
The Ethernet gizmo does NOT play nice with VPNs or at least NordVPN. Ditch the connection if you want the Pi phoning out at all.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

What's the go to security camera suite for the Pi these days? Kerberos.io seems pretty slick, but I'm not super interested in ponying up for their cloud service. Nothing stopping me from directing output to a NAS or GDrive or the like I suppose. I can't imagine the ios app works without the cloud stuff.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Has anyone tried the pi4 changes for the USB hub that allegedly cuts down on heat in a big way?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Not so much Pi centric as Unix, but I have a pi3 that has a habit of being fine for a while and then not letting me ssh in after a bit. What would be a reasonable methodology to troubleshoot things? I’ve grep’d system logs in the past, but I’m u sure if there is a better way.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That’s pretty neat. I’ll try it out once they flesh it out a bit more with the Pibakery stuff like setting up WPAconf files and other bits and bops.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Nostarch has some good books on Linux operations and how the bits and bops play ball together. The "best" way is general puttering around in my experience. Super duper pro tip for you that I wish someone had told me years and years ago: Press the Tab key to help autocomplete commands.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh puttering with the GUIs like GNOME or Unity is a pretty good time and should get you where you need to go. I'd still recommend getting some time in with a terminal as most of what you'll be doing will be taking place there, but go at your own pace. (Holy poo poo though, use tab completion) If you're feeling really froggy I'd take a look at the Windows Linux Subsystem. The 2.0 version should be coming with the windows 2006 release in the coming weeks and lets you use all the fun Linux tools on your windows machine. Heck, Powershell has ssh built in these days and supports most common *nix commands now. Microsoft is super weird now and it's great.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I worked in IT for the better part of a decade before I learned about it. It was the most interesting mix of pure joy and pure rage.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh it’s a great shell, especially the newer versions. It makes running scripts a bit annoying if you don’t remember to execute them via bash, but I’m sure there’s some better way that I’m not think of to handle it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

the scripts I run are all on my NAS, I assume it'll still go into bash when I ssh into it?

That should be the case. You’re operating from with the NAS’s OS at that point so no fish unless you install it there and change your settings to default to it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

There are a few different fairly powerful system on a chip solutions out there. Beagle boards and BananaPi come to mind. Not sure how they play in the $ to power ratio though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Do you have to use fat32? If you’re not planning on plugging it into your windows box you can just use something else. NTFS would be worth looking into, but the folks in the NAS and/or Linux threads may have some ideas.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Good question, I resolved to futz about with pivpn after seeing your post (currently using OpenVPN on a different Pi) so I'll see what I see. I vaguely recall the setup process appearing to be a bit of a pita, but that was a bit ago.

Unrealted, do firmware updates get applied via apt or is that a separate thing with the pi entirely? I've never been super clear how firmware updates play ball on Linux.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yeah I got a docker instance up and running pretty easily. Only snag was that Ubuntu likes port 53. I'll putter around a bit more and see what's what. I used to run it on a spare Pi, but that had a habit of exploding and getting the wife yelling at me about the internet being broken. Maybe I'll get one of my extra Pi4's up and running with all it's bits and bops pointed at my NAS and try again.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Hell if you’re feeling particularly froggy, set up something dumb like Puppet to enforce config state so if he does goober up something it’ll revert overnight.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I like Lakka’s UI/UX better? It auto setting up a NFS for you to dump ROMs into is nice as well. RP is good but was pretty jank the last time I messed with it. Granted that was a few years ago now.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

General rule is that 3D stuff is not going to play on a Pi due to hardware limitations, not Retroarch. I want to say most PSX and a decent number of N64 games will work.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Lakka’s pretty newbie friendly iirc. I want to say if you plug in a usb controller you don’t even need a keyboard to get going. I’m sure it has gotten better but my time with Retropie was a low grade nightmare to get things set up. I think it may have been during an architecture shift or something though. It was ages ago.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

All of the cpus I want keep selling out and I can’t keep putting off sending my MBP to Apple for 1-2 weeks for some plaguetime servicing.

How workable is a 4gb rPi 4 as a Linux desktop for word processing and looking at a bunch of PDFs (thesis writing), also some YouTube viewing and shitposting on these Dead Gay Forums?

I mainly use my phone/iPad for the latter two so it’s not the end of the world if there’s an issue there- mostly I just want to keep being able to get work done during my laptop-free time and I can get curbside pickup at my local microcenter right now, vs changing my longer term pc build plans or finagling up a loaner somehow. Also it means I could expense the rPi, of which I’ve wanted one to begin with.

Also- will I be able to access my university’s cluster from it and send jobs to it like from an x86 machine? Because that would be some rad icing on the cake.

It would be largely doable, but you’d be better off sourcing a cheap rear end laptop or chrome book or something. Does your institution not have loaner laptops you could sweet talk from your department and/or library (‘rona aside)?

As for the connection thing, probably? Networking protocols are hardware independent by design so any limitations would likely be on the cluster’s side and not the Pi’s.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I've seen no end of pi projects to have the board operate as an open source'd Chromecast, but is there a way to actually make the thing a Chromecast proper? I've got an old gen one that's just not doing the drat thing anymore and it would be nice to have to pi to take a swing at it to verify it is/isn't an old hardware issue.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

You’re looking squarely at a can vs should situation. Can you do that? Fairly easily. Should you host an Internet exposed website from your house? In a word, no. In several words, holy poo poo Jesus no.

It’s a valid question, but you would be infinitely better off using a cloud provider for this like AWS, Azure, DigitalOcean, or any other candidates. Probably for cheaper too. To keep it short: doing this on your local network is opening yourself up to a whole world of unpleasantness from a security standpoint (really cannot overemphasize this one), your isp would likely take a dim view of you running a server on their consumer infrastructure and not ponying up for their business tier service, and Pis are great for a range of things but probably shouldn’t be used for anything you consider critical or make money off.

Shooting from the hip here, but you could go pay ~$5-10 a month for Digital Ocean to make you a Wordpress instance and somewhere around $10 for a year or two for a domain that you can hook into it. Then you could have a pi on your local network hosting the site as a test for new content/designs and have it copy the files over to the cloud box when you’re happy with it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

One is power and the other is Ethernet. It should work fine with a powered hub but I’d generally recommend going with the ZeroW just to avoid having to deal with another dongle.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Yeah getting your head wrapped around permissions for Linux can take some getting used to.

Would our goon friend be better off doing the container route? It’s pretty much a turnkey situation once set up, but I don’t know if that would be ideal for a raspi server.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Looks like it’s an IPv6 address. The problem with xxx.xxx.x.xxx is that you only get so many possible combinations so IPv6 went ham with the side effect of being a pita to read/remember.

Has anyone taken a shot at USB boot for a pi? I saw that they’ve enabled it and I’ve been thinking about trying it out on my Pi4s.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I run all my nonsense in Docker aside from SMB so go nuts. That said I do it on an old laptop and not a Pi. There ought to be a little bit of loss or overhead, but you can pretty easily revert/change/upgrade your setup if you use docker-config. Assuming you’re running a newer Pi there isn’t really a reason not to.

If you’re feeling really froggy set up a k8s cluster and get that sweet sweet fall over and replication for when the SD card eats itself. Also be aware you’re going to be locked by the USB connection, but it should still good enough for normal use. Now if you’re using an older Pi that shares the networking with the USB bus then that might not be great. Also be aware that transcoding is not going to be a thing for Pi Plex.