Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How exited are you now?
This poll is closed.
Really excited 76 46.34%
Kind of excited 16 9.76%
Not really excited 6 3.66%
My team sucks, why bother 6 3.66%
My team sucks, this is going to rule 51 31.10%
Which teams will be good, I need to know who to root for 9 5.49%
Total: 164 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Sports Illustrated on twitter saying that playoffs have officially expanded to 10 teams, but the link to their article is giving me a 404 error. :confused:

E: It appears that a number of news sites are publishing placeholders so as not to get scooped:

Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

URL Weaver posted:

I think the Orioles will be worse due to their competition!

Is there some sort of cute Orioles drinking game I can play to make it through the games, or is the game just tilt the bottle into your mouth at the top of the first and bring it back down when you can't feel feelings

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

It's like a monolith, except it triggers the ability to hit dingers and the next stage of slugging evolution

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Mr.Showtime posted:

How is Halladay at 49% he needs 112 and is in his age 35 season.

I love the dude but

Well, he only needs 16 wins per season if he plays until he's 42. That's possible without steroids, right? :shepface:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

My school produced Brandon Inge.

Sorry.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Brian Roberts is still recovering, seems to be doing well though.

Maybe he'll come back this season. :unsmith:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

LtTennisBall posted:

When did he get the concussion? I don't think I was paying attention to baseball all that much when he did, but at this point he's like the one person I can remember from the 2000's (beyond like, Melvin Mora) and it'd be cool to see him play while I actually care.

I'm pretty sure it was last May.

davecrazy posted:

memento mori

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rand alPaul posted:

I hope the Dinger machine has environmental sound effects like in the beginning of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland. You know, some birds and assorted jungle sounds.

I'm told that it groans very loudly and whirrs as though some great death machine were coming to deliver us from the mortal plane

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I recognized a Suzanne Vega song, what does this mean

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

The word "dinger" is starting to get passe. Let's turn to Wikipedia to find out what else kids are calling the longball:

The Dinger Machine is now the Dong Device.

How could you look at that device and not call it the Jonrón Machine?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

There was a Pirates/Braves game on last year that you should watch, unless you have a strong aversion to small children with no rhythm or extra innings.

July 7, 2011

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Jagfire posted:

You should somehow incorporate the Dinger Machine into this .gif. :allears:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

A Twilight Zone-esque scenario as you have the Marvelous Dinger Machine but no one to Dinger it.

There was finally time (to mash taters)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

You baseball folk are something else. :allears:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

RoleModel posted:

And the dinger machine keeps on going. Because does it know to do anything else?

So whenever someone edits the dinger machine GIF in, make sure to put a B/W filter over it for authenticity.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Gonz posted:

Bryce Harper will miss the entire season after taking a 97 mph fastball....to the teeth.

Jesus Christ. :ohdear:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Jagfire posted:

Definitely one of those that looks a lot worse than it is. Never would've pegged Cabrera for a bleeder.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

You know, I heard about Dontrelle Williams and I thought, "How sad, some team with a weak pitching rotation should really bring him in and see if he has anything left in the tank."

I didn't mean my team. :argh:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

nnnAdam posted:

Dolphins and Orioles huh? Good lord you've made some bad choices.

It's been a never-ending parade of poor managerial decisions and underwhelming play since the late 90's

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Liberty Valance posted:

Why is being part of a bland, inoffensive, and almost non-exsistant fanbase cause for scorn?

Because championships built on a legacy of tanking and flopping

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Deathlove posted:

This has Josh Gibson being mortal. This offense will not stand.

.350/.401/.624 for an entire career

what the what

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

The Born Approx. posted:

I GIS'd Joba's injury and JFC "open ankle dislocation" is basically a euphemism for "your foot almost came off"

oh god it's like the chest bursters from alien except its the ankle

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Gonz posted:

A Dinger Machine nightlight would also sell like hotcakes. Goddamnit, Marlin's marketing department, DO IT ALREADY!

And instead of a geyser, it can spray that Glade stuff at timed intervals.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The main thought that crossed my mind was "jesus christ i hope that motorcyclist ends up OK"

He's pretty old and had an SUV run over his head, he's deadder than Matt Bush's career

$1 million dollar bail, Jesus Christ, how do you gently caress up so badly :doh:

E: Question, though. Now that he's almost certainly killed someone, does this anecdote

quote:

Before spring training in 2009, he got drunk, drove to a nearby high school in San Diego, assaulted two students, yelled “I’m Matt [bleeping] Bush” and hit a curb driving away before he was arrested.

become unfunny?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

toadee posted:

Also

Matt Bush needs to hire that legal team right away, because at first glance, this looks pretty loving bad for him

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Swagger Dagger posted:

Can you do mlb.tv on an apple tv?

As far as media goes an xbox is just going to duplicate the functionality of the apple tv hulu and netflix and whatever else overlaps between the two while making it easier to stream your own media from a computer.

If that's worth a couple hundred bucks to you, go for it.

Oh, it plays games too

Really, though, if you're getting a console for baseball purposes, go PS3. Also has MLB.tv if I'm not mistaken and also :h: The Show :h:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

^ It's all about graphics and RTTS and hitting dingers off of Mariano Rivera, anything else is just gravy :pcgaming:

Mornacale posted:

So obvious it was already made.

Also, my favorite thing in those videos so far is Barrold trolling the first pitcher for throwing him outside.

I love how Barry only starts swinging when he's ahead of the pitch count.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

nnnAdam posted:

One day, I hope a game like The Show has it so there's a chance your RTTS player just never gets good. You get called up and down between AA-AAA thinking maybe one day you'll figure out the game and make it to the bigs but you never will and the game has already determined it. Questions such as "What the gently caress my guy was throwing 92 in May now he can barely touch 89?" or the classic "I can hit the pitches in the loving mini-game why not now are you kidding me?" will dominate your starts. If you're lucky you'll eventually string together some good AA games get called up and maybe sneak onto an all-star team. Eventually you get called up mid-season to the bigs because of injuries, and with no good stuff because you don't get lots of training points pitching to contact in AAA, get shelled over and over. It's back to the minors or a trade from there and your character never really recovers. Your skills dwindle faster and finally you realize it's time to call it a career.

I want this game.

I like this idea. You could be a star outfielder who just can't make solid contact in the majors, get assigned to Birmingham, and mash taters in the minors as you get drunk on the weekends and tell people how Guroda was pitching garbage but the umps kept calling them strikes.

And then maybe your wife could leave you, and you decide whether or not to buy a Porche or to sit in your garage with the car on

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Incitatus posted:

I just want the game because apparently baseball games are hard to find in Sweden and Amazon won't ship video games internationally.

You'd actually probably have better luck in SA Mart. People sell sports games there all the time, iirc

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'd buy that game only if I could then make a transition into becoming a grizzled baseball lifer and the end-stage eventually involved making it to the majors as a first base coach with crucial first base coaching quicktime events.

SHOUT "BACK" ON THE PICK OFF ATTEMPT!!!

X Y A X LB LB

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

So you're an ex-catcher who has to convert to first base in the minors because your knees can't take the beating anymore and your knuckleball pitcher hung you out to dry in your last major league start, but after a failed triple A stint, you end up on Baseball Tonight and have to argue against statistics that you cannot even begin to understand

Do we make this a series of QTEs or do we make it into a shooting based minigame where you literally play as a spaceship trying to shoot down the concept of ERA+

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

davecrazy posted:

I was tempted for years, it's actually not a bad value.

My football tickets cost about as much as a better upper level baseball package, but you know, 81 dates vs 10.

If I lived on Long Island instead of in New Jersey I'd probably do it. But now the tolls and traffic across two rivers and the heart of lower Manhattan make it prohibitive.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

True, but how many people outside of California really know that he owns a shitload of movie theaters?

Anyone who watched The Proud Family.
:goonsay:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this poo poo is really annoying, there are a lot of jobs that one could have where you could afford seasons without too much issue

:saddowns: But he also has Giants season tickets and I want to have season tickets to multiple sports teams

I just want to get paaaaaaaid

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

will_colorado posted:

"Your dad really likes the Rockies"

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I am unable to process the fact that a 49 year old who can't break 80 MPH is the #2 pitcher of a team.

I am just happy that it is not my team on the end of this deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

theacox posted:

If there is a poll for how excited we are in the week 1 N/V, it should obviously include a selection for: "My team is a tire fire. We're a lock for the playoffs."

It is the tire that burns the most consistently over 162 games that burns the brightest