Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
:siren: FTL: Advanced Edition out! It features mind control, Chris Avellone's writing, new weapons, and so on! :siren:

https://vimeo.com/79104930

FTL is out! Buy it at the game's website or GOG.com or Steam or the App Store

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8EoWRQ1-W4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V_mUnYb928

What is FTL?

FTL describes itself as a roguelike-like spaceship simulator. You're in charge of a spaceship that jumps from location to location, encountering all sorts of crazy stuff each time you jump. Your ship is on the run from an enemy fleet and you must reach your home empire or whatever and warn it of the approaching fleet. Along the way, you will meet aliens, pirates, traders, nebulas, asteroid fields, and alien pirates attacking alien traders in astroid fields. They call themselves a roguelike because (from their FAQ):

quote:

We use the term loosely, mostly just as a representation for some of the main thematic elements of the genre. This includes permadeath, randomly generated game worlds, relatively short play sessions (15-60 minutes), and a single-player focus.

So, a bunch of frantic jumps through space, ending with your ship exploding.

The real fun is in the details. You get to order all your little crewmen around to the various stations, putting out fires, repelling intruders, and manning the ship's systems so that you can shoot at the enemy and so on. Each crew member gets better at whatever it is they're doing, so as you go on, your pilot gets better at piloting, your engineer gets better at repairing the engines, and so on. Meanwhile, on your journey you will continually find new parts to retrofit your ship with, like missile launchers, drone systems, beam lasers, and so on.

You can teleport crew members onto enemy ships to kill their crew and sabotage their systems, but watch out - the enemy can board you, too! If you get boarded, or if you ship catches on fire, sometimes it's best to lock everything down and open some bulkhead doors to let the cold, uncaring vacuum of space take care of everything.

Important Things

Above images by Dog Toggle Switch

Above images by Diet Coke

By h_double

Above two by Nigel Davis

Above two by Martin Lutz

FAQ

Will there be more FTL? DLC? Expansion? Sequel?
The Advanced Edition is out - that's probably all there is, but they've said they're maybe thinking about an Android version.

I Wish My Mantis Wasn't Named Remo
This mod by Tommofork replaces all the names with people who have posted in this thread. This mod by NotInventedHere replaces them with names from sci-fi movies and TV shows.

My Beams Aren't Penetrating Enemy Shields! I Was Promised Full On Hot Penetration Action!
Some of the damage of a beam weapon makes it through enemy shields. If the weapon has low or no damage (a Bio-Beam has 0 damage, for instance) it will not penetrate.

I Got to the Boss and WTF Do I Do Now?
The game explains it in the flavor text at the end and also to the left of the map when you jump, but: You need to take the fight to enemy flagship. Jump towards it and engage it before it reaches your base.

How Do I Unlock Other Ships?
There are hints in the ship select menu. If you want spoilers, the wiki has you covered. If you're lazy, you can download this profile save file and stick it in your save folder. Thanks Headline!

Unlocking the Crystal ship is bullshit
Yeah, it is. This save file is one that starts at the end of sector 1 with a universe where it's possible to unlock the ship.

Can I Mod the Game?
There are some primitive mods available which are summarized in this thread and hopefully at this wiki page. Infinite Space is worth a look - it takes the ending out and makes the game go on forever.

Anything Else?
The official forums are a good place to check if you want to know anything else about the game.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Spaceships are awesome...
How much does this resemble the Space station 13 game goons always go nuts about?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

How much does this resemble the Space station 13 game goons always go nuts about?

It's not multiplayer, which is one huge difference. It's also probably a little less detailed. SS13 seems to me to be part social game, part space game. This is like, 100% space game.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

SS13 is a poo simulator so I imagine not much.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
And from what I know of SS13, you control a character, right? In this you're controlling the crew of your spaceship, rather than one person.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
This game is awesome. Played the demo, pitched in, and can't wait to get the full game.

Hopefully I'll see the creators at GDC so I can rub my bal tell them how great it is.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
This looks amazing. Might install onlive just to try the demo.

Edit: Wasn't there a similar (but more X-Com like) Kickstarter for a mobile phone game? I forget the name of it.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
Well I made a post about this very same game when a forum search didn't show me this thread. If the op wants to use any of the stuff I added feel free.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3469797

Reive
May 21, 2009

Played the hell out of the demo, I usually dislike space games like this, but the format really makes it fun.

I'm going to have to get in on the kickstarter for the beta cause I really want to play as soon as possible.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
kickstarted! this looks like a fun game, and sort of similar to the Battlestations board game. I'll hopefully be playing the beta soon.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

The demo is really cool. I was already very interested in this when I first saw it (like 6 months ago?) but yeah the demo solidifies it.

How many sectors have you guys gotten through? I haven't died yet (so hopefully it gets a lot harder as you go) but I do keep running out of time around sector 3/4.

Ed: Oh whoops apparently it stops at 2. I guess I shouldnt play games at 3am.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 2, 2012

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

yegods posted:

sort of similar to the Battlestations board game.

That was the first thing I thought of. The creators are purportedly into board games, so it may even be a point of inspiration.

Of course, thinking about that makes me want a multiplayer version where each player controls an individual crew member, with stuff like boarding operations.

Whooping Toff
Oct 21, 2010

*ahem*

I do beg your pardon.
Practically any game that can be linked to Nexus gets a big plus in my books, looking pretty good. Now just merge Starfarer with this and make the King Of Space Games (with a sprinkling of Freelancer too).

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
Hot drat this game is awesome. I love the demo, and I am super excited for the full game. Personally I'm going to wait to see what new >$40 rewards they add before I pledge because I would seriously consider them, the demo got me into the game that much. I don't remember the last time a demo got me so into a game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Question about kickstarter: When I pledge money, do they bill me now, or when the collection period ends? I know they don't get any money if they don't meet their goal (not a problem in this case) but I hate having payments outstanding (i.e. money in my bank account that's already spoken for).

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

iolo_the_bard posted:

Question about kickstarter: When I pledge money, do they bill me now, or when the collection period ends? I know they don't get any money if they don't meet their goal (not a problem in this case) but I hate having payments outstanding (i.e. money in my bank account that's already spoken for).

They bill you when the collection period ends. Don't pledge until the day before or something.

In other news I got around to playing this on OnLive. It was quite a bit of fun. It felt a little limited, as in I was doing more or less the same thing every fight and just sort of hoping nothing major caught on fire, but since this is the unfinished game, I imagine the added stuff will make it more fun. And there's no question that ordering your crew around to put out fires and repair the shields while enemy lasers and missiles shoot at you and asteroids smash into you is something that I've wanted out of a videogame for a long time.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

This looks cool but fat chance of me using onlive.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Played the demo, liked it a lot.

Unfortunately it ran out of time before I really got into the good stuff :(

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009

Bedshaped posted:

Played the demo, liked it a lot.

Unfortunately it ran out of time before I really got into the good stuff :(

You can replay it as much as you want but there is only 2 sectors open in the demo.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

This game is so 1995 it makes me so happy that people still make those kind of games.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

And from what I know of SS13, you control a character, right? In this you're controlling the crew of your spaceship, rather than one person.

Yeah. You control one spaceman then "do" some job you signed up as then go to the bar, eat some human meat burgers and poo all over the hallways. Then the janitor cleans it up makes people slip and steals their stuff, but usually Cogwerks blew everything up by then.

Anyway on topic, They game looks fun but it doesn't look like there's free ship movement. Would be fun to be able to fly around like a jackass and shoot crew mates out the airlock while you fly by a star. Also it's on OnLive.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2WX5F7W8qk

This owns. Co-Editor-in-Chief at Voodoo Extreme, @Ohmwrecker beat the final demo boss, which was apparently imposable. It really shows off how cool this game will be. I've haven't tried the Onlive demo, because it doesn't work in Australia, but I've backed and I can't wait to try it

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
So this is basically North Star, the Sundog style sim Kerberos wanted to make before Sword of the Stars 2. That's pretty awesome. A real shame about the Onlive thing though.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Yeah. Even with this amazing new university connection in the heart of New Zealand's largest city, OnLive refuses to work at all, so I can't give this a go :(

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
I almost beat the final ship as well. Was he able to continue after he did beat it?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

NiknudStunod posted:

I almost beat the final ship as well. Was he able to continue after he did beat it?

He shows in the video that he did. HE ran out of time though.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
Got very close to beating that last boss. It repaired its weapons too fast though and blew me up...

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?
I've played the demo of this and it's fairly fun, but it definitely needs some work...

"Big Ship" sims are exactly my kind of game, really like the idea of commanding one large ship in space. Not much in that category, and I was hoping for some suggestions... EV Nova is great but I've played it to death, I-War is a little dated and doesn't seem that free-form. Have enjoyed SPAZ but it is getting a little repetitive, Starpoint Gemini was... decent, and I cannot wait for Starfarer to come out.

From the ones you mentioned, Starshatter and Nexus look good. Anyone else have any recommendations for a game like that?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
X3 also lets you do the whole "big ship" thing. Other than that I'm drawing blanks.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

This was quite interesting. A long way to go, but it's promising.

I'd like something similar but from a first person perspective. You play one of a small crew manning a much larger ship. Charging around to man weapons batteries and repair things. I don't know why that idea appeals so much.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Backed the Kickstarter. I'm hoping this turns out well.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?

TychoCelchuuu posted:

X3 also lets you do the whole "big ship" thing. Other than that I'm drawing blanks.

X3 was... the learning curve was, shall we say, concave. Like that old graph of Eve's, sort of, lots of places to fall off.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

tolerabletariff posted:

X3 was... the learning curve was, shall we say, concave. Like that old graph of Eve's, sort of, lots of places to fall off.

X3 was literally the only commercial game that I tried and failed to grasp. Not in the sense that I didn't like it, but literally failed to learn how to play it. Given that I'm an avid Dwarf Fortress player and EVE veteran... :v:

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Broken Knees Club posted:

X3 was literally the only commercial game that I tried and failed to grasp. Not in the sense that I didn't like it, but literally failed to learn how to play it. Given that I'm an avid Dwarf Fortress player and EVE veteran... :v:

I don't see why people have such a hard time grasping X3.

You should try playing one of Derek Smart's Battlecruiser games. THAT is an impossible to grasp game. If you can even get past the stupid acronym abuse. Also it's terribly bad.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

tolerabletariff posted:

I've played the demo of this and it's fairly fun, but it definitely needs some work...

"Big Ship" sims are exactly my kind of game, really like the idea of commanding one large ship in space. Not much in that category, and I was hoping for some suggestions... EV Nova is great but I've played it to death, I-War is a little dated and doesn't seem that free-form. Have enjoyed SPAZ but it is getting a little repetitive, Starpoint Gemini was... decent, and I cannot wait for Starfarer to come out.

From the ones you mentioned, Starshatter and Nexus look good. Anyone else have any recommendations for a game like that?

You could try Universal Combat which I just found out is apparently free now. It's the latest Battlecruiser game and while I remember it being pretty bad, it's got a couple of things worth seeing. From what I recall, it has a pretty detailed crew and subsystems management as well.

I really wanted to like this game, I loved the idea that you could land on any planet or moon, even fly around in a gas giant's atmosphere. You could do stuff like set your big gently caress-off battleship to orbit a planet, go down in a shuttle, land on the surface and roll out in an armored transport or just walk around in your spacesuit. I can't think of any other space game that could do something like that, apart from the Elite series and maybe Noctis.

As I said though, it's a pretty bad game. I mean, I can suffer through a lot of poo poo (I think) and I played quite a few buggy, badly translated games with horrible UI just because they had something unique or interesting about them, but I couldn't get through Battlecruiser...

Here you can get the first three games in the series for free:
http://www.3000ad.com/download/

Nexus is a great, beautiful game though, you'll love it. It's the ultimate 'big ships pew pew pew explosions in space' game.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Broken Knees Club posted:

Same except I think it's because it doesn't hold your attention enough to be worth committing the time.

Also one of the few games that screams for a joystick yet doesn't play well with one.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

MeruFM posted:

Same except I think it's because it doesn't hold your attention enough to be worth committing the time.

Also one of the few games that screams for a joystick yet doesn't play well with one.
My 3D pro works fantasic with X3.

The problem with X3 can be how slow it is. But if you do the right startup you can be kicking as in no time (With the right use of SETA).

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I could never get into X3, everything was just too dry and sterile. It's a game I should technically love, and I've tried to play it a few times but I always lose interest pretty soon. :(

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
New video describing some of the features they've added since the demo, including cloaking, boarders, and transporters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLcc2p_PXZg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

TychoCelchuuu posted:

New video describing some of the features they've added since the demo, including cloaking, boarders, and transporters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLcc2p_PXZg

Those new features look great. Pretty fun video, too, once it gets going.

• Locked thread