Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Saint Freak posted:

It's probably a sign they're making bucketloads from selling multiplayer packs.

gently caress. I haven't even tried MP yet, but it sounds like it is just a horde mode which I hate. You're telling me they sell special packages for it? Ugh.

And at this point is anyone going to argue that the time they devoted to the MP component didn't water down the single player even a little bit? Like the N7 missions that take place in the multiplayer arenas. It's so glaringly obvious that you are on a map that wasn't built for single player. BioWare claimed it wouldn't, but they already have lied/stretched the truth about MP not being needed for the "best" ending.

Also, regarding Human Revolution, Kai Leng is a poor man's Adam Jensen. Right down to the sunglasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

HoveringCheesecake posted:

gently caress. I haven't even tried MP yet, but it sounds like it is just a horde mode which I hate. You're telling me they sell special packages for it? Ugh.

And at this point is anyone going to argue that the time they devoted to the MP component didn't water down the single player even a little bit? Like the N7 missions that take place in the multiplayer arenas. It's so glaringly obvious that you are on a map that wasn't built for single player. BioWare claimed it wouldn't, but they already have lied/stretched the truth about MP not being needed for the "best" ending.

Also, regarding Human Revolution, Kai Leng is a poor man's Adam Jensen. Right down to the sunglasses.

The N7 missions on SP are pretty fun though. The Benning one is neat mostly in that it feels really open and you can flank around and take new positions way more easily than you can in many of the more linear story missions. I think that's true for a lot of them actually.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Kin posted:

I was sure there was a Miranda "sister" mission that was DLC in ME2 and the only thing Miranda ever talks about is that same mission or things relating to it every time she talks to you in ME3.

It's the same with the shoehorned dialog about project overlord and the other DLC stuff.

Maybe it's more noticeable for me because I did all of the DLC for ME2 but didn't import the save so having all of these special scenes telling me about the DLC feels forced and out of place.

That wasn't DLC, chief. That was Miranda's Loyalty Mission

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

Kin posted:

I was sure there was a Miranda "sister" mission that was DLC in ME2 and the only thing Miranda ever talks about is that same mission or things relating to it every time she talks to you in ME3.

It's the same with the shoehorned dialog about project overlord and the other DLC stuff.

Maybe it's more noticeable for me because I did all of the DLC for ME2 but didn't import the save so having all of these special scenes telling me about the DLC feels forced and out of place.

Um it's not DLC that is her loyalty mission.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Kin posted:

Miranda never talks about 2 dlc in 3. The Grissom Academy mission references 2 dlc (if you bought it), so does the Jacob mission in 3.

STOP MAKING SENSE
Mar 31, 2003

This ain't no foolin' around.

Kin posted:

"Miranda Secret Sister Mission" is Miranda's loyalty mission in ME2 no DLC required. She talks about it a bunch because it is how you gained her undying trust. And the Overlord stuff didn't seem shoehorned but ok.

What was ME2DLC related was LotSB and if you didn't do it, there are some funny lines that your crew has regarding Liara and your level of obliviousness.

Edit: Wow, beaten like a Virmire survivor.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Is there a list somewhere of everybody that you can [Right Hook] and/or execute throughout the series?

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

The MP is squads of 4 against waves of Cerberus, Geth, or Reapers.

There are equipment packs that you can buy with credits you earn playing the game or, if you're really impatient, with BioWare points that cost real money.

Edit: I think the point of the N7 missions was purely to tie the multiplayer into the single player side. They weren't just like "Well, we don't have enough time to make a map for this side mission, so let's just use one we already made".

Shroomie fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 19, 2012

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

STOP MAKING SENSE posted:

"Miranda Secret Sister Mission" is Miranda's loyalty mission in ME2 no DLC required. She talks about it a bunch because it is how you gained her undying trust. And the Overlord stuff didn't seem shoehorned but ok.

What was ME2DLC related was LotSB and if you didn't do it, there are some funny lines that your crew has regarding Liara and your level of obliviousness.

Edit: Wow, beaten like a Virmire survivor.

What the gently caress SMS where have you been I literally thought you were dead and even contacted a mod about getting you a memorial avatar like dead SA goons have.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

You get that notification pop-up for a few seconds, yes, but in the previous games your journal entry was actually updated. That was much better than the lovely little popup that they give you now. And yeah, I was talking about that point of no return. A little bit of a heads up would have been nice, because I lost 6 hours of game time making up those quests. Also, the secret timers that someone beat me to. Fortunately I managed to beat those.
I'm not disputing any of this, I'm just saying that they are mainly an inconvenience the first time round, and then primarily if you're a completionist. ME1 and ME2 had similar problems, which become largely irrelevant after the first playthrough, when you know how everything works and what to expect. I wholly agree that not creating updated journal entries is an inexplicable design decision, and that the player deserves some forewarning of the mid-game point of no return and a heads-up on the time restrictions placed on certain N7 missions. Even so, you really don't need detailed journal tracking, and once you're aware of those pitfalls, they're easy enough to avoid.

In other words: this stuff is evidence of poor decisions on the designers' part, but there's plenty of those throughout the series and I think it's a bit unfair to make a big issue out of them unless you are equally critical about ME1 and ME2.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???
A few quick questions before I put down MP and select a class for SP. I've avoided a lot of this thread because of spoilers, so please forgive me if these have been answered:

1) Does soldier AR/infiltrator sniper time dilation still work like it did in previous games?
2) Does tech armor reset my allies' powers like it did in ME2?
3) Are there any other differences between MP and SP gameplay, at least in terms of selecting a class?
4) Are there loyalty powers in this game or are you stuck with the class-specific ones?

I'm very familiar with both ME3 multiplayer and ME2 singleplayer gameplay, and any "x was very useful there but y is extremely powerful in ME3 single player" comparisons would be helpful.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

I hope this is a sign that sales are actually terrible. Sure, the CE may have been a hit but maybe the numbers aren't so good for the regular version of the game.

Well, 40% of ME3 players bought the day 1 dlc, either through CE or with Bioware points.

It's more of a sign that EA's going to milk this cow until every price point has been hit. ME2 fell to 20 bucks really quickly.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes to the time dilation and loyalty powers. In general, the combat in SP is a bit more boring because it's a straight linear path with some maneuvering room, but you're treated to some pretty amazing sights and actual story to compensate.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 19, 2012

STOP MAKING SENSE
Mar 31, 2003

Aristobulus posted:

What the gently caress SMS where have you been I literally thought you were dead and even contacted a mod about getting you a memorial avatar like dead SA goons have.

You didn't see me in Huerta Memorial? I was right next to Kaiden.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

A few quick questions before I put down MP and select a class for SP. I've avoided a lot of this thread because of spoilers, so please forgive me if these have been answered:

1) Does soldier AR/infiltrator sniper time dilation still work like it did in previous games?
3) Are there any other differences between MP and SP gameplay, at least in terms of selecting a class?
4) Are there loyalty powers in this game or are you stuck with the class-specific ones?

I'm very familiar with both ME3 multiplayer and ME2 singleplayer gameplay, and any "x was very useful there but y is extremely powerful in ME3 single player" comparisons would be helpful.
1.Infil's is at least less prominent unless you use a particular rifle mod, in which case it's the same or better when you get higher levels of the mod.
4. All party members have 2 loyalty powers unlocked through progressing through their arcs.

STOP MAKING SENSE
Mar 31, 2003

Here's my short version on this: Soldier, Infiltrator and Sentinel were gimped, Vanguard and Adept are still broken (in a good way) and Engineers no longer suck.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

I didn't get the DLC, and those lines just seemed sort of awkward and out of place to me because as soon as Liara comes on board she tells you that she's the Shadow Broker, straight up.

They did the same thing with Anderson, actually. At the very beginning of the game, Anderson talks about how he was from London. He gives you updates about how bad poo poo is happening there, and says things like, "I was born in London. Looks like I'm gonna die here, too." At one point, Shepard says, "I'll come back to Earth, and you'll show me London." Then you get on the shuttle with him, and he's like, "I was born in London, you know," and Shepard's response is, "REALLY?"

STOP MAKING SENSE
Mar 31, 2003

Scuzzywuffit posted:

I didn't get the DLC, and those lines just seemed sort of awkward and out of place to me because as soon as Liara comes on board she tells you that she's the Shadow Broker, straight up.

They did the same thing with Anderson, actually. At the very beginning of the game, Anderson talks about how he was from London. He gives you updates about how bad poo poo is happening there, and says things like, "I was born in London. Looks like I'm gonna die here, too." At one point, Shepard says, "I'll come back to Earth, and you'll show me London." Then you get on the shuttle with him, and he's like, "I was born in London, you know," and Shepard's response is, "REALLY?"

Bahaha I did notice that and I thought it was a joke related to Keith David having a very gravelly, bass, African American voice.

Anderson: "I was born in London."

Shep: "Really? Did you immediately move to Chicago or something?"

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

You didn't see me in Huerta Memorial? I was right next to Kaiden.

No but really what happened? :saddowns: Can you get on AIM sometime?

quote:

There's a few awkward things in the game that are related to choices you have made or content you have or haven't played.

One thing I thought stood out as awkward was when you get the paramour achievement when reuniting with Liara. It's clearly meant for people who started with ME3 and haven't romanced her before, because what happens is she mentions being friends with Shepard and you have to respond "I want to be more than friends" and then she is like "So do I" and they embrace. but.

It's odd because for me, they went through that whole thing in ME2 and Lair of the Shadow Broker, AND in the beginning of ME3. Liara asks in both of those situations "do you still want to be with me" and Shepard has to reconfirm it, and then in the paramour achievement it's clearly worded as if they are only now entering into a romance and never have before. At least the beginning of the game and LotSB were worded "do you still want to be togther"

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Aristobulus posted:

There's a few awkward things in the game that are related to choices you have made or content you have or haven't played.

One thing I thought stood out as awkward was when you get the paramour achievement when reuniting with Liara. It's clearly meant for people who started with ME3 and haven't romanced her before, because what happens is she mentions being friends with Shepard and you have to respond "I want to be more than friends" and then she is like "So do I" and they embrace. but.

It's odd because for me, they went through that whole thing in ME2 and Lair of the Shadow Broker, AND in the beginning of ME3. Liara asks in both of those situations "do you still want to be with me" and Shepard has to reconfirm it, and then in the paramour achievement it's clearly worded as if they are only now entering into a romance and never have before. At least the beginning of the game and LotSB were worded "do you still want to be togther"

Poor Liara, she's so insecure like that.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

There are bonus/loyalty powers, but you acquire them just by talking to your squadmates.

Here's my short version on this: Soldier, Infiltrator and Sentinel were gimped, Vanguard and Adept are still broken (in a good way) and Engineers no longer suck.

Engineers didn't suck in 2, either. In fact, they were pretty broken (in a good way, as you put it). By default you could strip armor and shields in no time, so throw in a barrier stripping bonus power and you could rape all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
As a bisexual whose only friends in this city besides my wife are gay men and lesbians (well, probably most of the hippies I know are straight, but they're too busy occupying things to have relationships it seems) I sincerely appreciate Bioware's progressive attitude in this game.

That said, it's honestly gotten comical the amount of conversations I overhear that are gay/lesbian (and from what I gather I'm not even 1/3 through the game). On the Citadel alone so far, there's the woman in the bar who keeps bugging her male friend about "WHERE ARE THE HOOKERS?!", the Asari/human, the gay Turian, etc. etc. It's like the "but some of my best friends are black!" of video games.

I do really like Cortez though, he's one of my favorite new space bros. Great voice actor there.

So it seems they really were listening to the fans who complained about the lack of homosexuality in ME2. Maybe they really will release alternate-ending DLC. I can't think of any other DLC missions they could make that would sell better, so everyone wins.

STOP MAKING SENSE
Mar 31, 2003

Aristobulus posted:

No but really what happened? :saddowns: Can you get on AIM sometime?

Better yet, lets chat over some multiplayer. GT: DeaDxSpectre

Aristobulus posted:

Yeah it was weird how they treated an already romanced and re-romanced Liara. You had to re-re-romance her and it was kind of confusing. It is hard for me to believe an asari who lives for a guddamn millennium is going to drop your relationship after 6 months of only being one planet over. That's like 6 minutes to an asari, is she that attention starved?

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

Better yet, lets chat over some multiplayer. GT: DeaDxSpectre

I play on PC, man. :(

quote:

Yeah it was weird how they treated an already romanced and re-romanced Liara. You had to re-re-romance her and it was kind of confusing. It is hard for me to believe an asari who lives for a guddamn millennium is going to drop your relationship after 6 months of only being one planet over. That's like 6 minutes to an asari, is she that attention starved?

Gameplay wise I understood why they did it. In the beginning, they want to make sure you really do want your Shepard to romance Liara. It's just, if you say yes then, the paramour part should've been different. It just should've been a scene of them enjoying time together on the Citadel, and hell maybe it should've given you the paramour part all the way in the beginning if you say yes.

It's really nitpicking though because I'd be lying if I said I didn't absolutely love how much of the early/mid game especially, has lots of characters take notice of a Shep/Liara romance and how Shep and Liara even act like they are a couple even just in normal missions - like the Mars mission and such.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Aristobulus posted:

It's really nitpicking though because I'd be lying if I said I didn't absolutely love how much of the early/mid game especially, has lots of characters take notice of a Shep/Liara romance and how Shep and Liara even act like they are a couple even just in normal missions - like the Mars mission and such.

I enjoyed that a lot too. I loved all the little interactions in general peppered throughout the game.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
I feel like a loving colossal loser for asking this question but I will anyway: Do the one night stand relationships (Chambers, Allers, STEVE et al) count as cheating on your main love interest?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

3Romeo posted:

I feel like a loving colossal loser for asking this question but I will anyway: Do the one night stand relationships (Chambers, Allers, STEVE et al) count as cheating on your main love interest?

Steve is a full blown relationship and you and him are exclusive. Same with Allers, I think, not sure about Chambers.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

messagemode1 posted:

Steve is a full blown relationship and you and him are exclusive. Same with Allers, I think, not sure about Chambers.

Jesus, was Traynor that forgettable? Chambers is the xenosexual redhead shrink from ME2, Traynor is the lesbian com officer with the English accent.

STOP MAKING SENSE
Mar 31, 2003

Aristobulus posted:

I play on PC, man. :(

welp :saddowns: We'll have to talk later then. Gonna blow up some "Cerbs"

Aristobulus posted:

Gameplay wise I understood why they did it. In the beginning, they want to make sure you really do want your Shepard to romance Liara. It's just, if you say yes then, the paramour part should've been different. It just should've been a scene of them enjoying time together on the Citadel, and hell maybe it should've given you the paramour part all the way in the beginning if you say yes.

Yeah, I loved most of the dialogue, callbacks, jokes and content and really all I have are minor nitpicks too which makes it a successful and awesome game for me. Except for that one thing I will not mention. I just ignore that and love the rest of the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Aristobulus posted:

When you meet her on the Citadel that's what I thought was going to happen instead of a quest to kill even more guys. I like that they get the rest of your team off the ship, though.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Gaz-L posted:

Jesus, was Traynor that forgettable? Chambers is the xenosexual redhead shrink from ME2, Traynor is the lesbian com officer with the English accent.

I've started a play-through of all 3 games and I'm just about to beat ME1 again, this time as a bisexual paragade Femshep, and I'd pretty much planned on going James Kirk on anything and everything that has genitals in the right place, and out of nowhere Liara and Ashley burst in and bitch that I gotta pick one or the other, it was a pretty painful experience, a loving estrogen-fest gynocracy, don't want that to happen again, tia

Asbury fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 19, 2012

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Aristobulus posted:

I thought all the cutscenes and bits of interactive dialogue were done very well, and it did feel like their relationship was properly established again from the very beginning of ME3, except for one thing: unless there's a cutscene/conversation waiting to be played out, her standard lines on the Normandy and on the Citadel never get any warmer or more intimate than "hello Shepard" or "it's good to see you again". Would it have been that hard to give her a few different lines if you're romancing her? Even a chipper "Hi Shepard!" would have been an improvement.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

precision posted:

That said, it's honestly gotten comical the amount of conversations I overhear that are gay/lesbian (and from what I gather I'm not even 1/3 through the game). On the Citadel alone so far, there's the woman in the bar who keeps bugging her male friend about "WHERE ARE THE HOOKERS?!", the Asari/human, the gay Turian, etc. etc. It's like the "but some of my best friends are black!" of video games.

The female marine thing was more about her trying to be one of the "guys" than HEY HERE IS ANOTHER LGBT CHARACTER GUYS LOOK WE'RE TRYING. Asari relationships to me don't really count because of the whole mono-gendered thing. And I don't recall seeing anything with a gay Turian but now I'm curious. I think it probably felt more over the top just because it was such a switch from ME1 and 2 (Femshep/Asari fanservicing aside). If we tallied up the presence of heterosexual relationships to same-sex throughout the series, hetero would certainly outnumber. It felt more equal in 3, which I quite appreciated.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Drei posted:

The female marine thing was more about her trying to be one of the "guys" than HEY HERE IS ANOTHER LGBT CHARACTER GUYS LOOK WE'RE TRYING. Asari relationships to me don't really count because of the whole mono-gendered thing. And I don't recall seeing anything with a gay Turian but now I'm curious. I think it probably felt more over the top just because it was such a switch from ME1 and 2 (Femshep/Asari fanservicing aside). If we tallied up the presence of heterosexual relationships to same-sex throughout the series, hetero would certainly outnumber. It felt more equal in 3, which I quite appreciated.

Have any American 'family value' groups lost their poo poo over ME3 yet (let's not forget the game includes insinuated handicapped on robot action), or are they too busy trying to get contraception banned?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

precision posted:

Where was the gay Turian? I obsessively canvassed the Citadel like twenty times, but I don't remember that one.

Sombrerotron posted:

I thought all the cutscenes and bits of interactive dialogue were done very well, and it did feel like their relationship was properly established again from the very beginning of ME3, except for one thing: unless there's a cutscene/conversation waiting to be played out, her standard lines on the Normandy and on the Citadel never get any warmer or more intimate than "hello Shepard" or "it's good to see you again". Would it have been that hard to give her a few different lines if you're romancing her? Even a chipper "Hi Shepard!" would have been an improvement.
Garrus is even worse: "Not right now", "So whose rear end needs kicking now?". drat you space bird man, you can't give me one romantic conversation when you show up and then pretty much nothing else until the late-game!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Yeah, I loved most of the dialogue, callbacks, jokes and content and really all I have are minor nitpicks too which makes it a successful and awesome game for me. Except for that one thing I will not mention. I just ignore that and love the rest of the game.

Me too, I am pretty excited to talk with people about the game, but there's way too much talk going on about The Bad Part, no other conversation can be sustained. I'm kinda just considering coming back in a month or so.

NihilCredo posted:

Where was the gay Turian? I obsessively canvassed the Citadel like twenty times, but I don't remember that one.
Garrus is even worse: "Not right now", "So whose rear end needs kicking now?". drat you space bird man, you can't give me one romantic conversation when you show up and then pretty much nothing else until the late-game!

I didn't see a gay turian either. There's one guy who seems pretty close to his c-sec partner, but the partner has a wife and kids. I figured it was a partner thing.

Also to be fair, those lines from Garrus can come across as pretty charged if you want them to! "Nnnot right now" ALREADY??? I'M TIRED SHEPARD GEEZ

skoolmunkee fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 19, 2012

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NihilCredo posted:

One of the guys hanging around with Garrus in the refugee zone, IIRC.

It's also possible it was just a female Turian, though, because they all look the same. :spaceracism:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

richardfun posted:

Have any American 'family value' groups lost their poo poo over ME3 yet (let's not forget the game includes insinuated handicapped on robot action), or are they too busy trying to get contraception banned?

I've yet to hear a peep. I'm shocked. I'm sure EA/Origin/Bioware wouldn't mind the free PR.

I really like the buddy relationship with Garrus if you're a male Shep. It seems to be one of the best written relationship developments over the course of the series. The "special" hang between Garrus and Shepard about half way through the game especially rings true.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 19, 2012

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

richardfun posted:

or are they too busy trying to get contraception banned?
The gently caress? :stare: I heard about this once but is this actually being attempted somewhere? (Don't derail just yes or no is fine)

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Zedd posted:

The gently caress? :stare: I heard about this once but is this actually being attempted somewhere? (Don't derail just yes or no is fine)

Yes, because it encourages extramarital sex. Yeah.

They would have a field day with this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zedd posted:

A lot of people are upset that health insurance covers things like birth control.

And I'm sure some people, somewhere, are literally attempting to ban contraception, sure.

But anyway, I'm pretty sure there's little or no outrage against gays, sex, and gay sex in video games these days because it's all about the next election right now.

• Locked thread