Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMQ8vG3M8Gk

Gameplay Video #5 is up and shows the updated Stealth Ship. Things are looking pretty good.

Supposedly this is the last video before the closed beta begins. In the video he specifically mentions that the closed beta will be limited to Kickstarter folks, but, uhm... I didn't know there was any other way to preorder the game yet. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Jinkeez posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMQ8vG3M8Gk

Gameplay Video #5 is up and shows the updated Stealth Ship. Things are looking pretty good.

Supposedly this is the last video before the closed beta begins. In the video he specifically mentions that the closed beta will be limited to Kickstarter folks, but, uhm... I didn't know there was any other way to preorder the game yet. :shrug:

Wish I hadn't missed the kickstarter. I hope beta won't be too long or they have a preorder beta a few weeks after the kickstarter. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't take my money.

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008
Got an update through Kickstarter last night, looks like the beta will be going live within the next 48 hours. Yay!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Jinkeez posted:

Got an update through Kickstarter last night, looks like the beta will be going live within the next 48 hours. Yay!

Oh awesome, good news for me!

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
If anyone is a 25$ backer and didn't get an email (like me), here's why

quote:

I attempted to send out messages to our backers via Kickstarter, but the $25 tier had too many backers and it bugged out their system. The only relevant info is that we will be emailing you the Steam keys from our devteam email account (devteam@ftlgame), so make sure that it's on your white list for receiving emails. There will be more information with that email :)

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Man, if I get that key any time soon, I wont be sleeping tonight.

I'm ready.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Man, do I wish I would've had money when the kickstarter was going on. Hope they open it up to non-backers at some point.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
well I may have a second key to give to some lucky goon. I promised it to a friend of mine but he did not seem interested at the time. I will check with him and let you guys know.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

NiknudStunod posted:

well I may have a second key to give to some lucky goon. I promised it to a friend of mine but he did not seem interested at the time. I will check with him and let you guys know.

If it's for the full game (and not just a temp beta password or something), I can probably trade you a game or two for that FTL copy.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.
gently caress yes, just got my beta key!

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

ted_himself posted:

gently caress yes, just got my beta key!

Same here. YAY.

Cynicide
Jun 13, 2002

Born from a wish
Anyone know how to repair your hull? Fighting pirates near a sun is cool and everything but there were some ... incidents.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Cynicide posted:

Anyone know how to repair your hull? Fighting pirates near a sun is cool and everything but there were some ... incidents.

Until you get drones, I can't see a way other then going to the "Shop" sector on the map and paying for repairs.

But so far this is great. I couldn't play the On-live demo when it was up due to me being in Australia, but its really fun.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.
When you click on "ship" when you're just in regular space, you can upgrade loads of stuff by spending scrap on subsystems. I found some sweet weapons floating in space and thought "great, I can increase my power level and run three or four guns at once" but don't be tempted to fall into this trap - you also need to upgrade weapons capacity, which starts at 3 maximum. You'll see what I mean if you fart around with the game a bit.

Cynicide
Jun 13, 2002

Born from a wish
Yeah, I'm in Melbourne. I love betas that are released right after dinner.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
Ran out of fuel with the rebel fleet catching up to me. Figured it was game over, until the game just prompted me to wait. Put out a distress beacon, jumped the first filthy rebel ship to investigate, stole THEIR fuel, hopped into the next sector in a wake of fire and middle fingers and exceedingly loud Motley Crue.

Died in an asteroid belt two jumps in, but for a few minutes, we were gods.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
I'll be posting up a video I just made for anyone who's interested later this morning.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Well. My second game was going well until I got to sector 4. As soon as I warped to the first Beacon, I got hammered right away. I tried to fight but I couldn't win. It was a stalemate. I moved the Captain back onto his station and tried to jump out, hoping I would be nice and safe.

Nope. I warped right next to a sun, with solar flares going off every few seconds. But it wasn't only the sun I had to worry about. It was the nice big old Rebel ship that absolutely ripped my hull apart in 4 good, solid hits.

Maybe I advanced though sectors to quick. Either way, I had a blast.

Here's my stats from that game.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

dvorak posted:

I'll be posting up a video I just made for anyone who's interested later this morning.

Please do, I totally missed both the kickstarter and the OnLive demo and want a closer look at this.

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003
Is there any way to save the game at the moment? When in-game the "Main Menu" option says all progress will be lost.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

Please do, I totally missed both the kickstarter and the OnLive demo and want a closer look at this.

Delivering on video promises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD0BDsddvTM

I should note that I was super tired when I recorded this, as a result of a very long night of editing. So if it sounds like I'm only semi-conscious that would be why.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I keep dying in hilarious but entertaining ways. This is fun.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

nemotrm posted:

Is there any way to save the game at the moment? When in-game the "Main Menu" option says all progress will be lost.
Nope. This is a rogue-like. There is no way to save and I doubt they'll every implement it as it would work against the tension the option of not having the ability to save gives you.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

It would be cool if there was an option to suspend your game though at least.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

dvorak posted:

It would be cool if there was an option to suspend your game though at least.

I do kind of agree. Nothing worse then having to get up and leave your PC when you're a way into the game. But when can, I do like the feel "This is jump could be my last." feeling not having the option to save gives you.

Maybe an option like Dreadmor gives you might fit well.

I keep dying. I furthest I've made it was sector 4, and then I blew up dramatically.
Great game.

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003
That is basically what I meant by "Save my game", I want the ability to quit the program, but I don't want the ability to reload that save if I die.

dartt
May 31, 2011

HUZZAH!

dvorak posted:

I should note that I was super tired when I recorded this, as a result of a very long night of editing. So if it sounds like I'm only semi-conscious that would be why.

Thanks man. I'm gonna just wiggle my mouse around and pretend I'm playing.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
If you give the ability for people to suspend the game then you could suspend, and if things go badly you could reload your suspend. I guess you could just make it so if you load a suspend it deletes it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

dvorak posted:

Nice video man, but here's a few hints on things I think you should try to improve. Always keep a guy in the weapons room, it makes them fire more often and if you're taking down their weapons you don't need to keep your shields up. Also your laser has 3 bursts, so it can take 2 points of shielding off and get a hit in on a subsystem. Missiles are finite, so don't waste them on early enemies like that.

Also upgrade the cockpit, it gives you dodge chance if you have a guy in there. If the enemy ship has crew and you have sensor power to see them, you can target systems with missiles to try and take them out, the firebomb spreads fire and keeps it offline for longer because the crew has to fight the fire, don't use it on the same system twice.

Other than that you did alright I guess, I'm just really sad I didn't get to the kickstarter in time and can't play :(

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

tehsid posted:

Nope. This is a rogue-like. There is no way to save and I doubt they'll every implement it as it would work against the tension the option of not having the ability to save gives you.

What? "Death is permanent" does not mean "it is impossible to save", as demonstrated by every single roguelike.

ChewyLSB posted:

If you give the ability for people to suspend the game then you could suspend, and if things go badly you could reload your suspend. I guess you could just make it so if you load a suspend it deletes it.

It's generally more common to leave the saves on disk (and autosave periodically) but erase the saves when you die - it's still permadeath, but you don't lose your entire character if the game crashes or there's a power outage or something. Nethack, for example, autosaves every time you change floors.

I have seen a few (mostly console) games that let you save-and-exit at will but delete the save as soon as you load it, though.

dvorak posted:

Thanks for the video, checking it out now.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
It's 4.18am and I've been losing for hours. 13 games played, 0 Victories. This game is awesome.

I have managed to unlock the drone ship but missiles keep kicking my rear end in it. Also, I'm terrible at taking risks. Save everyone, investigate everything, don't let those dirty slavers escape...

ToxicFrog posted:

What? "Death is permanent" does not mean "it is impossible to save", as demonstrated by every single roguelike.

Yeah, the "save game problem" was solved over a decade ago, practically every major roguelike gives you a "save and exit" option.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I am now pretty unhappy with these developers.

https://getsatisfaction.com/ftlgame/topics/steam_cloud_save_game_sync

this is flat out retarded.

Without the ability to have saves, then we can never have longer games, I want to see an exploration mod, that removes the retarded rebel wave that is constantly pushing you forward.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

" posted:

Then there are "temporary saves" where you can save the current playthrough on quit, and on reload it loads the save and deletes it. We really don't even want to put this type of saving in.

What the gently caress. Why. Why would you do that? Are you stupid? Do you want to be a pain in the rear end deliberately? I have a life, sometimes I need to do things that'll interrupt my game!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

E: ^^^ What the gently caress, what is this, are these people damaged in the head

I mean this looks like a nice game they've developed but what the gently caress

I don't want to have to run the game in a VM just to have the ability to put the game on hold and go do something else or continue playing after a power outage.

Xik posted:

Yeah, the "save game problem" was solved over a decade ago, practically every major roguelike gives you a "save and exit" option.

For that matter, in most roguelikes, even permadeath is an option. Nethack has (and expects you to use) Explore Mode, in which you cannot die but your score isn't recorded. ToME4 has independent difficulty and permadeath settings (the latter of which includes "infinite respawns", "limited respawns, earn more by leveling up" and "one life only"). Dungeons of Dredmor has a "permadeath" toggle independent of the difficulty setting, as does Caves of Qud.

The only roguelikes I can recall playing recently that had mandatory permadeath are DoomRL and Transcendence.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
No temporary saves is pretty dumb. Hopefully if people make enough noise they'll fix that.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, but it is a 15-45 minute roguelike. No one ever complains binding of isaac doesn't have a save function, and that game tends to take around an hour to play through.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They are more vocal about the flash game playing at low frame rates on good computers. It isn't even a RL, but its marketed that way.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Actually, people did complain about a lack of a save in Issac. Some games can be long. It's certainly out of the coffee break area.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

pw pw pw posted:

Yeah, but it is a 15-45 minute roguelike. No one ever complains binding of isaac doesn't have a save function, and that game tends to take around an hour to play through.

They do, actually, although in my experience most people are too busy complaining about the terrible performance and lack of gamepad support to get around to complaining about the lack of saves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Not having a temp save option is really stupid. That being said I'll still probably try this game once it comes out. Kind of sad I didn't find out about it until after the demo option, it seems like the kind of game I'd enjoy.

• Locked thread