Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Geostomp posted:

The first time, there was always something about all the missions that seemed off to me, but I accepted it barring for a few bigger issues like the Cerberus' absurd power-increase or everyone completely forgetting about the Citadel's powers. It wasn't until the infamous ending that I was soured on just about everything in the game. You can accept a lot if you think it's building up to something better. Having it all build up to the Starchild and his RGB space magic shatters all those illusions.

If the ending was even simply mediocre, people would look at the Buzz Aldrin thing as kind of a charming capstone to the series instead of one final derp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
I dunno, aside from that moment he jumps on the roof of your flying car as you repeatedly fly under a series of overpasses and don't smash him into one of them, he was no worse than Kasumi and her flying leap one punch airship killing...

loving weeaboos.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Spikeguy posted:

I just let media wash over me usually and try not to overthink things. It makes things a lot easier.

This. It's just a videogame guys. Don't really know what kind of deep message you expect. I find the story etc. entertaining, plot holes and dodgy writing or not. Don't be that weird nerd that seeks his life's fulfillment from cataloging the logical errors in the star trek franchise.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Police Automaton posted:

This. It's just a videogame guys. Don't really know what kind of deep message you expect. I find the story etc. entertaining, plot holes and dodgy writing or not. Don't be that weird nerd that seeks his life's fulfillment from cataloging the logical errors in the star trek franchise.

Sometimes you can learn just as much from discussing why a story doesn't work as you can from why it does. I like talking about the writing process and the art of crafting a story, and it's always fascinating to me when a story just doesn't quite work with an audience. What is it that makes The Room not work as a dramatic movie? How does introducing a last minute Star Child throw off peoples' perceptions of a series? Why is Garrus so cool? These are all fun things to discuss. We're surrounded by media all the time, sometimes it's fun to really engage and see what makes it tick, or rather, why it doesn't tick enough for some people.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Police Automaton posted:

It's just a video game, but it's a video game with a poo poo story as far as a lot of people are concerned. And in literally every possible scenario, I would have vastly preferred a video game with a better story. If you don't particularly care about getting a good story, that's fine, but waving off criticism as nerdy obsession is such horseshit. The pedantic stuff branches out from the basic failure of telling a decent story, and yeah, some of it can get pretty nitpicky, but not being perfectly content to wallow in poo poo doesn't even come close to qualifying. In that case, why complain about anything ever? [x] was a bad movie? Well, I dunno what you were expecting man, it's just a movie, why do you care so much? That book sucked? Well, tough poo poo, serves you right for actually caring about something nerd.

You liked the game. That's loving stellar, because this thread always needs more positivity, so by all means, talk about what you enjoyed. But don't just point your finger and laugh at people who actually give a drat about what they're experiencing. Welcome to fiction, where some people actually like to get invested in something different from their normal lives. Shocker, I know. We can't all be quite as cool as you, sadly.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Crappy Jack posted:

Sometimes you can learn just as much from discussing why a story doesn't work as you can from why it does. I like talking about the writing process and the art of crafting a story, and it's always fascinating to me when a story just doesn't quite work with an audience. What is it that makes The Room not work as a dramatic movie? How does introducing a last minute Star Child throw off peoples' perceptions of a series? Why is Garrus so cool? These are all fun things to discuss. We're surrounded by media all the time, sometimes it's fun to really engage and see what makes it tick, or rather, why it doesn't tick enough for some people.
I feel that there's a difference between discussing a particular piece of fiction's strong and weak aspects in an academic, more-or-less detached manner for a while, and explaining in great detail just how dreadful a particular piece of fiction is for some two years on end. Perhaps I'm wrong (I hope I am, really), but some people seem to be carrying a huge grudge against both ME3 specifically and BioWare in general for making ME3 - huge enough to absolutely compel them to endlessly repeat the reasons for their disliking both. Would it be altogether unjustified to call that (unreasonably) obsessive? It might be time to just accept that ME3 is what it is, and that it's a pity it really isn't what we had all hoped it would be.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
ME3 MP is the reason I'm still optimistic for ME4.

hell the Dragon Age crew is even cautiously interested/optimistic for DAI and they got burned about 10,000 times harder with how godawful DA2 was.

we could also argue that every person posting in this thread, no matter what they're posting, is still interested in Mass Effect going on years later and will therefore preorder ME4 no matter how much they claim otherwise.

Inevitably someone will quote this and post a very forthright and honest-sounding post about how, no, really, they really won't preorder it, they really mean it. Well, you're special. 99 other people will do just what I'm saying and we both know it!

e: meant to say "99 out of 100" but I like the idea that ME4 will get exactly 99 preorders, so I'm going to leave it

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 15, 2014

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Geostomp posted:

The first time, there was always something about all the missions that seemed off to me, but I accepted it barring for a few bigger issues like the Cerberus' absurd power-increase or everyone completely forgetting about the Citadel's powers. It wasn't until the infamous ending that I was soured on just about everything in the game. You can accept a lot if you think it's building up to something better. Having it all build up to the Starchild and his RGB space magic shatters all those illusions.

This illustrates why I enjoy Mass Effect 1, but only slightly enjoy Mass Effect 2 and absolutely loathe 3. 1 had terrible design decisions almost everywhere but with how the ending turned out and those final sequences, my playing experience was molded by that final couple of scenes and put everything in a different context, making future playthroughs more enjoyable. 2 had the idiotic terminator baby and Cerberus in general, but because the gameplay was somewhat solid and actually trying to keep your crew alive was intense and I was sort of invested in some of the crew I could look past all that and somewhat enjoy the game, even if the story bugged me. But it also made me put higher expectations towards 3 to present a better, more coherent story up until the script was leaked and I realized the writing team had no idea how to resolve the game's plot in the time they'd been given. By the time 3 actually came out my expectations were extremely low, and I was hoping the leak would make them change something at least to make the final product interesting again.

But it wasn't. 3 was boring through and through, barring the one or two scenes that actually worked. The goodwill built up by 1 was strained in 2 and 3 had nothing left to build on and hence collapsed under the weight of a schedule they couldn't keep, a more complete switch in main writers and expectations to cram in stuff from the first two games in a way that was meaningful. Which also failed more or less.

I hope that whatever comes next in the Mass Effect universe is better, or decides to go a new route not tied directly into the main story or even makes a whole new universe to explore with similar themes. They can figure out what works and what doesn't for a good story with the time they've got, right?

Edit: ^^^^ Just to be that guy, I never pre-ordered 3, got it for quite a bit of money off at a later date because I was skeptical (but really enjoyed the MP), and unless I'm seeing a great improvement via reviews or the impressions people show here and elsewhere, I am not buying 4 at all.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 15, 2014

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Generic American posted:

I'm angry! Angry about opinions about videogames!

Cool your jets, buster.

Psion posted:

we could also argue that every person posting in this thread, no matter what they're posting, is still interested in Mass Effect going on years later and will therefore preorder ME4 no matter how much they claim otherwise.

Even if this sounds like trolling, I have never pre-ordered a videogame and will never do so. Why you would pre-order anything these days is absolutely beyond me, but let's get not into that.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 15, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I get angry about how dogshit ME1 was daily.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I get angry about how dogshit ME1 was daily.

I mostly solved my anger issues with the game by pulling up Bioware's twitter account and shouting "I will destroy you!" at my screen while biotic god-spittle sprayed from my mouth.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Police Automaton posted:

Cool your jets, buster.
Please. I'm mildly disgruntled at most.
I mean, I haven't sent Bioware a scathing email about just how badly they hurt me in, like, three weeks. :smugbert:

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Sombrerotron posted:

I feel that there's a difference between discussing a particular piece of fiction's strong and weak aspects in an academic, more-or-less detached manner for a while, and explaining in great detail just how dreadful a particular piece of fiction is for some two years on end. Perhaps I'm wrong (I hope I am, really), but some people seem to be carrying a huge grudge against both ME3 specifically and BioWare in general for making ME3 - huge enough to absolutely compel them to endlessly repeat the reasons for their disliking both. Would it be altogether unjustified to call that (unreasonably) obsessive? It might be time to just accept that ME3 is what it is, and that it's a pity it really isn't what we had all hoped it would be.

So don't read it :confused:

Why do you care so much about what other people post.

If people discuss something that interests you, join the discussion, if you feel like someone is over-obsessively venting their grudge or going on a personal crusade against Bioware or whatever, ignore it.

Why do people care so much about what crap other people post on the internet if it's not in the least interesting to them.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Waltzing Along posted:

Insanity isn't that hard as long as you are cautious about snipers and are able to get past that first fight outside the bar when you first get to the Citadel.

sassassin posted:

Or you can just skip that fight.
Yeah I did that.

quote:

There are only 4/5 tricky fights in the whole game on Insanity, and most of them are early on and made much easier by focusing on gaining the most abilities you can asap (as opposed to making abilities stronger). Kaidan and Wrex biotic bro team takes no prisoners.

You can safely kill them both later if that's your jam.

They sucked so bad against the Krogan/Geth at the end of Therum I had to start over. Breezed through it with Garrus/Tali :psyduck: considering they both died within a minute, but I had them set off so much tech poo poo the Geth were useless and the Krogan decided to sit in the middle and throw biotic balls at me instead of charging.

I'm also trying to knock down multiple trophies in a playthrough so I've been rolling with Tali and Liara the whole game. They've been surprisingly competent. Liara going bugshit throwing singularities everywhere and I have her pimped out with the highest cooldown amp I could find so she's dropping them like once a minute. Tali hacking/overloading/damping everything. Now that we're all packing decent guns it's not so bad. I do have to do every loving side mission I can find for the trophy which is annoying. I have Virmire waiting and BDtS as well. Figure I'll dick around on side content until it's all used up and then move on with story.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!
Speaking of Insanity, is there any way to make ME3's insanity harder beyond simply handicapping myself? Maybe I play too much mutliplayer but I'm astonished at how piss easy it is compared to 1 and 2. :(

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Turn your TV upside down. Also, play in a mirror.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'll never understand all the hate this game gets. It has bright colours and you can feel the controller rumble as action takes place. I guess that's just not enough for some people.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

2house2fly posted:

I'll never understand all the hate this game gets. It has bright colours and you can feel the controller rumble as action takes place. I guess that's just not enough for some people.
Yeah, it's not.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Varjon posted:

Speaking of Insanity, is there any way to make ME3's insanity harder beyond simply handicapping myself? Maybe I play too much mutliplayer but I'm astonished at how piss easy it is compared to 1 and 2. :(

It's a garbage mode for babies.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Burning Mustache posted:

So don't read it :confused:

Why do you care so much about what other people post.

If people discuss something that interests you, join the discussion, if you feel like someone is over-obsessively venting their grudge or going on a personal crusade against Bioware or whatever, ignore it.

Why do people care so much about what crap other people post on the internet if it's not in the least interesting to them.
I care because I'd still like to both read and write nice things about the series (even ME3), and am genuinely interested in ME4, but have felt for a long time that this thread just isn't the place for that anymore. I believe that the pervading attitude here is highly detrimental to the thread as a whole. If nothing else, it just puts me off tremendously and makes me want to leave. Perhaps you are able to completely ignore what appears to me to be the vast majority of posts in this thread, but I can't, or at least don't find trying so to be worth the trouble. Feeling that it would be futile to try and change the posting of most others here by pumping out cheery posts myself (for which I don't have the time, anyway), I'm left occasionally venting my annoyance in the vain hope that it will have some effect. Call me a big 'ole weird spergin' caring crybaby nerd for that if you want.

Varjon posted:

Assuming you're playing on the PC, you could probably make it harder by changing a bunch of numbers with some of the tools listed here.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I think all the negativity is both due to this thread being an echo chamber and because we really have nothing else to talk about related to this series. Bioware's being so tight-lipped about any new development that we aren't even completely sure that there is a new Mass Effect game coming, much any concrete details on how they intend to continue after the bad place ME3 left the setting in. We can't even speculate because there really is nothing to go on and it is nearly impossible to build on the contradictory endings of ME3.

If they came out with an announcement for a Mass Effect reboot series or something of that nature, we'd talk about that. Short of anything new, we cycle back to the old, re-hashed complaints.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sombrerotron posted:

I care because I'd still like to both read and write nice things about the series (even ME3), and am genuinely interested in ME4, but have felt for a long time that this thread just isn't the place for that anymore. I believe that the pervading attitude here is highly detrimental to the thread as a whole. If nothing else, it just puts me off tremendously and makes me want to leave. Perhaps you are able to completely ignore what appears to me to be the vast majority of posts in this thread, but I can't, or at least don't find trying so to be worth the trouble. Feeling that it would be futile to try and change the posting of most others here by pumping out cheery posts myself (for which I don't have the time, anyway), I'm left occasionally venting my annoyance in the vain hope that it will have some effect. Call me a big 'ole weird spergin' caring crybaby nerd for that if you want.
Assuming you're playing on the PC, you could probably make it harder by changing a bunch of numbers with some of the tools listed here.

If it makes you feel better, I also thought that ME3 was a really good game, and that the endings were "just" bad, not series-invalidating. And I still think that blowing up the relays was the best part of the endings but the majority doesn't seem to think so.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'm doing another full run of the series, that should tell you how I feel about it. Yes, the ending of 3 was a steamy loving poo poo sandwich. Every game has its flaws. But I still like it and keep playing it. They did enough right that even that horrible RGB shitshow doesn't destroy the other 100+ hours of fun.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Sombrerotron posted:

Perhaps you are able to completely ignore what appears to me to be the vast majority of posts in this thread, but I can't, or at least don't find trying so to be worth the trouble.

I guess so. I dunno, I just skim over posts and when I see a discussion about something I find interesting or someone asking for help that I feel I can provide, I read it properly and reply, if there's 3 pages of people going on about something I absolutely don't care about I just skim and scroll over it and then go back to reading a different thread :shrug:

If I feel like bringing something up myself I :justpost:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
There are people like me who legitimately didn't know the ending till now. Though even I get tired of the arguments I said my piece, but actually enjoy all the games.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I put hundreds of hours across all three games, so clearly they were doing something right! :)

The fact that so many people continue to talk so passionately about the negative aspects of the games all this time later I think goes to show that the series had a ton of upsides that people really loved. If it had just been a bad trilogy of bad games, people wouldn't have bothered playing it or talking about it beyond the initial release. The games presented a great universe and interesting characters and told a compelling story that got people emotionally invested in what was happening. That's why the negative aspects get talked up so much, because they mar what was otherwise a tremendously successful series, and in many cases they marred it in a way that boggles the mind. People still can't understand how so much could be gotten right and yet such key things be gotten so, so wrong, and they want to talk about that.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think I got this current derail started by bitching on ME3.

Why?

Because I thought others would find my current reaction to the game interesting. Sorry if I peed on your birthday cake.

I keep playing because I love the games. But man, ME3 is a gigantic pile of doo compare to the other two. It looks nice. It plays nice. It has a few well written bits. Beyond that it stinks. In context tons of things make no sense. For instance, Banshees.

They are made from Ardat Yakshees or "potential" AYs. There were 2 AYs in the univsere and it was extremely rare. Yet for some reason I have banshees coming out of my shoes.

The amount of things in ME3 that clearly had minimal QA behind the writing are immense.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

They are made from Ardat Yakshees or "potential" AYs. There were 2 AYs in the univsere and it was extremely rare. Yet for some reason I have banshees coming out of my shoes.

The amount of things in ME3 that clearly had minimal QA behind the writing are immense.

If you read the Codex in ME2 (and talk to certain people on the Citadel) you find out that Ardat Yakshee's are not actually rare at all and the Asari have been using their considerable financial/political clout to conceal that fact on a wide scale.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I just figure that whoever wrote that line of Samara's dialogue about her daughters being the only current Ardat-Yakshi screwed up and no one who handles continuity caught it in time.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It was probably one of those things, like star-eating reapers and qunari horns, that just got retconned. Or Samara just wasn't being honest.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

This has probably been brought up before but as this thread is A) the Mass Effect 3 thread and B) over 500 pages long, I'm not back-reading to find out.

I'm trying to play through the trilogy if only to get it out of the way and clear out my library of games, but I've run into the General Protection Fault error that crashes Mass Effect 1 randomly and frequently. This is on PC, obviously. Is there any way to get around this error? The internet is unhelpful, claiming it's a Hardware/Software configuration problem on my end, or NVidia drivers and I should downgrade to 190.xx or something equally ancient, or that I need to reinstall and run as Admin. None of these things work.

Is there any hope or am I just hosed?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm doing another full run of the series, that should tell you how I feel about it. Yes, the ending of 3 was a steamy loving poo poo sandwich. Every game has its flaws. But I still like it and keep playing it. They did enough right that even that horrible RGB shitshow doesn't destroy the other 100+ hours of fun.

You and me sir are on the same wave length. I just started up a ME1 run again last night.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

You've got the right idea. Enjoying entertainment just for the ending seems like enjoying life just for your death.

The ending should be the least interesting part of anything.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Who watches Silicon Valley? Because this game got dissed on national TV.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Grump posted:

Who watches Silicon Valley? Because this game got dissed on national TV.

Thankfully, it was safely on a show no one watches.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Lycus posted:

I just figure that whoever wrote that line of Samara's dialogue about her daughters being the only current Ardat-Yakshi screwed up and no one who handles continuity caught it in time.

It might make sense for the asari to deliberately conceal the extent of this condition even from the Justicars, given what loose cannons Justicars can be. Don't want your warrior-monks going around murdering random women in the streets on the grounds that they were, unbeknownst to anyone, Ardat-Yakshi.

Samara may have been as surprised by the number of Ardats as anyone.

personally I prefer 'em rare, for the sake of gravitas. Also because the Banshee design was a gross and bad idea on Bioware's part.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Apropos of nothing but nerdy as poo poo there is a Con going on in my town right now. Marina Sirtis is here and I may have her sign my ME3 collector edition since everyone else is hitting her up with TNG poo poo. Also Michael Dorn, I guess I could have him sign it as "random Krogan #6."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Apropos of nothing but nerdy as poo poo there is a Con going on in my town right now. Marina Sirtis is here and I may have her sign my ME3 collector edition since everyone else is hitting her up with TNG poo poo. Also Michael Dorn, I guess I could have him sign it as "random Krogan #6."

He voiced one of the most important Starcraft characters in SC2, if you want to go with a not-random video game character.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Torrannor posted:

He voiced one of the most important Starcraft characters in SC2, if you want to go with a not-random video game character.

Well, he wasn't entirely a random character. He was the local antagonist of Grunt's loyalty quest on Tuchanka, got a name and everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Rhjamiz posted:

This has probably been brought up before but as this thread is A) the Mass Effect 3 thread and B) over 500 pages long, I'm not back-reading to find out.

I'm trying to play through the trilogy if only to get it out of the way and clear out my library of games, but I've run into the General Protection Fault error that crashes Mass Effect 1 randomly and frequently. This is on PC, obviously. Is there any way to get around this error? The internet is unhelpful, claiming it's a Hardware/Software configuration problem on my end, or NVidia drivers and I should downgrade to 190.xx or something equally ancient, or that I need to reinstall and run as Admin. None of these things work.

Is there any hope or am I just hosed?

A couple things you can try -

Run the game as an Administrator.
Add the game to the DEP exception list.

• Locked thread