Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Got one on back order. It was like buying [insert any hot geek toy] all over again. Web site up half the time? Check. Back ordered? Check. Internet angry? Check.

Now I wait till May and my tracked robot will have a new brain.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 2, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm thinking robotics. An entire platform in the palm of your hands. Today we have Arduino, PICAXE, etc which are faceless programmable microcontrollers that you hook up to your PC to upload your code, then test things out.

With the RPi, the entire thing is the dev environment, with the ability to run monitors and network connectivity right from brains. It's a totally contained environment in the palm of your hand. Be it for yourself, hobby, or students. The GPIO is going to allow this to interface pretty easily to everything that exists today. It sucks less than a watt using 1080p streaming, and far far far less doing simple path finding and adjusting motor speeds.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 6, 2012