Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How exited are you now?
This poll is closed.
Really excited 76 46.34%
Kind of excited 16 9.76%
Not really excited 6 3.66%
My team sucks, why bother 6 3.66%
My team sucks, this is going to rule 51 31.10%
Which teams will be good, I need to know who to root for 9 5.49%
Total: 164 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

leokitty posted:

The Astros are much worse than any other team in MLB anyway

I think the Orioles will be worse due to their competition!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Haha some blog is charting what would have to happen for each MLB team to win the WS and for the Orioles, Matt Wieters has to turn into Mike Piazza, Hardy into Cal Ripken from the 80s, Markakis and Jones into .875 OPS players with great defense, Mark Reynolds has to go back to 1B and hit 35 HR, Britton and Matusz combine for 400 innings of 3.40 ERA ball, AND the Orioles manage to go 44-12 in one run games

Then it predicts them all taking significant steps backwards the next season and being below .500

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Abel Wingnut posted:

What would it take for the Astros to win the Series?

No idea. The blog is The Outside Corner, but their mobile interface is kind of poo poo so I can't search effectively; they've done the entire AL East/Central and NL West, so I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

last i checked you needed approx 25 base ball players to make a team

Don't get me wrong, it's a fair signing and it's definitely a positive indicator for the state of the team but if I were a buccos fan I wouldn't stop being pessimistic because of this. Then again, I'm a New Englander so my default state is pessimism.

Which is amazing, because given the last five years or so there is literally, absolutely and positively no reason for any New England sports fan of any professional team to do anything but just yell CHAMPIONSHIP CHAMPIONSHIP CHAMPIONSHIP like some sort of demented brony ytmnd

Though yes this is no reason for Pittsburgh fans to get optimistic and thank god because I don't need the Orioles taking over that team's consecutive losing season streak

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Scoobi posted:

So uh hey, who's yer friend there? :riker:

That sounds awesome, but I wish they'd mic up the players without them knowing.

Of course YOU would be all for clandestine, unauthorized and unwanted surveillance at the ballpark

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Moe_Rahn posted:

i am a loving weirdo when it comes to the DH because in video games and poo poo i like to play as AL teams because i want to just mash taters all the time and more DH means more taters, but in real life i have some strange primordial revulsion towards it for reasons that are not entirely clear to me, despite my dingerlove

the sad & baleful outcome of Incorrect Thinking

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
The only way the dinger machine could be cooler is if in like Chicago or w/e they had a version that loudly groans and screeches as it rises, accompanied by majestic/doomy multi-part organ music

Dracula Baseball

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Gonz posted:

Please, I beg of you. Go before a judge, drop your first name, and have your surname legally changed to "Machine".

EDIT: If you're going to make a dinger machine coat of arms or family crest, you'll need a latin phrase of some kind for it. I'm thinking "et potest tangere omnes" (You can touch them all!), "domum currit aeternum" (Home runs forever) or "quis posuit mensam" (You can put it on the board).

I'd just go with "Deus vult."

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

euphronius posted:

Or pinch hitting opportunities for star players like Greg Dobbs or Wes something.

Helms, I do believe

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
If you're going to translate "home run" into Latin you should probably be working backward off "quadrangular" anyway

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Abel Wingnut posted:

Am I the only Cubs fan that hates Zambrano?

Like, gently caress him. Seriously, gently caress him.

I'm gonna safely say the answer to this one is No

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Give it six to eight weeks and I think there will be more than enough footage

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Apparently Dontrelle Willis was just released. Come on Orioles, you need more fringey pitcher help

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i am assuming that this is a joke post because the "stadium as anchor for development" thing is basically not a true thing

considering the post is saluting gentrification and associated dogwhistle racism, yes, I think you're on to something

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Having been to the Verizon Center, I can believe that about it

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Brian Matusz is having a not-disastrous spring, and struck out 6 in 4 IP against the Tigers yesterday. Apparently his velocity's there, too.

BALL'S IN YOUR COURT, PINEDA.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
As long as Mike Mussina stays safely in his grave I can't bring myself to care too much

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Mandoira posted:

Not to sound stupid but that's a shop right?

Also I thought the KBA was pissed off enough that it was going to ban all of mlb not just Baltimore.

The original article was mistranslated/reported/whatever, they straight up gave Baltimore the death penalty and then warned MLB that any team that followed in their footsteps would receive the same treatment; they didn't ban them off the bat

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

tadashi posted:

Jerry DiPoto was on Clubhouse Confidential yesterday from the SABRmetrics conference. It was good to hear him pretty much assure Brian Kenney that Mike Trout is going to be an everyday outfielder before long and that he will not be platooning at the major league level. He barley mentioned Wells or Abreu except to say that Wells would be in the outfield mix to start the season.

Seeing DiPoto not try to defend Wells or Abreu or even say anything good about them at all definitely improves his stock as a GM to me. There is nothing defensible about Wells and Abreu is a DH who can't hit home runs. Or get on base a lot anymore. I know DiPoto is a big analytics guy, but even good GMs will still often try talk about how some useless player is going to contribute.

On the other hand, gently caress the Angels.

Just a thought I had the other day... Has anyone from the Twins front office ever brought up JJ Hardy's health as a reason to trade him? I can kind of understand if they thought it was going to be a big issue going forward since his games played went 146-115-101 from 2008-2010. I could sleep a little easier if this was true.

JJ Hardy was traded because he didn't steal enough bases, hit enough singles, or go first to home. Both he and the Twins front office have confirmed this on multiple occasions, and his (lack of a) relationship with Ron Gardenhire was the driving force between him being dealt to Baltimore for two AAA relievers.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

"AN ERA OVER 5 YOU SAY???" -- Dan Duquette into cellphone in crowded elevator, 2012

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

awkwaaaarrrdddd

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

suuuper awkward

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
That tweet also led someone who is tangentially involved in the Orioles beat to say that he thinks Tommy Hunter is getting the Opening Day start because Buck loves him (TEXXAASSSS)

Hunter has not thrown a pitch in an MLB ST game this spring; he's pitched in some games in minor league camp and thrown some side sessions

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

uh...he's the 434th best baseballer in the US, possibly the world. Do you know how hard it is to be that good at baseballing?

Not only am I aware of this, I've actually used this argument many times and only been somewhat trolling!

edit: this is coming from someone who almost walked on to a Div 1A college team, making me...carry the two...the 95,684,344th best baseball player in the world or so

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

FairGame posted:

As someone who watches John Lannan pitch regularly I do not understand why he is a desirable commodity. He would be absolutely murdered in the AL East. Like...Brian Matusz bad.

I think you mean Brian "16:1 K:BB in 2012" Matusz

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Orgophlax posted:

Isn't the Cards' medical staff almost as inept as the Mets'?

As someone who constantly voices this and just as constantly is corrected on it, apparently the Mets medical staff is world-class top-notch awesome. It's the training staff that's hideous, Civil-War-chirurgeon levels of bad. I think the Cards situation is somewhat reversed.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

AhhYes posted:

Mike Morse apparently got PRP treatment on his strained lat, and suddenly Davey Johnson says he's not sure if Morse will be ready for opening day.

I'm still a baseball neophyte, so how bad of a baseball injury is a lat strain?

In the grand scheme of things, not that big of a deal. Lats are pretty big muscles and I don't think straining them generally turns into a nagging injury like groin/oblique stuff can. It'll keep him on the sideline for awhile though

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Ahahahaha even besides the roster decisions, lmao at intentionally moving Denard Span out of CF

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I kind of want to see if I can come up with an Orioles lineup that's that messed up--oh wai

RF Endy Chavez
SS JJ Hardy
CF Adam Jones
3B Mark Reynolds
C Matt Wieters
1B Wilson Betemit
DH Nick Markakis
2B Ryan Flanagan
LF Robert Andino

Yes, this could happen, possibly as a Normal Thing

If the Orioles trade Reynolds put Davis there instead

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I'm not even going to get into how infuriating Endy Chavez's .500/.548/.643 line is

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
If you really want to troll the Twins offense, or any offense in general, find the PECOTA projections for next year. BP is not particularly high on league offense rebounding next season

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

jeffersonlives posted:

You are a terrible person.

Chavez for Loewen straight up

edit: Ryan Flaherty is in right field today. I think he's played every position but centerfield and catcher so far in camp, it's almost unthinkable he doesn't make the 25-man given he's a Rule V guy

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I finally realized what Brian Matusz reminds me of this spring: playing a guy in MLB The Show RTTS mode when the game is throwing a tantrum and doing things like deciding Today, You Will Not Get Anyone Out every three starts, or that your pitcher cannot locate his breaking pitches no matter how perfectly they're thrown

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Scoobi posted:

So Moorad steps down from position, and Heyman says Reinsdorf led the opposition to it? Why am I not surprised that name keeps popping up in bad situations?

Considering the Padres were the only team not to back Selig's extension and Reinsdorf's been at or near the helm of every major (terrible) thing that MLB has done recently, I imagine it isn't too difficult to read between the lines.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Benne posted:

Okay, BA has to be trolling M's fans. Here's their Top 10 organizational rankings:

1. Texas Rangers
2. Kansas City Royals
3. San Diego Padres
4. Arizona Diamondbacks
5. Toronto Blue Jays
6. Seattle Mariners
7. Oakland Athletics
8. Tampa Bay Rays
9. Boston Red Sox
10. St. Louis Cardinals

#6org will follow us to our graves.

That's one weirdass list

Even with their offseason trades the Padres at #3 seems high, the Mariners are too high as well (though yes, jokes), and the Cubs probably shouldn't be ahead of the Reds. But I'm still not that good with the minors, likely due to the team that I follow

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I don't pay very much attention to Tom Verducci, but when I do (like during the Jeack Morris flare-up) he seems like a really smart dude that uses his knowledge of baseball stats For Evil

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Mark Reynolds for Domonic Brown straight up yo

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Chunk posted:

It's pretty frustrating because he's one of those people that thinks being self-aware about his assholery gives him carte blanche to keep doing it.

I'm actually giving this a shot on Twitter right now and as it turns out,

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

No Safe Word posted:

oh god yes

April N/V: a sculpture made for faggots.

Please don't do this; thanks

No, I don't care how much of a joke it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

leokitty posted:

Stallworth worked out some kind of agreement with the family, I thought? Restorative justice is not a bad thing.

Stallworth's case also had a few slightly mitigating circumstances if I recall correctly, including the pedestrian just stepping out in front of Stallworth's car without looking in such a way that Stallworth had very very little time to respond.