Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

SpaceAceJase posted:

So which supplier should I order through to get one of these to Australia?

RS has an australian site:

http://australia.rs-online.com/web/generalDisplay.html?id=raspberrypi

Though I registered Interest a few days ago and haven't heard anything yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

peepsalot posted:

Good news! They passed certification already.

And they're predicting the first batch to ship in 7-10 days.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/978#comment-18906 posted:

At my most pessimistic, and bearing in mind that it’s a Bank Holiday, I’d say 7-10 days.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Computer viking posted:

Another potential issue is io - even if the cpu usage is low-priority, it might still keep the io subsystem busy. (Has Linux got some form of priority-based disk scheduling? I've only really looked at FreeBSD lately.)

Yeah there's also ionice. Both nice and ionice are built in to SABNzbd as an option so it's pretty easy to set up.

Unrelated to rasp pi (as it's only got one core) but you can also get a multi-threaded version of par2 to speed things up.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
Raspbmc just went final: http://www.raspbmc.com/2013/02/raspbmc-hits-final/

I ordered my first Pi a few days ago from element14 (Australia), when I ordered it said there would be a 3 week wait time but yesterday I got an email saying my order had shipped, so here's hoping I get it soon!

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Mega Shark posted:

I had a similar situation with element14 here in the US. I don't remember the exact dates but I wasn't supposed to get it until the 11th of this month and it actually arrived on Wednesday.

Man it actually came on friday, but I missed the delivery :/ I really need to buy a doorbell.. Or maybe a raspberry pi controlled intercom? :D

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
Finally setting up my pi tonight, I'm installing Raspbmc which was going well, but it's been stuck on 'Updating service management..' for about 20 minutes now.

Though after reading a few of the comments in this thread I think I'll just give openelec a go instead.

Edit:

I just grabbed the latest openelec image from here: http://openelec.thestateofme.com/?C=M;O=D

Flashed it to a Sandisk Extreme 16GB SDHC card, stuck it in and booted, added my mysql details to advancedsettings.xml, rebooted and.. everything just works! 1080p playback is perfect, and my samsung tv remote worked right away. SO AWESOME!

Gism0 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 15, 2013

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
For those using their Pi for XBMC, I'm been tinkering a lot with it over the weekend and am happy with my openelec set up so far! Wanted to share what I've learned so far:

* I'm using the latest nightly build from here

* Overclocking a little bit helps a lot, I've found the highest I can go is:
code:
arm_freq=900
core_freq=333
sdram_freq=450
over_voltage=2
Any higher than that is too unstable on my Pi.

* I use mysql to sync libraries, I've found NFS works a lot better than SMB for this however XBMC's built-in NFS system seems to be much slower than mounting from inside linux. So what I've done is auto mount the share by creating a file in ConfigFiles called autostart.sh:
code:
#!/bin/sh
 (sleep 5; \
 mount -t nfs 10.0.0.5:/export/Files/ /storage/files -o nolock; \
 )&
And substituted this path in advancedsettings.xml:
code:
   <pathsubstitution>
       <substitute>
         <from>nfs://10.0.0.5/export/Files/</from>
         <to>/storage/files/</to>
       </substitute>
     </pathsubstitution>
* I upped the buffer settings in advancedsettings.xml a bit too:
code:
 <network>
       <cachemembuffersize>15728640</cachemembuffersize>
 </network>
* I disabled a few things in the skin settings like RSS feeds, weather info, etc.

* Videos with DTS audio are currently a problem, the Pi really can't handle the decoding. You can enable passthrough if your TV/Receiver supports it and they're apparently working on getting licensed to enable hardware decoding in the same way as MPG2/WVC1 is handled just now.

* Analogue sound output causes a loud pop whenever a video starts or ends. See this issue for more info. So until a creative solution is found to solve this you can either use a cheap USB audio device or stick with HDMI audio.

Now I can play back 1080p files without buffering, unless it has DTS audio (One of my TVs doesn't support DTS unfortunately)

I've ordered two more, one for another XBMC box and another just to play with :D

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
gently caress you Raspbmc: http://www.raspbmc.com/2013/04/crack-for-mpeg2-vc1-dts-hardware-decoding/

I hate april 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
Although I use an app to control my XBMC the best thing about about CEC is it's ability to turn on the TV when I play something and turn it off when the screensaver starts. I've not touched my TV remote in months!

Wish there was a button to turn off the TV manually though, sometimes I don't want to wait for the screensaver and it's a pain having to switch to the samsung app to turn it off. Meh, first world problems..