Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«20 »
Gestalt Intellect
Sep 14, 2011

did someone say puzzles

Jakabite posted:

Does it even come close? I've heard bad things about the prison and morgue sections. Are they the worst?

I've heard people say various things about which part was worst for them, but I thought the prison soon after the storage was definitely it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

How shall we fuck off, O Lord?

All right, thanks. Going to play some more tonight I think. How does Penumbra compare, I was planning on playing them after.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club

Jakabite posted:

All right, thanks. Going to play some more tonight I think. How does Penumbra compare, I was planning on playing them after.

IMO none of the penumbra games match up in terms of atmosphere, but black plague is still really really scary and overture is no slouch either. They have pretty similar puzzle-solving gameplay so if you like Amnesia you'll probably like them.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

How shall we fuck off, O Lord?

Ah, great. I love the way you interact with the environment in Amnesia, and if Penumbra uses the same system I'll love it I'm sure.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

I actually think that Black Plague has better puzzles than Amnesia, due in part to its modern-day setting, which gives them more options with computers and fuses and stuff.

I didn't realise Penumbra's engine was open-source, though. Has anyone ever done anything with it?

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

I don't see why anyone would, since HPL2 has a bunch of developer tools released, and is superior to HPL1 in pretty much every way imaginable. Even the people at Frictional say that looking back, they're amazed they ever managed to make anything with their first engine since it was just so hard to do anything for.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Morpheus posted:

Man, that was done so well. Personally, one part that wasn't major story stuff comes to mind: it's when (I think, I may be getting this backwards) you walk by a blank wall, looking for a door, and reach a dead end, and you think you're done for, but as you turn around, that blank wall actually has the door on it, the entity just 'hid' it from you.

Video games in particular have so much potential for this sort of mind fuckery, it really should be used more often.

Eternal Darkness is the only game I'm aware of that's really run with the concept of mind-fuckery. It definitely needs to be done more in horror games, since it lets the devs mess with the player, not just the player character.

Jakabite posted:

Have fun running from the Brute.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Jakabite posted:

They're definitely good in their own right, and go a little more into loving with you psychologically, especially Black Plague. I wouldn't say they're as scary as Amnesia but they're still pretty intense. Plus, Black Plague has a hidden shoot 'em up minigame.

That said, make sure you play the Justine DLC on Amnesia as well. It's not quite the same as the main game, but it's a pretty relentless gauntlet and it features some interesting puzzles. The thing that sucks about it--IIRC--is that there are no continues, at all.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

BlackFrost posted:

The thing that sucks about it--IIRC--is that there are no continues, at all.

There is in fact no saving at all, I believe.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Nope. If I remember right, if you die the game closes!

Aside from that, Justine is great.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

Amnesia wasn't very scary to me after the first few monsters. Oh no, here comes another one! I better backtrack and wait two minutes for it to shamble away

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

In anticipation for this game I'm trying to play through Amnesia, but I'm having a problem with my graphics. The fog is so bright I can see everything and it's ruining the atmosphere.

Here's the start screen to give an idea of the gamma level.

And here's a picture of the problem.

What can I do to fix this?

Please goons. Help me poo poo my pants in fear.

Travic fucked around with this message at Mar 5, 2012 around 04:38

Gestalt Intellect
Sep 14, 2011

did someone say puzzles

I'm pretty sure that's normal, when you stay in darkness for a few seconds your eyes adjust to it and you can see further.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

what even the heck

The problem I've had is that none of the loving light sources work. I guess it's a problem with my ancient video card, but it still sucks that I can't play the only really scary survival horror game released in ages.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

Travic posted:

In anticipation for this game I'm trying to play through Amnesia, but I'm having a problem with my graphics. The fog is so bright I can see everything and it's ruining the atmosphere.

Here's the start screen to give an idea of the gamma level.

And here's a picture of the problem.

What can I do to fix this?

Please goons. Help me poo poo my pants in fear.

That's just how the game, and most games, render fog. I think it's because the fog isn't set to be black, it's set to be a dark grey. It looks like you're still pretty early in the game, so it's not SUPPOSED to be inky black yet.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Ok. I'm just worried because I seem to be one of the people who fortunatelyunfortunately seem to be immune to atmospheric horror games and I'm trying to get good and scared by Amnesia. Like in Dead Space when you hear a wrench hit the ground somewhere you're supposed to think, "Oh poo poo a necromorph is stalking me!" I know there aren't any around because necros don't make that noise. If I don't hear necroscream4.wav I know I'm safe. How do I get out of this mindset?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Travic posted:

Ok. I'm just worried because I seem to be one of the people who fortunatelyunfortunately seem to be immune to atmospheric horror games and I'm trying to get good and scared by Amnesia. Like in Dead Space when you hear a wrench hit the ground somewhere you're supposed to think, "Oh poo poo a necromorph is stalking me!" I know there aren't any around because necros don't make that noise. If I don't hear necroscream4.wav I know I'm safe. How do I get out of this mindset?

Same way as you suspend your disbelief when you watch/play anything?

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Travic posted:

You don't have to. Frictional's aware that people will tune into cue noises, and they use that against the player.

Nothing's scarier than the monster in your imagination, after all.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Schlegel Mach posted:

You don't have to. Frictional's aware that people will tune into cue noises, and they use that against the player.

Nothing's scarier than the monster in your imagination, after all.

This is definitely true. The game will use other things against you as you get further, and I seem to recall Justine pulling a lot of nasty tricks as well (Never confirmed this, but while doing a puzzle in Justine it spawned a monster to bang on a door, which made me panic and scramble to finish the puzzle, but the door never ended up getting hit again and never broke down? Not sure if that was the game playing with me or a glitch, though).

Once you get to the Storage the game stops playing nice. It's the first time you get a real taste of what the game is going to throw at you, and it only escalates from there. The water part before that is pretty intense too, though.

ninety
Mar 13, 2007

I'm finally getting around to playing Dark Descent and I'm comfortable with calling it a waking nightmare. I've never had to psyche myself up like this to play a game before.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Lowtax

One of the neat visual tricks I loved about Dark Descent, and it was something I believe they cribbed from Silent Hill, was the fountain in the... gently caress I forget the name of the area, but it's the hub area in the first half. It starts out innocent enough, but as you progress and return it becomes more, and more demonic. Eventually it's a blood-filled pool with a demonic statue growing from it.

Tripped me out.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

THAT'S WHAT THE SONG WAS REALLY ABOUT

Travic posted:

Goons help, I am literally a robot incapable of feeling emotions

Hakkesshu
Nov 3, 2009

All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.

One of the most memorable parts of Amnesia was that things changed ever so slightly when you died.

I remember hiding from a monster inside a storage room or something, and it slowly went away. I then died later on in the level, and when I reloaded I went back and did the exact same thing to hide from the monster, only it broke through the loving door this time

I'm always up for more good horror titles. I feel that games can create way more effective experiences in this genre than any other medium, but few developers actually have the skills or will to pull it off.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..

I'm a bit of a fan of Amnesia, I hold it up there with Ice-Pick Lodge's games. It does a fantastic job of establishing its setting and mood that you get sucked in. Amnesia had this uneasy feeling to it when played that isn't often replicated in a game. It's hard to pinpoint the freakier moments for me: the first time you encounter the monsters and hide is a blast, the fountain that slowly changes, dealing with the first water section, and the torture rooms; not to mention the cheap scares.

The hard part for me with its sequel is to avoid any information about it. I read far too much before playing Amnesia and it spoiled a good deal of the game for me. These games should always be played blind, in a dark room, with the volume cranked up.

breadcat
Nov 10, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Goons help, I am literally a robot incapable of feeling emotions

I'd think there's a difference between that and having a nervous breakdown every time a video game monster jumps out at you and says boo.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Dear Esther is the best video game writing to date, are extremely lucky for this partnership. This is my most anticipated game of 2012, I honestly can't pre-order this game das enough.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

breadcat posted:

I'd think there's a difference between that and having a nervous breakdown every time a video game monster jumps out at you and says boo.

Yeah I was more responding to "If I don't hear necroscream4.wav I know I'm safe."

If you break it down that much than yes you're not going to get scared, quit breaking it down.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah I was more responding to "If I don't hear necroscream4.wav I know I'm safe."

If you break it down that much than yes you're not going to get scared, quit breaking it down.

I think the Amnesia games are good with that. They aren't scary games in that they just have things jump out at you and make spooky noises. More like they are creepy games in that it's all atmospheric tension and not direct scares.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

One of the neat visual tricks I loved about Dark Descent, and it was something I believe they cribbed from Silent Hill, was the fountain in the... gently caress I forget the name of the area, but it's the hub area in the first half. It starts out innocent enough, but as you progress and return it becomes more, and more demonic. Eventually it's a blood-filled pool with a demonic statue growing from it.

Tripped me out.
It's called a Childsnake, and yea that whole room is a great touch. I think they may have had a little more planned for the room, since the entity that renders the water surface (the water physics are a defined volume, the water surface and its visual effects are a different entity) are called childsnake_water or something. Or maybe they just created the entity for the water in the decorative channels on the floor, then just used it for everything else because it ended up being simpler.

I wish they had a monster in that thing's theme. Something huge, hideous, yet vaguely biologically familiar, pale and misshapen, slithering about in search of who knows what.

Fnoigy fucked around with this message at Mar 5, 2012 around 12:33

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

Dorepoll posted:

Dear Esther is the best video game writing to date, are extremely lucky for this partnership. This is my most anticipated game of 2012, I honestly can't pre-order this game das enough.

Oh come on, the story was passable but it's far from the best video game story.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

Internet is only an instrument and there is no ruling on it.

The entire game of Amnesia was meant to be a lot more open and complex compared to what was actually delivered. A lot of those hub rooms like with the fountain were meant to be re-enterable with you having to go around the entire castle to solve different puzzles at different times in the game. What we got instead was something a lot more linear because they were running out of time and had to get the game out the door in an acceptable state.

The game turned out alright in the end, but I would have preferred if they had been able to complete their original vision as stated in all the design docs and such included in the game files.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Robo Reagan posted:

Oh come on, the story was passable but it's far from the best video game story.

I didn't play Dear Esther but writing quality and story quality are two very different things when it comes to videogames

Mr. Fish
Nov 4, 2009

small and orange

Dorepoll posted:

I haven't played Dear Esther yet but from what I have seen it looks great and I hope that is part of what thechineseroom will be working with, aesthetics, even though the Frictional guys really have that down together with story already.

Are they going to call this one Amnesia too? Seems like the first one pretty much claimed the title there.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Mr. Fish posted:

Are they going to call this one Amnesia too? Seems like the first one pretty much claimed the title there.

I wouldn't put it past the player character having amnesia being the theme of this game as well, it's based in the same universe as the first game so it may very well feature the machine for pigs tying in with something more occult.

A mass-production industry version of "Paint the man, cut the lines" would be loving awesome.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

Daniel, turn around this instant! You're carrying the sausage with you!

I actually don't quite get what the original line was supposed to mean. Is it basically Alexander trying to keep Daniel from getting him killed if Daniel gets to the inner sanctum, as Daniel is basically the ultimate target for the shadow as it works to bring the orb to its intended place, and anybody who gets in the middle is doomed?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

What?

Fnoigy posted:

Daniel, turn around this instant! You're carrying the sausage with you!

I actually don't quite get what the original line was supposed to mean. Is it basically Alexander trying to keep Daniel from getting him killed if Daniel gets to the inner sanctum, as Daniel is basically the ultimate target for the shadow as it works to bring the orb to its intended place, and anybody who gets in the middle is doomed?

I think he didn't want Daniel to bring the shadow to the Sanctum and gently caress up Alexander's plan. It wasn't "Get out of here, its not safe!" it was "Get out of here you murderous psychopath, you'll ruin everything.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

That's what I meant.

I'm actually disappointed that they don't seem to have any plans to make any connections between the two games other than "takes place in the same universe.". I mean, why establish that they're in the same universe if that statement is the only thing that makes it so? I just hope that they don't get a lot of backlash from customers who miss that and get upset when there's no orbs or orb guardians or whatever.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Fnoigy posted:

That's what I meant.

I'm actually disappointed that they don't seem to have any plans to make any connections between the two games other than "takes place in the same universe.". I mean, why establish that they're in the same universe if that statement is the only thing that makes it so? I just hope that they don't get a lot of backlash from customers who miss that and get upset when there's no orbs or orb guardians or whatever.

Being in the same universe can let it play with related bits of the occult without completely overlapping. After all, considering the horrible things (and Things) we saw in Amnesia, do you really think that the rest of the cosmos is sunshine and daisies? I can really easily see the Machine for Pigs being an industrialized PAINT THE MAN CUT THE LINES like Songbearer suggested, which would certainly be related to Amnesia, but could go off on a completely different tangent, and might somehow even be more horrifying. Some giant industrial torture-machine that methodically mass-tortures and mutilates people to an acceptable height of fear and pain before butchering them for vitae is one of the most nauseatingly horrifying things I've ever thought of, and I hate you putting the thought into my head, Songbearer. The Choir in Amnesia was so immensely disturbing to me already, just thinking about it.. ugh. And yet, that machine would be a hundred times worse.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Wolpertinger posted:

The Choir in Amnesia was so immensely disturbing to me already, just thinking about it.. ugh. And yet, that machine would be a hundred times worse.

My favourite part of the area is the name. The Choir. Many s were had when I got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday Averted
Jun 12, 2010

I've yet to beat Dark Descent although got fairly far in it. Think I'll fire it up and give it a full go. That game taxes me mentally to the point I have to put it down after a while for a few hours, which led to me getting sidetracked with other games.

Regardless, this is a Day-1 purchase for me.

«20 »