Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Personally I loved to hate Kai Leng, especially after he stabbed Thane to death, I didn't care about the reapers or the galaxy anymore, Thane (and Miranda too) had to be avenged!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Man they actually included Pinnacle Station from that stupid and terrible ME1 DLC.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

The MSJ posted:

Despite being called a 'cover shooter', playing a Vanguard I am hardly in cover at all. :black101:
That's exactly what makes the Vanguard such an interesting class, though. To play it well, you have to play it in the way that is unintuitive in a cover shooter because you literally have to put yourself in harm's way to be effective.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The real question is how did Shepard not get volleyed by the Quarian fleet on Rannoch, bullshit are they that accurate.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

The real question is how did Shepard not get volleyed by the Quarian fleet on Rannoch, bullshit are they that accurate.

If quarians are good at one thing, it's electronics and computers. They're targeting computers must be ridiculously powerful.

Edit:
If you call tech support in the ME universe, chances are you are speaking with a noticeably accented quarian after the tech support VI fails to help you.

Edit 2:
Did Kuala Lumpur get wrecked in the trailer? I think I saw the Petronas Towers getting lasered by a Reaper in "Take Back The Earth". I also realized ME3 takes place around 200 years after I was born.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 15, 2012

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Davincie posted:

Man they actually included Pinnacle Station from that stupid and terrible ME1 DLC.

I am almost willing to bet money that it will return as DLC in ME3.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Virmire Survivor posted:

I am almost willing to bet money that it will return as DLC in ME3.

Multiplayer map pack? That would actually make sense.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
I bought the game yesterday morning, and WOW it's good up to now. Though I'm kind of interested to see this legendarily terrible ending.

Bioware at the least does a good job of making you attached to the characters. The cloest I have ever come to crying from a video games was when Thane dies.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Yup, that's why I don't agree with people talking about the "downfall of quality" similar to DA2 with this. When you discount the last 5 minutes, I feel like the writing and dialogue is easily the best in this game out of the series.

Capt Happhypants
Mar 16, 2009
Ok, while I can't say that the ending is exactly what I expected here are my thoughts:

I would have been fine with the ending being where Shep and Anderson were laying there half dead/dying and toasting to getting it done. I wouldn't even have cared if I didn't get any "explanation" of the Reapers and why they existed. If it had ended there and the Reaper threat was just gone I would have been cool with that.

However:
Even after the somewhat odd ending, I was happy to see some of my best pals in the game survived, but the most redeeming line was possibly the very last one after the credits were done, "Tell me another story about The Shepard." That line right there redeemed a lot for me regardless of what you think of the rest of the ending.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

kuddles posted:

Yup, that's why I don't agree with people talking about the "downfall of quality" similar to DA2 with this. When you discount the last 5 minutes, I feel like the writing and dialogue is easily the best in this game out of the series.

Yeah, the ending sucks but the game seriously doesn't deserve that much backlash.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

mmm11105 posted:

I bought the game yesterday morning, and WOW it's good up to now. Though I'm kind of interested to see this legendarily terrible ending.

Bioware at the least does a good job of making you attached to the characters. The cloest I have ever come to crying from a video games was when Thane dies.

My partner likes to watch me play mass effect (doesn't like the combat), both Thane and Mordin's death had her in tears. Really have to take my hat off to bioware for how well a lot of the returning characters are treated and how emotionally impacting a lot of the scenes are.

The ending really is dogshit though, so prepare yourself!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I haven't seen the ending yet but I am just preparing myself to ignore what I don't like, because everything else about ME3 is great and the characters are so hugely improved and enjoyable. I hope Bioware acknowledges the criticism the end is getting and fixes it somehow down the line, the same way the LotSB DLC resolved a lot of weirdness about Liara in ME2. I thought that was an example of how DLC can take gamer feedback and transform it from what was previously a weakness into a strength.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Ignoring the ending, the only really minor story point that bothered me was the fact that Shepard effectively had supreme diplomatic authority for all of humanity, and yet (s)he was technically outranked by Kaidan the whole time. It was a little strange. I realize the "Commander Shepard" branding is really powerful, but for realism's sake (and for the sake of awesome) they could have had Anderson say, "Consider yourself reinstated… General." After all, Anderson was pretty much the ranking officer left on Earth, right? I'm pretty sure he could do that unilaterally at that point.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Capt Happhypants posted:

Ok, while I can't say that the ending is exactly what I expected here are my thoughts:

I would have been fine with the ending being where Shep and Anderson were laying there half dead/dying and toasting to getting it done. I wouldn't even have cared if I didn't get any "explanation" of the Reapers and why they existed. If it had ended there and the Reaper threat was just gone I would have been cool with that.

However:
Even after the somewhat odd ending, I was happy to see some of my best pals in the game survived, but the most redeeming line was possibly the very last one after the credits were done, "Tell me another story about The Shepard." That line right there redeemed a lot for me regardless of what you think of the rest of the ending.
The post credit guy and his kid was fine in my opinion. Still doesn't excuse the horseshit quality presentation of the rest of the endings though.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Ignoring the ending for a bit, i think the rest of the game generally ended up better than expected. I liked how they handled the non-squad companions. I liked how they showed up and interacted with you on missions, rather than being a footnote or completely omitted. However, towards the end it was starting to seem a bit "mechanical" in the way that they would show up in a cutcene then jump over a barrier and shout at you over the radio until they showed up for the next cutscene (Samara was the biggest culprit here). How hard would it have been for them to throw together some squad member templates for them with default stats and abilities? Anderson was a squad member at the start. Some were handled better than others (i liked Thane, and Zaeed's appearances, Mordin, Wrex and Legion's appearances were handled really well but that's to be expected since they part of the critical mission path), whereas others like Jacob and Samara seemed really by the numbers.

The downside of this is that there was only one real hub, the citadel, and it just felt really sterile compared to the previous two games. It felt like all the sidequests were either a generic "go scan this planet for me" or a companion quest. The sidequests where you interacted with people in the hubs were my favourite part of the first too games, it was a shame there weren't more of these. It's a real shame because the improvements to your squad interaction really made the place feel alive, with them moving round the Normandy to talk to each other and moving out to the Citadel when you docked there. However, i was a bit disappointed that they "wasted" resources on Vega and Javik on squad members. I found that i never really brought them on away missions because i was much more interested in hanging out with the characters i knew and liked from the previous games. I don't think i talked to Vega at all past the Mars mission and a scene where i boxed him and then watched him get a tattoo. Maybe he was a really well developed character and i missed out but i don't really get the obsession with adding all these human male soldiers that Bioware has. Javik was a bit more interesting since he was a Prothean and all but i was wary of missing out on stuff with the other characters. I did think that adding EDI worked really well though. You're familiar with her from the second game but it added a new dynamic, without dropping a random person i didn't care about into the game. I just tried to ignore the creepy camel toe sex bot thing. Oh, and for some reason Ashley didn't have any conversation options once she joined my crew and i hated how she was redesigned to be more sexy or something.

The other thing that annoyed me was how fanservicey it was. You couldn't go 10 feet without running into some obscure side character i'm supposed to remember from 5 years ago, and i rolled my eyes every time i came across a "Deal with it", "This is my favourite spot on the citadel" or Major-general's song reference.

Also, the combat got pretty monotonous towards the end. That might have been because i was playing an adrenalin rush sniper and used my squad mates for control, but it seemed to be really lazy to try and increase the difficulty by just throwing a ton of enemies with a poo poo load of health at you. It got really tedious when they inexplicably doubled everything's HP in London so that Marauders took two headshots to kill. It seems pretty silly to be complaining about this stuff after the travesty of an ending but there's not much else to say about that by this point.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Playing another run right now and I saw the guy trying to get a refund. This time I found out what he was getting a refund for. a toaster oven

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ok, so I'm stumped on picking a bonus power for my Infiltrator (pretty standard BlackWidow/SMG build). It's stupidly powerful even on Insanity, so I'm mostly looking for what's fun.

- Slam: this is what I had so far, meant for it to be a quick-recharge crowd control, but I barely ever remembered to use it. The problem is that dorks don't really get close to me (or if they do, my SMG is more than enough), while Brutes and others aren't affected by it.

- Barrier/Reave: Kaidan's dead so nope on either

- Defense Drone / Energy Drain: I still have to recruit the NPC that allows for those (and it will take a while afterwards to unlock them). Defense Drone sounds like crap, Energy Drain could be cool but are there enough shielded enemies late-game to be able to use it whenever needed?

- Carnage / Inferno Grenade: more damage powers, I think I can just spam Incinerate instead and not lose that much?

- Defense Matrix: probably the safest choice, shield regen sounds great. But is 15% damage + one free shield worth a 30% cooldown penalty, if I'm only going to use it when I can't simply Cloak away?

- Stasis: Could be interesting, but when am I going to have the convo with Liara that unlocks it?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

NihilCredo posted:

Ok, so I'm stumped on picking a bonus power for my Infiltrator (pretty standard BlackWidow/SMG build). It's stupidly powerful even on Insanity, so I'm mostly looking for what's fun.

- Slam: this is what I had so far, meant for it to be a quick-recharge crowd control, but I barely ever remembered to use it. The problem is that dorks don't really get close to me (or if they do, my SMG is more than enough), while Brutes and others aren't affected by it.

- Defense Drone / Energy Drain: I still have to recruit the NPC that allows for those (and it will take a while afterwards to unlock them). Defense Drone sounds like crap, Energy Drain could be cool but are there enough shielded enemies late-game to be able to use it whenever needed?

- Carnage / Inferno Grenade: more damage powers, I think I can just spam Incinerate instead and not lose that much?

- Defense Matrix: probably the safest choice, shield regen sounds great. But is 15% damage + one free shield worth a 30% cooldown penalty, if I'm only going to use it when I can't simply Cloak away?

- Stasis: Could be interesting, but when am I going to have the convo with Liara that unlocks it?

The late game spams shielded enemies at you, so I recommend taking Energy Drain. That said, Black Widow V was able to one shot headshot Marauders even at the very end of the game. Seriously, I barely broke a sweat in virtually every fight. The trail of pink matter splattered on walls is spans the galaxy.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

kuddles posted:

That's exactly what makes the Vanguard such an interesting class, though. To play it well, you have to play it in the way that is unintuitive in a cover shooter because you literally have to put yourself in harm's way to be effective.

Tell me about it, I started a second playthrough(harder than I thought it would be considering the endings) as an adept. Easily a dozen times now I've gotten up from cover and run out to fight, shot some people in their faces, started to take damage and went 'oh right... I can't charge...' before crumpling into a ball on the ground and having to restart the fight.

cell
Nov 25, 2003

The more Johnny the better.

Spikeguy posted:

Playing another run right now and I saw the guy trying to get a refund. This time I found out what he was getting a refund for. a toaster oven

For like 50 credits.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

NihilCredo posted:

Energy drain is great, both the Geth and Cerberus have quite a bit of shielded enemies. Stasis could be cool too, as a bubble to prevent you from getting flanked or to line up those headshots. You get Stasis pretty late in the game though; right after Thessia

But it's like ME2 where once you unlock a bonus power you get it on the rest of your characters right from the start. My brand new Sentinel with Stasis is going to wreck...when I get around to playing him :endings:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

kuddles posted:

That's one of the reasons I don't hate the game itself (the other is the characters you get invested in): Vanguard in ME3 reminded me of my Vanguard in ME1, with the exception that in the first game I would use my powers in a certain order until everything died, and in this the sequence is simplified to Charge>Nova>Dodge but the enemies are more lethal so it's more frenetic and fun.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Are there any good rapid fire sniper rifles (as in, not 1 shot before reloading) besides the Raptor (I think its called that? You pick it up fairly early) I was hoping either the Javelin or the Widow would be better, but the fact that they are one shot makes them useless for insane.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Davincie posted:

Are there any good rapid fire sniper rifles (as in, not 1 shot before reloading) besides the Raptor (I think its called that? You pick it up fairly early) I was hoping either the Javelin or the Widow would be better, but the fact that they are one shot makes them useless for insane.
The Black Widow has 3 shots before reloading. Its a spectre weapon.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

That's two recommendations for Energy Drain... any other suggestions? Otherwise I guess I'll stick with Slam until that one finally unlocks.

Davincie posted:

There's the Indra, but it's very similar to the Raptor and IMO the Raptor is better; the only benefit is that it's full auto so it won't destroy your index finger. The Incisor might count as "rapid-fire", but it sucks fifteen kinds of asses.

Otherwise no, the Raptor is a unique sniper/assault hybrid rifle, so if you like that kind of playstyle stick with it; perhaps carry a shotgun as your second weapon instead of the usual SMG or pistol, so you can have some punch when needed.

If all you want is a magazine size greater than 1, and don't need the actual rapid fire, the Viper and the Black Widow are both great choices; the former is incredibly light and carries six shots, the latter is very heavy and only three shots but deals massive damage.

(Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "useless for insane", there are many people who swear by the Javelin.)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The MSJ posted:

If quarians are good at one thing, it's electronics and computers. They're targeting computers must be ridiculously powerful.

Edit:
If you call tech support in the ME universe, chances are you are speaking with a noticeably accented quarian after the tech support VI fails to help you.

Edit 2:
Did Kuala Lumpur get wrecked in the trailer? I think I saw the Petronas Towers getting lasered by a Reaper in "Take Back The Earth". I also realized ME3 takes place around 200 years after I was born.

And the Quarian tries to convince you his name is actually Bob and that he's working at a Tech Support call center on Earth.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Easily my favourite track from the soundtrack

Does some heavy pulling on my heartstrings... :cry:

Ending blows a bit though. Seems familiar... :smug:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

richardfun posted:

It really summarizes the game. its beautiful throughout, you get this buildup to watch a great ending and then it just stops. :negative:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Banjodark posted:

Javik is a wonderful character, if you have the iphone datapad app the text messages he sends you are HILARIOUS.

I love the message you get from Mordin when he joins the Normandy and can't figure out what the hell they did to his lab. That's the first thing I thought when I saw that room "Where the gently caress is Mordin going to hang out?"

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Viperix posted:

Actually now that I think about it, it really is just his mask, hair, and overall look that bothers me. The fact that he's a cyborg ninja isn't itself a problem, because the phantoms don't bother me. So maybe its just the anime thing feels out of place in ME to me.
This. Also, you can kill the Phantoms fairly easily. He just looks like every kid in high school that whined in a nasally voice about how he was a registered weapon in three states, and that one of the True Ninjas is his sensei. If you had the bad luck to play DnD with him, all of his characters would have a trademark move where they'd put their hand out in front to block any incoming attacks and he'd always be described as having "an aura of mystery and sadness" or some crap. And then you add in the ninja-to bought from a mall store and the ponytail and the trenchcoat, and he's just kind of pathetically irritating. Kai Leng takes that guy's wet dreams to the max and then has him beat you repeatedly because Plot. There's a time and a place for cyberninjas, and it doesn't involve them flipping in place being shot up by three heavily armed possibly psychic badasses while taunting you because he brought a Plot-armored gunship.

Being told that something we're coming up against is scary, badass, and mysterious and then you find out that he's a 13 year old's first power fantasy is a bit...irritating.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Kai Leng's saving grace is that he's a retarded villain, but at least he's a villain and you're supposed to hate it, although no doubt the authors didn't intend for that particular kind of hate.

Can you imagine if he had been a "reformed" Cerberus who joined your crew as an NPC, with dialogue written expecting you to think that he's the coolest thing that ever appeared on the Normandy? Man, the Miranda-hatred in ME2 would have been nothing in comparison.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
About War Assets: I didn't know I had to do multiplayer until I got back to Earth. Is it too late to go online and fix this?

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

richardfun posted:

Now I regret not getting the Collector's Edition. The soundtrack for ME3 is ridiculously good.

Edit: Yes, even the dubstep ending credits. :3:

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 15, 2012

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

rock2much posted:

About War Assets: I didn't know I had to do multiplayer until I got back to Earth. Is it too late to go online and fix this?
Multiplayer will increase your Readiness up to 100%, not your War Assets. You can do it any time before the last mission, I believe.

To get War Assets from multiplayer, you need to get a character to Level 20 and promote them into your single player game.

You don't HAVE to do multiplayer, it just makes it easier.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Crows Turn Off posted:

Multiplayer will increase your Readiness up to 100%, not your War Assets. You can do it any time before the last mission, I believe.

To get War Assets from multiplayer, you need to get a character to Level 20 and promote them into your single player game.

You don't HAVE to do multiplayer, it just makes it easier.

I think what he's asking is when does your EMS "lock in" as far as calculating which colored explosions you will see. Start of the mission? Before talking to TIM? While talking to the God Child? Etc.

I have no idea.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

DMBFan23 posted:

I think what he's asking is when does your EMS "lock in" as far as calculating which colored explosions you will see. Start of the mission? Before talking to TIM? While talking to the God Child? Etc.

I have no idea.

Before Assaulting the Cerberus Headquarters as far as I know.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Dan Didio posted:

Has to be after that, because you get war assets there.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dan Didio posted:

If this is true: drat!
I will try some multiplayer tonight with the 2-day live trial and report back. I just got back to Earth and did the bit where you Speak to all the people you know either in person or on the vid-com.
I have a save from before the Cerberus base but I'd like to not have all that time lost if possible :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

NihilCredo posted:

Kai Leng's saving grace is that he's a retarded villain, but at least he's a villain and you're supposed to hate it, although no doubt the authors didn't intend for that particular kind of hate.

Can you imagine if he had been a "reformed" Cerberus who joined your crew as an NPC, with dialogue written expecting you to think that he's the coolest thing that ever appeared on the Normandy? Man, the Miranda-hatred in ME2 would have been nothing in comparison.

This would be awesome if you could insult him at every opportunity for being a smug git. If even the auto-dialogue Shep basically treated him like an unsympathetic Conrad.

"Commander, my augmentations make me the superior choice to fight the--"
"That's nice, Kai. Hack this terminal."
"But Commander, I am a master nin--"
"Terminal. Now. Or I break your sword again."

• Locked thread