Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
AssRapistDude1488
Feb 22, 2012

by Ozmaugh

I feel it's become somewhat of an axiom in the modern that multiculturalism and cultural, linguistic, and ethnic diversity is an indisputable plus.

I don't see how this is the case. All around the globe, multicultural societies are less cohesive, less safe, and their members less trusting of one another than those in homogenous societies.

From Wikipedia:

quote:

Harvard professor of political science Robert D. Putnam conducted a nearly decade long study how diversity affects social trust.[84] He surveyed 26,200 people in 40 American communities, finding that when the data were adjusted for class, income and other factors, the more racially diverse a community is, the greater the loss of trust. People in diverse communities "donít trust the local mayor, they donít trust the local paper, they donít trust other people and they donít trust institutions," writes Putnam.[85] In the presence of such ethnic diversity, Putnam maintains that

"[W]e hunker down. We act like turtles. The effect of diversity is worse than had been imagined. And itís not just that we donít trust people who are not like us. In diverse communities, we donít trust people who do look like us.[84]"

Ethologist Frank Salter writes:

Relatively homogeneous societies invest more in public goods, indicating a higher level of public altruism. For example, the degree of ethnic homogeneity correlates with the government's share of gross domestic product as well as the average wealth of citizens. Case studies of the United States... find that multi-ethnic societies are less charitable and less able to cooperate to develop public infrastructure.... A recent multi-city study of municipal spending on public goods in the United States found that ethnically or racially diverse cities spend a smaller portion of their budgets and less per capita on public services than do the more homogenous cities.[86]

With ideologies like Communism and Fascism less relevant than in past decades, conflict seems to be arising precisely on ethnic and cultural lines. We have the genocide in Rwanda, the war in Kosovo, the recent protests in Tottenham (in which the main contention was racial tension between white police and black youth), ethnic violence in Ukraine, the list goes on and on. I can't see how anyone can think that mixing people of utterly different values and core beliefs together can result in a stable, strong society; all evidence points to the contrary.

People are tribal by nature; we are biologically hardwired to prefer those of our own genetic code before everyone else. And ethnic groups are exactly that; genetic clusters.

I'd like to hear what people have to say on this topic. It seems like one of those ideas that are so nonsensical that only highly intelligent people can trick themselves into believing it.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.

AssRapistDude1488 posted:

People are tribal by nature; we are biologically hardwired to prefer those of our own genetic code before everyone else. And ethnic groups are exactly that; genetic clusters.

Debating Multiculturalism is actually legitimately interesting topic but you cannot just assert stuff like this on its own. It reeks of biotruths and I don't think you will get a very good response.

Kin selection is a real thing for sure, but when it comes to that major study of multi-cultural societies/communities writ large in the United States I immediately think of faults that might be within the study. The most multicultural of neighborhoods are often made up of poorer, more recent immigrants who I think its fair also to suggest don't quite have the same level of opportunity such as Cuban/Haitian communities.

And its worth starting to think about multi-cultural communities that basically have prospered/enjoyed greater standards of living- like San Francisco or Vancouver particularly.

Edit: Given that you just registered today I can't help but think you might be a troll, or as the below poster maybe some sort of ya know, racist.

Edit Edit:

This guy posted this in FYAD posted:

I Love Beating The poo poo Out Of Niggers And Then making GBS threads On Them.

Yeah, definitely troll

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3465 days!

I assume the 1488 in your name means...

14, for the 14 Words:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14_words

quote:

We must secure the existence of our people and a future for White Children.

or

quote:

Because the beauty of the White Aryan women must not perish from the earth.

And the 88 is for Heil Hitler?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/88_%28...Neo-Nazi_symbol

quote:

Neo-Nazis use the number 88 as a code to represent the slogan Heil Hitler. The letter H is eighth in the alphabet, so 88 is meant to stand for HH. The number is sometimes used in combination with the number 14 (e.g. 1488 or 14/88).

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

ImmortalYawn posted:

I assume 1488 means...
Now we just need to find out the hidden meaning behind the rest of his username.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

I think he's an assistant therapist?

Bonus
May 12, 2007

im gay

EDIT: Nevermind

shots shots shots
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lemonus posted:

And its worth starting to think about multi-cultural communities that basically have prospered/enjoyed greater standards of living- like San Francisco or Vancouver particularly.

More interesting than the success of Chinese diaspora in San Francisco/Vancouver is the success of Chinese diaspora in places like Indonesia, Thailand, and the Philippines.

In those cases, the Chinese basically consolidated money and power along racial and family lines. Attempting to resist assimilation helped protect their fortune and also to develop severe resentment from the rest of society as they increased their share of national wealth.

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.

Bonus posted:

EDIT: Nevermind

That was a good post before the edit.

Some sort of legit thread about multi-culturalism would actually be cool. I mean just to gleam from the wikipedia the pro and con pages are basically:

Pro: Solution/response to WW2 ethnic cleansing and colonial oppression

Neg: Multicultural societies aren't harmonious/don't work well.

Im sure there are lots of complex angles that could be considered/debated. I mean a simple start I guess is the cost of having a little less 'harmonious society' is worth it to avoid ya know, more ethnic cleansing or population displacement that would likely be involved in 'de-multiculturalizing' a society.

AssRapistDude1488
Feb 22, 2012

by Ozmaugh

Lemonus posted:

Debating Multiculturalism is actually legitimately interesting topic but you cannot just assert stuff like this on its own. It reeks of biotruths and I don't think you will get a very good response.

Kin selection is a real thing for sure, but when it comes to that major study of multi-cultural societies/communities writ large in the United States I immediately think of faults that might be within the study. The most multicultural of neighborhoods are often made up of poorer, more recent immigrants who I think its fair also to suggest don't quite have the same level of opportunity such as Cuban/Haitian communities.

Edit: Given that you just registered today I can't help but think you might be a troll, or as the below poster maybe some sort of ya know, racist.

Edit Edit:

Yeah, definitely troll

Well, it's rather obvious. Phenotypes are tied to genotypes; clusters of similar phenotypes must therefore correspond to clusters of genotypes.

FYAD is not relevant to the current discussion.

chaos rhames
Feb 25, 2011

You cowards don't even smoke crack

Most FYAD posters will try to do something entertaining when they attempt to troll, such as make a joke or do something that will provoke stupidity. Just being racist is only going to get you banned or probated for 6 hours. You've got to have style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

oh come on put some effort into it next time