Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
ME2 is a TV show, one with a lot of characters that has an overarching story that slowly advances as each episode, which can stand on its own, advances. Each episode focuses on a specific character and Shepard, until finally you hit the season finale and everything comes together.

That's how I've always felt, anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
DAO would have been fine with fewer sidequests and smaller dungeon type areas. It was still great but just so big. The dwarf thing didn't need to take...8? hours. That whole thing just went on and on and on. Cut the deep roads section in half and drop some of the dumber sidquests and it would have made a world of difference.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

DAO also has really badly balanced and boring combat with opaque mechanics and countless trap options. That certainly didn't help.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

White Phosphorus posted:

I too started playing Dragon Age Origins. And the damned side quests are as atrocious as in ME1. They are like an alpha version of a mod or a college project. If this poo poo was released in 1999 it wouldn't have gotten more than a 6/10.

You seriously overestimate the quality of games made in 1999.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I'm going to be one of those weirdos and say despite some seriously crappy aspects, I enjoyed Dragon Age II more than Origins.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sky Shadowing posted:

ME2 is a TV show, one with a lot of characters that has an overarching story that slowly advances as each episode, which can stand on its own, advances. Each episode focuses on a specific character and Shepard, until finally you hit the season finale and everything comes together.

That's how I've always felt, anyways.

The only way to improve ME2's structure is to make it so recruitment quests aren't split between two disks, so you can do them in any order.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

DAO also has really badly balanced and boring combat with opaque mechanics and countless trap options. That certainly didn't help.

The fastest way to come to the correct conclusion that all "Tactical RPGs" are a grognard blight that should be abolished from the gaming world forever is to load up Origins and watch your dude bang feebly on the bad guy for a full minute, using your cooldown-limited abilities only once or twice, before he finally goes down.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
Speaking of the Mako, ME4 is Bioware's chance to create a new "batmobile" of gaming like the Warthog in Halo. The Mako in ME1 was a rough draft, it had big room for improvement and shouldn't have been ditched. The Hammerhead was quite disappointing to me and inferior; it lacked the heavy duty feel of 6-wheel drive and was devoid of depth and features.

Bioware should take a leaf out of Battlefield's book: cockpit/exterior views, gas/brake on triggers, steering on stick, and functions (ammo, vision modes, countermeasures). I think DICE makes the best and most satisfying vehicles outside of racing games. Cockpit view is important too, it's not just for simulation racing games.

What I'm eager to see is a cinematic approach to a vehicle section, which I don't think has ever been done in a game. Imagine you're tearing through some future city in the new Mako in the normal rear view, then you reach a long high speed stretch and suddenly the camera snaps to a side-on view showing scenery blurring past in the foreground with the Mako in the background (like a movie car chase), then at the next checkpoint it snaps to a top-down view where you swerve and weave around, then an intense cockpit view, then back to side-on.

Halo had that potential, but it never evolved beyond unscripted sandbox gameplay where vehicles had little attention paid to them in the story or by characters, like throwaway transports. ME1 had a similar approach, and I think the next evolution is scripted linear/freeform just like on-foot action where the vehicle is a "character" itself and truly part of the team.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
i dont get all the dragon age inquisition love. it sucked total rear end and i returned that fuckin game within 8 hours and got dynasty warriors 8 instead.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
also whose dick do i gotta suck so that mass effect 4 lets me play as wrex / grunt as we conquer the galaxy for clan urdnot

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

i dont get all the dragon age inquisition love. it sucked total rear end and i returned that fuckin game within 8 hours and got dynasty warriors 8 instead.

It was aight but holy poo poo at all the collectathon quests. Like jesus christ.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

psyman posted:

Speaking of the Mako, ME4 is Bioware's chance to create a new "batmobile" of gaming like the Warthog in Halo. The Mako in ME1 was a rough draft, it had big room for improvement and shouldn't have been ditched. The Hammerhead was quite disappointing to me and inferior; it lacked the heavy duty feel of 6-wheel drive and was devoid of depth and features.

Bioware should take a leaf out of Battlefield's book: cockpit/exterior views, gas/brake on triggers, steering on stick, and functions (ammo, vision modes, countermeasures). I think DICE makes the best and most satisfying vehicles outside of racing games. Cockpit view is important too, it's not just for simulation racing games.

What I'm eager to see is a cinematic approach to a vehicle section, which I don't think has ever been done in a game. Imagine you're tearing through some future city in the new Mako in the normal rear view, then you reach a long high speed stretch and suddenly the camera snaps to a side-on view showing scenery blurring past in the foreground with the Mako in the background (like a movie car chase), then at the next checkpoint it snaps to a top-down view where you swerve and weave around, then an intense cockpit view, then back to side-on.

Halo had that potential, but it never evolved beyond unscripted sandbox gameplay where vehicles had little attention paid to them in the story or by characters, like throwaway transports. ME1 had a similar approach, and I think the next evolution is scripted linear/freeform just like on-foot action where the vehicle is a "character" itself and truly part of the team.

Unfortunately the actual Batmobile is probably going to beat them to that.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Actually, both of these games are awesome.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

sassassin posted:

The only way to improve ME2's structure is to make it so recruitment quests aren't split between two disks, so you can do them in any order.
You mean play it on PS3?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dragon Age: Stinkquisition.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm really enjoying DAOA so far. I hope things don't change as the smaller questing area is loads more efficient. There are still a ton of dumb sidequests but everything is so smooshed together it doesn't matter. Probably be starting DA2 by the weekend..

Really curious why it is so hated. And please don't explain as I am sure I will find out.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I liked DA2 ok. But I just played it and like folks who come in here and say "eh, ME3's ending wasn't bad" probably has a lot to do with lowered expectations and not anticipating the next installment for years only to have that excitement ruthlessly crushed.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
DA2 is just really really depressingly bad. It's clear in almost every moment you play the thing that the developers had something completely different in mind than what actually made it to release.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Alain Post posted:

DA2 is just really really depressingly bad. It's clear in almost every moment you play the thing that the developers had something completely different in mind than what actually made it to release.

It's worse because there are like a few really good ideas there that never get nearly enough development time.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

SubponticatePoster posted:

You mean play it on PS3?
Originally you could do the recruitment missions in any order, which meant you didn't have to wait until after Horizon to get Thane, Tali, or Samara (and Legion as well, I think). Due to the space limitations of the 360, and to cut down on switching discs, they instead split the recruitment missions into two separate groups. It's still that way on the PS3 and PC versions even though there is no need for disc swapping.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Just want to make sure before I mess something up on this playthrough. Can I save Tali's loyalty mission for after the IFF mission? I really want to take Legion on it but I will just make a different save to mess around with that if I have to. I do think it's pretty dumb that you can't just get Legion first and take him every where.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've done the IFF and both Legion/Tali's loyalty missions before. I think the only caveat is that you have to make sure you get the mission from Legion by talking to him in the AI core as soon as possible, because the kidnapping can trigger early if you haven't actually received the mission yet.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
You're fine as long as you've done all the other loyalty missions. Save Tali's, then do IFF. You get 1 mission before Legion will give you his, which will be Tali's. Then get Legion's, do it, and the "test IFF" poo poo will pop the next time you hit the galaxy map and you can immediately jump to the Omega-4.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Sweet. Thank you!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Hannibal Smith posted:

Originally you could do the recruitment missions in any order, which meant you didn't have to wait until after Horizon to get Thane, Tali, or Samara (and Legion as well, I think). Due to the space limitations of the 360, and to cut down on switching discs, they instead split the recruitment missions into two separate groups. It's still that way on the PS3 and PC versions even though there is no need for disc swapping.

:smith:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
You could also refrain from saving the crew for one play-through and take Legion almost anywhere except the earliest recruitments, but people place a poo poo-ton more importance on saving Kelly every time than I do, I think.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

What a bunch of debbie downers.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wish I learned how to do this on PC before I lost interest.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Lycus posted:

You could also refrain from saving the crew for one play-through and take Legion almost anywhere except the earliest recruitments, but people place a poo poo-ton more importance on saving Kelly every time than I do, I think.
It's not Kelly, the whole crew gets slurpeed except for Chakwas. So that's Ken and Gabby too :smith:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Lycus posted:

You wouldn't even need to do that, just get the IFF mission as soon as possible and then save before doing it. Then you can have two concurrent playthroughs, one where you do the IFF early and take Legion everywhere and one where you play "properly". I wouldn't like doing it but it would work.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

2house2fly posted:

You wouldn't even need to do that, just get the IFF mission as soon as possible and then save before doing it. Then you can have two concurrent playthroughs, one where you do the IFF early and take Legion everywhere and one where you play "properly". I wouldn't like doing it but it would work.

I wouldn't want to do that either. Playing twice with one character for that seems pointless to me, I just want to play and move on to ME3. If I really want to maximize Legion time, sacrificing the crew on that altar is no biggie. I've seen all their ME3 dialogue already. But I guess that's just me.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 17, 2014

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hannibal Smith posted:

It's still possible to play with any crew member on PC at any time using gibbed's editor, and I think you also get to hear their recorded dialogue as well. You just have to flag them as recruited and active IIRC.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm really enjoying DAOA so far. I hope things don't change as the smaller questing area is loads more efficient. There are still a ton of dumb sidequests but everything is so smooshed together it doesn't matter. Probably be starting DA2 by the weekend..

Really curious why it is so hated. And please don't explain as I am sure I will find out.

While the plot is terrible, and would be ruined if explained, there are other faults to the game which have nothing to do with the plot. For example (spoilered in case you absolutely don't want to see it, but I promise there's no plot related stuff): I hope you like running around the same maps over and over and over again with the game pretending that they're different locations

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

JawKnee posted:

While the plot is terrible, and would be ruined if explained, there are other faults to the game which have nothing to do with the plot. For example (spoilered in case you absolutely don't want to see it, but I promise there's no plot related stuff): I hope you like running around the same maps over and over and over again with the game pretending that they're different locations

Yeah I thought that was the primary problem with the game.

If you want to spend less resources on level design, make less sidequests.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 18, 2014

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

JawKnee posted:

I'm not one of the ME1 haters so this isn't as big a deal. I'm sure it is dumb but I will find out soon enough if it is bothersome.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It bugged me a bit, but I still liked playing the game okay.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Charlie Mopps posted:

You seriously overestimate the quality of games made in 1999.

Crap, you are right, Baldur's gate 2 came out in 2000. But there were Fallouts and BG1 before 1999.

Also, I like DA:O's combat. RTWP is is even funkier than in Infinity games, but the tactics are very sound. It's about synergy between party members. The only time you want to 1v1 something is if you want your tank to just draw aggro while you are trying to set up some combo. I never get tired of cone of cold, and then having my fighters rampage through the enemy line 1-shotting like 4 dudes. Playing on insanity difficulty.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm not one of the ME1 haters so this isn't as big a deal. I'm sure it is dumb but I will find out soon enough if it is bothersome.

I still love ME1 to bits (best in the trilogy imo) but DA2 gets real tiresome

didn't stop me from finishing it multiple times though :negative:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

White Phosphorus posted:

Crap, you are right, Baldur's gate 2 came out in 2000. But there were Fallouts and BG1 before 1999.

Also, I like DA:O's combat. RTWP is is even funkier than in Infinity games, but the tactics are very sound. It's about synergy between party members. The only time you want to 1v1 something is if you want your tank to just draw aggro while you are trying to set up some combo. I never get tired of cone of cold, and then having my fighters rampage through the enemy line 1-shotting like 4 dudes. Playing on insanity difficulty.

mass paralyze should've been named 'game trivialized'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well, I finished DAOA and Golems. I really liked the xpac other than the stupidity of it being almost impossible to finish Ohgrens quest. From what I read, you have to know it is coming and prep for it immediately and then push it even further with gifts. Bad design choice.

I hated Golems. Just a waste of time.

Witch Hunt later. Morrigan better have some loving mea culpa for my rear end.

• Locked thread