Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

How is this purported to work with devices that draw power from USB? I would like to use this with something like the Blue Yeti microphone but apparently it needs a lot of power through USB. Can the RasPi power USB devices as well somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

How about this for an advantage? Kids learn this platform at school. Some kids like it an decide they want a personal device for themselves. They ask their parents and ok sure it's $35 and it can work with their existing tv.

Vs.

Kids learn on win32 systems and like it. They go home and ask their parents for a personal device. The parents have to decide whether they want to spend $350 on a new walmart pc that takes up space and eventually dies from bloat.

It's just like when people ask me advice about buying powerful vs small laptops. In 5 years both are going to be slow, but the small laptop will still be small.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

SynVisions posted:

Exactly how many low income families do you think need a cheap computer with no included peripherals that can run Linux?

Not hating on Raspberry Pi; I just don't see that being a target market...

I think that is a future market for this device. The first adopters of this device are going to be hackers and guys like us that have the disposable income to buy a $50 toy (including shipping and peripherals etc.)

Once the device has gained a foothold and a healthy developer ecosystem it will then become a platform that will be attractive to low income families to buy into. I think we have to be patient for that day though. Look how long it's taken Apple's platform to get where it is today, backed by $billions of marketing and support.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Shane-O-Mac posted:

What are you using it for? I wanted to get one as an HTPC, but if it's performing badly I may change my mind.

This was my plan too, but I really wanted a case and working software. Since that stuff isn't out yet I decided to cancel my order and buy later when supply is more abundant. Also $15 shipping was quite lame.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I finally thought of a project to build with the pi but I have never done anything like this before. I want to build an input lag testing tool similar to this one: http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=89&products_id=212

Is this something suitable to use the pi for? I need to measure the delay between video output over HDMI and a photo resistor sensing that output ideally within 1 ms accuracy.

I would also like to know if there is a way for the pi to output VGA natively? All I can find are articles saying to use a dongle but I need native output so I can eliminate the dongle as a source of input lag when testing a display.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 13, 2014

Mantle
May 15, 2004

How does one access the data on the SD card without being able to boot into Linux? I ran into an issue recently where running an OpenELEC update script corrupted my Linux installation. I wasn't able to boot into Linux again, so the data was irrecoverable and I just reimaged the SD card.

Or was there another option?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Guy Axlerod posted:

Take the card out of the PI and put it into a card reader. You might need to boot your computer with a linux live CD.

The only thing I can see is the bootloader filesystem though, not the filesystem of my operating system. I'm on of OS X.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Can some EE guys explain why they wouldn't have added analog pins to the GPIO? Is it a SoC limitation?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

So I have an entire box of these 1440x900 17.1" LCD panels: http://www.amazon.com/Dell-LP171WP9-TL-G121R-Replacement/dp/B00AO80AA8 along with a handful of the breakout cables that plug into the panel on the back of it, like so:

Is there any chance in hell of me successfully getting this to work with my raspi? Because that would be amazingly freakin' awesome. They're just sitting there collecting dust, nobody has any plans for them, and having nice big installable panels like that, for free, would be a game-changer for a number of projects.

This youtube video might be helpful in getting LCD panels to have the proper inputs you need for a Raspberry Pi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SOXMDb4cjI

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Frobbe posted:

My Hifiberry DAC+ arrived today, and man that thing is amazing.

i also asked nicely on the order form, so they threw in a free 3.5mm phonejack connector, which i soldered on myself. The only thing i regred with this thing is that they don't supply you with any documentation at all, so there's a bunch of headers and whatnot on the board that i'd like to know what is for, but i can only guess :(

The sound quality however, is really great! definitely worth it.

What does this do? Is it basically a super high quality MP3 / audio player?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

mayodreams posted:

It uses a really high end Burr Brown Digital to Audio (DAC) converter that has a VERY high sample rate and resolution of 192KHz at 48bits. For reference, CD quality sound is 44.1KHz at 16bit. Typically 192KHz/24bit is done digitally through HDMI because even TOSLINK and SPDIF can't support it with all configurations.

How do you find source material if CDs aren't even high enough rate/resolution?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

wooger posted:

Does anyone with a Pi really not already ha ve a PC though? Surely we can tinker and learn to program on our PC in python or something, or run a VM for OS tinkering.

For buying a ton of machines for cheap as education tools it maybe makes sense, but if you have access to a real server, or ability to run a VM, not sure what you're getting.

The one thing I might bother tinkering with on a low power device is networking: e.g. an OpenBSD firewall. This though has just one 100mbps Ethernet port, which kills it.

The things I like to tinker with the Pi require portability and GPIO. PCs don't make sense for those applications.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

There used to be an embedded thread but I can't find it on mobile right now. And why does Arduino get is own thread then?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

In Raspbian I've been able to connect to the serial port without any configuration on a fresh install. I really like the HC06 Bluetooth serial dongle for this purpose.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

http://www.makershed.com/products/raspberry-pi-model-b-8gb

$15 for a B+ including 8gb card is pretty good.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

How can I reset my network config to stock Raspbian without complete reinstall?

I installed pi hole which configured a static IP, but I'm no longer intending to use the Pi as a DNS server. The symptoms are for some reason both wlan0 and eth0 are assigned the same IP and eth0 isn't able to resolve DNS or ping hosts outside of my LAN.

I've already reset my dhcp leases and configured my interfaces to dhcp but on boot both wlan0 and eth0 still are getting the same IP. I've also disabled the static dhcp settings on my dhcp server.

Help please!

e: Figured it out. I needed to add "auto eth0" and "iface eth0 inet dhcp" to my /etc/network/interfaces file.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 30, 2016

Mantle
May 15, 2004

PBCrunch posted:

I have a headless Pi that is connected via ethernet. I'd like to be able to SSH over bluetooth in case something goes wrong with my network (or I break the networking by messing with /etc/networking/interfaces). Is there a gold standard how-to for this? Everything I found references commands that are out of date. One would think that with Pi 3 this would be a hot item.

Buy a $10 hc05 Bluetooth serial module, they work great.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Microsoft store frequently has good deals. Free shipping.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

http://www.pervasivedisplays.com/kits/mpicosys441

Please build on this platform and write a frame buffer driver :)

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Yeah, so with the conversion it's even more. Managed to find one for $70 on Amazon with free shipping so I just bit the bullet...

Did you try the Microsoft store? Comes with 8gb card too.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Fragrag posted:

There's no way to run Raspbian or any ARM linux distro on a VM on Windows right? I want to deploy some Pis for an exhibition at school and I'm trying to find a way to adjust the Pis on location without cobbling a monitor/keyboard together.

I was thinking of making a base image where they connect to my phone's hotspot and I SSH into. When I tried that, I couldn't find the IP address it got assigned so I can't SSH into it.

Ideally I'd love to run a VM, set everything up properly and then deploy it but that's not an option I'm guessing.

I use dataplicity to manage my pis. Something like this might work?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Fragrag posted:

Yeah the vm idea was to make a build, deploy to the Pi. If something goes wrong, adjust the vm and redeploy.

Unfortunately the wifi at school is enterprise grade so I can't simply find their IP on the router web page.

I think I'll just make a base build to connect to my.phone wifi hotspot

Seriously why would you not use dataplicity for this?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

In 2013 I was running OpenELEC and my Xbox DVD remote and dongle worked in Kodi plug and play.

Now I'm trying to run Kodi in Raspbian instead of using OpenELEC, but the Xbox remote is not supported by default. I can't figure out how to add support because all of the articles I can find are outdated and no longer work with current distributions.

Is there some setup I could copy from an OpenELEC install into Raspbian?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I can't remember exactly where (maybe /etc/default/kodi) but you need to set it to run as the "pi" user. then the remote will work again.

I'll try this when I get home. Is this behavior documented anywhere? It's not intuitive to me that the user would make a difference.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 28, 2017

Mantle
May 15, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

I want to use a pi 3 as an OpenELEC/Kodi box to attach to my desktop monitor's HDMI port. I'm looking for two things:
A VESA case mount (100mmx100mm I assume, my tape measurer showed slightly under 4in for horizontal/vertial)
A remote that can connect to the pi's bluetooth, I'd like to avoid using any of the USB ports if possible.
Any recommendations?

You should see if your TV supports HDMI CEC. You may be able to use your TV remote to control the pi over HDMI.

E: Oh sorry didn't see you are using a monitor.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

GutBomb posted:

The kodi user it creates and runs as doesn't have keyboard access and all the ir thing does is send keyboard commands.

I changed the user to pi and there is still no response. The xpad driver is loaded for the dongle and I've checked the batteries in the remote. Any other ideas to troubleshoot? Just to confirm its the original Xbox DVD remote, not the Xbox 360 remote.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

This isn't really a Pi question but you guys are my only hope.

I have a $9 C.H.I.P. and I'm trying to run pico8 from the console without X, but I'm getting this error:

SDL Error: No available video device

** FATAL ERROR: Unable to initialize SDL

According to this link, this is because SDL can't open the X display and there are no other drivers available: https://wiki.libsdl.org/FAQLinux#I_get_the_error:_.22no_video_devices_available.22

I want to try the directfb or fbcon driver, but I can't understand the instructions on how to set the environment variable. Where do I set this in Chip OS?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

wolrah posted:

How to set an environment variable depends on your shell, but since you're probably using bash the answer is "export variable=value".

You can also do "variable=value command" as a one-liner if you only need the variable to be set for that one command. export makes it stick around for the session. If you want to set it every time look in to the .profile file.

This changed the driver, but my applications still wouldn't run. I think I might have to recompile the kernel with the fbcon or directfb driver support in SDL?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

This is driving me nuts. My Raspberry Pi 2 won't bring up my wlan0 on boot. However, when I unplug my wifi USB dongle and replug it back in, then it works instantly. This behaviour is with 2 different brand of dongle. What am I doing wrong? Here is my /etc/network/interfaces:

code:
# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)

# Please note that this file is written to be used with dhcpcd For 
# static IP, consult /etc/dhcpcd.conf and 'man dhcpcd.conf'

# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:
source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d

auto lo iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto wlan0 
allow-hotplug wlan0 
iface wlan0 inet manual 
wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm looking for some older Pis to build a Pico-8 appliance for my cousins. Anyone know where to get old used Pis for cheap? All I can find is eBay sellers asking for more than the cost of the Pi 3.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

apropos man posted:

I'm going to repurpose the Pi3 I've been using for Nvidia Game Stream to a simple OpenELEC/kodi box.

I want to image the sd card to a file and rsync the IMG file to my server in case I ever decide to revert it back to a game streaming Pi again. It's got a 16GB microSD in it and I'd like to create the image ignoring unused space because I'm only using about 4GB of the 16GB card.

Would something like this be OK:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22524

Or is there a more widespread and elegant solution?

Pi Baker can do something like this, dunno about the free space thing though.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Moey posted:

Man I miss Microcenter.

I still have a Pi B 256 collecting dust, really should find some use for it.

If you ship it to me I'll build it into a computer for my 5yo niece.

I learned BASIC on an 8086 when I was 5 so I'm pretty sure she can start on something like Scratch or draw pixel art in Pico-8.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

http://www.robotshop.com/ca/en/g-sps-5v-switching-power-supply-v102.html

Is there an Alibaba product similar to this, but with support for up to 19v in?

I want a single power wire solution to power a raspberry pi mounted to a screen by sharing power from a small monitor or TV's barrel jack and splitting it, which are typically 19v (sample size of 2).

What keywords should I search for? What is this product called?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Drone posted:

I've got an old nonfunctional MacBook Pro (summer 2009 model, 13"). Is taking the screen out of it and using it for a Pi project something that's feasible, or does Apple pretty much completely lock that poo poo down and make it impossible to reuse this display for any other purpose?

Here's the process in a nutshell:

https://youtu.be/6SOXMDb4cjI

Could be something fun to do if you like tinkering.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Can anyone recommend a resistive or capacitive touchscreen solution that has good driver support "off the shelf" with raspbian or some other popular distro? My brother-in-law has been bugging me for like 2 months trying to compile, install, and do xorg config for some random POS touchscreen he got off of ebay or something. At this point I just want to tell him "buy this, It Just Works"

He's trying to do a carputer, so like 7-8" size is preferable I suppose. Thanks for any ideas.

Second best to the official display is something from Adafruit since they are supported with tutorials and wiring diagrams.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I built a computer for my 5 year old niece from an old pi I was no longer using just so she had her own computer. What I'm hoping she will learn is just how to plug in USBs turn it on, navigate directories and find games. Or not even games, something like mspaint would keep her entertained for hours.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

CRA cares. I think the rule is a gift under $500 is not taxable as income unless is it cash or cash-like (e.g. gift cards), in which it is taxable as income. Last year a $50 gift card I got appeared on my T4.

That means I paid $15 tax on a lovely gift card to Montana's that I didn't want and haven't been able to use. Thanks work.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I set up my rp1 as my niece's first computer (5yo). She has learned how to find the bsdgames I installed for her and run hangman by herself. She also uses it to play pico8 games.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-model-bplus-sale-now-35/

Happy pi day. 3b+ with better networking and PoE support!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Guys, they are called hammer headers and are available at adafruit.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3413

Also just buy a soldering iron and practice with it.