Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shots shots shots
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HappyHelmet posted:

I figured it would be something like that. My brief searching into the matter basically tells me its something like: hire lawyer-> sign documents-> kiss a poo poo load of money goodbye-> pray your business doesn't immediately fold

Depending on what you want to do, you can always do a representative office for a foreign corporation. This limits your corporations activities in theory, but unless you are a big business, that shouldn't be a problem.

If you want to do a legit foreign-owned business, you need at least 3 million NT in turnover per year per foreign manager's ARC. A representative office has none of these requirements and only minimal disclosures required to the government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shots shots shots
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HappyHelmet posted:

Yeah, this is definitely food for thought. If I went through with this I certainly wouldn't be making that much money. I have a lot more reading to do obviously.

Yo, I saw this CPA's site again. He has kickass information on practically anything related to foreign investment in TW.

http://www.jusregal.com/English.htm

shots shots shots
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

hitension posted:

Along those lines, how is one supposed to go to school part time and work part time in Taiwan? Something I have been considering, if it is even possible.

I saw that those on student visas are not allowed to work outside of specific situations (research assistant), yet I see English language teacher positions claiming you can work part time and take classes part time. What's up with that?

If you want to go to school part time while working, there's two ways you can do it. First, get a scholarship from the school. It won't require any specific visa/ARC, and importantly, will not make the stipend dependent on such either.

Then, you can get any ARC job you want legally and study still (think of the working ARC as an unlimited class visa). Alternatively, your school can give you a love letter that will allow you to work up to 20 hours a week in any job you want. A couple classmates work as waiters/waitresses/western union clerks using this arrangement.

The laws are basically designed to keep southeast Asians from takin the jobs and working illegally. If you qualify for a foreign white collar visa, there's nothing stopping you from using that while studying and collecting free money.

Also, the law is changing so that if you go to school you can freely work for any Taiwanese company willing to pay you more than 37k. Note that this is lower than the foreign white collar visa, but it's a great loophole that will allow a company to hire you with minimal guff. Great for me because I'll be working at the incubator.

shots shots shots
Sep 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

hitension posted:

I'm looking at the scholarship offered by Taiwan's government -- it covers all tuition, fees, and a living stipend (20,000), but strictly forbids additional work.
I did notice most schools offer tuition/fees waivers for international students, but no living stipend.
I guess I just have to crunch numbers to see which is more economically viable. Living in Taipei on 20,000/month seems kind of tight based on the numbers people are suggesting.

Some schools do offer a stipend, it's usually small money though, like 6-10k. Better than nothing though.

Depending on the program you are doing, you may not find any problem working 15-20 hours a week and going to school, generating a pretty decent income, especially if you have 6-10k as a little bonus.