Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I like to traveling world and take pictures of.
Yo. Currently goon-ing it up here in Tokyo for a decade and am looking to try something new. I've got a job that I can take with me wherever I go in my region (APAC) and am thinking about Taiwan.

I've got some questions that have come up before but were not directly answered so I'll ask again.

1) Housing
Any good English language sites for housing? Ideally furnished/serviced.
Also, what is the CBD area called in Taipei and would that be a good place to live? Is there an area close where most people that work in the area live?

2) Visa
While at first I would just be on a business trip so a regular entry stamp will likely do, if I do decide to stay beyond that time I will need a visa of some sorts. Can I self sponsor myself based on my employment contract/income from HQ or do I need to set up a branch/local company?

3) language school
I don't speak a word of Chinese but have managed to survive on trips to China with a pen and paper writing characters to communicate. That won't fly too long, does anyone know of a good part-time language school I could take classes at a few times a week while I'm there?

I'd probably start with a 1-month extended business trip and maybe stretch it out to 3-months if I enjoy myself. I would be going to explore business relationships and would rather not have to deal with setting up a company (in Japan we have what is called a representative office which is exactly for that purpose).

Many thanks

dtb fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

N/m, this answers all my questions about starting a branch or rep. office: http://investtaiwan.nat.gov.tw/matter/show_eng.jsp?ID=6&MID=6
Seems easy enough, provided initial exploration proves there is enough market potential to justify.
I'll be sure to drop a line once I get there again to see if anyone wants to do a goon-meet.
Thanks for the advice

dtb fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 12, 2012

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I'm loving it when I convert these prices to JPY. I think I'm going to enjoy Taiwan very much :)
Anywho, are there any holidays where business shut down for more then 3 days consecutively besides Chinese New Years? Putting together a business plan and from what I can find there seem to just be a bunch of one off holidays, which is hard to believe.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Does anyone have any experience with taking evening classes to learn Mandarin in Taipei?
A friend recommended the Taipei Language Institute (http://www.tli.com.tw/). I'm looking for something while I'm there for maybe 3 months. Right now I speak no Mandarin...

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Thx again, everyone

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Haraksha posted:

Also, I swear to god, every time I see an rear end in a top hat in empty plastic frames I want to poke their eyes out.

glad to know I'm not the only one

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

On my way to the airport to catch a flight to Taipei for a fact-finding mission for work. I've got things scheduled from tomorrow but nothing tonight. Does anyone want to grab dinner and explain to me how the world works?

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

USDA Choice posted:

Looks like you're in Tokyo, so you mean the today that's already here in Asia, the 14th? If that's the case I'm busy until at least 10:00pm :(

Yes, by today, I mean today :)
I should be all checked in etc by 7pm at the latest. Probably as early as 6pm. Will be boarding in about 30 minutes.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

thegoat posted:

My question would be why 18 hours a week? Why not 30?

Exactly.

Is it possible to just get more hours if you want more money?

The flip side is the math works out where you can live a normal life style working part-time hours, which is very attractive to many people.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

On the subject of taxes, does anyone know an English speaking tax person? I'd like to get advice about how much I would expect to pay in taxes and what I can deduct as expenses.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Does anyone know of an online number service similar to Skype that works for Taiwan?
I'm looking for a way to get a local Taiwan number that I can answer on my computer (or smart phone) through the internet anywhere in the world.
Skype doesn't seem to support Taiwan.. :/

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

On the broader subject of earnings vs living costs, what do you guys usually spend in a week on food and other non-rent/utilities related disposables?

I was in Taipei for about a week last month and spent ~4,000TWD on taxi's and meals (excluding business dinners where it was about that per meal for two). Does that seem within the realm of the norm if you're living there?

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

USDA Choice posted:

I know it's par for the course for friends or "language exchanges" and it's an available field on facebook or whatever but that's really disheartening to see as a criterion for employment. How can I possibly take anything at that company seriously now?

That's what the money is for ;)

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I'm game in late August. Until then I'm on vacation in Latin America and then packing up in Japan. I'd like to meet people as I will be doing a three month stint in Taipei.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

HappyHelmet posted:

Ha, this made me laugh because its exactly what I do. gently caress if I am using their disgusting little poo poo baskets.

Exactly! That's what I'm doing in Brazil. I'm staying some nights at a friend's house so rather than destroy her house I'm just waiting until I'm out somewhere and destroying someone else's plumbing.

On a side note, I'll be in Taiwan for 3 months in about a month from now.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

thegoat posted:

Like the others I came over 9 or so years ago with a suitcase. Over the years I've lived in furnished apartments but have since moved into an incredible place that I've furnished myself and realize that I'll be living here for quite some time.

15k/month for 70ping (2400sqft) with a balcony facing a permanent park. Life is good.

Yes! So looking forward to this. I'm moving to Taiwan in two weeks from Tokyo.

I pay ~73k/month for 52m^2 (559sqft) here.

I'll be coming with two suitcases of clothes, a laptop, and I'll be shipping my desktop computer over in advance. New accommodations are furnished.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

url posted:

..Yank the internals from the desktop unless the case really means that much to you.
Cases are cheap, as are power supplies.
I carried motherboard/ram/gfx/HDD's when I came.
Screens aren't horrendous either.
I think I got my 24" acer for 8KNT$

8-core Xeon Mac Pro.
See profile picture for desktop setup of your dreams.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

i'm shipping from Tokyo so it should be too bad, it's not New York or anything.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Does anyone know of an "old man's" league for ice hockey in Taipei? Maybe an inline hockey club or something at least?

Also, anyone have any comments on the Daan District in Taipei? That's where I'll be living from Wednesday.

Thx

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I'm near Zhongxiao fuxing station
Just got here few hours. It's raining like a bitch out there. Going to suck to go to 'registration' for classes tomorrow.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

So anyways I'm here in Taiwan now and free until the 4th. If anyone wants to do a mini goon meet in town I'm game for it. I certainly don't know my way around yet so I'm open to suggestions.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Haraksha posted:

Interested in going to a dive bar tonight?

Yes. I don't know what that is.... but I'll go.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Haraksha posted:

It's way less exciting than you think. I'm using "dive bar" to mean the exact same thing it always does. This is a lovely, hole in the wall bar for Taiwanese guys to act like badasses.

When are you free?

I'm always free.
I've got nothing until the 4th of next month.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Haraksha posted:

Let me rephrase that.

At what time tonight would you be available to meet up?

Any other goons want to drink the world's best mohitos tonight?

I'm always free. I"ve got nothing. Whenever works for you I can accomodate.

Edit: I'm on Kakao Talk as dtb, and Line as dtb4life

dtb fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 24, 2012

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Thanks for the good night Friday, boys.
I was really looking forward to bottle keep, but finishing the whole thing on the first night is another way to do it.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

What's the etiquette for eating while walking in Taiwain?
I see food for sale on the street everywhere but never see anyone eating on public.
I'm personally however not concerned with food stalls, but rather there is a Subway next door to my place and I want to buy a sandwich and eat it while I walk to school every day. Is that a no-go?
(In Japan I'd get serious stares and people murmuring under their breath about foreign savages.)

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Dudes, it's time to get serious here. Sure food is nice and all, but it's not a necessary basic need for life.

There is a roller blade rink in Daan Forest Park. The lights are on until 12am.
Whose got skates and a stick? Let's do this.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Internet is finally back on after a 36 hour black out. Fsck Taiwan. Heads would be rolling in Japan over this..

.. Anyways...

I have stick and skates in Taipei, so at least one guy does :)

I'm clearly spending too much on food @ about 500/day.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Subway lunch = 180
Choose your own adventure buffet = 200
Jug-o-water = 30
Pearl Tea = 100

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Haraksha posted:

That's not too far from Sanxia, actually. We should get a bottle of whiskey to celebrate.

Count me in!

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Yeah I've got to find the super market nearest me. I just moved on Saturday after being here for only for two weeks so I'm a little disorientated.

I'm not in to investing anything here though since I'll be leaving in ~3 months pending something crazy life changing happening so I'll skip on the filter. Even if it pays for itself, throwing it away will be hassle.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Great summary.謝謝

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Also be aware that the cost of living going down usually means your salary goes down too. Be sure to check the ratios, you may have more buying power at the end of the month in your current higher cost of living local.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Revalis Enai posted:

It's more that I feel jaded for being told in mid the 90s that I can become anything I want when I get out of school, and now I'm getting paid $11.50 an hour in a field I didn't study for. I think at my age I should be getting at least $19hr, but in Portland that seems to be a 4yr degree/2-3 year experience position.

This is a pretty decent light read, but it was written pre-Great Recesion so some attitudes may be a little off for those of us in today's world.

http://www.amazon.com/Quarterlife-Crisis-Unique-Challenges-Twenties/dp/1585421065

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

DontAskKant posted:

$11.50, hold on there Mr. Money Bags. With a four year degree, 5 years in journalism, 4 in university IT and 2-3 in various skilled trades I was pulling in $2.00 to $8.50 per hour. Before the recession even running the line at a high end French place I was making $11 and getting minimum wage in IT. $250 per 100 hour week as a trained carpenter. All this in a place with rent more expensive than Chicago and almost more than parts of NYC. $11.50 isn't so bad it seems. Even as an artistic director for the Cleveland Symphony you aren't making much more than that.

That's bogus. I don't care what everyone else makes, I care if I make enough for what I want, and for me that wouldn't be enough. If you're not satisfied with your wage, pick the wage you want and work backwards how to get there. Can't do all that is required? Adjust your goals. Rinse and repeat. No shame in that.

Where were you making that 2-8USD/hr with that much 'experience', Hati? Realistically I think your experience, education have nothing to do with being a carpenter or line manager so they don't actually add up to or count for anything; you're basically coming to negotiations as a high school graduate with zero experience. If you're not satisfied with your wage, then focus your time and energies on one thing. As sad as it is, the days of the Reneissance Man are over (trust me this saddens me). If however you are happy with what you do, then say fsck the wage and do what makes you happy, also a great place to be, but then you can't be critical of others's desires for a higher wage as you are gauging success on a different while equally acceptable scale.

I've only been in Taiwan for less than a month this trip and a total of maybe three weeks from other trips throughout the years, but Taiwan seems to me to be a great place to say fsck to wages and really enjoy living. (That's why I'm here, even if for just a short while.) From my experience, I see people here making poo poo money with a big smile on their face where my 1%'er friends are miserable in Japan. There has to be a reason people in rich countries are committing suicide left and right.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Looking for a good bar/lounge:
Must serve real cocktails (if the ingredients are in the name it's not a real cocktail)
Have cigars
Studded leather chairs
Ambient lighting
No one in shorts, jeans or sandals

Any suggestions?

Oh, in Taipei. I want to walk home in a drunken stooper, not pass out and wake up in the middle of getting sexually assaulted in the 'berbs

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

Spanish Matlock posted:

I know of a place that meets most of those requirements, but rather than serve girly drinks (i.e. cocktails without the ingredients in the name) they serve straight whisky.

Oh do tell....
And I take offense to having my Rusty Nail or Godfather referred to as a girl drink and hereby invite you to drink with me if you can find me such a place as described.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

In case you're wondering, I've made the official decision that the south is cooler than the north in Taiwan.
Carry on about your business.

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

USDA Choice posted:

:aaaaa:

I know you'll need more than ten square meters, but even extrapolating... That is monstrously cheap.

I've never heard of Fo Guang before, but after some googling it appears to be way out in the sticks which makes the real estate market make sense. Yilan is already a pretty small city, and you appear to be a good 5 miles away from it based on Google Maps. If you like (really) small-town living it could be up your alley. Personally I'd be bored out of my mind.

As for actual instruction, I don't know that they'd attract the same quality of teachers as NTU or NTNU would. That said, I suspect you'd be speaking plenty of Chinese out there, and perhaps even Taiwanese too!

Meh, I'm at NTNU right now for their language program. Just buy the books and study on your own. The teachers aren't particularly good here and I happen to have gotten the worst in the program. Class is just a waste of time that I could be using to teach myself the grammer, memorize vocab or practice conversation on my own instead of trying to figure out what the hell she is trying to teach, because she is horrible at it.

Just go on out there. The teacher wont make a difference. It's up to you to learn how to speak Chinese. The school is just a necessary evil to get a visa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

USDA Choice posted:

[...]I'd also disagree that school is just a means to a visa. Drilling/repetition is important, speaking with classmates and being able to ask questions about usage is huge. Even a crappy teacher will be able to answer a direct question about distinctions that won't at all appear obvious to a second language learner like us. 生活 vs 人生, 跨年 vs 過年 for example.

I've found the doorman at my building is a great person to make small talk with.
Perhaps your millage will vary, but I think my local Taiwanese friends do just fine at explaining things. If I could do it all over again, I would have gone to a school In 高雄 where everything is cheaper and the weather is nicer and the beaches are closer.
If you think you want a job in Taipei after you learn the language, then by all means be in Taipei, but if you want to go to a specific program at a specific university, get as close to that place as you can get.