Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Now the Farnell site is hammered down. RS Components seems to be working though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

ppp posted:

"If you're only seeing "register an interest" on RS's site, you're on the wrong page."

via twitter

When I search for 'raspberry' it automatically takes me to that page, so I'm going to go ahead and say that it's their website that's wrong. :colbert:

e: why wouldn't they just link to the correct pages?

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Chance posted:

I was surprised that they said worldwide shipping and launch before and yet only have european stores, I mean at least one on this side of the ocean would have been nice.

The page does say that there is some sort of 'distribution network' that is supposed to allow you to get a unit shipped from within your country presumably.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Raspberry Pi posted:

We believe Farnell has sold out already. Blimey.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Haha a guy got someone from RS Components on the phone and they told him they won't sell to consumers, only business clients.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

sharktamer posted:

It really was a colossal cock-up on the part of the distributors. Both failed to keep up with their traffic, but more damning is the fact that RS only offered people the opportunity to "register interest" and Farnell completely ignored the one-per-person rule that was established way before the launch. One prick on the irc channel who posted his invoice had bought six of them.

Meh, I don't fault that guy, if I could have I would have shipped a dozen to Canada and sold 11 domestically with just enough profit to recoup my costs. Capitalism!

e: probably would have saved everyone on shipping too anyways

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

peepsalot posted:

So, are there people working on porting android to this? I was just discussing with a friend how this would be pretty neat for a carputer running android possibly.

Is there anything about the board that would make it unsuitable or especially difficult to run Andriod on?

I'm curious about what you're imagining for your carputer... how would a rasp-pi-droid device be a better idea than simply buying a stock android tablet? I can't imagine it could get any less expensive when you'd need to bring in some sort of display.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

Seen this yet? There is no reason it can't be made of thin plastic card, scored and folded in the right places.

Hell, a plastic business card box with holes in the right place should work.

Is there any risk of enough heat building up to eventually/possibly light the paper up?
A paper case for electronics makes me really, really nervous.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Pretty cool that they started with a 14MP camera (!) rather than just tacking on some ultra cheap generic low-res webcam.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
If i understand this correctly, you can now buy an $8 accessory to interface custom hardware projects with the raspi.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/02/adafruits-pi-cobbler-breakout-kit-puts-raspberry-pis-pins-to-w/

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
People who have already received their pis, what did you end up paying for shipping? (to which country)

I'm still interested in picking up a pi at some point, but not if it's $15 for shipping a $35 kit.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
I just got in on a group order through E14, expected ship date is late November.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Anyone here try running a rPi Plex server or client yet?

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

syphon posted:

Anyone try building a Pi Supercomputer using the following guide yet? At the very least, I'm interesting in picking up a second one to see how it does.

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/~sjc/raspberrypi/

For anyone else wondering as I was, pi supercomputer = pooled raspberry pis sharing resources

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Benson Cunningham posted:

Thanks! I have never soldered before but I can buy the stuff if I need to. I was looking at the ipac2 also- http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html. I was just considering it because it might simplify things for me to be able to connect via usb and still have my GPIO ports available.

I'll let you know which way I end up going. From some additional reading I did online it sounds like a lot of people buy pc controllers and just crack them open for the boards.

I once built a mame box using either an ipac or keywiz (I forget which one), it was pretty simple, no soldering required. Easy to plug and play all the buttons and joysticks using wire push on terminals or whatever they're called.

I messed around hacking keyboards but found it just wasn't worth the effort.