Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Leovinus posted:

There's a law that prevents it, in fact. The reason more games don't have the feature is that Namco patented the idea of a minigame being played during a loading screen back when they used to let you play Galaga while waiting for Tekken to load.

Does that mean we'll finally get load screen games back in 2015?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Mister Morn posted:

Funny item descriptions.

I liked the fact that at one point in Disgaea it's possible to steal a horse wiener off a zombie.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Oppenheimer posted:

I have MGS3 in my console now, and I've never played it but I don't even want to kill The End, he seems like a nice old man, and even letting him die of old age seems a little cruel. Is there any way you can just tranquilize him and leave?

All of the bosses in this game have bombs built into them which trigger on death or unconsciousness. Sorry! Give him a chance to go out sniping.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Hideo Kojima fans would do well to track down his interview with Arino Shinya on Game Center CX. If Hideo had gotten the gag with the guard playing the violin into MSG2 I might have finished it.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Hungry Bit posted:

The fact that not only can you see your legs in Operation Flashpoint, but you can also get killed by shooting yourself in the foot :v:.

I'd probably buy a game that had that as an achievement. Why isn't it an option in America's Army?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

thrakkorzog posted:

The same boss that would yell at you for going into the ladies room, would also yell at you if you were eating while he was talking to you.

Then there was the whole secret level under the streets of NY. Look under the right manhole, and you'd find some secret organization's laboratory. The first time I found it I was afraid I had done some sequence breaking. Nope. The game designers just stuck some crazy secret level in there.

Good time to mention that Deus Ex GOTY is $2.50 this weekend on Steam

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Dareon posted:

The first thing I do in Half-Life 2 is take the shoe out of the locker at the train station and throw it at the lady waiting for her husband.

I still think there should be a "Pink Floyd" achievement for throwing all the TVs out of a window. Every time, I don't care if I'm unarmed and being chased by Combine, that poo poo's going out the window!

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Dauntasa posted:

My favourite little thing about the Orz was that they sound very cheery and happy and positive, but you don't really know what they're saying to you. They are trying to wipe out an alien species known as the VUX. The VUX are noted elsewhere as having translation tech that is much better than yours.

How about those Androsynth? It's not much of a spoiler to say the Orz wiped out the Androsynth before Starcon2 starts, but here's a neat little detail: Go to the VS mode and set up a fight between a team of Orz ships and a team of Androsynth ships and see exactly how much you have to gimp the Androsynths before the Orz ever win.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Dauntasa posted:

I did think it was a bit odd that the Androsynth ship is almost perfect for countering the Orz ship, since in Blazer mode Orz marines get fried when they try to board and it's easily fast enough to dodge their cannon and ram them to death.

That's because in the game The Orz killed the Androsynth on the ground because they couldn't beat them in their ships.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Avocados posted:

Does the higher number indicate less likely-hood to research/push it?

Emphatically no, Avocados, as many of the posts above will testify

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Croccers posted:

I do like in Skyrim how you can just Shout a houses's stuff all around and it's still all hosed when you visit again rather than just resetting it when you leave. Also at the same time though if you do it in a place you own :argh:

Didn't your parents teach you not to Shout where you eat?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Even the piss-ant trash enemies in Dark Souls can do anything you can. They'll even make the same newbish mistakes you will; like trying to drink a healing flask way too close, or just straight-up breaking focus and turning their back on you.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Captain Lavender posted:

I bought Sleeping Dogs because of this thread (and that it's $25 on Steam right now), and it's fun so far.

I really liked a bit of dialogue when a junior police officer asked her superior, "Permission to speak freely sir?" and he said, "Denied."

I don't think I've ever heard that happen in any other show, book or movie!

All I'm going to say is: Watch Blackadder. All of it.

And that I liked the way they covered level leaks in We Love Katamari. If you manage to fall out of the level, the King of All Cosmos scoops you up and dumps you back in, saying "Yes, very good, you found Our secret road! Good for you! Please don't do that again."

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Tiggum posted:

I guess the police in games like GTA and Saints Row are pretty homicidal,

Actually, you can draw down your weapon on a cop in GTA4 and the cop will just draw down on you and approach until he can arrest you.

Needless to say, this is completely unrealistic

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Decrepus posted:

He is also cartoonishly antagonistic which means he is the right choice for the poorly written Dark Brotherhood questline. Oh, you killed the faux-Brotherhood and restored it to its true roots. Would you like a loving torture dungeon in the basement where you torture innocent people for cash they left in treestumps?

You know, the Dark Brotherhood aren't exactly nice people, and some people have custom orders for their job so that's the sort of thing they should have.

On the other hand, if you DO kill one of the tied up people, the other two just loving stay in that cabin forever once you move on with the storyline. Forever. You can't let them go and they never get free on their own, so it's either kill them all or leave them there

That's hardly a favorite little thing, so I'll just say in conclusion that I love how in Dark Souls you can see important glowy things way off in the distance like loot drops and the glittering green bloodstain that lets you recover all the souls and humanity you dropped.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
The French company that made Magical Drop V hired Japanese voice actors. It goes a long way in keeping the charm of the original games

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

bunnyofdoom posted:

In Playstation all-stars brawl smashing brothers they got the voice actors from the original games to contribute. There is something immensely satisfying as hearing Stephen Fry talking smack.

I'm not 100% sure but I think in the new Sonic All-Stars Flying Boatkart on PC they got the Heavy VA to do lines but had to have someone else cover the Pyro. Also, unless I'm mistaken, they use the menu chimes from Gunstar Heroes and that'll take you right back to the day

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

flatluigi posted:

How does he manage that?

It was on loan from Kirk Johnson.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Cool Ghost posted:

Yeah, I looked it up and saw that, and to be honest, it's a neat thing to see in the game, even though it's not something I was actually worried about in any other game, but the fact that it was just "Hair Quality" instead of being integrated into anything or just there cracked me up.

Don't set it too low or Lara winds up looking like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

mind the walrus posted:

The absolute earliest has to be using the Famicom microphone to activate the flute and kill Pol's voices in the original Famicom Legend of Zelda.

Of course, they alluded to it in the NES manual because that's the quality of translation you got from NoA back then. Leading to certain eight-year-olds who didn't know any better to try blowing the flute over and over in order to try and do something to those big-eared jumping fuckers.

• Locked thread