Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

I'd romance a geth long before I'd romance some of the races already romanceable ingame, like the drell. we had a geth companion in ME2 and we've already been able to romance several of the other squadmate "humanoid" races that we previously couldn't. joker has even hosed a robot at this point. bioware needs to just bring things to their natural conclusion and let us get gay with a robot in the next ME game.

We desprately need this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Get with the times Bioware hell even Fallout New Vegas let you get sodomized by a robot named Fisto.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There are lots of things we don't know about the Geth. Do they have gender, for example. I need to know this.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Gobblecoque posted:

Get with the times Bioware hell even Fallout New Vegas let you get sodomized by a robot named Fisto.

no I want to romance the robot not just get fisted and spill some seed <:mad:>

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I want to kill all the robots again

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

last night a friend stopped by while I was starting the Cerberus Assault mission and they came downstairs just as I had agreed to finish my romance with Garrus. His first comment was "wait that's interspecies, that's not cool man." to which I was kind of baffled, so I asked him "what's wrong with this relationship? They have strong feelings for each other" and he was just all "hey man, I don't have any issues with interracial but once you aren't a human anymore that is just wrong."

I wonder what his reaction would be if I showed him this as well :v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Pu7pzK28A

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mr. Fortitude posted:

If TIM can put mind control chips in people and people have false memories via indoctrination fuckery, I don't see why it couldn't work. Just create a heavily cyborg Kaiden/Ashley who falsely remembers Virmire and the Paragon option would make them remember in the penultimate confrontation and assist you in the fight for Earth in the background. It'd give Shepard a more personal vendetta against TIM too.

Why is a "more personal" vendetta against Tim a good thing? The opposition has always been ideological, with clashes the result of circumstance as interests conflict.

Oedipus didn't intend to kill his father, but could not stop along his path.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Ironically if you don't bang your mother she dies.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

sassassin posted:

Why is a "more personal" vendetta against Tim a good thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SF_-YXjvoY

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The thing with Leliana at least had a somehow logical explanation, since she was killed over the urn of Dragon Age Jesus, whose ash was explicitly said to have miraculous healing properties. Bringing back the victim of a nuclear explosion is a thousand times worse. Letting the Virmire victim stay dead was a good thing Bioware did, I can't believe people are advocate for the opposite.

Technomancer
May 7, 2007
For all your technomagical needs

sassassin posted:

I love it when the fanfiction in this thread makes less sense and is more cliched than the actual games, which have never strived to make complete sense, and are deliberate homages to piece of genre fiction.

There are really good set pieces in ME3, and some really good dialogues too. Mordin's sacrifice is so well done, as is Tuchanka in general. Then right after that I went to do the Rachni mission and was mortified that Grunt seemed to die at the end - after all, Mordin just did. I don't much like Samarra because of her code, just as I don't like Thane's philosophy of not taking responsability for his body's actions under order, but I really liked their actions in ME3. I think Traynor, Vega, Cortez and EDI (aside from the sexbot aspect, although they do mitigate it by making jokes about it) are really well made. Liara's two big scenes (preparing capsules for the next cycle and the last moment of peace on Earth) were very nice. And the gameplay is the best of the three games.

I love the game in general, otherwise I wouldn't be here. But there are some really cringeworthy scenes, and for me, those with Kai Leng are definitely the worse. Worse than the Starchild (at least he makes a bit more sense after Leviathan).

I do think that the idea of a cyber-zombie Virmire survivor is ridiculous. Why would Cerberus spend all this money and energy to rebuild someone who is a complete unknown? Also at this point, they had no idea Shepard would be working for them.

Edit: typos.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I disagree with all of that. Tuchanka in general is bad (with a decent scene at the end), joking about making a sexbot makes it worse not better, Liara sucks, the gameplay is the worst of the three games, Cerberus' amount of money and energy is irrelevant and functionally infinite, Kai Leng owns, the starchild has become worse with every revision they've made to the game, and you don't have to love the game to post in what used to be a massive unreadable circlejerk of a thread.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

sassassin posted:

used to be

Are you sure about using the past tense here?

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
Mass Effect 3, the Multi player should have been terrible and was great, and the single player should have been great and turned out terrible. I wonder if someday we will get the real scopp behind the game we were promised and the one we got after they missed all the deadlines and had the money guys all over them.

If they do make a ME4, not sure how they retcon the disaster of a story.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
They are making ME4 and they're setting it in another galaxy, so that answers both of those questions.

Technomancer
May 7, 2007
For all your technomagical needs

sassassin posted:

I disagree with all of that. Tuchanka in general is bad (with a decent scene at the end), joking about making a sexbot makes it worse not better, Liara sucks, the gameplay is the worst of the three games, Cerberus' amount of money and energy is irrelevant and functionally infinite, Kai Leng owns, the starchild has become worse with every revision they've made to the game, and you don't have to love the game to post in what used to be a massive unreadable circlejerk of a thread.

Serious, why are you still here, then? The game's been out for three years. I don't discuss games I didn't like three years ago.

Or you're trolling. It's a crapshoot, I guess.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Technomancer posted:

I don't discuss games I didn't like three years ago.

All experiences, good and bad, must be examined if we are to grow as people.

Accusing me of trolling is a cowardly attempt to discredit me and protect your own narrow viewpoint. Do not hide from contrary opinions.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
personally I value all the opinions on the somethingawful.com games forum equally

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Aces High posted:

last night a friend stopped by while I was starting the Cerberus Assault mission and they came downstairs just as I had agreed to finish my romance with Garrus. His first comment was "wait that's interspecies, that's not cool man." to which I was kind of baffled, so I asked him "what's wrong with this relationship? They have strong feelings for each other" and he was just all "hey man, I don't have any issues with interracial but once you aren't a human anymore that is just wrong."

I wonder what his reaction would be if I showed him this as well :v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Pu7pzK28A
Now show him a FemShep/Liara romance and see if he still thinks it's wrong :v:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The guy who says Mass Effect 3 is bad in this thread is definitely trolling and trying to rile people up.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fursonally I think ME3 is cool and that only an insane person would think that ME1 was better in any way, but hell, we all have opinions.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Alain Post posted:

Fursonally I think ME3 is cool and that only an insane person would think that ME1 was better in any way, but hell, we all have opinions.

I don't give a poo poo about the rest of the post but saying the combat is better in 1 and 2 is just silly.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Alain Post posted:

The guy who says Mass Effect 3 is bad in this thread is definitely trolling and trying to rile people up.

Like I said, all these 'Mass Effect fans' don't actually like Mass Effect.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Only real Mass Effect fans post here, please. Like me.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Alain Post posted:

There are lots of things we don't know about the Geth. Do they have gender, for example. I need to know this.

Greetings, this platform identifies with the "Xir/Xis/Xith" pronoun designation.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hell if it's fine with xir it's fine with me.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Mass Effect 1 is buggy and fairly shite.

Mass Effect 2 owns. Character development especially.

Mass Effect 3 owns. Combat especially.

when is ME4 coming out to make everyone stfu?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I don't give a poo poo about the rest of the post but saying the combat is better in 1 and 2 is just silly.

The combat in 1 benefits from decent encounter design (let's ignore sidequests because only idiots do more than a couple of them) where you move through environments with pre-placed enemies. In 3, 95% of combat has you enter a room, crouch behind a box and enemies either file in the opposite door or get air-dropped in in waves. It's lazy and poo poo.

In ME3 you are too powerful. Rolling isn't a bad addition but it makes fights much easier. Every power you can throw can detonate with others, with tiny recharge periods. And then they stripped layers of protection out of even Insanity. Everything works all the time. Garbage game design.

Relatively restricted movement/ability uses/ability usefulness makes for more interesting fights, because you can make mistakes. In ME1, using warp to counter the regen of a krogan has a dramatic impact on your chance to win (also lifting it up as it charges). In 2 you have to take down its biotic barrier to get to its soft gooey centre. For the same kind of fight in 3 you could throw out 2xoverload and kill it instantly with a tech explosion, it's all functionally the same. This is tedious.

Missions can be completed on the hardest difficulty by just sitting back and letting your squadmates shoot things with Sabers. This is bad gameplay.

Multiplayer ME3 is slightly different because the enemies are balanced to the effectiveness of the player, plus the skilltrees of classes are more limited than Shepard's. But it's still a spam-fest at higher difficulties and only fun in short bursts unless grinding is your particular cup of tea.

Single-player ME3 combat loving sucks, and I blame everyone who praised LotSB, because that's where it started going down hill. The earlier games had problem areas, too, but they threw the handsome baby out with the bathwater, while the plain baby managed to cling to the tub.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
In line with what I've just said, Grissom Academy is good. The mech piloting is bad, but the early areas are well thought out.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

sassassin posted:

In ME3 you are too powerful. Rolling isn't a bad addition but it makes fights much easier. Every power you can throw can detonate with others, with tiny recharge periods. And then they stripped layers of protection out of even Insanity. Everything works all the time. Garbage game design.

Not sure what you mean by ME3 not having 'layers of protection'. The red/blue/purple/yellow health system is still there. Speaking of garbage game design, ME2 literally starts you off with a grenade launcher that is effective against everything.

sassassin posted:

Relatively restricted movement/ability uses/ability usefulness makes for more interesting fights, because you can make mistakes. In ME1, using warp to counter the regen of a krogan has a dramatic impact on your chance to win (also lifting it up as it charges). In 2 you have to take down its biotic barrier to get to its soft gooey centre. For the same kind of fight in 3 you could throw out 2xoverload and kill it instantly with a tech explosion, it's all functionally the same. This is tedious.

Two overloads in a row doesn't cause a tech explosion. The situation you just described is essentially the same thing as ME2, just bring your slew of coloured powers to knock down the corresponding coloured health bars with some mechanics like detonating explosions to speed it up a bit.

sassassin posted:

Single-player ME3 combat loving sucks, and I blame everyone who praised LotSB, because that's where it started going down hill. The earlier games had problem areas, too, but they threw the handsome baby out with the bathwater, while the plain baby managed to cling to the tub.

It actually started going downhill when they gave 5/6 character classes an SMG.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I found ME2 combat to be way easier than ME3 combat because ME2 is decidedly lacking in coverbusters; as long as you're patient enough to just sit behind cover there's only like 3-4 missions that are even slightly challenging. Garrus' recruitment mission, the last room in Horizon, the Collector Ship, the Suicide Mission. Everything else is a cakewalk. In ME3 they'll at least grenade your positions.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Every time I look in this thread sassassin is saying Kai Leng is good and somehow people continue to take him seriously.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Kai Leng is good. Mass Effect 1 is really bad though.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Also did somebody say "post fanfiction in this thread"?

quote:

shepard has to stop the reapers, and there's this big fuckin' fleet of them and she's like "poo poo guys, that's a lot of reapers, I don't think we can take them" and then loving WREX shows up, not with a fleet or anything, its just wrex and he's floating through space with a jetpack and hes all "believe in yourself shepard! lets gently caress em up!" and shep is like "...Okay." and then the music kicks in and she airlocks herself and highfives wrex in space and climbs on top of his jetpack and surfs wrex into the reaper fleet and then the camera pulls back and its like a loving supernova and everyone is all "oh god is shepard dead?!" and then the radio turns on and its shep and she's all "i'd just come back again" and everyone starts cheering and you see her and wrex cruising out on a flaming piece of reaper and they're going really loving fast because the explosion and slam into the presidium tower and shep just jumps off the wreckage and starts running towards the council platform and the turian councilor sees her and it zooms in on his face and he's like "gently caress." and shep makes a big loving jump and the music slows down and then she punches him so hard he smashes through the wall and flys out into space and explodes for some reason and everyone is like "wow shep you're our hero" but she's all hosed up from all the fighting so she just like "gently caress right i am" and blacks out and then it cuts to a hospital a few days later and shep tali garrus and wrex are in body casts complaining about jello and then udina comes in and hes all "SHEPARD DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THIS COSTED THE DEPARTMENT" but then he trips and falls on his face and everyone starts laughing and then it freeze frames and then the credits roll.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That's not erotic fanfiction about Legion.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

How about we be able to choose our character's race in ME4

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

frajaq posted:

How about we be able to choose our character's race in ME4

I'm updating my list of people in this thread with good opinions from being just me, Dan Didio, and sassassin to include you now

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Plom Bar posted:

Also did somebody say "post fanfiction in this thread"?
Those were better days.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

El Mido posted:

Not sure what you mean by ME3 not having 'layers of protection'. The red/blue/purple/yellow health system is still there. Speaking of garbage game design, ME2 literally starts you off with a grenade launcher that is effective against everything.

With limited ammo. The heavy weapons resource management is good design.

ME3's coloured bars are just that. They're rarely actual layers, and 99% of enemies are just single bar hit em with anything wastes of time. Compare that with armoured husks in ME2 which were either a real hassle or a a fun time if you brought someone with shockwave (aka the best power).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Plom Bar posted:

Every time I look in this thread sassassin is saying Kai Leng is good and somehow people continue to take him seriously.

Is this another "I'm too dumb to actually engage in a discussion so I'm just gonna accuse the other party of trolling" post?

• Locked thread