Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«8 »
Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Do they actually drive that thing with a goddamn ladder hanging in front of the windshield?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

You need to click the icon.

Doppelganger posted:

Do they actually drive that thing with a goddamn ladder hanging in front of the windshield?

They need the ladder ready to deploy at a moment's notice after they plow into oncoming traffic or run off the road on Lombard Street so their "operators" can get out safely.

That's why it's called a "rescue" vehicle!

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

I just want to know what that thing can do that a firetruck can't, other than turn a sharper corner.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

It can justify and additional $X on next year's budget, for one.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Cthulu Carl posted:

They need the ladder ready to deploy at a moment's notice after they plow into oncoming traffic or run off the road on Lombard Street so their "operators" can get out safely.

That's why it's called a "rescue" vehicle!

I like to think the ladder juts out in front like that so they can ram people off the road while using the lights/sirens to help clear traffic on the way to Starbucks, with possible decapitation involved for extra excitement. I actually saw this happen once (The lights/sirens on the way to starbucks part, not the "ram and decapitate them with an APC" part)

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Rah! posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Not every police department has one, but plenty do. Here's more evidence, aside form all those pictures posted so far: The San Francisco Police Department has one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvis_...n_APC#Operators

Here it is in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlyk...&feature=relmfu

The SFPD also has one of these APCs, though it isn't 6-wheeled:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenco_BearCat

Oh come on, those vehicles are clearly meant for rescue operations. I mean, they even have "Rescue" spraypainted right on them.

Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!

a handful of dust posted:

Ah, ok. I never paid attention to their badges or anything.

It's kind of funny to be sitting in a train car full of sleepy commuters on their way to work and see one of these clowns walking by decked out in BDUs, combat boots and tactical vest. Dudes had AR-15s and pistols in low-ride holsters, with extra mags strapped everywhere.

Basically like this:

I wonder if they realize how stupid they look?

That's not the TSA or a VIPR team.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

a thousand smackeroos

Jiro Kage posted:

That's not the TSA or a VIPR team.

I know, that was kind of the point. You see regular cops on trains all the time, it doesn't really seem like there's a security hole that needs to be plugged by a bunch of poorly trained rent-a-cops.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

give me darkness and a bottle to hold

Trap Star posted:

every pot seller has a loaded shotgun beside him at all times

A little late, but most of the time that is true.

FellowAmerican
Oct 2, 2007
I'm too busy philosophizing to get up

I find that the people who fly the least are the ones that complain the most.

Skyworks
Oct 2, 2010

by angerbutt

The Bible posted:

Oh come on, those vehicles are clearly meant for rescue operations. I mean, they even have "Rescue" spraypainted right on them.

Our local police bought one of those BearCat things last year and on Sunday some kids robbed an old lady with a firearm at the local train station and that thing turned up with a bunch of tooled up dudes.

To be fair when we walked past they were standing in groups smoking, so not sure what the point was really.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Skyworks posted:

Our local police bought one of those BearCat things last year and on Sunday some kids robbed an old lady with a firearm at the local train station and that thing turned up with a bunch of tooled up dudes.

To be fair when we walked past they were standing in groups smoking, so not sure what the point was really.

If they don't drive it the odometer will never say funny words!

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005
MAD ABOUT WATCHES

GAY RETARD posted:

A little late, but most of the time that is true.

No, it isn't. Most drug dealers aren't willing to murder police to protect their stash, and if anything the reason they have weapons is to protect against robberies, another nice by-product of the black market nature of the substance.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I seriously doubt anyone here has any kind of realistic data on what "most pot dealers" own weapons-wise or what their mentality on using weapons is.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Earwicker posted:

I seriously doubt anyone here has any kind of realistic data on what "most pot dealers" own weapons-wise or what their mentality on using weapons is.

Nobody has presented anything really concrete in here except "Guns and tanks are scary and I'm mad that the cops have some."

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Cage Kicker posted:

Nobody has presented anything really concrete in here except "Guns and tanks are scary and I'm mad that the cops have some."

The militarization of police is definitely a thing in the US, it's not just hippies scared of guns or whatever:

http://www.theatlantic.com/national...-police/248047/
http://www.theatlantic.com/national...-happen/248828/

If you have access to JSTOR or something, a bunch of scholarly stuff has been written about it too, and not much of it is positive.

Here's an interesting bit about the social effects of police militarization:

If the police want to increasingly use APC's and other military gear, the burden should be on them to prove to the population that this is necessary and beneficial. Not the other way around.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

I especially liked this part:

The point here is not to suggest that police officers in the field should not take advantage of every tactic or piece of equipment that makes them safer as they carry out their often challenging and strenuous duties. Nor do I mean to suggest that a police officer, once trained in military tactics, will now seek to kill civilians. It is far too easy for Monday-morning quarterbacks to unfairly second-guess the way police officers perform their jobs while they are out on the streets waging what must, at times, feel like a war.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

My city (Aurora Colorado) banded together with a few other smaller cities and got an APC. The official justification for it was something about the ability to bust through exterior walls to rescue kids in case of another Columbine-style attack. While that sounds good I guess, I can't help but wonder just how well that would go, since the news coverage immediately after the attack mentioned that most of the children were up against those exterior walls with makeshift barricades out of tables and such.

As far as I know, the APC has only been outside its hangar for the photo op in the paper, and when they taught someone how to drive it. I think the only real benefit from it though, is that they had an excuse to not tear down the building they store it in, as the PD took over part of an Air Force base that closed down some years ago.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!

Skyworks posted:

I was told the general procedure in my area is to activate SWAT if there's the potential of someone using a firearm (ie: a domestic call where there are firearms in the house, armed robberies, etc...). They get brought on scene in case things go sideways, so they don't have to take 30 minutes to grab their gear and drive out if a meth head starts shooting at people during a routine call. My understanding is most of the time they don't have to do anything and do a lot of smoking and joking. It's a "just in case" thing.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

F != m * a

I know, that was kind of the point. You see regular cops on trains all the time, it doesn't really seem like there's a security hole that needs to be plugged by a bunch of poorly trained rent-a-cops.

BART PD exists because back in the 70s when the system was built people in the suburbs were terrified that minoritiescriminals would be using BART to commute out to their idyllic villages to commit crimes so there had to be a law enforcement agency that could cross jurisdictions when necessary. These days the crime commutes in to the city from the suburbs like everyone else though.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Earwicker posted:

Of the 'most pot dealers' I know, I once saw one pretend to use a spent bong like a shotgun. Chik-chik, POW you're hosed up dude! Those crazy potheads, I can totally see why we have all these laws.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Speaking from experience, small time drug dealer's attitudes toward weapons are as variable as the general public's.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

No good ever came from a piece of cherry pie.

Cardiovorax posted:

That's almost kind of awesome again. "APC? We don't need any of that pussy poo poo, just bolt a bit o' them thar steel scrap to the ol' Bronco and call it a day. "

It kind of is, but we have no use for it at all. If I were to walk out my back door, through the yard, and through the trees behind the house, I'd be looking at the police station. To get to me in case I needed cops for whatever reason would take them roughly 15-20 minutes. The shortest route to me is about 1/8th of a mile.

When the gun shop down the street from me was "robbed" (inside job by the owner's son to make a competing shop's break in look less suspicious) it took them 22 minutes to travel 2207 feet. From the station to the shop was a left, a right, another right, and you're there.

Our police force is a loving joke. Hell, we rent an officer from a nearby town to enforce traffic laws on school days. We have zero need for an uparmored vehicle.

thelightguy
Feb 6, 2007

Well there's your problem.

babies havin rabies posted:

Speaking from experience, small time drug dealer's attitudes toward weapons are as variable as the general public's.

I know more white supremacists with weapons than drug dealers.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

When only the very best Goat will do

Cthulu Carl posted:

Hell, on the loving retarded 'Sons of Guns' show, they outfitted a Sheriff's boat with an M240 machine gun and a MK19 GRENADE LAUNCHER.

Why? "Well, a belt-fed grenade launcher is ideal for marking rescue sites using smoke grenades!"

Never explained the need for a machine gun though.

I used to laugh at that show and enjoy it for the "LoL Southerners" Aspect.

Soon as I heard them say, we need a grenade launcher on a sheriff's boat. I turned it off and haven't watched it since.

Trivial things that unreasonably enrage you, indeed.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

VendaGoat posted:

I used to laugh at that show and enjoy it for the "LoL Southerners" Aspect.

Soon as I heard them say, we need a grenade launcher on a sheriff's boat. I turned it off and haven't watched it since.

Trivial things that unreasonably enrage you, indeed.

It's really a toss-up for what the most enraging aspect of that show is: The constant fellating of LEOs/PMCs ("You want a gyro-mounted machine gun to help you kill browns from a helicopter better? Hell we can do that!") or their default solution to any problem of modifying assault rifles ("Need to hunt boar? Have a tacticLOLed AR-15!" "Let's make a sniper AK for NO REASON!")

I have no idea why I watch shows I hate...

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

When only the very best Goat will do

Cthulu Carl posted:

It's really a toss-up for what the most enraging aspect of that show is: The constant fellating of LEOs/PMCs ("You want a gyro-mounted machine gun to help you kill browns from a helicopter better? Hell we can do that!") or their default solution to any problem of modifying assault rifles ("Need to hunt boar? Have a tacticLOLed AR-15!" "Let's make a sniper AK for NO REASON!")

I have no idea why I watch shows I hate...

Watching shows you hate....

Please venture into The Walking Dead thread and stand in AWE!

These people have taken their hate for this show into the highest form of love imaginable.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Cage Kicker posted:

Perhaps several thousand points of data by way of videos, anecdotes, and new reports?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...5#post392159492

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

yes hello i make my own faults everyone else's problem because i am physically incapable of doing basic things like breathing without a step-by-step guide which I will promptly ignore and cry about it being too hard please disregard everything I say

Currently going through the thread, but on the first/second page of it there were a lot of comments along the lines of "People avoid flying because of this sort of stuff".

I'm curious, has that actually been proven that the number of flyers is down, and more specifically that the cause is due to the TSA's policies? There's always been a strong disconnect between how people react to the TSA on forums/etc and how the general public reacts. Didn't anti-security folks try and stall out the TSA scanners when the scanners came online, but it didn't work since the majority of passengers just go through without issue?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

FRINGE posted:

Perhaps several thousand points of data by way of videos, anecdotes, and new reports?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...5#post392159492

COTB was a horrible abortion of a thread full of a bunch of stupid hippies jacking each other off over how much they hate the cops, and this thread is just a diet version of that.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Cage Kicker posted:

COTB was a horrible abortion of a thread full of a bunch of stupid hippies jacking each other off over how much they hate the cops, and this thread is just a diet version of that.

While I haven't read the entirety of it, I've read enough to know that it sources its claims a lot better than you source yours.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Cage Kicker posted:

Those twenty threads were full of non-opinion pieces detailing (far too often with video and picture evidence) a grotesque variety of police abuses across America.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

The Bible posted:

While I haven't read the entirety of it, I've read enough to know that it sources its claims a lot better than you source yours.

Which claims would those be?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Cage Kicker posted:

You are not taking cracks at a several years long series of threads without actually reading them are you?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

FRINGE posted:

You are not taking cracks at a several years long series of threads without actually reading them are you?

No.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Cage Kicker posted:

Hmm.

Cage Kicker posted:

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Cage Kicker posted:

You couldn't possibly be any more stupid.

e: take the long erection of the law out of your mouth and rear end and actually read some of the threads to prove you aren't a complete moron, please and thanks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Trap Star posted:

You couldn't possibly be any more stupid.

e: take the long erection of the law out of your mouth and rear end and actually read some of the threads to prove you aren't a complete moron, please and thanks.

What are you, illiterate? I did read them. They were all horrible.

The Bible posted:

Hmm.

You want me to source my opinion?

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

Cage Kicker posted:

Whether you are trolling or just literally this stupid, thanks for letting everyone know your opinions are complete garbage and not worth paying attention to. You've done GBS a great service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Cage Kicker posted:

Why? Were the sources incorrect, or was there just no sourcing at all? What specific problem did you have with them to make you believe that the data in them is not factual?

Cage Kicker posted:

You want me to source my opinion?

No, I want you to explain why you think the threads are horrible. Seeing as they are largely well-sourced and filled with actual factual data, I'd really like to see a solid reason as to why you'd disagree with them.

«8 »