Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

aegof posted:

With enough Lift you can Lift a Geth armature. Or whatever those big things you were supposed to fight in the Mako were. It was the best part of ME1, and one of the only things I had fun with.

ME3Multiplayer on the other hand is the best part of the franchise.
I loved doing the last assault on the Citadel since Lift and Pull (and anything else that removed gravity) was an insta-kill.

Giant Geth Destroyer? Not anymore! *yoink*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

DarkHorse posted:

I loved doing the last assault on the Citadel since Lift and Pull (and anything else that removed gravity) was an insta-kill.

Giant Geth Destroyer? Not anymore! *yoink*

It was a fun secret minigame to go to the low gravity exploration planets, find some Geth or Mercs, raise them with max Lift, then Throw them and see how far they'd go.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

hectik posted:

Also, running an all explosive round shotgun squad owned pretty hard.

Once I got the explosive rounds X those immediately went on my HMMVSG :getin:

Also using Lift and Singularity taught me that being a Soldier is boring as gently caress. It's kind of like discovering how much fun casters are in other RPGs

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
Interesting comments on difficulty. It seems I'm in the minority thinking that ME 3 on insanity (as non-sentinel classes) is harder than ME 2 and ME 1, though I can see some of the logic for that now. My last ME 2 playthrough was an insanity vanguard and I did take barrier as a bonus power to balance out the class better, but I loved the way it played overall. The Wiki helpfully points out barrier is the only defensive ability with no animation in ME 2, so shepard can use it while being flamethrown or knocked around which is quite handy.

I'd agree ME 1 insanity is difficult to an extent - except that you got to choose almost all of your fights to a much greater extent than other games. I'm a pack rat when it comes to saved games, so if I landed on some planet with an asburdly hard fight in ME 1 I'd often just load and be back on the normandy. Also ME 1 has a lot of armor progression, colossus armor made even insanity rather easy, whereas 2 and 3 later armors were never that much better than the default.

On the subject of Mass effect 1, I finally got it configured the way I liked and thought I'd share some of my highly-recommended tweaks. For me the biggest 3 are all time-saving - ME 1 plays verrry slowly by design, often long open segments and cutscenes are designed to mask level loads, since SSDs were uncommon when the game came out in 2007. However if you are a PC gamer with an SSD or fast hard drive, many of these things (like elevator rides) aren't needed. These changes shave several hours off of Mass Effect 1 and make it a game I honestly enjoy re-playing now, in fact its now my favorite of the trilogy. Doing every side mission and planet becomes fun and interesting like it should be, rather than slow and tedious. The wiki has a complete list of possible tweaks here, for a long time I resisted reading it but when you dig in there is quite a trove of useful changes for the entire trilogy. Suffice it to say, now that I know these timesaving tweaks exist for ME 1 I consider them essential and will never consider playing them game without them. My regret is only discovering these late in my first playthrough of ME 1.

My top 3 time-saving tweaks for ME 1 (PC master race only):
1. (File - BioInput.ini) add Bindings=(Name="MiddleMouseButton",InputMode=BIO_INPUT_MODE_NONE,Command="SloMo 10 | OnRelease SloMo 1",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False). Beyond insanely useful, saves absurd amounts of time, increases gamespeed by 10X when the middle mouse button is held. works in the mako as well and during cutscenes. Makes gathering resources on planets a breeze as well. Using it in a fight isn't recommended since enemies move 10X faster as well. EDIT: Forgot to mention this is the one that lets you skip every elevator ride.
2. (File - BioInput.ini) add Bindings=(Name="LeftShift",InputMode=BIO_INPUT_MODE_NONE,Command="Superspeed | OnRelease Superspeed",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False). Personally I changed STORM to CAPSLOCK to avoid interfering. LEFTSHIFT causes shepard to run superfast. Only works on foot, and is largely superseded in usefulness by #1, but used in combination allows shepard to traverse one side of a planet to the other almost instantly. Can be used in combat effectively as a cheat, though personally I only used it out of combat. Safer in some respects because it won't skip or accelerate dialogue since the gamespeed isn't actually increased.
3. (File - BioInput.ini) set m_bDisableCinematicSkip=FALSE. Q (or holster weapon) now skips repetitive cutscenes like mass relays or citadel docking/undocking.

One last tip - I enjoyed using the Mako and hated the XP penalty for using it, so I changed ' m_fVehicleExpScaleFactor=0.4 ' to 1.0 in BioGame.ini
Also helpful but nonessential are the instructions for adding quickload, which is really nice for ME 1 because you can use it at any time even during cutscenes. For some reason in ME 2 and ME 3 they removed the ability to load during cutscenes.

Whats funny is skipping the slow bits of ME 1 this way actually makes you realize how short the main story is. IF I DIDN'T do all the side missions then I'd finish the whole game in about a day and a half.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 31, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Eregos posted:

For some reason in ME 2 and ME 3 they removed the ability to load during cutscenes.

I don't know if this is strictly correct, but it seems like of the games I've played, it's only Bioware games that don't let you do this.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

MA-Horus posted:

You shut your mouth, shadow broker was awesome.

"remember when you could slap omni-gel on everything?"
LotSB owns.

"But you tested it, right? Tell me you tested it!" "Can't talk now!" and

"Please don't give the mercs ideas." "Another wave's coming, looks like a big one!" "You just had to give them tactical advice."

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

also the tela vasir fight was amazing

unless you weren't playing as a vanguard but then you're a scrublord

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't understand you plebes who don't realize that an Adept is the best class.

Jesus, I'm surprised you even have electricity and a computer to use in your mud huts.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Eregos posted:

I skip elevator rides because I suck

WTF is wrong with you?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Drifter posted:

I don't understand you plebes who don't realize that an Adept is the best class.

Couldn't hear you, was teleporting around with my Vanguard. :colbert:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I think we could probably agree that Adept is a great class, and Vanguard is a very FUN class. Who doesn't want to be a biotic pinball anyways?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Well, technically Vanguards are biotics. What's really fun is to take Dark Channel as your bonus power. Throw that, charge. Target explodes and dies, DC jumps to the next target. Charge that one. Rinse/repeat. With 200% cooldown plus bonuses you're ready to charge again before the charge animation even finishes.

What's cover, precious?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Vanguard is fun for five minutes.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

Alain Post posted:

Vanguard is fun for five minutes.

Well yeah, by that time you've zoomed through the entire game.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

losonti tokash posted:

Well yeah, by that time you've zoomed through the entire game.
:hf:

Vanguard is a ton of fun, but you need to play it like some heroin-infused madman. :black101:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
vanguard is way too samey

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The most fun way to play is Adept who only punches things.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sentinel or Engineer are the best classes, especially in 3. Sentinel lets you use BOTH space magic and science magic.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
Vanguard is way too hyperactive for my tastes. It was my favourite class in ME2 but now I feel the opposite. It just doesn't feel tactically realistic to be teleporting around in the campaign like some anime character, and it also spoils that sweet chase sequence on Mars that I wish more games would use.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
All the classes are samey, really.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

psyman posted:

Vanguard is way too hyperactive for my tastes. It was my favourite class in ME2 but now I feel the opposite. It just doesn't feel tactically realistic to be teleporting around in the campaign like some anime character, and it also spoils that sweet chase sequence on Mars that I wish more games would use.

Really? You thought the EDI chase sequence was sweet? :catstare:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Anything that can set up and trigger it's own Detonations (tech or biotic) is the best class equally. Say what you like about ME 3 having the easiest combat, (it did) it was also far and away the most fun.

It felt so, so good when you could set up chain reactions with squad members. Boom, BaBoom B-BOOM-oom!

Good times.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lycus posted:

All the classes are samey, really.

I actually really like the more gun-based classes in ME3 because the weapon selection owns.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

ME1 will always have a place in my heart for having one of the most satisfying final acts to a video game. Rush through an army of robots trying to kill you in your tank to teleport to the Citadel with a big OH gently caress HURRY UP counter, crash your tank on to a bunch of robots, get in the elevator, shoot your way out of the elevator and space-walk the right of the way shootin punk-rear end robots on the way.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

ME1 will always have a place in my heart for having one of the most satisfying final acts to a video game. Rush through an army of robots trying to kill you in your tank to teleport to the Citadel with a big OH gently caress HURRY UP counter, crash your tank on to a bunch of robots, get in the elevator, shoot your way out of the elevator and space-walk the right of the way shootin punk-rear end robots on the way.

It's easily the best climax of the three.

Also, if you happen to be playing the games back to back, the way it dovetails with the opening scene of ME 2 is glorious.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

You haven't played ME3 until you've played as a Krogan Vanguard on multiplayer though. You kinda forget that the game has guns in it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ME2 had a better climax than ME3, IMO.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Alain Post posted:

ME2 had a better climax than ME3, IMO.
Definitely. Though personally, I think I'll always put the climax of ME3's Tuchanka arc over all the final climaxes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I meant that it was better than ME1 lol. I don't hate ME3's ending but the last level on Earth is really anticlimactic.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Alain Post posted:

I meant that it was better than ME1 lol. I don't hate ME3's ending but the last level on Earth is really anticlimactic.

Giant Metal Space Baby is not a better climax than space walking your way up to Sovereign, sorry.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Whorelord posted:

also the tela vasir fight was amazing

unless you weren't playing as a vanguard but then you're a scrublord

One of my favorite things ever was when I fought her with my Vanguard. I think she had lift or singularity on and I charged her. Then she was nowhere to be found and I kept moving the camera to see what happened for a few seconds. Then I see her flying off in the distance of the map and suddenly the cutscene triggers.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Saren/Sovereign are punk rear end bitches that just run around getting shot at.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I beat Tela Vasir (assuming that's the LOTSB Asari Spectre) with an Engineer by having a tiny cooldown on the combat drone and constantly keeping her distracted by spamming it at her.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

One of my favorite things ever was when I fought her with my Vanguard. I think she had lift or singularity on and I charged her. Then she was nowhere to be found and I kept moving the camera to see what happened for a few seconds. Then I see her flying off in the distance of the map and suddenly the cutscene triggers.

I've also done this with Pull > Throw. It's pretty funny. Almost as funny as shooting the hostage.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

Waltzing Along posted:

WTF is wrong with you?

Ah. I meant I skip most of the elevator scenes. The beauty of the ME 1 10x slomo is that its very precise - you can speed up just the elevator portions where there isn't any special dialogue and stop the moment someone starts speaking. Usually the rides where garrus or wrex say something awesome you can tell because everything stays quiet for an extra moment longer at first.

Which reminds me, I still haven't found a complete youtube compilation of all of ME 1's elevator conversations. One probably exists though.

Eregos fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 2, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Since you can speed through the game now, I feel it is up to you to create such a video.

uaciaut
Mar 20, 2008
:splurp:
Welp just finished my ME2 new play-through since i've recently got a new PC that i can actually play ME3 on.

First impression is that a shitload of abilities are good and i have a really difficult time deciding what to pick.

Also i downloaded a ME1 infiltrator save for my ME2 play-through and i was curious why it let Kaidan live, holy poo poo he's useful as gently caress in ME3. Like seriously his skill set is better than my infiltrator-Shepard's by quite a bit as far as i can see and possibly better than most Shepard classes in ME3 from what i can deduce by looking at the wiki.
I seriously don't have the slightest idea if i should have Kaidan focu on biotic or tech powers D:

Prolly gonna keep James as a bullet sponge though, the few times i have to choose between weapon damage and mitigation i've went with the later.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Kaidan is great, Carth is great

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

uaciaut posted:

First impression is that a shitload of abilities are good and i have a really difficult time deciding what to pick.
At level 60 (which if you import a ME2 save you will reach) Shep will have 181 points (enough to max out 8 powers leaving 13 points available) and squadmates will have 90 points (enough to max out 4 of their 5 powers and level the 5th up to rank 3).
So go wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

uaciaut posted:

Like seriously his skill set is better than my infiltrator-Shepard's

You're doing it wrong.