Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

^^Wow, good job. I bet when the R-Pi people said high traffic the resellers assumed UK/EU traffic.

Got in to RS... still getting the interest page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

No whats beaning said is that you have the RPi in a Computer Science class, everyone learns on the RPi. Several are really nerdy about it the teacher can order a batch of them + value accessory bundle for them to take home. All at minimal cost.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

That's understandable. In my High school Computer Science class homework was writing out the C++ on paper worksheets, then implementing in the CS Lab.

In Codewarrior on Mac Performa G3s, ahh good times.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

^^ xbmc will have a port and it can launch stuff like emulators.

DNova posted:

we're actually the same cat :3:

OK so I'm not THAT crazy...yet.

It managed to get made because its a charity education foundation, but I'd say 95% are going to end up as media boxes. Like mine will.

The other 4% are people who have no idea what it really is and want to do retarded poo poo like make their own tablets and replace their computers with it.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

I wonder how many people are using shoddy power supplies? I've been using my cellphone's 1A adapter with a class10 SD, hdmi and a keyboard without issue. I did seem to have a bit more trouble with a wireless mouse also plugged in, but I though it might just be xbmc being weird.

Whats the SD card benchmark to look at for RPi performance? Random R/W 512K?

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Red Robin Hood posted:

This fun "$25 linux machine" is turning out to be a lot more expensive that I had originally hoped. After shipping I think it was $48 for the model B annnnd I bought a $15 case annnnd now I'm looking at buying a $20 SD card. poo poo I should have just bought the http://www.tonidoplug.com/

edit: that sounded very unsatisfactory... I'm actually still very excited to receive my Pi :3:

Cool people make there own cases. :smug:

By making them out of a disposable Ziploc Tupperware container with slots cut for the wires. :v:

If you haven't got a SD card yet, get a lower capacity one to save a buck if you can, their is really no reason to get a 32 or 16gb unless you want to store media on it as well. Most of the images are between 1gb-4gb anyway.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Red Robin Hood posted:

I think I want to try to use it as a webserver, but I've never done anything like that before. I don't expect I'll need more than a 4gb card. Should I get a class 10? Is that what was decided as the best to use with something running an OS?

I grabbed a couple of these Transcend 8GB cards. The 4gb ones are the same price for some reason. Not the fastest in the lot, but fast enough and they where cheap and I wanted 2 so I could play around.

Edit: I really like that users have done benchmarks for popular cards and put the screenshots on amazon, its better than relying on the marketing for them.

Jigoku San fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Jamsta posted:

Got my ModMyPi case today...

Oh cool, Hows the quality of the plastic? This is one of the cheaper cases I've seen.
I was thinking of waiting for whatever official design they go with, but who knows how long that will be(and then how long till they are available).