Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
The section about drugs is way off. Saying that its not part of the culture and mosty foreigners is wrong. You can also add that in Taiwan you can be charged with what is in your system. Years ago they would drive a piss test truck up to the seedier clubs and test people on the spot. Something illegal in you? Automatic 30days in jail. Second offense is 6months. Third is 5 years.

The same thing applies in Taiwan as in every country. If you want to do these types of things just be smart / safe. At home is best!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I've been here 9 years and after tax I'm hitting about 95,000 a month. Morning hours make a big difference.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
T-bone is a friend of mine and an amazing guitarist. You should go see him play

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I think a lot of people don't realize the hours that English teachers work. There are very very few jobs that are 9 to 5 or something.

My schedule is

M - F 8:30-12:00 1:55-4:20 5:30-8:45

2 nights only until 7:05 but the idea is that it's a whole day of working with a couple hours of break.

If I were to stay at the school during those breaks I guess that's unpaid work time?

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Just as a note if you are Canadian you get a 90day landing visa.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Down here in kaohsiung I live centrally and in a 2 bedroom place for 8/month. Cheap cheap cheap. Obviously love alone for this price

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I think showing up with several months worth of money and finding a job that suits you is the best way to do it.

I also think that Hess is great because you are able to land and have a job.

Sometimes you get lucky and end up with a great job, great hours etc. etc.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Any teacher with experience shouldn't have any trouble with that. It always makes me laugh when people say they got fired or let go because they make the max pay. Show that you're worth it and you'll never get fired.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I don't assume that at all. I know that as a teacher that enrolment is more important than learning.

TetsuoTW posted:

You're assuming the school actually gives a gently caress if their kids learn rather than just if they re-enrol.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

Spanish Matlock posted:

Let me help you with that.

Loving every minute of it!

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Do you have a 4 year degree in something? A 2 year diploma and a tefl/tesol certificate? You qualify.

If you do not have either of these, are you married to a Taiwanese woman or man?

If the answer is yes to one of these three you qualify. Otherwise you don't.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
If you have a 4 year bachelor you don't need a tefl and I would consider it a waste of time.

When I came to Taiwan 9 years ago, I flew here and just cruised around until I found a job I liked. This is the only way I would want to do it.

If youre American I would recommend you get a two month visitor visa rather than the thirty day landing visa. If youre Canadian you get a three month landing visa. Either way two or three months should be enough time to find a job.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
It should also be mentioned that Tasty is disgusting. You couldn't pay me 500nt to eat a steak there

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
But then you would have an android phone.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
How could you possibly think someone from Taiwan was from Thailand. All Asians look alike to you?

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Even for smuggling its very very rare they give the death penalty. Friend of a friend is in jail for possessing and smuggling very large amounts of cocaine. He only got something like 27 years.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
My question would be why 18 hours a week? Why not 30?

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I don't think anybody was actually saying ugh how can you live on 18 hours. I was just asking why someone would ask for that amount of hours and then wonder why people would move here for that amount.

I know plenty of people who work the minimum 14 needed for an arc. I always wondered why someone would move across the globe and then work as little as possible, saving almost nothing for 10+ years.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Here is a local posting for Kaohsiung. Same as Hess at about 580/hr.

Benefits include:

- 30 teaching hours per week, all in one place, Monday to Friday
- work visa, ARC, and health insurance provided
- three week summer holiday plus additional personal vacation time
- generous year end bonus and tax back incentives
- total annual net income over 830,000NT

The ideal candidate will:

- be patient, creative, hard-working, and outgoing and work well in a fast-paced environment
- work well with children aged 7 to 14
- be a Native English speaker
- possess a four year university degree
- be able to sign a one year contract

For more information on KNS visit us on the web at https://www.kns.com.tw

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
14k for coke and hookers is one weekend if you have a lot of fun. Two if you are reserved.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I work a split shift and it's great because I love the money. If you aren't coming for the money no point working mornings and stressing out teaching four year olds.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I've only ever hired a taxi to Kenting. Kaohsiung to Kenting is 1500NT.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Kaohsiung is shut down. Already pretty windy / rainy

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Yes people use blackberries. Only Taiwan mobile supplies and supports them.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
The best page for finding out if your region is off for a typhoon

http://vps1.jameslick.com/dgpa/

or the original in Chinese

http://www.dgpa.gov.tw/

thegoat fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 1, 2012

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Like the others I came over 9 or so years ago with a suitcase. Over the years I've lived in furnished apartments but have since moved into an incredible place that I've furnished myself and realize that I'll be living here for quite some time.

15k/month for 70ping (2400sqft) with a balcony facing a permanent park. Life is good.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Kaohsiung! Girlfriends family purchased a couple different apartments so we're getting a half price deal.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

Haraksha posted:

Fruit is not kimchi.

To be fair, they have the world's best tangerines in Korea. I think I actually got orange slices with a tequila shot once there.

Orange slices with tequila is delicious

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I linked that webpage way before TetsuoTW. Give a guy some credit here

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I guess I need to have an automated typhoon response in place. I'll get it ready

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I walked in and got 100 on both tests. I was allowed to practice the driving course twice with a guide for some reason. He told me exactly what to do to pass the test. Where to put the mirrors ( facing the back tires) and any other hint.

It was also a really really hot summer day. So the test giver really wanted out of the car as fast as possible. I didn't even finish the parallel park and he was telling me to move on.

Good luck!

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

nubdestoryer posted:

I was offered a job teaching in Kaohsiung, I was really excited to go, but I just now cancelled after my school changed my arrival date three times in three weeks. It didn't give me confidence it would be a good place to work.

There seems to be a lot of teachers here so a quick question: I've got three years teaching experience in Italy, plus a Bsc and CELTA, would it be safe for me to go to Taiwan before securing a job?

What school was it ?

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Whoever said you would need to poop in a jar was wrong. It hasn't happened since like 2003. I had heard of one or two people applying for teaching arcs in like 2004 having to do it.

Also to qualify for an APRC you need to either have a bunch of money(5million nt) OR have been paying the required amount of tax for the previous two years of work. The amount I believe is something around 4200/month

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Youre right. It needs to be 5 years of unbroken work service on your arc. After four years of being here I switched to a student arc for two years and now back to a working arc for three years. I don't qualify yet. Knowing these rules years ago would have been great!

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I actually don't mind google+ because of the What's Hot or whatever they call it. Seem times some interesting stuff shows up.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
5 years is normal for license renewal now. Why she told you not to tell? Who knows.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
My license had been expired for is six years and I had an outstanding ticket. When I went in they informed me the ticket time had expired so I didn't need to pay and that they could renew my license without issue.

Taiwan!

Pocket: Where did you move?

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
The scooter driving test is a joke. I don't see any reason why someone wouldn't go and get it.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

And besides, what's the point in living in Taiwan if you don't have a lot of disposable cash lying around and nothing to blow it on?

This is why most of us are here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I live in Kaohsiung and make 95/month. I can easily save 60 of that per month.