Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Akett posted:

Uh, no? Just weeks ago he gave a mostly positive review to Dark Souls, one of the most divisive games around. He just focuses on the flaws of games because recognizing flaws and correcting them is how you improve things.

He's outright said before that he finds little things to bitch about even when he thinks the game as a whole was good, since that's what his fans want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

ImpAtom posted:

To get this back on topic:
I was replaying Mega Man X earlier and there's a slightly different animation for X's "I'm really damaged and breathing heavily" animation in Chill Penguin's stage compared to anywhere else in the game.

In underwater sections there'll also be air bubbles coming out of his mouth at the right moment whenever he's doing that. The game has a whole lot of tiny details that are easily missed but make sense.

Also, in the credits sequence when all the bosses appear as ghostly images, they will be slightly different and won't have the maverick symbol on their bodies where it'd be for their regular sprites. This is most noticeable with Flame Mammoth. Good callback to the fact that they used to be Hunters before they went maverick with Sigma.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Austrian mook posted:

He's outright said before that he finds little things to bitch about even when he thinks the game as a whole was good, since that's what his fans want.

I remember watching his review of Dead Space which he apparently liked but like gently caress I could tell since he drilled into it with ever little nitpick imaginable. All his reviews basically feel exactly the same to me at this point so eh. I guess I'm a bit burned out on the whole "I AM MAD ABOUT VIDEOGAM AND LET ME TELL YOU WHY IT BAD" thing that literally every single person ever does.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tracula posted:

I remember watching his review of Dead Space which he apparently liked but like gently caress I could tell since he drilled into it with ever little nitpick imaginable. All his reviews basically feel exactly the same to me at this point so eh. I guess I'm a bit burned out on the whole "I AM MAD ABOUT VIDEOGAM AND LET ME TELL YOU WHY IT BAD" thing that literally every single person ever does.

If he likes the game the review is identical to if he hates the game, except for the last 20 seconds where he says "But all that said, at least it tried something different and it isnt call of duty, so I did kind of like it". There is simply more hits (and so more advertising money) in hating/nitpicking the games, and apparently when he HAS spent most of a video being positive (I think a Half life retrospective on a week when nothing else was out in australia) he gets a lot of disappointed feedback from fans who didnt find it as funny, so he takes the easy way 99% of the time now. And I say that as someone who is still entertained by his videos more often than I'm not, or at least entertained enough to not resent the 5 minutes they take to watch.

Edit to add: I think there have been a few other videos recently where he liked the game, but what he did was spend half the video criticising a different game with a similar concept/genre, so he could still be nitpicky and negative while saying that something was good (Because it DOESNT do <thing hes just nitpicked>).

SiKboy has a new favorite as of 18:16 on Apr 18, 2014

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The first video Yahtzee ever made was him bitching about being unable to complete the tutorial level of The Darkness. The dude has always been about complaining about games not being storygames that came out when he was a teenager.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I still laugh at some of his stuff and I've got a soft spot for his older reviews, positive (Painkiller in particular here) and negative. The gimmick's a little overplayed, which is a bit sad, but it can still be entertaining.

For content: The sheer amount of detail put in by the Carpe Fulgur team for Recettear is still wonderful. Going through it again and it's so unbelievably cheery and fun and tons of references keep popping up. I love it.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

SiKboy posted:

There is simply more hits (and so more advertising money) in hating/nitpicking the games, and apparently when he HAS spent most of a video being positive (I think a Half life retrospective on a week when nothing else was out in australia) he gets a lot of disappointed feedback from fans who didnt find it as funny, so he takes the easy way 99% of the time now.

I think that started with Psychonauts where he gave it an overwhelmingly positive review and just complained about the difficulty curve turning into a wall later in the game. Most of the feedback was along the lines of ":qq: Be mad at videogame and validate my opinion of disliking something mainstream! :qq:" so he went that route instead.

Roger Tangerines
Apr 15, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

SiKboy posted:

There is simply more hits (and so more advertising money) in hating/nitpicking the games, and apparently when he HAS spent most of a video being positive (I think a Half life retrospective on a week when nothing else was out in australia) he gets a lot of disappointed feedback from fans who didnt find it as funny, so he takes the easy way 99% of the time now.

He's never pretended that he is a super-serious game reviewer. I think possibly he just wants to make videos that his fans like and that are funny, rather than it all being some moneygrabbing scheme for precious precious hits.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Portal is the only game I can remember where he gave a full on positive review without too many nitpicks about it. But it's been a really long time since I stopped watching those videos.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Portal was really great for little things, problem is they have all been ruined by nerds.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Ratjaculation posted:

Portal was really great for little things, problem is they have all been ruined by nerds.

Portal is the Monty Python of video games.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Pook Good Mook posted:

Portal is the Monty Python of video games.

That's probably the most perfect summary that I've ever heard.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
He was right on with Halo, though. He said a lot of things I had said about it before about it, so that is what got me to buy in.

I'd say after maybe the first 15-20 or so though, its become kind of manufactured and formulatic just for the sake of it. I feel like a lot of his earlier reviews were more honest and thorough though.

Game reviews are srs bsnss.

Supersheep
Nov 11, 2009
In Assassin's Creed III, if you walk up to any door you can actually use to enter and exit a building at the same time as an NPC, they will hold it open for you.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Supersheep posted:

In Assassin's Creed III, if you walk up to any door you can actually use to enter and exit a building at the same time as an NPC, they will hold it open for you.

People in the Witcher 2 could learn from this

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Yahtzee was too dumb to figure out that you can hold down the mouse button in Torchlight to attack without having to click multiple times.

That said he's not too terrible in his reviews, he's become much less of a contard in recent years too, which is good.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
We don't need PC master race bullshit in this thread. Yahtzee's talked a lot about his love of classic PC game series. In fact he suffers a lot from "It's different so it's ruined."

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mokinokaro posted:

We don't need PC master race bullshit in this thread. Yahtzee's talked a lot about his love of classic PC game series. In fact he suffers a lot from "It's different so it's ruined."

Yeeeah and Yahtzee was the one to popularize the term "PC Master Race" which so many idiot fuckers have run with and started to wave like a literal banner of supremacy.

Anyways little things in games. I can't think of any examples off the top of my head but one thing I've always liked is in 2D games when the sprite doesn't just flip when you face a different direction but say, you swing a weapon in the right hand regardless of which direction you face you still use the same hand, not just a mirror image. I think Order of Eclessia did this and I know theres more but I just can't think of them.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Chinaman7000 posted:

People in the Witcher 2 could learn from this

You can follow people as long as you're still in the same game area, but I guess if you transition into a new cell then it's door slam time.

It does feel kind of rude when you're supposed to be following your old buddies and *SLAM*

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Action Tortoise posted:

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

There was a guard sitting in a chair underneath a camera. You can temporarily disable electronic devices with your pistol and it lasts long enough to take the guard down and move him away from the camera's range. Or you can knock the guard out while he's sitting down and the camera won't know that he's unconscious.

Most of the interrogation dialogue is funny, but so far in my playthrough New York has the best exchange.

"Is this a drill?"
:sigh: "Support, call it off he knows it's a drill!"
"I knew it!"

The tea house level definitely has the best interrogation in the game, where you can overhear a guard fanboying out over ninjas. If you interrogate thim, this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuQJn93ZTqo

Fisher: [grab] Bad news.
Guard: Agh! I knew it! I knew there were ninjas here!
Fisher: What?
Guard: Yeah, you must be a ninja. How else could you sneak up and grab me like that?
Fisher: [disbelief] Listen, I don't know what...
Guard: Wow! I can't believe it! A real, live, ninja!
Fisher: Listen, I'm going to kill you if...
Guard: Wow! Killed by a ninja... cool!

And then Sam just gives up. If you attempt to interrogate him again:

Guard: If you have to kill me... do it with your blow-pipe.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Kimmalah posted:

You can follow people as long as you're still in the same game area, but I guess if you transition into a new cell then it's door slam time.

It does feel kind of rude when you're supposed to be following your old buddies and *SLAM*

I thought we were FRIENDS, ROCHE.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Chinaman7000 posted:

I thought we were FRIENDS, ROCHE.

He seems like exactly the kind of dick head who would slam a door in your face.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
I love the Bed Of Chaos fight in Dark Souls because of the way that it's designed to be fought over multiple attempts, where if you defeat one part of it then it stays defeated in subsequent attempts. I really wish that more of the fights had been designed to incorporate the whole "you're probably going to die the first few times" thing that Dark Souls has going on.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Apr 20, 2014

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

I love the Bed Of Chaos fight in Dark Souls because of the way that it's designed to be fought over multiple attempts, where if you defeat one part of it then it stays defeated in subsequent attempts. I really wish that more of the fights had been designed to incorporate the whole "you're probably going to die the first few times" thing that Dark Souls has going on.

That was actually patched in later on, because people disliked that fight so much.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

:aaaaa:

I think this might be the first time I've ever heard someone with something positive to say about Bed of Chaos. It seems to be almost universally hated on the internet. I agree, though. I think BoC was implemented poorly, but I liked the overall idea of the boss. At least the patched version. I didn't get to BoC before the patch. Different phases of a boss, perhaps with different drops if you're able to kill it in earlier phases, could work really well in the Souls games.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

BoC sucks but that (post-patch) interpretation is pretty cool, and I do wish there was more visible evidence of the whole 'immortal undead driven by the power of pure gently caress You' thing in the games.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

HairyManling posted:

:aaaaa:

I think this might be the first time I've ever heard someone with something positive to say about Bed of Chaos. It seems to be almost universally hated on the internet. I agree, though. I think BoC was implemented poorly, but I liked the overall idea of the boss. At least the patched version. I didn't get to BoC before the patch. Different phases of a boss, perhaps with different drops if you're able to kill it in earlier phases, could work really well in the Souls games.

Well obviously I've only played it after the patching (I just got to that fight for the first time last night), but I actually found the BoC to be one of the easier bossfights in the game. I died a few times, sure, but the Bed also seems to follow a much more mechanical pattern than the other bosses, Only certain parts of the floor drop out, and since it has no mobility and such a limited range of attacks, you can get the pattern down and be pretty certain that the fight is going to be just about identical each time you come back to it. Compared to the Stray Demon or the Demon Firesage, which I seriously was just not able to beat either of, it seemed so easy. And yeah, I'd love it if, say, once Ornstein or Smough died and the other became supered, it stuck like that so you didn't have to do it the whole fight again every time, or something like that for the other bosses to incorporate continuity between attempts.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

E4C85D38 posted:

The tea house level definitely has the best interrogation in the game, where you can overhear a guard fanboying out over ninjas. If you interrogate thim, this happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuQJn93ZTqo

Fisher: [grab] Bad news.
Guard: Agh! I knew it! I knew there were ninjas here!
Fisher: What?
Guard: Yeah, you must be a ninja. How else could you sneak up and grab me like that?
Fisher: [disbelief] Listen, I don't know what...
Guard: Wow! I can't believe it! A real, live, ninja!
Fisher: Listen, I'm going to kill you if...
Guard: Wow! Killed by a ninja... cool!

And then Sam just gives up. If you attempt to interrogate him again:

Guard: If you have to kill me... do it with your blow-pipe.

My favourite bit is his segue after talking abut nightingale floors. " My cousin was on an oil rig a few years back, during that business with Georgia. He got attacked by a ninja" Hes talking about the first game.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Metal Gear Rising:
In one mission you have to take control of these three armed drones in order to plug into the network. When you find the terminal, the robot pulls a long USB cord out of its head and attempts to plug it in. He tries twice, fails, and then turns the male end of the cord upside down and it fits right into the computer.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Beastie posted:

Metal Gear Rising:
In one mission you have to take control of these three armed drones in order to plug into the network. When you find the terminal, the robot pulls a long USB cord out of its head and attempts to plug it in. He tries twice, fails, and then turns the male end of the cord upside down and it fits right into the computer.

There's got to be a GIF of that. Anyone?

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

There's got to be a GIF of that. Anyone?
Found one in Chip's MGR LP.

Although you shouldn't even need a gif since there's no reason for anyone to not have played Metal Gear Rising :colbert:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Borderlands 2: When I've killed bandit psychos, I've heard them say both "I regret everything!" and "I regret nothing!"

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

Borderlands 2: When I've killed bandit psychos, I've heard them say both "I regret everything!" and "I regret nothing!"

The best psycho is the guy that recites an entire monologue from Hamlet all while never breaking that screechy psycho shouting :allears:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

smuh posted:

Found one in Chip's MGR LP.

Although you shouldn't even need a gif since everybody uses flash drives :colbert:

Fixed

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Crowetron posted:

The best psycho is the guy that recites an entire monologue from Hamlet all while never breaking that screechy psycho shouting :allears:

Close second is Face McShooty

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Crowetron posted:

I really need to listen to the whole thing sometime, I keep shooting him before he even gets to "thaw".

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Crowetron posted:

He is the best, though my personal favorite line is still "LOOK INTO MY EYES WHEN I STARE AT YOU :stare:"

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

theshim posted:

He is the best, though my personal favorite line is still "LOOK INTO MY EYES WHEN I STARE AT YOU :stare:"

"You're gonna be my new meat bicycle"

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

Really though, Face McShooty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVpg0vws10Y

KNOCK KNOCK WHO'S THERE SHOOT ME IN THE FACE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Yahtzee was fun back when it seemed every big-budget game was getting a hand-wave for its flaws (like Assassin's Creed 1 which had problems but people were giving out 9's like candy) and the contrarian style fit for some of those games. Then it suddenly became "I'll find a game's flaws and blow them out of proportion" which is fun as long as you recognize the hyperbole but apparently some sperglords didn't pick up on that and would parrot Yahtzee's criticisms. A lot of games like Mirror's Edge and Kane & Lynch 2 (it's trash, but fun for the $3-5 Steam has it on all the drat time) which were flawed, but fun (Mirror's Edge didn't became a re-discovered cult hit until recently) were absolutely trashed by Yahtzee's fans and those that thought critically and objectively got into nasty arguments with Yahtzee's fans. Yeah, he found the odd game he liked like Portal but his whole shtick was "find the flaws, then exaggerate the hell out of them for comic effect" which was popular in online video game video reviews in the latter 2000s.

Those argument were what got the first two Yahtzee threads gassed by the admins and a moratorium on Yahzee threads declared in like 2008/09. It oddly lasts to this day, in a way.

• Locked thread