Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
Not major selling points or big parts of the gameplay, just tiny things that make you enjoy the game a lot more or make you appreciate how much effort the developers put into the game.

In the Crash Bandicoot games (At least in 2 and 3) if you keep dying in the same part of a level, the games will eventually start giving you a mask for health when you respawn and more checkpoints will appear in the level. It makes it so much less frustrating if you're stuck on a hard level, like that one path on Cold Hard Crash in 2.

Far Cry 2 has its problems, but the the way your GPS showed you if you where anywhere near a diamond briefcase was extremely helpful for finding most of them without even needing a guide. And every single vehicle in the game had a GPS unit mounted on the dashboard, which made it even easier (On foot you have to actually take out your GPS to see it).
I also liked that when you look at your map it doesn't pause the game and bring up a map screen, you actually take it out and look at it. I enjoyed being able to glance down at the map while driving to see where I needed to go, and the experience of simulating being a distracted driver in ways that other games don't match every time I crashed into a tree because I was looking at the map instead of the road :downs:

Also, GTAIV: The Ballad of Gay Tony's pause menu music. I sometimes paused the game just to chill out to that music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

In Mike Tyson's Punch Out, if you typed in the code 800-422-2602, you'd hear a busy signal. That was Nintendo's customer service number at the time.

BONUS ROUND
Feb 9, 2007

:catdrugs:
I like it when any game puts something the player can control into load screens it makes it a lot less boring when you have something to mess around with while waiting.

I liked all the Easter eggs you can find in the newer fallout games. My favorites where the stuffed bears you find scattered around doing normal stuff like playing cards or tying other stuffed bears to a railroad track.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The Super Munchers Christmas hat :3:.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
In Skyrim whenever you find a bucket next to a book or dirty paper. It shows that someone, somewhere, considered where their barbarian race takes its shits. :allears:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I'm partial to the fact that in Assassin's Creed II whenever you decide to parkour around the city, passerbys will comment quite loudly about what a stupid reckless dick you're being.

JerksNeedLoveToo
Nov 12, 2006
The poo poo-ton of tool-tip descriptions for items in Fallout and Fallout 2.
For example, this one for a rock:

"It's a rock. The Granite-Inc. model is an upgraded version."

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Any game with a physics engine that allows me to kick boxes and the likes. I don't know why, but I find it endlessly fun to kick small objects around while playing games. I got distracted during the early levels of Uncharted 3 just from kicking bottles and cones around. Physics engines are pretty rad in my eyes.

DJ Sensei
Jun 12, 2008
In the Vamprie Savior (Darkstalkers) series, the animations for the characters on the receiving end of many hyper combos is character-specific.

Jedah slams your bloody body into his contract? Separate surprised-looking imprint for each character.

Talbain slices you in half? You get to see the insides of the player, whether it be intestines, half-eaten fish, or empty armor...

Dante offers you a rose? You character, male or female, transforms into a maiden to get her life force sucked out.

Any of these are great on Sasquatch and Anakaris.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Hats in TF2.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty much any action game that lets me replay any level I've beaten. Bayonetta and Uncharted 2 immediately come to mind. For both collecting stuff and just replaying the awesome parts of a game.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
rear end in a top hat Physics

Reive
May 21, 2009

I like little things like the TV shows that play in Max Payne, or games that put in parody product textures on their in game objects (GTA comes to mind).

Some more details like just how your guns moves in The Darkness (or the new Syndicate, Starbreeze are masters of this craft)

Also easter eggs, especially ones that have no purpose but to be funny, like the "You are not supposed to be able to get here you know." sign in GTA3, or the miniature replica of the final boss fight from Serious Sam 1st Encounter in the 2nd Encounter that has teeny AI creatures fighting a teeny Sam.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
Being reprimanded for going into the ladies toilets was one of many awesome little touches in Deus Ex. I love that they included it in Human Revolution too.

crumpuppet
Mar 22, 2007

ROBORT > EVERYTHING
Probably not so "little", but the audio logs in System Shock 2 were absolutely incredible. It really made you feel like you were on a real space ship that used to be full of people.

Breetai posted:

For a moment I thought this was a link that I had already visited. What on earth is rear end in a top hat Physics? I hope someone didn't make a game based on FATAL... hehe

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Basically they're physics that let you be an rear end in a top hat. Punting villagers around, knocking stuff over, that kind of thing.

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.

crumpuppet posted:

For a moment I thought this was a link that I had already visited. What on earth is rear end in a top hat Physics? I hope someone didn't make a game based on FATAL... hehe

There's a front page?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I love it in Company of Heroes that you can just trash the gently caress out of the terrain obstacles, and by the end of a really intense game the map is just a huge black streak with craters everywhere. Oh there's a hedgerow wall here? Let me drop some artillery on it and then I can move my armored cars straight loving through them.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

poptart_fairy posted:

Basically they're physics that let you be an rear end in a top hat. Punting villagers around, knocking stuff over, that kind of thing.

Yeah in Fallout 3/NV, whenever I enter a bar or somebody's house, I'll jump on the tables and knock all their bottles and poo poo over, even if I'm playing a "good" run.

PLaSMaN
Apr 10, 2006
Stupid what !?

BONUS ROUND posted:

I like it when any game puts something the player can control into load screens it makes it a lot less boring when you have something to mess around with while waiting.

There should be a law in place to force any loading screen in the world to have a "PONG" while we wait.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BONUS ROUND posted:

PLaSMaN posted:

There should be a law in place to force any loading screen in the world to have a "PONG" while we wait.

There's a law that prevents it, in fact. The reason more games don't have the feature is that Namco patented the idea of a minigame being played during a loading screen back when they used to let you play Galaga while waiting for Tekken to load.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Sneaker dancing in NES Bubble-Bobble. After you finish a level, you get a few seconds before advancing to the next one. When both players have shoes, you can do a little synchronized bouncing around or follow the leader kind of thing.

It's silly, but Mrs d8 and I do it and crack up when we get it juuuust right.

thong district
Jun 28, 2006
Selling dangerous liquids to idiots since April '06
Alot of the little GTA4 details were brilliant. The courtesy light coming on when opening a car door got a nod of approval from me.

Also in Gears Of War 3 (and other games I've noticed, but not many) when you reload the spent magazine is dropped onto the floor.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

thong district posted:

Also in Gears Of War 3 (and other games I've noticed, but not many) when you reload the spent magazine is dropped onto the floor.

Even when the "spent" magazine is half-full and yet you don't lose any of the rounds in it. I always wondered why more games didn't do more realistic reloading.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Leovinus posted:

There's a law that prevents it, in fact. The reason more games don't have the feature is that Namco patented the idea of a minigame being played during a loading screen back when they used to let you play Galaga while waiting for Tekken to load.

Does that mean we'll finally get load screen games back in 2015?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The voice acting in Company of Heroes always makes me happier. Not only do most of the squads and units have a distinct personality and funny lines, they call out battlefield events and change their tone when their health dips.

The British infantry section, for example:

[move order]
"'Ey, Duffy, what's the hurry? You lookin' to get dropped?"
"Any volunteers for point? ...didn't think so."
"Move out, lads. It seems the battalion wants to backdrive us."

[move order, under attack]
"Makin' a run for it!"
"See you over there, gents!"
"Stay low, stay low!"

[tank enters line of sight]
"...we can't hurt THAT!"

[retreat]
"Alright, boys, let's get back to base."
"New orders, back to the command area. Let's move."

[retreat, under attack]
"Buggerin' outta here!"
"PULL, PULL, PULL! FALL BACK!"

[less than 50% of squad alive]
"Smitty's hosed! Smitty's hosed, mate!"
"GET US OUT OF THIS SHITE!"

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Masa posted:

Far Cry 2 has its problems, but the the way your GPS showed you if you where anywhere near a diamond briefcase was extremely helpful for finding most of them without even needing a guide. And every single vehicle in the game had a GPS unit mounted on the dashboard, which made it even easier (On foot you have to actually take out your GPS to see it).
I also liked that when you look at your map it doesn't pause the game and bring up a map screen, you actually take it out and look at it. I enjoyed being able to glance down at the map while driving to see where I needed to go, and the experience of simulating being a distracted driver in ways that other games don't match every time I crashed into a tree because I was looking at the map instead of the road :downs:

Speaking of Far Cry 2, I think it has some of the best enemy chatter of any FPS I can think of. They shoot the poo poo about any old thing if you get close enough to hear, they react differently to you as your infamy increases (from sneering insults to full-blown "OH poo poo IT'S HIM" panic) and as you proceed to gently caress poo poo up they start to lose it and mutter to themselves in a panic.

For all its flaws I really like Far Cry 2.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

scamtank posted:

The British infantry section, for example:

Brit tanks were unbelievably :smug: if attacked by things that couldn't hurt them.

'The gently caress's he playing at?'

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Well poo poo, I'd be afraid of that rocket toting douchebag who's offed half the guys on your side, and most of your enemies as well.

As annoying as the Far Cry 2 checkpoints are, if there was a loving evil mercenary killing anyone and everyone out there, I'd be throwing as many poorly trained soldiers at the problem as I could manage.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Breetai posted:

This! I was so disappointed that in Deus Ex HR you can only pick up crates (and some very specific items), everything else was glued to the decor. Half Life 2 did this in 2004!

Chikimiki has a new favorite as of 22:20 on Feb 22, 2012

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Once you got to a high-enough level in Two Worlds, NPC bandits that tried to attack you would take one swing and immediately start begging your forgiveness and pleading for you to spare them. Definitely made you feel like a badass and for all the other broken/sloppy poo poo in that game I'm surprised they picked up on that little detail and no one else really has.

Breetai posted:

I'm partial to the fact that in Assassin's Creed II whenever you decide to parkour around the city, passerbys will comment quite loudly about what a stupid reckless dick you're being.

"He must be late...and she must be beautiful" :quagmire:

thong district
Jun 28, 2006
Selling dangerous liquids to idiots since April '06

Leovinus posted:

Even when the "spent" magazine is half-full and yet you don't lose any of the rounds in it. I always wondered why more games didn't do more realistic reloading.

That would make the whole reloading thing more of an issue. I tend to reload alot and typically use Sleight Of Hand on COD games as a result, that way my kill-reload-kill-reload system does not go against me so much. Obviously losing ammo on a half-clip change would be a bigger deal thus making things slightly more tatical. I think it would be a good idea, even if it was only present in the Hardcore modes.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Leovinus posted:

Because it doesn't add anything desirable to the gameplay outside of realism, and the issues it causes are normally solved by short lifespans in combat to respawn with full ammunition again anyway. No one wants to have to press a button to spend 5 minutes unloading 10 mostly spent magazines to condense them into 3, so game developers just take what already works.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Anytime in a game where I shoot a television or a computer monitor and have that super satisfying shatter and a few sparks. Really just any game with some amount of destruction. I'm not asking for Mercenaries 2 style mayhem, but I hate playing a modern game and having my bullets just bounce off bottles or pans and leave a lovely bullet hole texture.

Achievements that make you play the game in a different way. An example would be in Half-Life 2 where there is an achievement for beating Ravenholm with just your Gravity Gun. I've played the game hundreds of times and I like having to play while thinking outside the box of the normal "Oh I have guns." I'm not a huge fan of achievements that you get just for beating a level.

Battlefield BC2 and Battlefield 3's sound. I love hearing the crack of my rifle echoing over the map. One of the main reasons I can't get into the Call of Duty series (other than it's lame) is that the sound is so lackluster. All the guns sound like spitting noises. Then I boot up Battlefield and I hear the roar of the jets, the snap of nearby bullets, the echo of tank rounds exploding beyond the forest. That poo poo gets me all :swoon:.

Mister Morn
Feb 9, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Funny item descriptions.

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete posted:

Leather Clothes
Kinky, yet comfy

Long Sword
Length DOES matter...

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Dwarfs. Dwarfs make everything better.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

thong district posted:

Alot of the little GTA4 details were brilliant. The courtesy light coming on when opening a car door got a nod of approval from me.

This was really funny in Max Payne 2, where you could surround yourself with a huge pile of spent magazines after firing off a single round and reloading. And hey, you can dual-wield, that means two magazines at once for extra efficiency.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I suppose technically this is a big thing disguised as a little thing, but that's what makes it notable. In the second stage of God Hand, right after the intro level, your character has a Kick Me sign on his back. A neat little detail on its own, but you'll also notice it fly off your back if you use any special powers. Cute.

Here's the kicker though: That sign is actually persistent. You can beat the game while still wearing it, assuming you never once Hulk out or use special attacks. You even unlock part of the soundtrack for doing so. (God Hand parcels out the soundtrack as its only major bonus content outside a New Game + option.) There's no special notification that anything will happen, no Cheevos, you just... do it.

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.
This is kind of obvious, and when taken together, it's a huge thing, but all of the little cultural references in Borderlands. It just makes the game that much more enjoyable to play when a Claptrap wielding a shotgun comes out of nowhere yelling, "EXTERMINATE!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudes
Jan 21, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
In xiii when you're sneaking around the military base one of the guards will walk into the search light and start singing.

• Locked thread