Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Alereon posted:

I'm pretty sure that MPEG4 support almost always means MPEG4 Simple Profile, so Advanced Simple Profile is right out. This looked pretty cool the first time I saw it, but frankly the ARM11 processor with ARMv6 ISA is ANCIENT, we're finishing up with ARMv7 now and ARMv8 is right on the horizon. Now you obviously don't need the latest and greatest for embedded devices, but at the very least I would expect some Cortex A8-based processor. I guess if you just want a device to play around with some embedded OS on and don't expect it to DO anything it's fine.

Remember this is supposed to be a cheap device. If you want a modern ARM board then you can get a pandboard for less than $200. You can also do lots of computing with these arm chips, just don't expect to run Windows on it or anythings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

bobua posted:

What's the next step up from one of these that is actually available?

I've seen prototyping 'system on a board' pc's and what not, but as far is complete, tiny pc's made to be incredibly low power but still run a real OS aren't just $100, everything I've seen has been closer to 200+ out the door.

Lot's of people hack linksys nas's and run linux, but as far as a REAL board you can buy for this purpose, this thing seems pretty unique, especially for the price point.

What do you consider a real OS? If you want more power then there's the beagleboard and pandaboard. There's likely some mips solutions if you look hard enough and aren't shy about crosscompiling.

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/BEAGLE/296-23428-ND/1853401&WT.z_slp_buy=TI_BeagleBoard
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/UEVM4430G-01-00-00/UEVM4430F-01-00-00-ND/2349866

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

DNova posted:

They thought they were exempt because it is not a finished product.

I think they were counting on it falling into the same category as beagle/pandaboard. I bet the reason they're running into the issue is because the project is so popular.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
^^^
Every time I go from mac/windows to linux I always think to myself "If only I had a standardized package manager! There's just too many choices."

I'm also very glad that BSD unix has so many vendors developing for it because of the much more lax software license.

adorai posted:

The targeted customer base is definately students and low income families, but there are definately a lot more use cases than that. I would like one that I can stick in a box with a solar charger, running a linux distro with a wifi card in AP mode, serving up a wikipedia mirror during daylight hours. Why? Why not, it's $45 to provide something neat that will potentially be useful after the zombie apocalypse.

I'm pretty sure the target audience is hobbyists and institutions/groups that want to teach programming on a shoestring budget. You could definitely do some cool projects with grade schoolers that use RPis to control some simple robot kits for low cost.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 5, 2012

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

~Coxy posted:

There's a puff piece on /. about a planned Intel x86 clone of the rpi.
Highly doubtful that it will ever come to fruition, hit its super-optimistic 2H 2012 ship date, or even come near the purported $100 price point, but a man can dream!

It's going to be completely different even if it does come out. How many gpio pins do you have on the board for instance? Not to mention the order of magnitude difference in power that I'll require to operate, it requires active cooling for its form factor while the Pi has no heatsink whatsoever. It'll mainly be aimed at cheap kiosk type installations because if you want x86 on the cheap there are complete atom boards available for under $100.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 1, 2012

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Shane-O-Mac posted:

I didn't, unfortunately. Maybe the Pi just isn't powerful enough. My original plan was to use a 5 year old laptop as my server/downloader, and the Pi as an XBMC box for the TV. Some curse has been put on me though, and my laptop's GPU died.

How do you figure the Pi being too slow would result in kernel panics?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

MagneticWombats posted:

Wow, this is really disappointing. I guess I can I don't know, write a ray caster and pretend like it's 1999 again.

Write a ray caster in C and compile it to arm?

Alternatively just search for an arm port of wolf3d.

Longinus00 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 28, 2012

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

TVarmy posted:

This is kind of a noobish question, but I'm noticing my Raspberry Pi slowly fills up its memory as it runs over the course of several days, according to free -h.

I don't know how Linux allocates/deallocates memory. Is the used memory not all being actively used and some of it having the potential to be recycled if need be? Or is something leaking memory and I need to fix that?

Over the course of staying on for ~two-three weeks, it started running low on ram (~410 used of ~430MB) and responding slowly over SSH. If the two issues are related, is there any way I could start working on diagnosing this?

EDIT: I was running screen, IRSSI, and an Apache webserver to host a GPIO controlling web app I made.

Post your output when you run free. The first line of free includes memory used by the disk cache and buffers into the "used" number. If you really are running out of memory then post the output of this as well "ps aux | sort -n -k 6 -r | head".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

I see. That makes more sense. I didn't think about a slow death. Though, if I've got a resistor between the data pins, that should current limit it, right? Couldn't I also connect the appropriate sized resistor between the data pin and ground to reduce the voltage? (A resistor divider circuit I guess.)

A nice thing to use, even if you're not dealing with voltage differences, are photocouplers aka opto-isolators.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opto-isolator