Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
New Update!

quote:

Changelog v. 0.12.6.6

Features:
-Two more dynamic music tracks from Mr. Ben Prunty!
-New Slug sectors and events
-New unlockable player ship
-Crewmember skill popout when hovering the mouse of their portrait
-These weapons/drones will now be available to the player, though RARE:
-Glaive Beam (incredibly powerful beam weapon)
-Bio-beam (beam that focuses on killing crew)
-Anti-Ship Drone Mk II
-Boarder Drone

Tuning:
-Cloaking: +60% to base evasion while cloaked, no longer free 100% dodge
-Crew skills now have two stages of mastery
-Events warn the player if buying a crewmember will make them over capacity
-New crewmember is clearly marked when being forced to dismiss crew
-AI should no longer send Engi/Zoltans as boarding parties unless no one else is available
-Zoltans have slightly more health
-AI will give more priority to O2 system repairs when low on oxygen.
-The Boss has been tuned with slightly different timings, strengths, etc.
-Close button on Sector Screen
-Better rewards for capturing a slaver ship alive
-More blue choices for Long-Ranged Sensors
-Lowered enemy missile counts
-Gave mantis some engi crew
-Breach missile cooldown increased
-Tweaked skill leveling requirements

Bug Fixes:
-Crash Fix: Switching out weapons after combat could still cause crashes
-Crash Fix: Teleporting back from the boss could sometimes result in a crash
-Crash Fix: Extremely rare boarding movement based crash
-Possible fix to some rendering / flickering issues
-Boss won't run away at 4 health anymore
-Drones should properly heal in the drone room if damaged
-Anti-Personnel drone will not 'lock onto' full rooms and stay stuck... and he won't move when not powered
-Blast doors were not functioning correctly, their initial health was still too low
-Boss spawning has been fixed, it will always start in the proper position
-Fixed: Super shields (on the Boss) would not block beams if shields were down
-Waiting when out of fuel now functions in the final sector
-Fixed: Doors would sometimes get stuck and stay open when drones deactivated
-Fixed: Teleporter would cease functioning if enemy ship was destroyed (or escaped) mid-teleport
-Fixed: Teleporter command would be removed by weapon activation
-Crew Roster will correctly clear if you die while crew on boarding the enemy
-Survivor/Madman will always be a male
-Door art will reflect the correct level of doors
-Text line length reduced to keep text in the event box
-Smaller cap on shortened crew names to keep them in their boxes
-The Osprey's engine animation works
-Boss Drones will power down after boss destruction (instead of continuing to fight)
-Fixed: Crew skill bars in stores could be infinitely long
-Fixed: Double close required when dismissing excess cremembers
-Fixed: Tutorial UI overlaps and Tutorial freeze state if you kill all the crew of the pirate
-More event typos, etc.

So Cloaking got a pretty serious nerf, it only gives 60% evasion instead of 100% like it does now. Cool to see another ship and weapons/drones added, those crew popups should also be good. I'm curious to see what changes were made to the boss....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The cloaking change means stuff doesn't auto-miss when you cloak as the shot is splitseconds from hitting. It provides 100% protection before the enemy shoots (they can't target you), +60% evasion to shots just fired and no protection whatsoever if the shots are already past the miss calculation border (the borders of the shield bubble).

On another note: The Mark 2 Antiship Drone is very nice when combined with another offensive drone and cloak.

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008
Pretty reasonable changes, I'll be interested to see how it plays this weekend. Also they fixed one of the bugs I submitted, about the droids locking onto someone in a full room, etc.

Has anyone submitted any feature requests or suggestions? I paw through the beta board every now and then, and thankfully, most of the things I've seen there have been pretty reasonable and well-thought out. Not too many crazy demands for an "I win" button or anything.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Jinkeez posted:

I paw through the beta board every now and then, and thankfully, most of the things I've seen there have been pretty reasonable and well-thought out. Not too many crazy demands for an "I win" button or anything.

The "get satisfaction" page is a better indication because that is where beta testers were told to report bugs/features. There are quite a few terrible ideas in there.

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008

Xik posted:

The "get satisfaction" page is a better indication because that is where beta testers were told to report bugs/features. There are quite a few terrible ideas in there.

Sorry, that's actually what board I was referring to. Usually when I'm killing time at work, I'll browse through a few pages on my phone. I can't remember reading very many and thinking they were totally horrible, though.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.
Hoooooly poo poo, the Halberd beam is insane. 2 damage PER ROOM that you can cut through. One missile to knock out shields, hold the beam until the shields are definitely down, then boom - you can knock out three systems and start fires. Insane. It was the first time I've been given the encounter blue option "threaten with your advanced weapons".

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah that's not even the new beam. The new one punches through multiple shield layers. (Halberd goes through 1 layer)

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I just want them to release the game. :( I would have thrown down money if I had known it was happening while it was happening.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

pw pw pw posted:

I just want them to release the game. :( I would have thrown down money if I had known it was happening while it was happening.

Honestly, it seems so complete I keep forgetting it's a 'beta'.

DeltaOmega
Oct 22, 2007
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE READ THE STUFF ON THE RIGHT!!!

ted_himself posted:

Hoooooly poo poo, the Halberd beam is insane. 2 damage PER ROOM that you can cut through. One missile to knock out shields, hold the beam until the shields are definitely down, then boom - you can knock out three systems and start fires. Insane. It was the first time I've been given the encounter blue option "threaten with your advanced weapons".

Try the glaive, it goes through 2 shields. Now if I only had 2 of these with weapon pre-ignitor.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Fifteen games and my best is still only Sector 5 and about 1800 points.

I think I need to choose my battles better and know when to turtle up and wait for the FTL drive to spool up. :(

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.
The hardest thing (I've never got to the end boss so maybe he's worse) is facing missiles. Once you're down to about half hull, guaranteed you'll run into some 3-shield pirate with breach missiles and a fire beam. Sometimes the opening salvo goes

Me: * Powering up weapons...
Him: * Fires before me, sets three fires and knocks out my weapons with a missile
Me: Welp.

Seriously, other than getting defense drones which costs so much when you're not playing the Engi ship, or knocking out his weapons as quick as you can, there's really not much you can do, is there? Is the %dodge you get from your engines worth getting, and can you dodge ANY shot, or does a missiles hit or miss chance nothing to do with you?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah that's not even the new beam. The new one punches through multiple shield layers. (Halberd goes through 1 layer)

Whoa, I had no idea beam weapons went through shields! I thought shields just stopped them dead. Do they pop the shield or just go through without bringing it down?

ted_himself posted:

The hardest thing (I've never got to the end boss so maybe he's worse) is facing missiles. Once you're down to about half hull, guaranteed you'll run into some 3-shield pirate with breach missiles and a fire beam. Sometimes the opening salvo goes

Me: * Powering up weapons...
Him: * Fires before me, sets three fires and knocks out my weapons with a missile
Me: Welp.

Seriously, other than getting defense drones which costs so much when you're not playing the Engi ship, or knocking out his weapons as quick as you can, there's really not much you can do, is there? Is the %dodge you get from your engines worth getting, and can you dodge ANY shot, or does a missiles hit or miss chance nothing to do with you?

You used to be able to cloak but now that probably doesn't work as well anymore. You can definitely dodge missiles so upgrading engines might actually be worthwhile with the cloak nerf.

Tagichatn fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 23, 2012

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Tagichatn posted:

Whoa, I had no idea beam weapons went through shields! I thought shields just stopped them dead. Do they pop the shield or just go through without bringing it down?

You used to be able to cloak but now that probably doesn't work as well anymore. You can definitely dodge missiles so upgrading engines might actually be worthwhile with the cloak nerf.

You can still cloak, the trick with the cloak is that a shot fired before you cloak has "only" a +60% miss chance, but a shot fired after you cloak will always miss. If you have a good idea when the missile is going to fire, cloak a bit ahead of time.

Also I think upgrading engines got a bit better, I'm pretty sure when my pilot leveled, my evasion went up. The only thing can enemy can do against your evasion is to damage your engines or cockpit. I always try to have my engines around 4 or 5 by the end.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Tagichatn posted:

They just go through - and get -1 damage for every shield. So the 1-damage beams get stopped by 1 layer, etc.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Triple-Kan posted:

You can still cloak, the trick with the cloak is that a shot fired before you cloak has "only" a +60% miss chance, but a shot fired after you cloak will always miss. If you have a good idea when the missile is going to fire, cloak a bit ahead of time.

One of those sentences is backwards. I think it's the first one.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

ToxicFrog posted:

One of those sentences is backwards. I think it's the first one.

Nah, sentence is fine. The error is in "but a shot fired after you cloak will always miss" because that situation should never happen. Weapons don't recharge with a cloaked enemy and even if they already are you can't target a cloaked ship. A simpler way to think is just "you get a 60% evasion bonus on all incoming fire", because no situation should ever arise where you are already cloaked and an enemy fires.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
This latest patch introduced a ship that is kind of a bastard to get.
The quest starts in the slug home nebula. It begins when you get a slug ship to surrender to you in the home nebula, ask for information instead of the weapon, and it will give you the location of the cruiser. Once at the location, use the blue option to cloak and get closer, then use the long range scanner blue option to detect the ship. Then combat begins, with the enemy trying to warp off, if he does, you don't get the ship. I had two Pegasus shots aimed at the engine, but they both missed, and it warped out. Still trying to get it.

The hardest part of the whole thing is that you pretty much have to use the stealth ship because it comes standard with the scanners and cloak, and Jesus Christ is that thing a lemon compared to the osprey. I have trouble even getting to the second sector in it.

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003
Did they increase the difficulty recently? I can't seem to get anywhere near as far as I used to.

DeltaOmega
Oct 22, 2007
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE READ THE STUFF ON THE RIGHT!!!

Xik posted:

A simpler way to think is just "you get a 60% evasion bonus on all incoming fire", because no situation should ever arise where you are already cloaked and an enemy fires.
Third stage boss would like to have a word with you.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

DeltaOmega posted:

Try the glaive, it goes through 2 shields. Now if I only had 2 of these with weapon pre-ignitor.
I just found one of these in the first sector. :stare:

This is going to be a fun playthrough.

Edit: I was right http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/576707853035981634/B2EF446417AE3C074E959E89D892688340D24426/
EDIT2: Final score, 3800, died on the final form of the boss :smith:

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 24, 2012

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
With a couple of engine upgrades and a crewmember manning the engines and helm, you can get a 35% evade rate pretty easily (And a 40 something % max). Combine that with a cloak and you are for all intents and purposes impossible to hit.

As for the cloaking ship, I've found it does very well with a transporter. Tranport crew onto the enemy ship, cloak as soon as they fire to dodge their shots and hopefully you will have won by the time the enemy can get a second volley in after you decloak.

Bet
Mar 10, 2003

illegitimate bastard child

pw pw pw posted:

Yeah this is painful. Feels like I took an arrow to the knee having to sit out of this beta.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It will be worth the wait when they hopefully add a save feature.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

DeltaOmega posted:

Third stage boss would like to have a word with you.

Ah yes, probably the same with the second stage drone superweapon. My mistake, in my defense the boss has mechanics of it's own which are not in the rest of the game (the third form "super" shield).

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Man, the recent patch feels to have really bumped up the difficulty. I was getting to Sector 6 before and now I'm having trouble getting out of 2/3.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

I've actually found that sometimes you just hit a wall with a succession of games offering little chance of survival.

Games where it's going to go well

Sector 1 and 2 offer continuous fights against enemies with beam weapons and a laser, but no missiles. You stumble across random weapons floating in space, and leave sector 2 with around 5 crew because you find 2 slavers and a dude stranded on a planet, and the three dudes are 2 x Engi and 1 x Rock Dude, you have upgraded shields, engines, weaponry and sensors and are ready to take on the Universe.

Games where it's going poorly

Sector 1 and 2 are a continual grind of missile firing enemies who eat into your scrap because you need to spend so much on repairs. If you find a planet, the lone survivor is insane and kills one of your existing crew. You are halfway to upgrading your shields but cannot afford the power bars just yet. You found a weapon, but it's just a rubbish laser. You leave Sector 2 with 2 crew, no weapons, 5 fuel and you're hoping to bump into a shop, but you run out of fuel halfway across the sector and have to launch the distress beacon. You die with mass fires.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

ted_himself posted:

If you find a planet, the lone survivor is insane and kills one of your existing crew.

If you have a slug crew member or level 2 medbay, you can avoid the negative outcomes of this encounter.

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003
Alright, what do I do in this situation? Breach in the medbay, 3 guys with <10 health.

EDIT: Correction, 2 guys with <10 health, I just lost one because it auto-path took him through the medbay.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
You should fix the door room so that you can seal the door to the medbay, so that they won't path through it anymore.

Then, try to find more crew members or a shop with repair drones.

e: actually, what if you opened all the doors to the medbay? Would that put air in faster than the breach can suck it out?

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003

Dr. Stab posted:

You should fix the door room so that you can seal the door to the medbay, so that they won't path through it anymore.

Then, try to find more crew members or a shop with repair drones.

e: actually, what if you opened all the doors to the medbay? Would that put air in faster than the breach can suck it out?

I tried that, and it stays the same in the medbay and just lowers the connected rooms unfortunately. I lost. This was a very strange game, I got 3 weapons given to me in Sector 1 and my captain and FTL engineer leveled very quickly.

EDIT: I wonder if I could have upgraded my oxygen unit to increase the recharge rate which might bring the O2 readings in the medbay high enough to survive.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

nemotrm posted:

Alright, what do I do in this situation? Breach in the medbay, 3 guys with <10 health.

• Keep going until you get a new crew member to fix it.
  • Keep going until you can afford/find a repair drone.
  • Die trying to do one of the above.

e:fb

ee: I've never tried with max O2 regen, but I think a room with a tear in the hull like that will never regen O2 until it's fixed.

FYI: The orange border around a room means that it has insufficient O2 to support crew.

Oh, and to answer the question about opening doors to pump O2 into it: it won't work. O2 can't enter a room from another, it has a set rate based on your O2 level/power and you can think of it has coming from the "center of the room and going out". Each individual room has it's own O2 supply and will regen unless it is venting (via torn hull or through open door). If you opened a door it will simply vent that other room, not double the O2 regen.

Xik fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 24, 2012

nemotrm
Dec 5, 2003

Xik posted:

• Keep going until you get a new crew member to fix it.
  • Keep going until you can afford/find a repair drone.
  • Die trying to do one of the above.

e:fb

ee: I've never tried with max O2 regen, but I think a room with a tear in the hull like that will never regen O2 until it's fixed.

FYI: The orange border around a room means that it has insufficient O2 to support crew.

Oh, and to answer the question about opening doors to pump O2 into it: it won't work. O2 can't enter a room from another, it has a set rate based on your O2 level/power and you can think of it has coming from the "center of the room and going out". Each individual room has it's own O2 supply and will regen unless it is venting (via torn hull or through open door). If you opened a door it will simply vent that other room, not double the O2 regen.

Thanks of the orange border hint, I never noticed that before.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Reading this thread, I can't help but wish I had chipped more into the kickstarter. Can't wait for release.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I recently unlocked the stealth ship and playing this thing is "hard mode". You start with no shield which leads to hull damage being a major and constant drain on scrap. The furthest I've got with it was the fifth or sixth sector I think and that was mostly being a coward the entire time, avoiding fights whenever possible, using sensors to choose jumps more wisely, taking surrenders because it's less hull damage etc etc. All of this ultimately means significantly less scrap then a full on combat "be an aggressive rear end in a top hat run" but is actually pretty fun.

I really feel like the game desperately needs different win conditions though. I mean, why isn't this a valid play-style? They give you the ship which seems to force you into this type of play but the game doesn't really cater for it because there is no escaping combat with a difficult boss at the end. At the end of the day there is only one way to play the game if you actually want to win and being a pansy like this isn't it.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.
I am trying to beat the game with that ship right now and the best tactic I have found is to save 150 scrap ASAP so you can get a shield installed.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

ShankyMcStabber posted:

I am trying to beat the game with that ship right now and the best tactic I have found is to save 150 scrap ASAP so you can get a shield installed.

Yeah of course. It's the exact same thing with any other ship, instead with them it's saving 150 for a cloak... Which is kind of my point, you then get a ship which is exactly the same with the same play-style. What's the point of having these different ships and play-style possibilities when the progress in the game is like this cone of genericness. You have to follow "the plan" and play it "the right way" unless you are happy to just get to sector 8 and quit, without facing the boss.

Or maybe I'm just trying to squeeze too much playtime out of this (great) little indie game. Steam says I've put 30 hours into it, I guess I should be happy with that. I just feel with a couple of alternative endings you could get a bunch more re-playability out of it.

ShankyMcStabber
Mar 9, 2012

I spend way too much money on computer parts.
You are right to some degree. The difference is in the ship layout, what armaments you can fit (3 weapons + 2 drones max) and the hull mod it comes with.

Even with rushing for shields it does create a different feel.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Deus Ex: Human Revolution syndrome. Encourage multiple play style to only poo poo heavily on the non-combat oriented in boss battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

It's early days. They need to work something in like you can ambush with the cloak - like having a free pre-igniter or something like that.

• Locked thread