Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zmanl0p6
Apr 7, 2007

i am gun drive a trane up u
Man, after all the people making GBS threads on the endings I was really expecting something much worse than what I got. Wasn't all THAT bad, but people on the internet are prone to overreactions I suppose. Besides, everything leading up to the very end was awesome, especially the final confrontation with the Illusive Man. Was very satisfying getting him to Saren himself. The stargazer was pretty lame though. They could have handled that better if they were trying to imply that life went on for the Normany crew after the crash.

I'm definitely looking forward to playing through again a couple more times, just to see how everything turns out differently. Especially once I get around to my fuckup Shepard.

On a side note (mid and late game spoilers): Thanks to the new paragon/renegade system, I had absolutely no qualms or hesitation when shooting Udina in his stupid face as soon as he pulled his gun. I would have been stupid not to. Same with killing Kai Leng. I feel even a fully paragon Shepard would have done those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Does anyone know if gibbed's save editor allows you to change Readiness?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

The Aberrant posted:

Does anyone know if gibbed's save editor allows you to change Readiness?

I had a look last night. In the version of it I had downloaded there is a section for editing each individual assets strength. I couldn't test it though since it didn't seem to want to save the file.

Edit: I also posted this guide earlier for changing asset values in the coalesed.bin file if you want to try that. It should work for any asset in the game and it only applies the value upon receipt of the asset.

1. Backup your coalesed.bin file located in [your me3 folder]\biogame\cookedpcconsole
2. Download gibbed's coalesed.bin extractor. I don't have a link at hand but maybe someone can share it.
3. Drag and drop your coalesed.bin file on top of the executable and it will extract all of the configuration files into a seperate folder.
4. Open the file called 09_bioui.json and find the sfxgame.sfxgawassetshandler section which lists all of the assets.
5. When I did it I tested with the Kelly Chambers asset called GAWAsset_CerberusExPatriots. On that line you will see a value called starting strength as follows

quote:

"(ID=133,AssetName=\"GAWAsset_CerberusExPatriots\",Type=GAWAssetType_Military,SubType=GAWAssetSubType_Ground,StartingStrength=10,GUIName=715488,GUIDescription=715607,bIsExploration=False,UnlockPlotStates[0]=0,GUICategoryID=4,DebugConditionalDescription=\"Chambers Alive\",bShowNotificationOnAward=true,ImagePath=\"gui_codex_images.Codex.CDX_Cerberus_512x256\",NotificationImagePath=\"GUI_Icons.Notifications.GM_Cerberus_256x128\")",
6. As you can see it has a starting strength of 10. Edit this to whatever you feel is appropiate and save the file.
7. Drag and drop the folder on top of the executable to generate a new coalesed.bin file. Put this file in your cookedpc folder.
8. Load up a save game from before you recieve the asset in question. In Kelly's case it was when I read an email from her sometime after the coup and I had saved her life.
9. You will be awarded the asset at the value entered. Save your game
10. Exit the game and restore your backed up bin file to the cookedpc folder. You keep the new value as your asset and your bin file should be safe for using with multiplayer.
11. And most importantly from now on just enjoy multiplayer for the fun of it and single player for the fun of it and never the twain shall meet again.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 9, 2012

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I just finished the game and while several aspects of the ending were a pretty big letdown on an otherwise great game - there is a larger issue that troubles me.

That new meathead character that lives in the shuttle bay: is he the least memorable party member yet? Does he have really any interactions save for the "shadow boxing" scene? What a waste.

Edit: Also they need to subtitle him every time he says the word "loco." I don't know what the gently caress he is talking about.

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 9, 2012

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zmanl0p6 posted:

Man, after all the people making GBS threads on the endings I was really expecting something much worse than what I got. Wasn't all THAT bad, but people on the internet are prone to overreactions I suppose. Besides, everything leading up to the very end was awesome, especially the final confrontation with the Illusive Man. Was very satisfying getting him to Saren himself. The stargazer was pretty lame though. They could have handled that better if they were trying to imply that life went on for the Normany crew after the crash.

Problem with ANY of the endings is that it brought up a whole fuckton of new questions that we'll never see resolved. And they made no sense.

Agreed on the everything leading up to it was awesome. That loving epic space battle and just poo poo tons of enemies being thrown at you during the missile launching stuff.

Honestly, the game had some good set pieces where crazy poo poo just happens all around you. It's hard not to just look around while you're fighting.

Dorkopotamis posted:

That new meathead character that lives in the shuttle bay: is he the least memorable party member yet? Does he have really any interactions save for the "shadow boxing" scene? What a waste.

Nothing interesting. I guess he's not as established as most of the other characters are, cause I didn't really care much about him. All that really happens is he comes to you for advice about joining N7 later in the game, and you have some bro moments if you come across him at the Citadel.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 9, 2012

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Regarding the ending, instead of using spacechild I think they should have used a projection of Harbinger instead.

VV You know, funny thing about Hammer: they always fail. There is no good video like for Sword.

Riso fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 9, 2012

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Zmanl0p6 posted:

I'm definitely looking forward to playing through again a couple more times, just to see how everything turns out differently. Especially once I get around to my fuckup Shepard.

On a side note (mid and late game spoilers): Thanks to the new paragon/renegade system, I had absolutely no qualms or hesitation when shooting Udina in his stupid face as soon as he pulled his gun. I would have been stupid not to. Same with killing Kai Leng. I feel even a fully paragon Shepard would have done those things.

Why the hell was the normandy in the relay? how do your groundside team members magically end up on the normandy? do the dextro crew starve? how do they successfully establish a colony from such a tiny gene pool? The plot holes seem to indicate the ending was changed last minute and they cobbled something together with the resources they already had.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Romes128 posted:

Problem with ANY of the endings is that it brought up a whole fuckton of new questions that we'll never see resolved. And they made no sense.

Do you really think this, though? What else would DLC be, if not resolution for those questions? It's not like they can really add more stuff to the game's overarching "uniting the galaxy" plot. I mean, I guess they could if they really wanted to, but if the total outcome of a DLC on the overarching story is "+300 more war points," I think people would be pretty rightfully pissed off. With no old characters that weren't explored, the only thing you can really do with the DLC is resolve those questions or introduce entirely new characters and conflicts, which seems... wrong, in this game.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Dorkopotamis posted:

I just finished the game and while several aspects of the ending were a pretty big letdown on an otherwise great game - there is a larger issue that troubles me.

Nope, that's pretty much it.
I found him quite likeable and I was pretty disappointed with the lack of real character development.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Viridiant posted:

Every time Diana Allers delivers a report on the awful things that are happening, she sounds so very bored by it all, as if it's the most normal thing in the galaxy.

I'm not expecting her to sound excited, but you'd think she'd sound grave or something.

The voice actor is just horrible.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Zilkin posted:

The voice actor is just horrible.

I kept going down there in hopes of some interesting interactions but nope. If I ever replay the game I'll just ignore her until she asks for an interview.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

I've just thought of something else, how the gently caress can TIM control Shep and Anderson? I can see how Shep's cybernetics could be controlled but Anderson should be immune. Is it explained or is it more magical reaper poo poo?

Zmanl0p6
Apr 7, 2007

i am gun drive a trane up u
If I could throw Allers out of the airlock I would. I will instead have to settle for inviting her onto the ship and the immediately telling her to gently caress off once she gets on board. I only kept her around this first playthrough to see if she did anything interesting and she didn't. It doesn't help that Jessica Chobot's face doesn't transfer over to the video game world nearly as well as Yvonne Strahovski or Male Shep and whoever they modeled Jack after did.

edit: Seriously she's taking up a whole room down there that Wrex should have been in.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Zmanl0p6 posted:

If I could throw Allers out of the airlock I would. I will instead have to settle for inviting her onto the ship and the immediately telling her to gently caress off once she gets on board. I only kept her around this first playthrough to see if she did anything interesting and she didn't. It doesn't help that Jessica Chobot's face doesn't transfer over to the video game world nearly as well as Yvonne Strahovski or Male Shep and whoever they modeled Jack after did.

My character ran into Miranda the other day and I could swear that she has added another storey onto her forehead.

Whats the effect of getting rid of Allers? I know you get small boosts to readiness if you keep her.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

I've just thought of something else, how the gently caress can TIM control Shep and Anderson? I can see how Shep's cybernetics could be controlled but Anderson should be immune. Is it explained or is it more magical reaper poo poo?

Never explained. Although if you think about it TIM was indoctrinated by the Reapers and he wanted to control the Reapers while the Reapers were controlling him. It was also dumb how TIM mentioned he was working toward controlling the Reapers all of his life. I'm just gonna try not to think about the ending too much and hope Bio pulls a Fallout 3 and changes it in DLC.

Edit-

From somewhat a few pages ago, but why are people saying that you can't get over 5,000 readiness without MP? I was at about 5,300 by the end of the game and I did maybe half the side missions.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Hank Morgan posted:

My character ran into Miranda the other day and I could swear that she has added another storey onto her forehead.

Whats the effect of getting rid of Allers? I know you get small boosts to readiness if you keep her.

I think you just lose a bit of readiness and don't have to look at her weird puffy face and ugly dress.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I have to admit, I was amused (and, well, enjoyed on other levels) the gratuitous rear end shots in the game, especially of Miranda. Ho boy, that's one hell of a perfect digital rear end.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Romes128 posted:

From somewhat a few pages ago, but why are people saying that you can't get over 5,000 readiness without MP? I was at about 5,300 by the end of the game and I did maybe half the side missions.

5,000 effective readiness, not total. If you don't play multiplayer your effective readiness is 50% of your total, which would be 2,650 in your case.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

ashpanash posted:

I have to admit, I was amused (and, well, enjoyed on other levels) the gratuitous rear end shots in the game, especially of Miranda. Ho boy, that's one hell of a perfect digital rear end.

I was slightly taken aback to get a face full of femshep rear end during the final Garrus romance scene, seemed a bit gratuitous to me.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
Oh gently caress me I just let the Geth live instead of the Quarians. (big spoiler)

My finger slipped. Honest.

Holy Cheese fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 9, 2012

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
So considering picking this up because I'm actually a little excited for the multiplayer- what's the final word on that, experienced Shephard...s?

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Holy Cheese posted:

Oh gently caress me I just let the Geth live instead of the Quarians.

My finger slipped. Honest.

I did too, was not expecting Tali offing herself

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

I was slightly taken aback to get a face full of femshep rear end during the final Garrus romance scene, seemed a bit gratuitous to me.

I had no romances, and when femshep awoke from the final dream sequence she was sleeping in just underwear. As someone who has never done a romance in Mass Effect 1-3, this seemed crazy out of place/gratuitous and maybe even disrespectful. Gross.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Synonymous posted:

So considering picking this up because I'm actually a little excited for the multiplayer- what's the final word on that, experienced Shephard...s?

play up until the ending, switch game off, imagine own ending, avoid rage.

99% of the game is amazing, and multiplayer is great fun.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gadzuko posted:

5,000 effective readiness, not total. If you don't play multiplayer your effective readiness is 50% of your total, which would be 2,650 in your case.

OHHH. Thanks for clearing that up. Guess I'll be playing into some multiplayer during my next playthrough.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Sweet jesus loving christ, that fight with the Reaper on Rannoch with the targeting laser made me turn off my computer in loving rage. What an awfully designed setpiece.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Anal Tributary posted:

I had no romances, and when femshep awoke from the final dream sequence she was sleeping in just underwear. As someone who has never done a romance in Mass Effect 1-3, this seemed crazy out of place/gratuitous and maybe even disrespectful. Gross.

Yeah, that's the bit I saw, only with an LI convo tacked on.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Do you mean what happens to them in-game or afterward? They show up in the game and get to be awesome.

I realize they show up, but it's really weird that they just wander off without explanation? ME2 got away with it as there was a gap of time where you where dead, but no cinematic of the court or the crew leaving?

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Rexicon1 posted:

Sweet jesus loving christ, that fight with the Reaper on Rannoch with the targeting laser made me turn off my computer in loving rage. What an awfully designed setpiece.

I actually turned the difficulty right down for that after dying many many times.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Perhaps this has been mentioned before, but does the framerate stutter a lot in the PS3 version? I'm wondering if it's just my machine or if things like the first 10 minutes of the game shift from like 10 to 30 fps for other people as well? The jumpiness was really staggering after how smooth ME2 was.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I think you just lose a bit of readiness and don't have to look at her weird puffy face and ugly dress.
That dress is a significant part of the problem. It's a reskin of the cocktail dress FemShep gets from the Kasumi DLC, and it has got to be the ugliest, most shapeless dresses I've seen in my life. It manages to take FemShep's almost unrealistically athletic and attractive body and somehow turn it into something about as sexy as a house appliance.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

I did too, was not expecting Tali offing herself

Guessing this had to do with your choices in ME2, cause that didn't happen in my game. I honestly can't remember what I did to the Geth in ME2.

I chose to upload the Reaper programming into the remaining Geth, Legion sacrificed himself, and the the Quarians and Geth were pretty chill after that.

Rexicon1 posted:

Really? All I did was dodge twice to a side while it fired at me. Didn't die at all.

Sheep posted:

Perhaps this has been mentioned before, but does the framerate stutter a lot in the PS3 version? I'm wondering if it's just my machine or if things like the first 10 minutes of the game shift from like 10 to 30 fps for other people as well? The jumpiness was really staggering after how smooth ME2 was.

Yep. Had some stuttering and I could occasionally clip through cover. I downloaded off PSN.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 9, 2012

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Romes128 posted:

Guessing this had to do with your choices in ME2, cause that didn't happen in my game. I honestly can't remember what I did to the Geth in ME2.

I chose to upload the Reaper programming into the remaining Geth, Legion sacrificed himself, and the the Quarians and Geth were pretty chill after that.

Yeah, my first run is my "impulsive fuckup run" with Wrex dead and Tali exiled because I was in too much of a rush to see the ending to bother with loyalty missions or exploration. I was going to do a "proper" run next but I honestly can't raise the enthusiasm now.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
The gamespot review said that you're inhuman if at least one of the in game events doesn't "hit you" emotionally.

I'd like to talk about that momentarily.

I think Mordin sacrificing himself made me frown a little bit, but I wasn't so invested in him by that point. Legion sacrificing himself made me say "I wish that hadn't of happened. I liked that character."

I was thinking to myself for most of the game Captain Anderson is gonna get killed and that's gonne suck when that happens but then it happened and I was strangely unaffected by it. I think it's the way it was executed.

The only real emotion to be invoked from me is annoyance over sword bandit's theft of the VI that knows what the catalyst is. What a jerk.

Were there any more powerful moments that I may have missed?

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 9, 2012

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Dorkopotamis posted:

The gamespot review said that you're inhuman if at least one of the in game events doesn't "hit you" emotionally.

I think Mordin sacrificing himself made me frown a little bit, but I wasn't so invested in him by that point. Legion sacrificing himself made me say "I wish that hadn't of happened. I liked that character."

I was thinking to myself for most of the game Captain Anderson is gonna get killed and that's gonne suck when that happens but then it happened and I was strangely unaffected by it. I think it's the way it was executed.

The only real emotion to be invoked from me is annoyance over sword bandit's theft of the VI that knows what the catalyst is. What a jerk.

irritation over the poo poo ending?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dorkopotamis posted:

I was thinking to myself for most of the game Captain Anderson is gonna get killed and that's gonne suck when that happens but then it happened and I was strangely unaffected by it. I think it's the way it happened.

Thane was killed by the sword guy if you interacted with him before that scene.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Damnit, I passed every old check on Konrad's work except the Elkoss Combine thing, I was sure I had that but I guess I didn't .

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
A dream sequence where I'm running through a forest chasing the kid who died at the start? Holy hell, is the whole game going to be this melodramatic? I've barely even had any dialogue choices, this really isn't looking too good.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Category Fun! posted:

A dream sequence where I'm running through a forest chasing the kid who died at the start? Holy hell, is the whole game going to be this melodramatic? I've barely even had any dialogue choices, this really isn't looking too good.

Don't worry. It gets really good. Some of the battles are amazing. Unfortunately the dream thing happens a few more times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dorkopotamis posted:

Well, I'm certainly hit with laughter at some of the animations in cutscenes. Not that it is generally bad but there are moments when things just go crazy or you wonder how that person is making that face and why.

But you're right, I had a hard time investing myself in this world emotionally so far.

• Locked thread