Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I have a question about using serial pins on the Raspi 3:

I've followed every single 'guide' on how to get access to these pins, edited cmdline.txt, disabled serial console, disabled getty service, edited raspi-config to turn off console on serial, forced to baud 9600 (for what i need), etc. but I'm still seeing nothing from cat /dev/ttyAMA0 or minicom. In fact minicom crashes 50% of the time.

All of the info I have is identical to what has been posted here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37704810/free-up-uart-on-raspberry-pi-once-again which shows systemctl output, etc.

Anyone have any ideas? Did anyone actually get the serial pins working on a Raspi3 yet? What the hell is going on?

tuna fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

If your'e using the latest Raspbian jessie make sure you add the 'enable_uart=1' line to the config.txt in /boot: http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/45570/how-do-i-make-serial-work-on-the-raspberry-pi3 They just added this recently as a workaround for the funky baud rate issue on the hardware serial port. Adding this line enables the port and disables any core frequency changes to keep a stable baud rate. Annoying, it tripped me up a lot too to find out they added this new option.

Thanks for the fast response. I'll try this as soon as Raspian has reinstalled. After night #2 trying to figure this dumb issue out I was resigned to installing another distro entirely.

[edit] Nope, still nothing.

running cat /dev/ttyAMA0 doesn't even really run cat, it just exits immediately to a bash line again. Minicom still hangs.

[edit2]
As I'm pretty fed up wasting my time to get this board to do something as simple as getting the existing serial pins working, I'm now just looking to get another board entirely. All I need is a dev board for me to use python to deal with a stream of data coming in through baud 9600 serial. I hate microSD cards so built in memory would be a bonus, I do not need a graphical ui, etc. I'm looking at a Beaglebone Black, but is there something a bit better/newer or cheaper perhaps? I am looking at the list posted on this page right now, too.

tuna fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jul 15, 2016

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

eschaton posted:

Are you trying to directly interface with something that uses RS-232 or RS-422 or RS-485 serial?

The GPS breakout I'm wanting to communicate with uses: Output: NMEA 0183, 9600 baud default. It should work with the pi almost straight out of the box as I've seen in many guides/tutorials. I even just connected the Tx and Rx pins to see if minicom would be able to speak to itself but like I said it would do nothing and hang half the time.

ynohtna posted:

Have you looked at the PyBoard, tuna?

I have one! But I do eventually need to use this to output something graphically on screen, so sticking to a linux devboard for now will be the best option. I guess I misspoke when I said I don't need a graphical UI, because I guess I do, I just don't need a desktop UI for now.

I'm guessing the Beaglebone will be a good alternative to the raspi3 for right now, I thought it hadn't been updated for years but it has several revisions to bring it a bit up to date. I have a raspi2 being used in another project that I could swap out for the pi3 but it would be kind of a pain.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Well I got the Raspi3 serial working finally, christ.

This post really helped: http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/45570/how-do-i-make-serial-work-on-the-raspberry-pi3

Basically you use /dev/serial0 now and you set enable_uart=1 but don't have to edit any of the other bullshit except the raspi-config to turn serial console off. 99% of the answers for this problem online right now are still referring to older methods which do not work on a current raspi3 + updated Raspian, hence the painful process I experienced this week.

I also messed with the Beaglebone Black I ordered. The "connect via USB" system they use is awful and the drivers simply don't work on OSX and are flakey on Windows. I didn't manage to get network/internet to it in any other way than ethernet after many hours and it has stupid issues with stubby wifi dongles where you have to disable the (annoying micro)hdmi to stop wifi interference.. The flashing process is also a bit of a ballache to be honest. I'm not a fan of it so far but I'll revisit it for another project at a later date.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Not a Raspi but this thing looks interesting and costs $9 for the main unit (expansions and docks are quite a bit more). It's the $9 pricepoint that's pretty awesome along with being pretty small https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/onion/omega2-5-iot-computer-with-wi-fi-powered-by-linux/description

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

ItBurns posted:

How am I supposed to play my pirated animes without HDMI? Absolute garbage.

Mplayer caca mode 4lyfe :shittypop:

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Does anyone know if the Raspi Zero 1.3 would be able to run google earth at all? Is the performance going to be terrible?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Thanks, I was just wondering :)

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Hadlock posted:

If you needed that kind of capability, some older Android phones have a micro USB to HDMI adapter. I think you can get a Nexus 4 for around $100 these days, runs Linux and is fully rootable.

Nah my requirements are for in-car linux/gps display so I can get away with bigger/powerful boards, I was just curious of the capability of the Zero since I've seen people play minecraft on it.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Since I heard about it here, is anyone else backing the Omega2?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/onion/omega2-5-iot-computer-with-wi-fi-powered-by-linux
I'm picking up a 2+ and the Arduino board and might add on a few extra base models just because they're $5, though I don't know how useful they'll be without breaking out the GPIO.

Yeah I'm getting a couple to replace the idea of using a raspi zero for small headless projects, since the zeros are hard to get and don't have built-in wifi. The omega2 is a much cheaper alternative (except the expansion boards are $$$). We'll see how well they do once they arrive.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Lawen posted:

I've seen a few cases that look like a tiny NES and also plans to build a NES pi case out of LEGO, which would be neat for a living room emulator box.

This is mine:

[e] all the kits were sold out when I built it so I basically reverse engineered the build from pictures online and ordered the parts off lego.com. It wasn't expensive.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

General_Failure posted:

e: ^^^ What are the NES USB controllers like? I've got a SNES one. The plastic is a little thinner and I had to strip it and fiddle a bit to get start and select working right but in all it's a passable facsimile.

I haven't played on a real NES for decades so I don't know how they compare to the real thing exactly but these are built really well considering they're $5 and look accurate AFAIK. The games are hard to play because the D-pad is quite sensitive to accidentally hitting side when you're hitting up, etc. But I think that was kind of a thing with original NES controllers too.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

A while ago I posted about the Onion Omega2 kickstarter campaign (onion.io). Mine finally showed up and it's actually pretty neat. It's not fast, nor would you use it like a pi for video stuff, but for $24+shipping I got a tiny-rear end linux (based off of Open-WRT) computer and a dock with GPIO ports, wifi, usb, and an arduino with compatible pinouts for uno shields. Wifi was a gigantic pain in the dick to get set up, probably because the web interface is buggy as poo poo right now and forced me to factory reset the unit and config things via cli, but GPIO works from what I've tested, ssh works, and I flashed a sketch to the arduino part of the board and it blinked my test pattern.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. My shipping notification came 12 days ago but the "track your package" button doesn't work, so no idea when it'll arrive. Can't wait!

tuna fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 11, 2017

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

I really enjoy mine but it definitely makes me appreciate the ease of working with a mature platform like the pi. This thing is rough around the edges and even though it's not as bad as a lot of the people on their forums are making it out to be (a lot of them sound like they were expecting a full computer experience for $5, shocker) there's a lot of stuff with mine that just didn't work or was broken at first. Make sure to update to the latest firmware version (http://repo.onion.io/omega2/images/). I was on b136 or 37 and the web client was awful. After flashing to b140 (b139 is still the latest that shows up in the web client for me, I flashed manually) it's been mostly solid, though the cloud integration is still having problems from what I've seen. The documentation is also getting way better; when mine first showed up they didn't even have a section for the arduino board, someone just stumbled on the install package by accident and posted it on the forums :lol:

Finally got my omega stuff today. I see what you mean about it being a bit rough. I also had to manually update to the <actual> latest firmware, and like you said, it won't work with the onion cloud (kinda silly, come on guys). I'll explore it by messing with the docks and poo poo I got with it, figure out how to add some SDcard storage and then decide what kinda projects I want to use it for.

At least it was painless to get connected to wifi, I'll also try getting it setup as a very basic wifi server too, see if that works well enough yet. I love the size but I am finding that it gets quite warm just being powered on. I'm running a python script now that just does simple math as fast as possible to peg the cpu and it's actually pretty drat hot to touch.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah that's my plan too, hopefully by the time I get a few arduino projects under my belt and an sd card installed the cloud stuff'll be fixed, it looks like one of the issues they're actively working on. I wanna order a few of the expansions (pwm & relay) but I'll wait to give them money until the big stuff is fixed.

Sounds like they've been busy. New firmware (0.1.9) is out today that apparently fixes cloud/SDcard issues along with reset button and the reboot command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah, the cloud seems to be up and running for me (I have no idea how to use it yet though) and the reset button on my arduino dock works. Don't have an SD card to test that yet. The reboot command has worked for a few firmware versions but it also broke the poweroff command (now poweroff=reboot, so that's..interesting). It uninstalled my arduino packages during the update which was irritating. Two steps forward, one step back I suppose.

Yeah new firmware seems to blow away everything except ~ and wifi settings.

[e] got the microSD mounted. You'll have to format it as ext4 beforehand (I used e2fsprogs on osx), and the sd card should automatically appear as /dev/mmcblk0 mounted on /tmp/run/mountd/mmcblk0
I'm not sure how stable this is right now. I can read/write to it fine for the most part, but running df won't always show it.

tuna fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 20, 2017