Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Since the first shipment is one per person, 10K units only, B models only, and oft-delayed I'm inclined to agree that the product is still very much vapour.

I still very much want two of them to use as XBMC clients though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

They're vapour until you can actually buy one, which will be when the second batch is ready to sell.
I'm sorry to be blunt because I really really want one (two) but I'm not holding my breath for them.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Heh, I hate to say I told you so but this really did turn out to be vapour after all!

International availability at launch - lie.
Will distribute it themselves - lie.
Will wait until the units arrive to start selling them - lie.
Won't take preorders - lie.
Reasonable cost-based shipping - lie.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Given that it draws power itself over micro USB I doubt there is very much power available over its USB port.
You could always user a powered USB hub, or some kind of booster using one of those 2x USB cables you get with hard disks.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Nobody here is angry nor raging, they're not a charity (yet) and it's not a toy either. People have every right to express disappointment.

With the atv3 coming out recently they probably lost half their potential customer base so they're really letting themselves down first and foremost with the screwups.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

This is veering dangerously offtopic but what price premium? If there's another cheap box to run XBMC on then I'd love to know about it as the only options I know of are literally
-Raspberry Pi
-atv3 when a jailbreak is released.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

There's a puff piece on /. about a planned Intel x86 clone of the rpi.
Highly doubtful that it will ever come to fruition, hit its super-optimistic 2H 2012 ship date, or even come near the purported $100 price point, but a man can dream!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Neither of those have RAM, and the cheapest/only place I can find the DN2800MT is $150.