Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

SubponticatePoster posted:

What they did with Kaiden/Ashley in 3 sucked because I had all of these saves where Kaiden was a greasy spot on the floor and then it turned out Ash was a boring drunk lamppost and Kaiden turned into a pretty chill (and useful) dude.
I dunno, Kaiden spent the first part of ME3 thinking he could spook me into yelling, "HEIL CERBERUS!" if he asked me point blank whether I was evil enough times. Then he turned into a whimpering puppy who just had to give up his whole life to be on my ship again. so I let him sit on the ship for most of the game while my actual cool friends and I saved the galaxy.

Ravel posted:

Even aside from all that, every species has basically one culture - they're either all space elves or noble space warriors or space pirates or whatever. The humans are all identical too in a nebulous American way.
That's one thing the Asari did right, at least. They could be political douchebags or piratey scumbags, while your allies were mostly nerdy loners.

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
K/A are the worst thing about the trilogy save the ending. Can we agree on that?

Col. Roy Campbell
Dec 19, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

K/A are the worst thing about the trilogy save the ending. Can we agree on that?

That and only one Salarian teammate. Come on, Kirrahe, let's go save the galaxy!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Drifter posted:

"gently caress me Qunari-style, Shepard. No, I meant doggy-style. They're all animals to me."

wait, is that for real? How do I replicate this if it's real

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Aces High posted:

What, you didn't see that renegade interrupt during the end of Horizon?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Aces High posted:

It's tricky.

You have to:

1 - Paragon Conrad in ME1.
2 - Renegade the reporter.
3 - Kill Wrex.
4 - Save the Council.
5 - Appoint Udina.

And you have to play as Sentinel. And be a female who romanced Liara and has initiated a romance with Jacob.

AND you have to bring a loyal Zaeed and Jack on the mission with you. No one else can be loyal yet.

Then you get that line.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - what was the 'K/A' thing you mentioned in your other post? What does that stand for?

Aces High posted:

Haha, no, that's not real. I was just paraphrasing her general xenophobic attitude in a manner that would mimic the creative artistry of the Bioware writers.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 12, 2014

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Although there is a line in ME 3 where she cracks wise about how good it is to be killing "Flashlight Heads" (Geth) again, because it's so much less morally ambiguous.

So yeah, still totally space racist.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Skippy McPants posted:

Although there is a line in ME 3 where she cracks wise about how good it is to be killing "Flashlight Heads" (Geth) again, because it's so much less morally ambiguous.

So yeah, still totally space racist.

To be fair, though, the war up until that point has been entirely about killing Geth (and solving daddy issues).

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Also a few other characters mention that they're glad the Geth are gone if you decide to kill them, Garrus included.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The geth were just betrayal.exe

Not worth keeping them around.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

On my Renegade run of the series I killed the Council, supported the Terra Firma Candidate, appointed Udina as the representative, kept Ashley, and have generally dicked over non-humans every chance I get. Manifest destiny! SPACE U-S-A! SPACE U-S-A! SPACE U-S-A! :fsmug:

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 12, 2014

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Save Kaidan for space Canada.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

sitchelin posted:

On my Renegade run of the series I killed the Council, supported the Terra Firma Candidate, appointed Udina as the representative, kept Ashley, and have generally dicked over non-humans every chance I get. Manifest destiny! SPACE U-S-A! SPACE U-S-A! SPACE U-S-A! :fsmug:

that sounds like my Space Racist run, even named my Shep Jim-Crow (because I'm not very creative) and made him all blonde and blue-eyed.

My Renegade run wasn't really a true Renegade run, it was more pragmatist and "not taking any of this poo poo" and that's how I was able to justify not killing Wrex, he'd been my space-soldier bro for the whole game so all he needed was some shouting at

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

If you made a space Aryan, a Sparyan if you would, wouldn't you want to name him Hans or Franz or Adolf?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

hey man, just because I hate aliens doesn't mean I want to murder them all, I just want them to get out of humanity's way :colbert:

That and the idea of a germanic name and Mark Meer's voice just...doesn't jive

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Aces High posted:

hey man, just because I hate aliens doesn't mean I want to murder them all, I just want them to get out of humanity's way :colbert:

That and the idea of a germanic name and Mark Meer's voice just...doesn't jive

Doesn't work when your character looks like Billy Dee Williams either.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

If you made a space Aryan, a Sparyan if you would, wouldn't you want to name him Hans or Franz or Adolf?

I named him German :D

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
This may be a silly question, but does anyone have a link to the series of fanart/webcomics this ME2 avatar was from?

The original post was here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3335211&userid=132942, but it was waffleimages, and they're all gone... :negative:, and they weren't sourced.
And the poster doesn't have PMs. :sigh:

I figure the regulars in this thread might be my best shot.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.
Curious, does the multiplayer still exist? Or did that get shut down or die?

coke zero mit mayo
Nov 5, 2008
Still works and you won't have any trouble finding lobbies. The thread here is still going, too: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3499990

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Last weekend I finally finished my back to back trilogy run for the first time. It was good. However, the most disappointing thing about the series is how mission design gets worse with every game. ME1's Ferros mission was the best. Land on a planet with little information, assess the situation, help the resistance, explore ruins, uncover space secrets and plot twists, kill a huge alien, advance plot. By the time you get to ME3 it's literally corridor->cutscene->room->cutscene.

I played mostly paragon soldier through all 3, ME1 on veteran, 2 and 3 on insanity. Romanced Liara, got Kasumi, and Zaeed killed in 2. Got Miranda and Mordin killed in 3. Cured the Genophage, made peace between the Quarians and the Geth, picked Synthesis because EDI and Legion (who both have reaper code in them) made me sympathetic towards synthetics. I essentially became Saren in the end. Assaulted the Citadel with the help of Geth to usher in a new form of existence.

Favorite role playing moment was beating the poo poo out of the Quarian Admiral, throwing him off my ship, and then lying to my subordinates about it - gotta appear professional.

EDIT.

Can you bring Legion to Tali's loyalty mission in ME2?
Renegade option: "Appoint Legion as Tali's lawyer".

White Phosphorus fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Nov 20, 2014

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

White Phosphorus posted:

Can you bring Legion to Tali's loyalty mission in ME2?

Yes, I do this every time because it's funny to gently caress with the quarians

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.
I feel like even mechanically, the gameplay improved in some areas and backpedalled in others. I don't really like global cooldowns, for example. And I liked biotics not just being magic missiles but having a variety of effects.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

White Phosphorus posted:

I played mostly paragon soldier through all 3
Have you played any of the other classes? If not, you really owe it to yourself to play some of the others. I did the same thing you did (well, I was only paragon soldier through 2 because 3 wasn't out yet) but I tried Adept and now I have a hard time playing anything else (except Vanguard). Adepts in ME1 are hilariously broken, but by 3 they get really fun to play when you map powers to buttons and limit how much you pause the action, and how you can bank them around corners. Plus, biotic and tech explosions! :hellyeah:

Aristobulus posted:

I feel like even mechanically, the gameplay improved in some areas and backpedalled in others. I don't really like global cooldowns, for example. And I liked biotics not just being magic missiles but having a variety of effects.
I disagree, global cooldowns made sure there weren't big variations in combat length. If you had fewer than five enemies, you just used every power and wiped the floor. If there were many more than that, you blew your wad then hid in cover waiting forever for things to recharge. With global cooldowns, the tempo was pretty consistent, and it favored strategies where you used quick-recharge powers frequently and saved the really big ones for when you need them.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Plus there is no greater satisfaction than having Liara chuck a singularity and then biotic throw some Cerberus chucklefucks like the scrubs they are

Kaizer88
Feb 16, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

I disagree, global cooldowns made sure there weren't big variations in combat length. If you had fewer than five enemies, you just used every power and wiped the floor. If there were many more than that, you blew your wad then hid in cover waiting forever for things to recharge. With global cooldowns, the tempo was pretty consistent, and it favored strategies where you used quick-recharge powers frequently and saved the really big ones for when you need them.

I always thought they should have done both ; make global cooldowns, but shorten them if you vary them up. Give incentive to have extra powers instead of "cooldowns up, use that one power you maxxed out instantly.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

White Phosphorus posted:

Last weekend I finally finished my back to back trilogy run for the first time. It was good. However, the most disappointing thing about the series is how mission design gets worse with every game.

I don't know if it's the most disappointing thing but it's definitely up there. Top 3, probably.

hectik
Dec 20, 2009

White Phosphorus posted:

Last weekend I finally finished my back to back trilogy run for the first time. It was good. However, the most disappointing thing about the series is how mission design gets worse with every game. ME1's Ferros mission was the best. Land on a planet with little information, assess the situation, help the resistance, explore ruins, uncover space secrets and plot twists, kill a huge alien, advance plot. By the time you get to ME3 it's literally corridor->cutscene->room->cutscene.

Yeah. Shame that there were so few "story missions" or whatever in ME1. Completing them really felt like I'd sorted out a big problem while solving a mystery like some like 007/Sherlock Holmes combo. Feros was good, but I liked Noveria better, despite it be more predictable. Something about the whole 'shooting up a secret facility' thing is pretty cool to me.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

no, they are better than tali or liara

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

hectik posted:

Yeah. Shame that there were so few "story missions" or whatever in ME1. Completing them really felt like I'd sorted out a big problem while solving a mystery like some like 007/Sherlock Holmes combo. Feros was good, but I liked Noveria better, despite it be more predictable. Something about the whole 'shooting up a secret facility' thing is pretty cool to me.

I hate the first part of Noveria where we have to get permission to go outside in a mako when we have one of our own in the ship that we drop from orbit all the time.

A whole bunch of running back and forth through a lifeless station, and no option to punch out the woman guarding the elevator.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Yeah but ME1 involves being a douche to that Alliance admiral who doesn't like aliens on your ship.

"it's my ship I'm a spectre blow me. Sir."

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

DarkHorse posted:

Have you played any of the other classes? If not, you really owe it to yourself to play some of the others. I did the same thing you did (well, I was only paragon soldier through 2 because 3 wasn't out yet) but I tried Adept and now I have a hard time playing anything else (except Vanguard). Adepts in ME1 are hilariously broken, but by 3 they get really fun to play when you map powers to buttons and limit how much you pause the action, and how you can bank them around corners. Plus, biotic and tech explosions! :hellyeah:

Yeah, I was thinking about doing a no gun renegade femshep run or something. Looking at the thread apparently there is a whole dimension to space magic that I didn't know was there. I spent all 3 games setting up base of fire and enveloping, or ordering assault and supporting.

Also, whoever was joking about playing as a reaper may be on to something.

Some kind of Start Control II/FTL/MOO2/RPG hybrid where you play as a derelict star ship/space monster that suddenly becomes aware. The plot of the game would be to discover your origin and purpose. Then you fly around the galaxy and subjugate/help various alien empires that you encounter.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

White Phosphorus posted:

Yeah, I was thinking about doing a no gun renegade femshep run or something. Looking at the thread apparently there is a whole dimension to space magic that I didn't know was there. I spent all 3 games setting up base of fire and enveloping, or ordering assault and supporting.

Also, whoever was joking about playing as a reaper may be on to something.

Some kind of Start Control II/FTL/MOO2/RPG hybrid where you play as a derelict star ship/space monster that suddenly becomes aware. The plot of the game would be to discover your origin and purpose. Then you fly around the galaxy and subjugate/help various alien empires that you encounter.

I'm on this train. Biotic Fem-shep has really opened my eyes to the awesomeness that is Mass Effect. The series was already one of my favorites, even discounting the flaws, but realizing that Jennifer Hale is such an awesome voice actor has renewed my interest. Renegade fem-shep is, hands down, the best.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?

Mister Macys posted:

This may be a silly question, but does anyone have a link to the series of fanart/webcomics this ME2 avatar was from?

The original post was here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3335211&userid=132942, but it was waffleimages, and they're all gone... :negative:, and they weren't sourced.
And the poster doesn't have PMs. :sigh:

I figure the regulars in this thread might be my best shot.

Google search by image finds one result, here.
http://starscream.dreamwidth.org/icons

My guess would be he custom created it, and its not part of a larger comic. It does have a neat style though.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Sorry in advance since this isn't technically ME3 related, but I didn't know where else to ask or look without getting the next 2 games spoiled for me. I'm playing the series for the first time finally and just finished ME1. Why during the ending of ME1 is everybody still freaking out about the Reapers returning? The AI guy on Virmire specifically says that if Sovereign is stopped before it opens the Citadel Relay, that the Reapers are all trapped in Dark Space because the Keepers won't open the relay anymore. Well....we stopped it, then 5 minutes later everybody's making speeches about banding together to stop the Reapers. What the gently caress?

I'm guessing the answer is "Well we wanted to make more games, so just ignore that part"+

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They can still fly to the galaxy conventionally. Coming in via the Citadel Relay is just their usual master plan.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lycus posted:

They can still fly to the galaxy conventionally. Coming in via the Citadel Relay is just their usual master plan.

The whole point is that unless they were just trying to shave off the final year of travel, not being able to mass effect would have meant an extra several centuries/millenia.

Or was that what happened with the Rachni Wars? Those were 300 years ago in the timeline, right? Harbinger was just SUPER impatient and that last monthlong bit of travel was just TOO MUCH for him, I guess.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
So their FTL drives are capable of traveling fast enough for that to be a relatively fast trip, they'd just rather pop out of the Citadel for extra surprise factor + taking over all the relays at once?

That makes sense actually, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

MrTheDevious posted:

So their FTL drives are capable of traveling fast enough for that to be a relatively fast trip, they'd just rather pop out of the Citadel for extra surprise factor + taking over all the relays at once?

That makes sense actually, thanks

Yeah. Coming in via the Citadel and controlling the network lets them instantly decapitate the most powerful nation(s) and isolate everyone else in systems, making for easy reaping with no losses. But they can still fly in if need be.

• Locked thread