Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

fivegears4reverse posted:

It still weirds me out a bit that people consider the 'least awful ending' is the one with the highest known body count of sentient beings.

Granted, I also understand a lot of the reasoning behind it, but it's just kinda strange.

That's actually why I went control. I had no desire to control the Reapers, but I didn't want to obliterate an entire race that I had just worked my rear end off to save, machines or not. Also, I figured that even if I did control the Reapers, they wouldn't be able to corrupt me, because I'd be, you know, dead. I would just tell them to gently caress off and then die without ever rescinding that order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Scuzzywuffit posted:

That's actually why I went control. I had no desire to control the Reapers, but I didn't want to obliterate an entire race that I had just worked my rear end off to save, machines or not. Also, I figured that even if I did control the Reapers, they wouldn't be able to corrupt me, because I'd be, you know, dead. I would just tell them to gently caress off and then die without ever rescinding that order.
Same for me, for the same reasons.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's funny, I've had nothing about the game spoiled for me except the ending(s), which I now know more about than probably the ending for any game I've personally beaten, and even before it came out my thought process was entirely "I don't care if the ending is total garbage, I just want the 99% of the game leading up to it to be great".

In fact, I think that knowing the ending is terrible is a good thing, because it's making me take the game slowly and enjoy the ride as opposed to rushing through everything to see how it wraps up.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

dark_3y3 posted:

Like everyone else in this thread, I loved 98% of the game but that drat ending. I know some people like the 'indoctrination' angle, and it's a better theory than the crap we got. But the fact you confront the ILM just before the magic star kid kinda throws that out the window. It's also way to subtle for an RPG that has a 'no dialogue choices' gameplay option.
Now it all makes sense. Where there's ILM, there's George Lucas! My childhood adulthood, raped again!

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

precision posted:

In fact, I think that knowing the ending is terrible is a good thing, because it's making me take the game slowly and enjoy the ride as opposed to rushing through everything to see how it wraps up.

That is a very wise way of thinking and I wish I had done it.

madhatter160
Aug 6, 2004
Mad as a hatter
I pre-ordered the Digital Deluxe Edition. Did anyone else get an email from the Origin store with redemption codes for two weapons? The weapons are (gonna spoiler just in case): AT-12 Raider Shotgun and M-55 Argus Assault Rifle.

Why did they send them now? Are they trying to butter people up after the Great Ending Debacle?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
No, they're part of the preorder. I got the codes on release day.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Out of curiosity, can you get the Gunsmith achievement by unlocking a level 10 weapon in multiplayer?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Gordon Shumway posted:

Out of curiosity, can you get the Gunsmith achievement by unlocking a level 10 weapon in multiplayer?

Yes, I believe so.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Gordon Shumway posted:

I've read that you can.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Gordon Shumway posted:

On the flipside, I didn't realize you could get it in single-player :downs:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
As far as I can tell, every achievement that can crossover between MP and SP does, so it would be weird to leave that one out.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Gordon Shumway posted:

Yup, that's how I got mine.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

precision posted:

As far as I can tell, every achievement that can crossover between MP and SP does, so it would be weird to leave that one out.

I think the only one that's specific to multiplayer is the readiness one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

I think the only one that's specific to multiplayer is the readiness one.

Technically, that's an achievement you can get by playing a completely different game.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
If I recall someone separated the spacebar key's functionality into the shift key too (a bit like ME1) by editing a .txt script in the demo, has anyone made any equivalent for the full game?

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
Oh hey guys we killed three million brutes over the weekend. :ohdear:

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

madhatter160 posted:

I pre-ordered the Digital Deluxe Edition. Did anyone else get an email from the Origin store with redemption codes for two weapons? The weapons are (gonna spoiler just in case): AT-12 Raider Shotgun and M-55 Argus Assault Rifle.

Why did they send them now? Are they trying to butter people up after the Great Ending Debacle?

I got mine about 5 days after release. I guess its just that EA/origin is crappy. Considering everything else just got dumped onto my origin account, not sure why the guns couldn't be.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Scuzzywuffit posted:

Hey now, to paraphrase the catalyst, "You could destroy the Geth", he didn't say I would destroy the Geth, and given that he said that it could destroy me as well, my Shep was still breathing at the end of it all so I'd say the Geth are ok. Like I'm going to take some million year old entity who routinely scrubs the Galaxy of advanced civilisations at his word.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

BurnBlackJay posted:

If I recall someone separated the spacebar key's functionality into the shift key too (a bit like ME1) by editing a .txt script in the demo, has anyone made any equivalent for the full game?

Here you go.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

ZombyDog posted:

Hey now, to paraphrase the catalyst, "You could destroy the Geth", he didn't say I would destroy the Geth, and given that he said that it could destroy me as well, my Shep was still breathing at the end of it all so I'd say the Geth are ok. Like I'm going to take some million year old entity who routinely scrubs the Galaxy of advanced civilisations at his word.

You definitely see the Geth ships all hosed up and EMP'd during the cutscene you get for Destroy. Sorry, you just genocided all the robutts!

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

GruntyThrst posted:

You definitely see the Geth ships all hosed up and EMP'd during the cutscene you get for Destroy. Sorry, you just genocided all the robutts!
Eh I just watched a lovely youtube version because I was sure I didn't see what you claimed, and I still don't - don't ruin this for me.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

precision posted:

I was sad that I got the mail slot one on MP.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

100 Years in Iraq posted:

I was sad that I got the mail slot one on MP.

Why's that?

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

CaptainCarrot posted:

Here you go.

Hmm, I guess it's probably a bad idea to do this and play multiplayer? I just want to use more of my keys :(

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

ZombyDog posted:

Eh I just watched a lovely youtube version because I was sure I didn't see what you claimed, and I still don't - don't ruin this for me.

:crossarms:

Okay now I'm weirded out because the one I just watched didn't have it either. Does that actually change with warscore? Must do research.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

No, they're part of the preorder. I got the codes on release day.
I just got mine today as well. Origin! :allears:

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

GruntyThrst posted:

:crossarms:

Okay now I'm weirded out because the one I just watched didn't have it either. Does that actually change with warscore? Must do research.

I'm thinking I saw a lovely resolution and confused the Reapers for Geth ships. In any case the Starchild leaves absolutely no leeway for interpretation: "You can wipe out all synthetic life if you want. Including the Geth."

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

GruntyThrst posted:

I'm thinking I saw a lovely resolution and confused the Reapers for Geth ships. In any case the Starchild leaves absolutely no leeway for interpretation: "You can wipe out all synthetic life if you want. Including the Geth."

Yeah, I didn't remember seeing it in the cutscene, but I do remember that being said to me.

EDIT: Wait, of course I didn't see it in the cutscene because I didn't pick that one and also I am stupid

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

BurnBlackJay posted:

Hmm, I guess it's probably a bad idea to do this and play multiplayer? I just want to use more of my keys :(

I've never had a problem with it, and I've played enough multiplayer to level 2 classes to 20.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

GruntyThrst posted:

See I think that it is open to interpretation, especially when Deus Ex Machina says it could kill me too, and I didn't die.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always wondered why I never had the pre order bonus weapons, i figured that it was a in store pre order. Never actually checked my email. :downs:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

GruntyThrst posted:

Quite honestly...

..I can live with that. In the greater, long term scheme of things, it's a terribly sad yet ultimately small price to pay to rid the galaxy of the Reapers' bullshit forever.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Sentinel Red posted:

Quite honestly...

..I can live with that. In the greater, long term scheme of things, it's a terribly sad yet ultimately small price to pay to rid the galaxy of the Reapers' bullshit forever.

Or you could take the Control ending and sent all the Reapers into the sun. But then you don't have a shot at teleporting back to London to wake up in the ruins.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 20, 2012

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Scuzzywuffit posted:

You just ordered the majority of every military in the universe to the Sol System, at best this means the various races homeworlds are undefended, at worst, their populations are now getting massacred by Reaper Ground Troops.

Once there, even at the best case scenario of 5k EMS, you will still lose 75% of the fleets, and over 85% of the ground troops just so you can walk up to a beam, and deploy a pod.

After all this is said and done, and you've sacrificed likely around 30-50 billion people to reach the Citadel, you can't kill off another 50 million or so because that'd be on you?

Instead you'd rather just go ahead and do what the Reapers have been trying to accomplish for all three games ( ie turning you into a Reaper ) because a genocidal AI who has been known to lie told you that yeah, you'll totally control us, scouts honor? Not even counting that, you saw exactly how your new body got made in the end of 2, and in the Citadel/Sanctuary in 3, by gooing up a solid 75% of Earths population, so you know, that starts off an even worse genocide. This isn't even counting that you will now be spending the next 50k years with the Reapers, so even if you aren't indoctrinated yet, in 50k years when the next cycle pops up, you can be sure Shepard has gone insane/indoctrinated, so it'll basically just keep the cycle going again.

Its basically the worst ending, tbh.

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010
Side note, as a 30-something human you will not be controlling the Reapers for long, Reapers being the ones that have been reaping for millions of years. The same reapers that just previously made you shoot Anderson. You will not be controlling them into the Sun or rebuilding Relays, but you can watch through their dead black eyes as they blast the remaining fleets above Earth. But at least you didn't pick Synthesis/Green ending where you forcibly alter every being to conform to one ideal despite 3 games building up embracing diversity. Thus Destroy is the only real ending, especially since it's what Anderson and Hackett want. Are you gonna go against them?

On NG+ and fixing my mistake of ending choice from last time.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Rookersh posted:

You just ordered the majority of every military in the universe to the Sol System, at best this means the various races homeworlds are undefended, at worst, their populations are now getting massacred by Reaper Ground Troops.

Once there, even at the best case scenario of 5k EMS, you will still lose 75% of the fleets, and over 85% of the ground troops just so you can walk up to a beam, and deploy a pod.

After all this is said and done, and you've sacrificed likely around 30-50 billion people to reach the Citadel, you can't kill off another 50 million or so because that'd be on you?

Instead you'd rather just go ahead and do what the Reapers have been trying to accomplish for all three games ( ie turning you into a Reaper ) because a genocidal AI who has been known to lie told you that yeah, you'll totally control us, scouts honor? Not even counting that, you saw exactly how your new body got made in the end of 2, and in the Citadel/Sanctuary in 3, by gooing up a solid 75% of Earths population, so you know, that starts off an even worse genocide. This isn't even counting that you will now be spending the next 50k years with the Reapers, so even if you aren't indoctrinated yet, in 50k years when the next cycle pops up, you can be sure Shepard has gone insane/indoctrinated, so it'll basically just keep the cycle going again.

Its basically the worst ending, tbh.

Yes, people have died trying to stop the Reapers. You don't see how that's different from me killing them? Also not just killing them, but eradicating an entire race that I've repeatedly upheld as being sentient and alive?

If the AI wanted to lie to trick me into doing poo poo, why didn't it just point to the "Control" terminal and say, "Yep, just hit that button over there! That'll blow us all up and leave the Geth untouched! That's what the Crucible does!" Or better yet, why didn't it let me bleed out on the floor?

I clearly have control over the Reapers for long enough to make them gently caress off back to wherever they came from. Why can't I just make them shoot each other with their giant foghorn lasers as soon as they're out of Earth's orbit? Or like somebody else said, fly them into the sun? I never really intended to dick around for 50,000 years anyway -- I took this option because I'm going to explode into ashes and die.

RoboHoboCop
Dec 9, 2011
I've just spent the last 2 weeks playing games 1 & 2. I just finished 2 and was wondering if I'll miss out on anything if I don't play Overlord, LotS & Arrival ? My special edition's shiny metal case is starting to taunt me.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Magma_Koala posted:

I've just spent the last 2 weeks playing games 1 & 2. I just finished 2 and was wondering if I'll miss out on anything if I don't play Overlord, LotS & Arrival ? My special edition's shiny metal case is starting to taunt me.

You'll miss out on some stuff. Completing them doesn't really take that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Magma_Koala posted:

I'd at least play Overlord. It was well worth it for me, considering how it carries over.

• Locked thread