Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
How exited are you now?
This poll is closed.
Really excited 76 46.34%
Kind of excited 16 9.76%
Not really excited 6 3.66%
My team sucks, why bother 6 3.66%
My team sucks, this is going to rule 51 31.10%
Which teams will be good, I need to know who to root for 9 5.49%
Total: 164 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

factorialite posted:

poo poo, I pulled my wrist navigating to this thread.

I'll be out for a few weeks.

I tore an eyelash rolling my eyes too hard. Day to Day, but you know I'll end up on the 15-day when the bench gets short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

I agree that "rushing" is absolutely a case-by-case thing. If a dude has a sick fastball and changeup, but it turns out there are tiny changes in his delivery and you make him a starter, once people figure out how to spot the differences he'll get shelled and oops he has no 3rd pitch to rely on. He got rushed. He didn't get rushed because his pitches weren't good enough, it's because his mechanics needed refinement.

Obviously the MiLB team owners would like to have a winning team, but there is more an emphasis on learning. If a High A club throws three guys who grade out to be "starters" 2+ innings each in a game because they have stuff to work on, who cares? A lot of the time at that level something like a setup man and closer don't exist because they're all so raw that pegging them that way is detrimental.

Or what if a dude was a shortstop, but the ML team thinks he has a future as a center fielder? His bat isn't rushed, but maybe his fielding would be.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

retroactive to right now of course

Oh of course.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Rand alPaul posted:

How the gently caress do you fit into a pair of jeans with those thighs?

You worry too much!

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

xie posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urCG4A4fa6k Actual video of Dinger Machine!!!

I anticipated Dinger Machine in full majesty. I can't help but admit that I'm somewhat disappointed.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Joe Don Baker posted:

I hope MLB.TV pops up an alert every time the dinger machine goes off.

Now I wonder if the MLB equivalent to the Red Zone channel wouldn't just be great, but NECESSARY.

I'd buy that album.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

tadashi posted:

Left-handed Marlins hitters are worried that the homer-run structure might be a distraction:

If you don't like it, I suggest you get the gently caress out of Miami.

Pretend I just quoted my own post here where I wondered if Dinger Machine was too close to the batters eye especially Lefty vs Righty so I can be smug about knowing a baseball thing.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

gleep glop posted:

They would have 0 fans besides me. Though you could just out them in Waterfront park since they're basically in the Yankees farm system anyway.

If they were in the Philly metro area, I would hell of root for the Jersey A's.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Ozu posted:

Lenny Dykstra was sentenced to 3 years in prison.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...-in-prison.html

The way you used past tense I thought for a moment that Dykstra had already been sentenced 3 years but he was such a screw-up they were going to go ahead and sentence him some more.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

The_Hat posted:

Matt Holliday taking BP, with the camera at a unique angle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOd9CtH0bzc

He went the other way on every swing. I don't think it's his timing step because he always has the closed swing. Must just be hand speed.

I could never hit to the opposite field

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Elitist Bitch posted:

Who was this?

I know you! You used to be Raul Ibanez!

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

davecrazy posted:

The Dinger Machine lords over all.

Chris Coghlan says the flamingos whisper to him in the night.

But no one listens.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Seriously though I recommend watching both the Orioles/Red Sox and Yankees/Rays games on 9/28/11, or what will forever be known as The Best Night Of Baseball Ever

I hate them but they're right.

Except for the fact that it wasn't exactly an epic struggle between pitcher and batter for Carp.

gently caress swinging at everything.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is about how i see it

compromise: DH for NLE

Yes please do this right now thanks.

- The Phillies

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Harlock posted:

Someone pitch a gritty and realistic documentary about the downfall of the Orioles aided by the rampant corruption of the front office.

Call it The Wire.

The Waiver Wire

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Harlock posted:

If you guys don't follow Baseball video games, there's two really neat things to come out of MLB12:

The intro video shows just how crazy the end of last season was. I know we all remember it, but it seems totally surreal to watch it like the way it's presented.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn6hAYQh0Ws (watch the first 3 minutes of this)

Ugh I almost regret the Phillies role in that day, and also jesus christ was the Cardinals game ever boring from a non-Cardinals fan point of view.

e: apparently I am bitter about this.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

I would tend to agree with you, as a 15 second cruise to BBRef and Fangraphs shows that he had basically the same year batting in 2009 as he did in 2011. That would suggest that either he's hit his peak twice two years apart or it's a potentially sustainable level with a chance to go even higher.

How big of a difference is 9 points of True Average?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

ButtView posted:

Can you imagine the uproar from angry old people if, like, Hanley Ramirez did that?

I can imagine the uproar if Jimmy Rollins did that, because he did and there was an uproar.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Orgophlax posted:

Looking up what he looked like in his playing days, I think you're right. Odd choice.

He is a hall of famer who pitched a perfect game on Father's Day.

There are only so many guys to choose from when you're talking perfect game.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Is that like the reverse of the "if you can't name the starting lineup for Year X when the team was good you're not a REAL fan" argument? It doesn't even make sense. Also non subtle dig at not having to remember stuff anymore because The Internet right at the end.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Mammon Loves You posted:

A counterpoint to all those best shape of my life articles:

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves...ough-this-year/

Today Larry indicated he was totally just Make A Joke.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2...his-year-stuff/

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Tim Kurkjian is a little too into trivia vs actual statistics for my taste, but he's a cool guy who loves the poo poo out of baseball and he's an awesome sport for laughing at himself. It wouldn't work if he wasn't so drat enthusiastic about sample size minutiae.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Strawberry Panda posted:

Here's the new Marlins theme song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw2HtRQ2U8Y

For some reason the thing I dislike is mentioning "black" as a team color.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I traded mine to a Poster To Be Named Later

For what?

I have a burning need to instantly evaluate the value of that trade, who won and lost, and who is a horrible sucker.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Gendo posted:

I wonder where in history Yankeesfans.gif will end up next.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Senf posted:

Let them live in the new Dinger Machines.

Spent my whole life, chasing the dolphin...

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

awfulstack posted:

Amaro just updated this a bit. Apparently his left knee is now a bigger issue than the right which had been the problem. Galvis will be starting at 2nd on opening day.

Um.

At least... middle infield defense will be pretty good?

I guess?

A .600 OPS is better than Martinez?

The pitching is going to be swell?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Orgophlax posted:

One of the Philly blogs the other day pointed out that Mike loving Missanelli of all people said they should trade Utley after the 09 season to start restocking. I hate that that fucker was right.

Yes, Mikey Miss was totally right that they should trade Chase "Tied the WS record for home runs that October" "loving" Utley in the winter following 2009.

What?

What would they have traded him for? And believe it or not, Utley is not exactly the most tradeable commodity. Far and away the best 2B after 2009, but age 31 with a $60m guaranteed contract going forward.

Teams that can absorb that: Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies. At that time, Tigers and Angels maybe? You don't start building a team around a 30 year old like that. I wouldn't, anyway.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

jeffersonlives posted:

That Cabrera play is one of the worst reactions I've seen a third baseman have to a ball in awhile. He misjudged a routine grounder by five feet vertically.

Anyone still think he isn't going to be a historically bad fielder?

It honestly looks like the ball hit right on the infield cutout and took a crazy hop. I know he hasn't played 3B in years, but he has played the field. Being fat doesn't make you blind.

But I want to believe.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Ugh, loving Cabrera. You know he's bad at defense not because the ball hit him in the face, but because he tried to field the ball to his side that was zero steps to his left.

Making me mad. Square it up, son.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

seiferguy posted:

Hey everyone, 1 week until some actual real baseball, Mariners and A's in Japan

Granted you'll have to be up at 3am PST to watch it, but... baseball!

Some people are actually awake at 6am in the course of their normal life, you know.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

leokitty posted:

It's because that's around the time you're headed to be right

I didn't say I was awake at 6am. 6:45 is plenty early. 6:30 because a cat gives no fucks.

I used to have to be at work at 6am. Horrible.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

SharkTattoos posted:

I just imagined Kevin Millar doing in-depth oWAR-dWAR breakdown of NLC shortstops.
It wasn't pleasant.

I know, the shortstops in the NL Central are pretty awful.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Nut Bunnies posted:

Well everyone said that about the Yankees last year so who knows

Something's been nagging me this spring, and I finally put my finger on it this year.

There are no good baseball teams this year and every good player is dead.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

You honestly don't even need to go back farther than one of A. Pujols' contemporaries to find a comparison that puts that to a lie.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Mornacale posted:

A-Rod gets a lot more WAR from positional adjustment though, so basically WAR is just a bad thing to look at to measure hitting. I'd say he probably has a bit of an edge in A-Rod in straight-up hitting.

True enough, Pujols has a 1.037 OPS and a 170 OPS+ while through Age 31 ARod had a .967 OPS with a 147 OPS+. I don't know if there's a way to make Fangraphs spit out cumulative wOBA, but in a vaccuum as "batter" yes Pujols is better than ARod. Even with a 70 point gap, which is huge, it's not as big as you might expect. And as shown here within 5 posts, if you're comparing Pujols to the all time history greats he isn't The Best, just one of them.

loving Rajah in your charts, ruining your story.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Thom and the Heads posted:

Buster: @Buster_ESPN @TrippingOlney
Jayson: @jaysonst

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Mornacale posted:

If you're not going to let Paul Maholm start, give him back.

The only baseball fan that wants Paul Maholm.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

On the other hand if he's a league averagish starter for 2 years that's cheap as poo poo and would be pretty tremendous trade bait. The question isn't why doesn't that make sense, the question is after almost 4 years of not pitching how do you find your way to that conclusion.

I'm not wild about the move, but it's not catastrophically bad. It's no Kyle Kendrick extension.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

con posted:

Plus our LF is small and plays well for an older slow guy so Vlad isn't a bad option defensively at all.

It does not matter how small your outfield is, this is not correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Pumpkin McPastry posted:

No?

Beyond the fact that they play 81 games elsewhere?

I love watching Vlad play, but he has no range anymore and he wasn't an amazing fielder to begin with. LF shouldn't be a serious consideration for him unfortunately.

«2 »