Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Space Gopher posted:

I don't see what's so unrealistic about a sub-$100 SFF x86 system, though. Intel already makes one of those.

The DN2800MT might be a better choice. It's powered by a simple 12 volt power brick instead of requiring an ATX power supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

~Coxy posted:

Neither of those have RAM, and the cheapest/only place I can find the DN2800MT is $150.

Someone selling through Amazon has it for $107ish. And yeah, no memory is included, but right now memory is cheap.

It's an option. Not a horribly cheap option, but an option. Not a great replacement for the intended audience of the Pi either, really.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Cockmaster posted:

I was just wondering if anyone was looking into getting Robot Operating System running on it. It'd be especially be nice for swarm robot research where you obviously want to minimize the price of each individual robot.

Well, they seem to have binary packages for ARM on Ubuntu, so it could be possible to get it running on other distributions running on the Pi.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

YouTuber posted:

On the hardware tab of XBMC it shows Bogomips:697.75 which I'm going to conclude is the processor speed.

Bogomips is a different thing entirely.

This question on the RasPi Stack Exchange site might help you.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

SpaceAceJase posted:

What are my options for a rechargable battery solution?

Any battery-powered cell phone charger that supplies 5V at, what was it, a minimum of 700 mA? Something like one of these.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 11, 2012

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Most of the challenge is going to be finding a touchscreen with enough resolution to be worthwhile without breaking the bank.

All I want is a LCD display that can do 80x25 text...

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

bobua posted:

Yeah, I guess I'm just wanting more than what's available\possible right now. Those are good performance and small, but power hungry and/or needing more than a wall wart it seems.

I'm just being a baby and want a beagleboard without arm:(

There's also the Intel NUC. Be cautioned that the higher-end ones have some pretty well-documented cooling issues. Stick some DDR3 SODIMMs and a mSATA SSD in there and you'll have a real computer.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
There are also a few Mini-ITX motherboards by Intel that take external 19v power bricks, such as the DH61AG and the DQ77KB. Both don't come with procs or memory, and are already out of your price range... and irritatingly, they don't come with the freaking power brick. I've always wanted an excuse to pair one of those with the InWin K1, one of the few cases designed for the Thin Mini-ITX thing. A shame that nobody else wants to pick that form factor up...

You may also consider one of the NUCs. The DCCP847DYE just needs memory and an mSATA SSD...

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

TVarmy posted:

A popular way of powering a raspberry pi on the go is those cellphone battery packs. Watch for sales on Amazon, and you can get a lot of mah really cheaply.

How many of these can be charged while also providing power, even if it's just passthru?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

ZentraediElite posted:

I'd like to set one up as a dashboard type of display in my kitchen or dining room. I found a project where a guy was pulling a 5-day forecast image off his local news website and displaying it. What kind of effort would that take?

That kind of depends on how you intend to display the image. The easiest way would be to just use a web browser.

At work, we set up a prehistoric workstation with a copy of Xubuntu that was configured to start a full-screen copy of Firefox on boot, with the homepage set to an internal statistics site that automatically refreshes every few minutes. X and web browsers on the Pi are very, very slow, but totally doable, and I'm sure the same technique could apply there. (e: oh, look, I got sniped and that's exactly what has been recommended)

Alternatively you could skip X and all of that and try writing graphics directly to the screen, but you're more likely to have success with the lazy route.

quote:

What are the options for inexpensive, small displays that you could hook up to this device?

You'll need to define "inexpensive" and "small." You can hypothetically hook up any monitor that has an HDMI or DVI-D port, like this $100 19". Combine that with a VESA mount case for the Pi and it becomes pretty self-enclosed. There are also VESA wall mounts, if you want it off the counter / table.

quote:

I've also thought about possibly hooking it up to some actual weather sensors, or maybe even a webcam, for something similar to reporting to Weather Underground. Does anybody have any experience with something like this?

I've kind of wanted to do something similar. Weather Underground has a page documenting the process of reporting weather data to them. They list a handful of Linux packages that they know about, as well as various hardware.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 19, 2013