Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How exited are you now?
This poll is closed.
Really excited 76 46.34%
Kind of excited 16 9.76%
Not really excited 6 3.66%
My team sucks, why bother 6 3.66%
My team sucks, this is going to rule 51 31.10%
Which teams will be good, I need to know who to root for 9 5.49%
Total: 164 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Felix has lost the opening day start for the M's.

You're unlikely to guess who will take the mound instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Inside Outside posted:

There's so much empty space in left center next to the dinger machine. It's the perfect size for a second dinger machine.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Jim Pohlad vows to bring the glory of dingers to Target Field.

Now in Morneau-O-Vision!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
If U2 takes over the new Marlins stadium and sends Miami out on the road for some "home" games again, does the Dinger Machine make the trip with them?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Cartman wants to see some homers more than Casa Bonita.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Benne posted:

Remember when Bucky Jacobsen was the future at DH? That really owned.

I was too busy that month jerking off to Jeremy Reed and his OPS+ of 149 to notice.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Benne posted:

And to bring this discussion full circle, the guy who retired today pulled a squeeze bunt to win that series. Hooray for closure. :colbert:

:can: Guillen totally stepped on the plate. :can:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
For all your (Pre trade to KC) Yuni needs.

http://yuniform.wordpress.com/

7/10/09 - Never Forget.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

Hahaha, that gave me flashbacks to 2003 when I actually thought the cubs would ever win anything and was genuinely disappointed, but now I just laugh.

I was confused in 1984 as to how the Padres beat the Cubs in the playoffs. "Huh? But I thought they were going to the World Series."

By the time 2003 rolled around, Bartman just made sense. "Well, of course that jackass did that."

Note - Bartman wasn't responsible for a drat thing.
Sub note - if Hell ever freezes over and the Cubs win, they better give Ernie Banks a ring just on principle. Ummm. Or to his great-great-great-great-great grandkids.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

The Prisoner posted:

It's silly to say so after three games, but Adam Dunn has looked pretty drat good thus far. Like, much better than he has in any three-game stretch of the regular season last year.

This gives me a glimmer of hope for the White Sox this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK4QgFJ7Eik

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

kensei posted:

N: The Mariners 2012 Commercials are here!

V: This might be the high point of the 2012 season

Dustin Ackley was 9 when Burgess Meredith died. I kinda want to think he didn't have a drat clue what that commercial was about.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Moe_Rahn posted:

yeah what are the odds of a professional athlete watching "Rocky" anyways

I want to, drat it. I sure the guy has seen Rocky.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Knew I'd seen that guy before.

Poor Al Smith.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Gendo posted:

Can I humbly ask for a psd or something for this? Literally no way of topping it, but I'm too lazy to try to cut the yankee fan and gently caress you guy out frame by frame. Gonna assume you have them on their own layers.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

seiferguy posted:

I remember how excited I was for Cust to be on the Mariners. Then he stopped hitting dingers and it sucked.

The M's ended up with the Three True Dingers version instead.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I know he's the patron saint and all, but check out Rob Deer's 1996.

64 PAs. 4 dingers, 14 walks, 30 Ks.

TTO% of 75.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Shocking development. M's have released Kuo.

6 2/3 innings, 15 hits, 4 walks and 13 earned runs for an ERA of 17.55 and a WHIP of 2.85?

What the Hell, man?

(Or as lookoutlanding put it.)

"He's thrown 6⅔ innings. He's already allowed as many runs this month as he allowed between 4/25/2009 and the end of the 2010 season."

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

settes posted:

just wanted to post this here...
someone posted it on here a few years ago as a guess to what would happen in the future.

Will that re-start Roger's five year wait clock for the HOF vote?

Gonz posted:

Wouldn't think the Rangers would score so many runs using 24" bats.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

euphronius posted:

Turk Wendell

I'm not the only one that sometimes sees a players name, thinks "Forgot all about that guy" and then looks to see when the last time they played, right?

Cause I do that. And this is Turk Wendell's photo on Wikipedia.

Spam, corned beef hash, and Dinty Moore. That's Turk Wendell.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Gendo posted:

All the PEDs he ever took were sitting in a pile at his feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

will_colorado posted:

If Jamie Moyer was on the Rockies pitching staff in their opening day inaugural game against the Mets in 1993, HE WOULD HAVE BEEN THE OLDEST PITCHER ON THE STAFF THEN.

Seemed too good to be true. Might be, depending on whether you meant starting rotation or pitching staff as a whole. Moyer would have been the oldest starter, but not oldest pitcher on the staff.

Depending on the exact opening day roster, but the pitching staff included Bryn Smith, Jeff Parrett and Mark Knudson - all are older than Moyer. Smith and Parrett appeared in the 2nd and 3rd games of the year, so I assume they were there on opening day. Knudson pitched on May 6th, giving up 8 earned runs in an inning of relief. His next three appearances did lower his ERA from 72 down to 22.24, but he mysteriously never pitched in the majors again.

(Honorable mention to Gary Wayne. 12 days younger than Moyer. Last pitched 18 years ago, when Rockies likely backup catcher Wilin Rosario was five years old.)

"Yes, Baseball-reference is the one of the greatest things ever."
:goonsay: